• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Google Chrome |OT|

mollipen

Man, the Mac Dev builds of Chrome have turned into hot garbage for me. Like, really, really, bad since maybe the last update? (Or possibly the one before it.) I've always used the Dev build and gotten along just fine, but now I might have to switch to a different version. I'm so behind on the three builds of Chrome (stable, beta, dev?) - can I go down to beta and be fine?

Futureman

Chrome has been running like crap for me recently. Running on a MacBook Pro from last year.

I always have GMail, Google Voice, Google Music, and Calendar ALWAYS pinned.

Is it possible having these tabs pinned all the time can make Chrome run slower?

I've been getting a TON of "This plugin has crashed: Shockwave Flash." Could that be related to Google Music maybe?

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
So has anyone noticed if they've removed the connect to aim feature of gmail chat?
It doesn't work for me anymore, and I can't find it anywhere on the labs page.

Jtwo said:
So has anyone noticed if they've removed the connect to aim feature of gmail chat?
It doesn't work for me anymore, and I can't find it anywhere on the labs page.
Might have something to do with the recent integration of aim and google contacts or something.

This might help but I am not sure Lifehacker article

mclaren777

I'm astounded that Google keeps making meaningful improvements to Chrome without addressing the glaring color management issue.

Garcia

Chrome is just getting faster for me. I barely use Firefox these days due to the tremendous speed gap of both. <3 Chrome.

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
I usually leave Chrome open all the time, but lately, the build up of the tabs is starting to get out of hand. 3 tabs can go over 500k if I don't end the process (which is one thing I really enjoy, I can just kill the tabs without having to close and restart the browser). I dunno if it's some extensions I'm running (I am running a lot, but individual, only Chromed bird ever gets out of hand) or if it's just the browser itself. Anyone else finding this to be a problem?

Jasoco

Banned
I have started using Read It Later for storing tabs I don't feel like putting up with right now so I can keep my tabs less cluttered.

So I've been switching back and forth between Chrome and Safari and thought I'd port over my NeoGAF Enhancements extension - so if anyone wants it, you can get it from here. I'm quite proud of how it turned out :)

Edit: Actually I think it's not working right now! Haha. Hold on.

Edit 2: Fixed it but I don't think I got updates working properly so you'll have to re-download it. :p

My favorite new extension:

Cloud Save
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/omiekjeapoonbhiemenfoccbdpeagdah#

Save right to any one of several cloud storage apps including Google Docs, Amazon Cloud and Dropbox.

Ashhong

Treefingers said:
So I've been switching back and forth between Chrome and Safari and thought I'd port over my NeoGAF Enhancements extension - so if anyone wants it, you can get it from here. I'm quite proud of how it turned out :)

What is in it? It just installed the extension without description of what it does

Echoplx

Ashhong said:
What is in it? It just installed the extension without description of what it does

zBAIr.png

Quacking

Treefingers said:

Edit 2: Fixed it but I don't think I got updates working properly so you'll have to re-download it. :p
I'm gonna install it. :p

Ashhong

Does that work together with all of Andrex's extensions or is it it's own thing? Just wondering if theres any need to have Andrex's installed if I just check mark the ones in there

Quacking

Ashhong said:
Does that work together with all of Andrex's extensions or is it it's own thing? Just wondering if theres any need to have Andrex's installed if I just check mark the ones in there
I don't know about that extension, but I'm already in love with the one of 3chopl0x, nice job man!

Quacking

3chopl0x said:
wait wut? It's not my work i just posted a screenshot :p
I'm so sorry, you are right! It's almost 5 am here and I still have to sleep, so my brain is a little fucked up. xD

Well congrats Treefingers then! :lol (lol is back :lol )

EDIT: There's no way to highlight also the threads where I posted?

Quacking said:
I'm so sorry, you are right! It's almost 5 am here and I still have to sleep, so my brain is a little fucked up. xD

Well congrats Treefingers then! :lol (lol is back :lol )

EDIT: There's no way to highlight also the threads where I posted?
Not at the moment, I have some ideas on how to get that working though.

Also I put out another quick update just fixing a couple of small things. Not sure why updates aren't working, I might just put it on the web store.

Quacking

Treefingers said:

Also I put out another quick update just fixing a couple of small things. Not sure why updates aren't working, I might just put it on the web store.
Perfect, I'll check for your updates again, and congrats again. :p

Ashhong

Treefingers said:

I'm still confused. So this new extension is a standalone extension right? I deleted the old Quick Reply extension I had and now its just gone, doesn't work with the new extension.

