• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Google Chrome |OT|

sca2511

is there any way to disable Chrome from auto-completing URLs? The only way I got that to work was clearing the cache/history and unchecking auto-complete, but that's only temporary. This is the only thing that's holding me back from being a full time Chrome user.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Th new CR-48 update, or Chrome OS, too, I guess, is cool. We can actually change our user account pictures. We can also decide who can log in. New font for the time. Looks unfinished and hideous. What's up with those gray spots at the top left and right? No more block window icon unless there's another window open. Smart and it was my idea :)

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
Does anyone who uses the Image Properties extension have a problem with part of it being cut off (like this)

A comment on the extension page posted that. I don't see the problem here and I don't understand how it's happening when it's using the CSS3 box layout and the content shouldn't be bigger than its container.

thanks

kehs

Banned
When did Google start a TV campaign for chrome?

There was a Chrome ad on just now during SNL. A tie in with itgetsbetter.rog.

Very cool.

Drewsky

Is there an extension that highlights threads you've posted in? I love Neogaf User Highlighter but I don't think it has that functionality, does it?

Jasoco

Banned
Drewsky said:
Is there an extension that highlights threads you've posted in? I love Neogaf User Highlighter but I don't think it has that functionality, does it?
No, it just highlights threads you created. I wish it would highlight ones you posted in. But is that information available within the code? The extension can only highlight it if it can tell from the code that you posted in it.

Some forums mark threads you participate in with a new icon. But this one does not.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
Drewsky said:
You wouldn't need one if you just changed your subscription settings, though it's not retroactive.

subrock

subrock said:
anyone else getting weird behavior with the download bar on the latest dev version. Files that would normally launch their respective program like an mp3 are no longing behaving like that. instead they download, the download bar minimizes, and nothing is launched.
looks like its a documented bug. gonna have to ride this one out I guess. annoying

NGAMER9

This may sound really stupid to most, but is there any extension or way to change the highlighter in Chrome? I mean how it highlights tons of blank space when skipping lines or whatnot.

Jasoco

Banned
NGAMER9 said:
This may sound really stupid to most, but is there any extension or way to change the highlighter in Chrome? I mean how it highlights tons of blank space when skipping lines or whatnot.
That's the way WebKit works.

On another note, 13 seems to have broken the updater again.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
Jasoco said:
That's the way WebKit works.

On another note, 13 seems to have broken the updater again.

I'm starting to wonder if Microsoft's idea of previews is better

the dev channel has been a mess for months now. It's just so random in that some things break for seemingly no reason. And then they fix that, skip something, put a new version number on it, leave it, break something else like the updater or clicking.

I mean, isn't the canary build suppose to catch basic stuff like that? it's stuff that is instantly noticeable to most people and it still gets released.

Jasoco

Banned
I just signed up for Read It Later and installed their Chrome extension for adding links to the site for later. But is there a companion extension that shows a pop-down list of all the links I have saved? So I have one for adding links and one for viewing and reading them? Or even a Mac menu bar application or something?

Anything other than having to have a bookmark for http://readitlaterlist.com/unread in my Bookmarks menu/bar. If not I'll just create one of my patent pending "Links in an Extension" like I made for FaceBook and Twitter. But I'd prefer a pop-down list of all the links.

Jasoco said:
I just signed up for Read It Later and installed their Chrome extension for adding links to the site for later. But is there a companion extension that shows a pop-down list of all the links I have saved? So I have one for adding links and one for viewing and reading them? Or even a Mac menu bar application or something?

Anything other than having to have a bookmark for http://readitlaterlist.com/unread in my Bookmarks menu/bar. If not I'll just create one of my patent pending "Links in an Extension" like I made for FaceBook and Twitter. But I'd prefer a pop-down list of all the links.
Yea there is, use the Adder and the Manager

Jasoco

Banned
GhostRidah said:
Yea there is, use the Adder and the Manager
Thanks! They both go together and that's awesome! This will help keep my tab bar uncluttered with all the links I open and never get around to reading or watching.

I just wish the Adder had the option the other extension had to close the tab after adding it.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
My Mom keeps getting random, annoying popups. Microsoft Security Essentials, Spybot, Malwarebyes and CCleaner didn't get rid of the cause. Reinstalling it didn't work and when I tried to delete all the Chrome related files, there were five I was unable to. Any ideas?

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I swear Chrome 13 dev branch has been sucking for me on GAF lately. It'll become basically unresponsive sometimes ie I can't click on shit or submit replies and stuff. It just clicks and does nothing.

Jasoco

Banned
It works fine for me. Except for the updater that for some stupid reason keeps downloading 12 and failing to install it. So I'm going to have to go back to my "Check Wikipedia occasionally and download the DMG manually when it updates" system.

Who else has hidden their URL bar? It's awesome!

Edit: Welll, I might have spoken too soon. I hate that the drop-down URL bar moves across the screen depending on the position on the tab. I need it stationary. :/

Jasoco

Banned
If you're talking about the Canary feature, are you using Command/Control+L to make it appear or clicking the tab? What would it matter where it is? The focus should already be in it when you activate it.

