• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Google Chrome |OT|

Jasoco

Banned
So far so good. Got Quick Edit and Three Buttons merged so far.

Edit: And it works. Plus Three Buttons now works with the Quick Reply extension.

Edit: But not the Quick Reply part.

Jasoco said:
So far so good. Got Quick Edit and Three Buttons merged so far.

Edit: And it works. Plus Three Buttons now works with the Quick Reply extension.

Edit: But not the Quick Reply part.
If you get stuck I can try to help if you want. =) I'm kind of addicted to javascript atm.

Jasoco

Banned
Testing the Quick Reply. BTW, now that I merged the extensions, the three buttons no longer apply themselves to it. That will come as a fix later. When I finish merging the last extension I use and the two I don't currently.

Now to try the highlighter. After I finish, someone else can take the extension and possibly polish it. I don't want to be the one who has to maintain it. Especially since it was created by multiple people.

Also, I plan on merging my own "NeoGAF Popup" extension into this monstrosity. I think the whole thing should become a sort of community project. Since I am betting eventually updates to each extension piece would probably break other parts.

Though in the end I was really doing this for myself. And so far haven't actually edited any of the code. Just dropped the files into place and crossed my fingers. The only code I've edited so far is the Manifest to add the permissions and code references.

Edit: It works. And so does the inline editor still.

Having trouble with the User Highlighter part though. It's the most complex extension of the 4 I use since it actually uses preferences. It doesn't seem to be saving the settings. I guess it's not saving the user data or cookie or something. I'll keep fiddling with it for a while before I give up.

Edit: Now it works. User Highlighter uses a minified version of jQuery 1.4.2 while Quick Reply uses a non-minified version of jQuery 1.5.1. I wasn't including the 1.4.2 one because I figured they'd conflict with each other. Now that I put it back into the Unified extension all four parts work. Genius. Wish I didn't have to include both versions though. Seems redundant.

Now to add my own extension and maybe some other GAF extensions... or just my own and then I'll hand it over to whoever wants to take control of it. Or I could. I just don't want to have to put up with conflicts if and when the individual extensions are updated. Plus I'll have to add options to disable each part. Or not. I don't really care. I guess if someone was using this it'd be because they wanted it all. So why bother adding options to disable? I dunno. Not sure yet.

Editing again since no one has replied and I don't want to double-post: Success in adding my own "NeoGAF Launch Panel" extension to the mix. It places a button in your extensions area that pops down a neat panel for launching NeoGAF's three most important pages as well as listing opened NeoGAF tabs in the current window. I use it all the time.

Jasoco

Banned
Well right now I do have the 4 extensions "Quick Reply", "Quick Edit", "User Highlighter" and "Three Extra Buttons" implemented as well as my own extension. I need to make Three Buttons apply itself to the Quick Reply and Quick Edit code because it sucks it doesn't right now, but I bet it could be an easy fix. If I take a few minutes to look at the code for each one.

When I get something solid, I would like to submit it to Google so I can have it sync to all my Chrome browsers. But of course I would need permissions from all the extension creators.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
Well, I did create a script, NeoGAF: Quick Quote, Reply, and Edit, that merged my Quick Edit and Quick Reply scripts. It also has the ability to multi-quote. However, the extra three buttons are probably going to be released in the next update.

Edit: Safari/Chrome's buttons in the quick edit form do not work, unlike Firefox and Opera.

Jasoco

Banned
I have successfully added the Live Update extension.

I'd also be interested in the quick quote portion of that script. Mind if I take a gander? I think a unified extension could be of some interest to many users.

Jasoco

Banned
Not really that easy. Maybe eventually. If you're using those two extensions only you might as well just use those two. A unified extension would be more for people who want it all.

Right now the extension I made simply includes all the files. Really the only file I've edited myself is the manifest. In order to put in an option to disable certain parts I'd have to edit the options and merge all the JavaScript files into one place with IF's and THEN's.

I'd rather keep the code all separate as it would be easier to update when changes come to the original extensions and scripts.

Jasoco

Banned
So question, with the hidden address bar, do you still get your toolbar extensions? I can't try it right now because it's apparently Windows only for now.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
Jasoco said:
So question, with the hidden address bar, do you still get your toolbar extensions? I can't try it right now because it's apparently Windows only for now.

