• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Google Chrome |OT|

kehs

Banned
I hope profiles get released to the stable line soon. I'm setting up a bunch of GApps accounts and I can't wait until I get those users straightened out with chrome.

<3 Chrome/Google Apps

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Copernicus said:
I hope profiles get released to the stable line soon. I'm setting up a bunch of GApps accounts and I can't wait until I get those users straightened out with chrome.

<3 Chrome/Google Apps

You're like a stepbrother or something. :p

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
quadriplegicjon said:
It's not just the gestures, but the integrations with Mission Control and the spaces.
Which I'm counting as gestures. Most of that stuff was already there in some capacity or another, Lion just made it better. Almost like it was an OS revision or something... I don't mean to downplay Lion. The new fullscreen/MC/spaces is something I'm REALLY looking forward to. I just can't help but giggle at how upset some people are getting.. truly blinded by the whizbang effect of some nice animations.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Jasoco said:
Canary does. Also, why are we still on this?
What are you talking about? Did you read my post or did you just see Fullscreen and Chrome and flip out? I meant Chrome OS, as per the discussion.

I remember when Jasoco used to be such a nice guy. Now he's obnoxious and flies off the handle all the time in every thread I see.

noah111

Still Alive
Err, I read your post and thought the same thing as Jas due to the context, so maybe you're kinda over stating it a bit, or just edit your post..

Only threads i've seen Jasoco 'flip out' (not really) is the ones with redundant discussions, he's still the same helpful poster last i've cared to check..

OT: Can anyone confirm the ReadItLater app in Chrome works offline without checking the list online before going off?

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
More related to his posts in general rather than the post I quoted. He's pretty angry as of late.

B!TCH

how are you, B!TCH? How is your day going, B!ITCH?
Edit: Nevermind. Figured out the solution to my problem with a hard reboot.

kehs

Banned
Man, setting the taskbar to autohide and maximizing Chrome is awesome, I wish it was more tightly integrated into windows though. Like if I could just do a mutli touch motion (not to be confused with a gesture) to switch apps without knowing what I'm switching to.

offtopic, I'm really digging the start page for chrome with recent/apps/bookmark I just wish the location was somewhere else. middle of the screen near the bottom feels weird.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, a while ago I set up a pretty intricate spaces set up on snow leopard to try and emulate what I want my lione workflow to be like.

Basically, four spaces. Arranged in a single row.

1: fullscreen chrome for webbrowsing
2: twitter, finder, adium, terminal, etc
3: maximized itunes
4: fullscreen chrome with Gmail, Greader, Gvoice, Gmusic, Gdocs all in pinned tabs.

It works perfectly! I have to use a keyboard shortcut to swipe back and forth, but its effectively the same thing. I think whenever I do upgrade, I'll probably end up running my google suit/space4 in safari, lol. Having all the nice animation/gesture features would be super cool for my "chromeOS space."

kehs

Banned
Hey andrex, tell the chrome team to allow me to modify shortcuts.

ctrl+z >>>>>>>>>> ctrl + shift + t

and another thing....

So annoying, incognito mode uses the pinned taskbar space, but profiles doesn't. wtf yo, I want that bitch inverted for the most used profiles to use the pinned space.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
All my NeoGAF Chrome extensions in one thread: Smilies, Messages, Quick Reply, Image Upload, and +1.

Copernicus said:
Hey andrex, tell the chrome team to allow me to modify shortcuts.

ctrl+z >>>>>>>>>> ctrl + shift + t

and another thing....

So annoying, incognito mode uses the pinned taskbar space, but profiles doesn't. wtf yo, I want that bitch inverted for the most used profiles to use the pinned space.

I have my taskbar set to never combine like the true master race. :p But that does sound odd, file a bug on crbug.com.

As for Ctrl+Z I had an extension that did it for a while after switching from Opera, lemme see if I can find it... This one maybe?

kehs

Banned
Andrex said:
All my NeoGAF Chrome extensions in one thread: Smilies, Messages, Quick Reply, Image Upload, and +1.

I have my taskbar set to never combine like the true master race. :p But that does sound odd, file a bug on crbug.com.

As for Ctrl+Z I had an extension that did it for a while after switching from Opera, lemme see if I can find it... This one maybe?

Oh god....you're on of those? (taskbar related)

I think the profile thing is intended though...I just don't like it. /rebel.