Jasoco said:
If you're talking about the Canary feature, are you using Command/Control+L to make it appear or clicking the tab? What would it matter where it is? The focus should already be in it when you activate it.

I use keyboard shortcuts, so I do use Win+L.

But I also like using search suggestions. When I use that and get results, the drop down is not in one place. I am used to just looking in one location to look at the suggestions. Now I have to know where my tab is positioned. 10-15 tabs, 30inch monitor. Feels a bit like a tennis match.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Couldn't click on some other shit too randomly. Just uninstalled, hunted the remaining folders (sync rules for this!), and registry cleaned. Then did a reboot and clean installed. Soo easy since I have cloud backup. So far so good, but we shall see!

Jasoco

Banned
A Human Becoming said:
After she uninstalled Chrome she had none and it still happened.
It's not Chrome then. It's Windows. She installed spyware/trojan/virus/malware. Definitely. I guarantee* it.

It's a program in the background launching URL's in whatever your default browser is.

*Not a guarantee

Jzero

Jasoco said:
It's not Chrome then. It's Windows. She installed spyware/trojan/virus/malware. Definitely. I guarantee* it.

It's a program in the background launching URL's in whatever your default browser is.

*Not a guarantee
it probably is one

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
So before I could run Combofix I had to uninstall AVG, which I had problems with before uninstalling. So I reinstalled it and for the heck of it, scanned the system. It found a bunch of trojans, which I brushed off as AVG just sucking. Then when I opened Chrome, it detected a trojan, the one that ended up being the cause. I'm surprised AVG was able to find it when Spybot, Malware Byes and MSE weren't.

Jasoco

Banned
Hmmm... interesting. I am starting to wonder if my updater problems aren't Google's fault but rather my own fault.

I have Chrome installed on both my Mac mini and my MacBook. The MacBook is where I am constantly switching between Chrome versions whenever one version sucks or not. But on the mini I am usually just using whatever with a lot less switching.

So today my mini's Chrome gets the ever elusive "Update has been installed!" green arrow. And is now updated to the latest Dev. However my MacBook, which had the same version of the Dev keeps trying to install 12.

I wonder if Google's automatic background updater has gotten confused at which version is running? Maybe I should try removing the auto updater daemon and try reinstalling Chrome again. I'd stick with Dev 100% if it didn't break a lot. And I'd stay with a Beta or stable release if I didn't hate not being on the bleeding edge. What a conundrum!!!

mclaren777

Changes to the navigation bar in C13...

http://www.tested.com/news/heres-how-google-chrome-13-will-cut-the-nav-bar/2351/

HodGt.jpg

Jasoco

Banned
I don't like it. Maybe back in my Firefox days when I would compress everything into one bar, but even then I needed the bar visible. I don't like having it hidden. I hope it remains an option.

Anyway I'm cleaning up my extensions disabling all the ones I don't use and I notice I have 5 NeoGAF extensions I do use. I wish I could merge them all into one single NeoGAF extension.

neoGAF - Extra Three Buttons
NeoGAF Messages
NeoGAF Quick Reply
NeoGAF User Highlighter
NeoGAF: Quick Edit

Also, I wish the Extra Three Buttons extension would work with the Quick Reply and Quick Edit extensions since those are the two places I ever post from but I can't use the Spoiler button because I never go to the actual post page. And when I edit I can't use it at all. I think it should be built-into those extensions. Actually someone please merge them all into one for Chrome. I would appreciate it greatly. And would rather not have to do it myself.

Jasoco said:
I don't like it. Maybe back in my Firefox days when I would compress everything into one bar, but even then I needed the bar visible. I don't like having it hidden. I hope it remains an option.

Anyway I'm cleaning up my extensions disabling all the ones I don't use and I notice I have 5 NeoGAF extensions I do use. I wish I could merge them all into one single NeoGAF extension.

neoGAF - Extra Three Buttons
NeoGAF Messages
NeoGAF Quick Reply
NeoGAF User Highlighter
NeoGAF: Quick Edit

Also, I wish the Extra Three Buttons extension would work with the Quick Reply and Quick Edit extensions since those are the two places I ever post from but I can't use the Spoiler button because I never go to the actual post page. And when I edit I can't use it at all. I think it should be built-into those extensions. Actually someone please merge them all into one for Chrome. I would appreciate it greatly. And would rather not have to do it myself.
Uninstall User highlighter and install Live Thread. It includes user highlighter.

D4Danger said:
It doesn't include other scripts.

I think someone hacked together a greasemonkey version that does but the Chrome one is separate.
I see well then I'm wrong :p but yea 3/5 of my extensions are gaf extensions. Would be cool to combined them all.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
MatthewB92 said:
I see well then I'm wrong :p but yea 3/5 of my extensions are gaf extensions. Would be cool to combined them all.

If someone wants to do it I don't mind if they use my code.

I had planned to make a new version anyway but then Evilore mentioned gaf is getting an update soon so I'll wait 'til then.

Jasoco

Banned
If someone isn't going to do it, I'm going to make my own personal one... probably... if it works with me like it should.

Top Bottom