They're still there you just need to click the tab to see the address bar

4s3Hb.png

I'm not sure I like this after using it for an hour or so. The address bar keeps popping in and out and it's a bit annoying.

also, the back/forward/wrench icons are hard to see if you have a dark background and Aero enabled on Windows 7. and there's no home button.

Jasoco

Banned
No, I mean the other extensions. The buttons that are site-agnostic. Not the ones inside the location bar. Do they still sit next to the wrench?

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
Jasoco said:
No, I mean the other extensions. The buttons that are site-agnostic. Not the ones inside the location bar. Do they still sit next to the wrench?

oh, no. I don't see them.

I guess they're removed. That's probably a deal breaker for most people.

Jasoco

Banned
Interesting. Also, side note but why does the Windows version waste so much space? I'm talking about that space above the tabs and below the window controls. On OS X there isn't nearly that much waste. Mainly because the space above the tabs is thinner and the controls are a lot smaller.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
Jasoco said:
Interesting. Also, side note but why does the Windows version waste so much space? I'm talking about that space above the tabs and below the window controls. On OS X there isn't nearly that much waste. Mainly because the space above the tabs is thinner and the controls are a lot smaller.

the window isn't maximized. I dragged it off the top to take the screenshot.

It normally looks like this

Jasoco

Banned
Yeah. I just saw that. At least it's only windowed mode. Still wastes a little too much horizontal space between the wrench and minimize button. But better than windowed mode. The only thing that bugs me is that the wrench and navigation buttons are too dark for my theme. My theme is a dark color and the buttons are meant for the light background. All the existing themes will need to be tweaked to add separate colors for address-less mode.

As6u1.png

Just installed Canary in Windows 7 to check it out. I assume those buttons will appear in time.

I look forward to trying it out in OS X when they implement it into the Dev build.

Edit: Also, Chrome in OS X Lion is still screwed up in Fullscreen, but at least it gets its own space now. The top bar becomes broken and the scrollbar is a weird combination of the new and the old. Baby steps. Baby steps.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
What's the keyboard shortcut for adding the "www." and ".com" to whatever you type in the address bar(OSX)? On Firefox I can just type cnn, then hold 'command' and hit 'enter.' Can you do something like this in chrome?

GhostRidah said:
enable 2d canvas in about:flags

hmm.. now it plays a video for a few seconds before showing a black screen followed by a blank screen that is burgundy.
I guess you just can't use shitty built in video card for this... oh well.

bangai-o

Banned
i there a way to

be logged into google account, favorite a webpage via browser, automatically favorited to your favorite page on your account.

Jasoco

Banned
bangai-o said:
i there a way to

be logged into google account, favorite a webpage via browser, automatically favorited to your favorite page on your account.
You can use Sync. It will sync whatever you choose to your Google account and between computers where you set it up to sync including Chromebooks.

I however use a combination of sync and Xmarks. Xmarks for bookmarks and sync for everything else. Then I can have MT bookmarks on all my browsers where Xmarks is available.

Ashhong

i asked this before but dont think i got a response. i want to start using sync but i have like 3 computers to sync. if i start now, how will it handle my bookmarks and extensions? will it merge them all? will it choose 1 main account and make all of my other computers identical to that one account?

mollipen

bangai-o said:
i there a way to

I use "Yet Another Google Bookmarks Extension", but that goes to Google Bookmarks as part of your service. I guess I'm not sure what the "favorites" on an account are, and how they relate.

Jasoco

Banned
Ashhong said:
i asked this before but dont think i got a response. i want to start using sync but i have like 3 computers to sync. if i start now, how will it handle my bookmarks and extensions? will it merge them all? will it choose 1 main account and make all of my other computers identical to that one account?
Use Sync for everything except bookmarks. Use Xmarks for bookmarks. It gives you options for syncing and merging and lets you revert to older bookmark sets in case you fuck something up or delete a bookmark you needed.

Don't use Google Chrome's sync for bookmarks at the same time as Xmarks though. That will result in a double bookmark tree with two copies of everything as the two syncing services fight against each other.

Xmarks is recommended because it works across platforms and has a web based site for viewing bookmarks on devices where you can't sync them.

Ashhong

Jasoco said:
Use Sync for everything except bookmarks. Use Xmarks for bookmarks. It gives you options for syncing and merging and lets you revert to older bookmark sets in case you fuck something up or delete a bookmark you needed.

Don't use Google Chrome's sync for bookmarks at the same time as Xmarks though. That will result in a double bookmark tree with two copies of everything as the two syncing services fight against each other.