There's two thing keeping me from moving over to chrome full time.

- No ctrl+z to undo close tab
- No native gestures for mouse (godly, apple-crazy-alliance-inducing level)
- I have an unexplainable allegiance to Opera.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Opera's super cool. They're a close #2 but I haven't used it in a while.

The undo thing, that's pretty small. It's just one more key. And the last time I used Opera, they had just changed that shortcut in the default config away from Ctrl+Z anyways. I always set it back, though.

Never been a fan of mouse gestures.

kehs

Banned
Andrex said:
Opera's super cool. They're a close #2 but I haven't used it in a while.

The undo thing, that's pretty small. It's just one more key. And the last time I used Opera, they had just changed that shortcut in the default config away from Ctrl+Z anyways. I always set it back, though.

Never been a fan of mouse gestures.

Nah, it's still ctrl+z, you'd probably see meltdown thread from me if that happened.

I'm just more used it since every other program I literally used undo every few minutes.

p.s. mouse gestures own.

Anteater

Copernicus said:
Nah, it's still ctrl+z, you'd probably see meltdown thread from me if that happened.

I'm just more used it since every other program I literally used undo every few minutes.

p.s. mouse gestures own.

Yea I was just looking for a ctrl+z and undo extension for chrome, none of them work the way opera does I think, most of the undo extension doesn't give you the full history of the undo'ed tabs, and they don't use the ctrl z shortcut, hopefully someone write one or they add this feature in.

Bboy AJ

How does ctrl z make sense for un closing a tab? Ctrl t opens a new one so ctrl shift t should un close it. It's not ctrl y to open a new tab. Undo is related to typing, not to actions.

You Opera people are not right in the head.

Anteater

Bboy AJ said:
How does ctrl z make sense for un closing a tab? Ctrl t opens a new one so ctrl shift t should un close it. It's not ctrl y to open a new tab. Undo is related to typing, not to actions.

oo I didn't know there's a shortcut for undo in chrome, thanks! I don't need this silly extension then!

and what's wrong with ctrl z? It's still undo for text boxes in opera, if you do ctrl-z on the page outside of the textbox, it undo closing a tab, what doesn't make sense for you? or were there any conflicts with using that particular shortcut for you?

Bboy AJ

You're welcome!

It just doesn't make sense for me. Undo means undo typing to me. It's not a universal undo. If I open a tab with a particular keyboard shortcut, the undo tab should be similar to the new tab combo. Ctrl z is not similar in my mind since I think of typing when I think of ctrl z. Habits, I suppose, considering ctrl t is only one key off of ctrl z.

Anteater

Bboy AJ said:
You're welcome!

It just doesn't make sense for me. Undo means undo typing to me. It's not a universal undo. If I open a tab with a particular keyboard shortcut, the undo tab should be similar to the new tab combo. Ctrl z is not similar in my mind since I think of typing when I think of ctrl z. Habits, I suppose, considering ctrl t is only one key off of ctrl z.

Yea, I guess opera just treats ctrl+z as some kind of universal undo for last operation, user closed a tab by mistake, so he uses ctrl-z to undo, now you mention the ctrl+t thing, I guess that also makes sense.
Ctrl+shift+T works in opera too, I just checked, I just didn't know of this shortcut before, well mind blown :lol

Does anyone have a problem with pages automatically scrolling down when you open them without you doing anything?

For example, just now when I went to the reply page, it automatically went down.

kehs

Banned
Bboy AJ said:

I spend most of my day on programs that use ctrl z to undo stuff . Its just etched into my brain.

Plus with opera new tabs are opened with a mouse gesture so I'm not used to using ctrl t.

edit: Hope they add the ability to open up a specific profile from the taskbbar in the quick list menu (w7). That'd be radtacular.

Jasoco

Banned
Oh, sweet. The newest Canary in Lion got the yellow "find this text" markers back when in "disappearing scrollbar" mode. Yay!

noah111

Still Alive
Jasoco said:
Oh, sweet. The newest Canary in Lion got the yellow "find this text" markers back when in "disappearing scrollbar" mode. Yay!
Just saw this as well, nicely integrated. After a while using it now, here's what I don't like;

Previously closed tabs are no longer as easily accesible, why put them in a pullup menu when you have plenty of space to put them in a bar like before?

