• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Google Chrome |OT|

kehs

Banned
blanky said:
I'm really starting to dislike the omnibox. I want my bookmarks to be the first thing to pop up, even if i dont visit them a lot, I bookmark them for a reason. But I get randomn websites I never visited that just start with those letters first or my bookmark never even appears! Is there any way I can mess around with this?

That's why there's a bookmark section in the browser.

Sean

Banned
ezekial45 said:
Quick question, is there a good video downloader extension for chrome? I need to get a from a flash player that's not youtube.

I've read before that it's not possible due to limitations in Chrome's extensions implementation. That was last year though so I dunno if anything has changed since then. I'd really like something like Firefox's "Download Helper" extension, that's the only reason I ever launch Firefox anymore.

Does the latest Chrome Dev 15 work for people? Mine doesn't. When I close the browser, it is still open in task manager (Windows), and the Omnibar doesn't load pages or searches without me clicking it. And sometimes trying to delete a bookmark causes the browser to freeze.

Jasoco

Banned
Sean said:
I've read before that it's not possible due to limitations in Chrome's extensions implementation. That was last year though so I dunno if anything has changed since then. I'd really like something like Firefox's "Download Helper" extension, that's the only reason I ever launch Firefox anymore.
Firefox allows access to much deeper functions of the browser than Chrome does which is why Firefox's DownloadHelper can grab the raw URL from a Flash Video and offer it for download. It's the only reason I keep Firefox around.

The day Chrome allows a DownloadHelper port, I won't need FF anymore. Until then I don't mind launching FF occasionally to download a video occasionally. It only takes a second anyway. I mean I don't find myself needing to download videos that often.
Unless it's pr0n.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
ezekial45 said:
Quick question, is there a good video downloader extension for chrome? I need to get a from a flash player that's not youtube.

you could try using the Web Inspector Network panel

press "ctrl + shift + C" to bring it up and then click the "network" button

reload the page, wait for it to finish loading then press play on the video player and see if it makes a request for the video

you can then just grab the url it requested

Jasoco

Banned
D4Danger said:
you could try using the Web Inspector Network panel

press "ctrl + shift + C" to bring it up and then click the "network" button

reload the page, wait for it to finish loading then press play on the video player and see if it makes a request for the video

you can then just grab the url it requested
That seems to work on YouTune at least. The video ended up being the "generate_204" entry for some reason. If Chrome ever offered access to this, I'm sure someone would make an extension.

But it doesn't seem as easy to figure out on other sites.

Command+Shift+C on OS X

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
Jasoco said:
That seems to work on YouTune at least. The video ended up being the "generate_204" entry for some reason. If Chrome ever offered access to this, I'm sure someone would make an extension.

Command+Shift+C on OS X

Chrome has some experimental APIs that I think would work for this sort of thing

http://code.google.com/chrome/extensions/experimental.webNavigation.html
http://code.google.com/chrome/extensions/experimental.webRequest.html

Jasoco said:
But it doesn't seem as easy to figure out on other sites.

yeah, it doesn't always work due to the way some sites have their servers set-up

a lot of sites though just use flash as a container and request an .mp4/.flv file which shows up in the network panel.

Jasoco

Banned
D4Danger said:
I'd give anything for an experimental DownloadHelper (Or the like. If it acts the same and lets me view a list of and download any videos attached to any Flash video players on the page.) using them. I already run Canary anyway. I'd install it unpacked.

I'd make it myself if I even knew where to start.

Mik2121

I'm on Mac OSX Lion and read somewhere here that there was some new version of Chrome that already supported some stuff like the two fingers to go to last page, and normal full-screen shortcut. But I don't seem to be able to find it? My Chrome is up to date, so I guess I need to download one of those dev versions. Which should I get? I dunno much about this :(

Jasoco

Banned
Chrome Canary for Mac supports all the Lion features.