Xmarks is recommended because it works across platforms and has a web based site for viewing bookmarks on devices where you can't sync them.

Oh ok, what about extensions?

Jasoco

Banned
It won't sync all the saved preferences each extension creates. So my Personalized Web Options custom scripts and CSS and HTML need to be manually copied to my other computers, and in the case of my Chromebook where this is impossible I have to copy and paste all the data myself. Basically it makes it so you have to set up each extension for each computer separately. I don't see why it can't sync that. But at least it syncs the extensions. As soon as you sign in on the second computer it will download all the extensions you use and all your settings and stuff. If you use Xmarks instead it will download the Xmarks extension, then you can just sign in through it and have it download your bookmarks from there. I recommend this option (Sync - Bookmarks + Xmarks) if you need to sync your bookmarks to other browsers like Safari, Firefox and IE. If you just use Chrome, then just use the built-in Sync option to sync bookmarks.

Step 1: Set up Sync in Options/Preferences under the "Personal Stuff" page, but customize it to turn off Bookmark syncing.
SSQzB.png

Step 2: Go to Xmarks.com and download the extension for Chrome.
Step 3: Set up Xmarks sync. For the first computer (The main bookmarks set) choose to delete bookmarks on server and keep the ones on the computer. For each subsequent computer choose the opposite to delete local and download the server set.)
kLyU0.png

Step 4: Repeat for each computer with Chrome.

Or if you don't need to use other browsers, just do step 1 but keep Bookmarks syncing on. (Just remember if you keep Bookmarks turned on for Sync, but also use Xmarks, you will end up with two conflicting sync systems duplicating your bookmarks list.)

Jasoco

Banned
added_time said:
I don't know if it even counts as a video card... just whatever bad onboard video comes with my pre-built ACER computer...
Oh. Boy oh boy. Yeah. Probably some shared graphics card. Can probably find out what it is in System uh.. Profiler? What does Windows call it? Right click My Computer.. wait... does your Windows have that anymore? Damn, I'm no help anymore. System Properties? It's probably in Control Panel somewhere now. Depends on if you have Windows XP, Vista or 7. All three are in different places I think.

hEist

so, the "new adress bar" isn't in the canary build of the mac version? or am i wrong?
downloaded the currently canary build of the developer center.
can't find the option @about:flags @mac.

Ashhong

Cool thanks for the sync advice. It's nice having my extensions synced. Cleaning up my bookmarks bar now, and I noticed theres a folder called Other Bookmarks that I can't seem to delete and its empty. Everyone else have that?

alekth

Using the Windows dev build (which is now at 13), and never seen the new address bar. Glad about it actually, need my plug-in buttons.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
Ashhong said:
Cool thanks for the sync advice. It's nice having my extensions synced. Cleaning up my bookmarks bar now, and I noticed theres a folder called Other Bookmarks that I can't seem to delete and its empty. Everyone else have that?

it's the default location for your bookmarks. You can't remove it.

alekth said:
Using the Windows dev build (which is now at 13), and never seen the new address bar. Glad about it actually, need my plug-in buttons.

you have to enable it in about:flags first

Stable Channel was updated to 11.0.696.71 on Tuesday.

Stable Channel -- 11.0.696.71 (05/24/2011)

Security Fixes
-- [72189] Low CVE-2011-1801: Pop-up blocker bypass. Credit to Charnal De Silva.
-- [82546] High CVE-2011-1804: Stale pointer in floats rendering. Credit and $1,000 reward to Martin Barbella.
-- [82873] Critical CVE-2011-1806: Memory corruption in GPU command buffer. Credit to Google Chrome Security Team (Cris Neckar).
-- [82903] Critical CVE-2011-1807: Out-of-bounds write in blob handling. Credit to Google Chrome Security Team (Inferno) and Kostya Serebryany of the Chromium development community.

Bug Fixes
-- [83197] REGRESSION: selection extended by arrow keys flickers on LinkedIn.com.
-- [81686] Have ConnectBackupJob try IPv4 first to hide potential long IPv6 connect timeout.
-- [82172] Mac plugin crashes are too low in stats.
-- [82424] Incorrect ACLs on the archived copy of setup.exe.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
I have a Maps question, does anyone know if it's possible to draw a path on it and then it'll calculate the km? (not using normal streets, but literally through buildings etc).

Top Bottom