Echoplx

Ashhong said:
I'm still confused. So this new extension is a standalone extension right? I deleted the old Quick Reply extension I had and now its just gone, doesn't work with the new extension.

Did you go into the settings and tick the 'enable quick reply' box?

Ashhong

3chopl0x said:
Did you go into the settings and tick the 'enable quick reply' box?

Yes of course lol

edit: just did a clean install. uninstalled Andrex's things and all that and now it works. Will you be incorporating Quick Edit into yours as well?

Ashhong said:
Hm, actually its not working on OSX. Cant get the quick reply or smilies, or extra buttons to show.
Odd, which version of OS X & which version of Chrome? I can look into it when I get home.

Also does anyone know if there is any way to remove favicons from the bookmarks bar?

So 12 was just pushed to the stable channel and brought those horribly tacky text-faded tabs with it.
Did anyone ever figure out a way to disable the text fade? It really does look as bad as everyone warned about.

Echoplx

added_time said:
So 12 was just pushed to the stable channel and brought those horribly tacky text-faded tabs with it.
Did anyone ever figure out a way to disable the text fade? It really does look as bad as everyone warned about.

I'm on dev 13 and they seem to be gone, might have to wait for a new version that changes it again?

3chopl0x said:
I'm on dev 13 and they seem to be gone, might have to wait for a new version that changes it again?

13 gets rid of it? That's great to hear. I'm surprised they would push something this ugly through at all. They usually seem very conscious of a nice clean looking style.

Jasoco

Banned
The current 13 Dev seems to be really buggy. It wouldn't even load half the sites. Including Google itself. And at load tabs didn't want to load until I clicked them. So I'm once again back to 12.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
my chrome developed a HUGE delay when trying to navigate to websites (even just going to google, haha!) so i just switched to firefox.

what is this the story with this? i type a URL, and it sits there for two minutes then maybe--MAYBE--goes.

gcubed

louis89 said:
What's this "experimental new tab page" in 12? How do I see it?

their latest dev update has fixed my issues. I guess i've been lucky since this has only happened twice all the time of my chrome usage (where a dev build was straight up unusable).

to see the new tab page use "about:flags" in the address bar, its down the bottom of the list, not sure how it looks on 12, but the dev version has cleaned up some issues it's had. I can't wait till they get rid of the old one.

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
gcubed said:
The latest dev 13 is a huge streaming pile of shit and unusable.
agreed, though they finally fixed the flickering issue between tabs on Windows machines in the latest build. that said, i've migrated back to Firefox 5 beta, which seems much more solid all-around.

such is the life of those living on the bleeding edge!

louis89

gcubed said:
their latest dev update has fixed my issues. I guess i've been lucky since this has only happened twice all the time of my chrome usage (where a dev build was straight up unusable).

to see the new tab page use "about:flags" in the address bar, its down the bottom of the list, not sure how it looks on 12, but the dev version has cleaned up some issues it's had. I can't wait till they get rid of the old one.
Cool, thanks

mclaren777

My standard Chrome just updated to v12 and I really don't like the fade at the end of tab names.

Is there any way to change that?

Ramma2

mclaren777 said:
My standard Chrome just updated to v12 and I really don't like the fade at the end of tab names.

Thanks, didn't notice that until you pointed it out.

Can't unsee.

gcubed

mclaren777 said:

wait until the next version where its gone I guess.

Jasoco

Banned
I hope that by the time Lion comes out, Chrome Mac has side tabs and they don't disappear when you go into fullscreen mode. The one thing I hate is fullscreen hides the tabs and omnibar. I like how Safari handles fullscreen.

Edit: I just tested it out and man is it ugly. I can't believe they haven't fixed this up. But the nice thing is they stay visible even in fullscreen. I just want to be able to make them narrower and less ugly.

KiKaL

Anyone know of how I can get my bookmarks to not get repeated on different machines? I have the same set of bookmarks on my machines and when Chrome syncs instead of merging it just add all the folders again.

I tried using Xcode and that seemed to be even worst.

Jasoco

Banned
KiKaL said:
Anyone know of how I can get my bookmarks to not get repeated on different machines? I have the same set of bookmarks on my machines and when Chrome syncs instead of merging it just add all the folders again.

I tried using Xcode and that seemed to be even worst.
Use Xmarks and turn off Bookmarks in Google's Sync preferences. Xmarks will sync between pretty much everything.

Top Bottom