I think one of the Dev or Betas does too, but not sure if it's complete yet.

http://dev.chromium.org/getting-involved/dev-channel

Canary will not use the same profile as Chrome for safety reasons, but if you set up sync in both browsers, it'll make sure both are the same, sans all your extension preferences for some reason.

Shepard

I'm curious, wich chrome channel are you guys using? I'm in beta right now, thinking if it's safe to use the dev version as my main browser. Should I fear new security holes, is it safe to browse in my bank's account?

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
Shepard said:
I'm curious, wich chrome channel are you guys using? I'm in beta right now, thinking if it's safe to use the dev version as my main browser. Should I fear new security holes, is it safe to browse in my bank's account?

yeah, it's fine.

Security updates are pushed out all the time for every channel so I don't think one more secure than the other.

Shepard

D4Danger said:
yeah, it's fine.

Security updates are pushed out all the time for every channel so I don't think one more secure than the other.

Thanks, I'll go with the dev version then, it's nice to test new features more often!

Jasoco

Banned
The latest Canary now has a new Extensions page integrated into the Preferences/Options page:

ibqGMLfIUaJZxj.PNG

luiztfc

Is there any extension for downloading videos? I used Ant Video Downloader, but they don't have a chrome version...

And, is there one for streaming videos?

kehs

Banned
Latest updates on dev adds profile picture to the taskbar....so awesome, exactly what I was waiting for.

Since they seem to read my notes and implement them:

Implement launching profiles from the jumplist.
angry.gif

Jzero

Copernicus said:
Relaunch it.
No, they actually removed it.

The Beta channel has been updated to 14.0.835.159 for Windows, Mac, Linux, and Chrome Frame.

This release disables chrome:flags. We are currently investigating some stability issues and are looking to see how greatly flags usage contributes to our stability metrics, hence we are temporarily disabling them. To see what other changes went into this release check out our change log.

If you find a new issue, please let us know by filing a bug.

Anthony Laforge
Google Chrome

Jasoco

Banned
They've been doing it for a while. But I've only seen it on Windows. I don't know if they do it on OS X if you install fresh as I've been running it since the Mac version was released, but I've installed fresh on Windows a few times.

Also, who uses Ask.com? Or Yahoo! for that matter?

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
StormyTheRabbit said:
Since launch.

oh.

First time I've seen it and I wasn't sure why they decided to do it now.

I got it just now when I opened Chrome on my laptop. Probably a bug or something then.

It does it on OS X too.

I was wondering, does anyone have an estimate on when the stable version of Chrome will have all the lion stuff canary has? I like using it, but my extensions keep crashing.

Dug

Banned
Gah, Google Chrome has decided to glitch up on me. Whenever I type in a website address/click on one it loads and doesn't stop loading. So essentially I am stuck in a loading loop and can't get to any webpages. Help? Using Google Chrome 14 by the way.

Uh, someone help me.

I've got a new computer since a month or so, and I've installed a bunch of software on it that I like to have. Chrome being one of them. However, I've never been able to run Chrome. I just click the chrome icon and nothing happens. No biggie, since I mostly use FF, and in those rare cases that I need another browser, I just resort to IE. However, after all this time it's starting to annoy me, I want a working Chrome. I decided to delete the browser and start again. But that doesn't do anything either.

Long story short: Chrome.exe doesn't work, uninstalling Chrome doesn't work either. Nothing happens, at all.

The internet doesn't make me any wiser. Perhaps some of you have any ideas?

Are there any plans for Chrome to implement the iOS-style "double-tap to zoom" feature Safari uses in Lion? I just downloaded the Canary build for OSX and it doesn't seem to be included.

I've grown pretty attached to this feature using Safari in fullscreen mode and its exclusion is the only thing keeping me from sticking with Chrome.

clav

Souldriver said:
Uh, someone help me.

I've got a new computer since a month or so, and I've installed a bunch of software on it that I like to have. Chrome being one of them. However, I've never been able to run Chrome. I just click the chrome icon and nothing happens. No biggie, since I mostly use FF, and in those rare cases that I need another browser, I just resort to IE. However, after all this time it's starting to annoy me, I want a working Chrome. I decided to delete the browser and start again. But that doesn't do anything either.