Also, I want easier access to history/downloads via the 'new tab' screen

Chris R

Put me in the camp that doesn't understand the fullscreen hype at all. Might be different if I only had an 11" screen, but on my 23/24" screens I don't see the point (Windows 7 or Lion)

Chrome has replaced ff for my main browser now. Dev tools are the best too, firebug is terrible. Only thing I don't like is that Chrome complains about being unresponsive if I try to open a link from outlook and makes me restart with no open tabs vs just opening a new tab :/

Oh and Chrome finally has some basic print preview features now!

noah111

Still Alive
Not sure how much I would use it on a 24"+ but on my 15" MBP i'm loving it. I described it previously as the feeling of me running nothing but Chrome/iPhoto/whatever on my system.

Just everything out of the way completely, like Chrome OS whenever I want it (visually at least).

I think it would still be useful on a big screen for certain things (perhaps not chrome) such as iPhoto, bunch of albums in fs looks beautiful, or iTunes album grid view.

It's simply a no-pixels-wasted, and more importantly, clutter-less environment to work with.

f0rk

My computer randomly forgot settings for a few programs and now I'm having a hard time getting the omnibar to work like it used to. Before I would type 'youtube cute kittens' and the youtube should turn into a blue box and it would search youtube. Same with wikipedia. It's stopped working though, and it looks like the relevant settings are all right. Any help?

Jasoco

Banned
rhfb said:
Put me in the camp that doesn't understand the fullscreen hype at all. Might be different if I only had an 11" screen, but on my 23/24" screens I don't see the point (Windows 7 or Lion)
It's really more beneficial on smaller screens. Large ones probably won't gain much at all. Also, Windows 8 is going to make huge use of the Lion-style fullscreen metaphor as well when it comes out.

kehs

Banned
Jasoco said:
It's really more beneficial on smaller screens. Large ones probably won't gain much at all. Also, Windows 8 is going to make huge use of the Lion-style fullscreen metaphor as well when it comes out.

You mean the taskbar on hide and maximized window metaphor, right?

f0rk said:
My computer randomly forgot settings for a few programs and now I'm having a hard time getting the omnibar to work like it used to. Before I would type 'youtube cute kittens' and the youtube should turn into a blue box and it would search youtube. Same with wikipedia. It's stopped working though, and it looks like the relevant settings are all right. Any help?

I have to type youtube, then hit tab to start searching. And you can hit tab earlier, so I usually type "y,tab,'cute kittens'" I've never been able to just type "youtube cute kittens."

Jasoco

Banned
Copernicus said:
You mean the taskbar on hide and maximized window metaphor, right?
No, a lot of apps will be designed for touch screen tablets and will take up the full screen much the same way as Lion, except made for fingers instead of cursors. They'll also use gestures to switch between apps and W8 also will have the ability to show two of these apps side-by-side. It's all in the Windows 8 thread somewhere around here. Fullscreen "Tablet" apps will not show the taskbar, but W8 will let you still run normal apps in the regular Windows environment if you need or want to, but you also have the option of using the fullscreen versions. It's basically the same thing as Lion except with tablets in mind instead of Magic Trackpad enabled laptops and desktops.

Of course, it's still early and MS likes to change stuff a lot before it's released so anything you Google for may not exist anymore.

Bboy AJ

Copernicus said:
p.s. I was just ribbing you jasoco.
He doesn't get it. Just like the people who don't get Lion full screen.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
So I have a strange issue with Chrome and not other browsers.

Whenever I play a flash game, the progress of the game is never saved once I shut down the browser. As long as I keep the browser opened, I can reopen the page and my games are saved, but as soon as I quite Chrome, it's gone. This does not happen in other browsers.

Anybody have this issue? Any solutions?

blanky

I'm really starting to dislike the omnibox. I want my bookmarks to be the first thing to pop up, even if i dont visit them a lot, I bookmark them for a reason. But I get randomn websites I never visited that just start with those letters first or my bookmark never even appears! Is there any way I can mess around with this?

Bboy AJ

blanky said:
I'm really starting to dislike the omnibox. I want my bookmarks to be the first thing to pop up, even if i dont visit them a lot, I bookmark them for a reason. But I get randomn websites I never visited that just start with those letters first or my bookmark never even appears! Is there any way I can mess around with this?
Ctrl shift b is probably your best work around. I don't know if you can get bookmarks to be the top omnibox hits, though.

Top Bottom