Long story short: Chrome.exe doesn't work, uninstalling Chrome doesn't work either. Nothing happens, at all.

The internet doesn't make me any wiser. Perhaps some of you have any ideas?

http://portableapps.com/apps/internet/google_chrome_portable

Just download this for now if you require Chrome.

Don't know about your problem. Was there something you installed recently? Do you use any security software?

Run a scan of malwarebytes and see what turns up.

---------------

Add the tag "-incognito" to the end to boot Chrome in safe mode.

Make a Chrome shortcut: PATHNAME\chrome.exe -incognito

I've encountered a problem over the past week or so, wondered if anyone else was too:

I use a bunch of 1-letter search-prompts in the address bar to search for stuff (ie: typing "i fluffy kittens" send me to Google Image Search's first page of fluffy kitten pictures).

For whatever reason, in the last week typing "i fluffy kittens" now sends me to google for exactly that.

It only seems to be Google Image Search that does this- I have search letters set up for other sites and they all work right away, but not GIS. Any idea why that might be?

claviertekky said:
http://portableapps.com/apps/internet/google_chrome_portable

Just download this for now if you require Chrome.

Don't know about your problem. Was there something you installed recently? Do you use any security software?

Run a scan of malwarebytes and see what turns up.

---------------

Add the tag "-incognito" to the end to boot Chrome in safe mode.

Make a Chrome shortcut: PATHNAME\chrome.exe -incognito
Thanks for the suggestion.

However, I'm more annoyed that a piece of software on my laptop can't work or be deleted, than I am annoyed that I can't use Chrome. So before I would consider using Chrome portable, I just want to get rid of the not-working one.

Also, Chrome hasn't worked on my laptop since day 1. Literally: the day that I got my laptop I've downloaded Chrome. And it has never worked. Now that deleting it also doesn't work, I'm getting annoyed.

Because of it not working since day 1, I doubt it has anything to do with malware. My best guess is that some other process is blocking Chrome. A google search shows that some MSoffice and Citibank processes cause similar problems, but none of those processes run on my pc. So I'm left in the dark on this.

Edit: instead of trying to uninstall Chrome, I've decided to just reinstall the program over the already existing one, and it seems to have done the trick. :)

buhdeh

Mike Works said:
I've encountered a problem over the past week or so, wondered if anyone else was too:

I use a bunch of 1-letter search-prompts in the address bar to search for stuff (ie: typing "i fluffy kittens" send me to Google Image Search's first page of fluffy kitten pictures).

For whatever reason, in the last week typing "i fluffy kittens" now sends me to google for exactly that.

It only seems to be Google Image Search that does this- I have search letters set up for other sites and they all work right away, but not GIS. Any idea why that might be?

Try clearing your browsing history

GUys, I normally use this on Mac, but 2 things that annoyed me were:

Favicon/large icons for the menu bar favourites
Download bar that you have to manually close.

Is it still the same? Or are there any extensions that can change them?

Thanks

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Pulling up PDFs doesn't work for me. I mean, they pull up, but if you scroll, it doesn't work right. Ends up choppy. As if it's scrolling within the first page of the PDF.

OSX Beta 14.0.835.163. Anyone else?

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
GhostRidah said:
This happening with text on some sites for anyone else?

ibTlCrwzZmTCQ.jpg

i had something similar and I had to turn off this

GPU Accelerated Canvas 2D
Enables higher performance of canvas tags with a 2D context by rendering using Graphics Processor Unit (GPU) hardware.
Enable

in the about:flags

I think it was that one, it was something about enhanced graphics using GPU anyway. restart browser after switching.

cory.

Banned
quadriplegicjon said:
I honestly don't understand why there are so many version. lol

I just have the plain ol' Chrome installed.
So people can try out new features (Canary, Dev), or get them faster (Beta).

Top Bottom