• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Google Chrome |OT|

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
cory. said:
So people can try out new features (Canary, Dev), or get them faster (Beta).

Yeah, that still doesn't explain things. Why not put in the new features into the alpha.

Then just have alpha -> beta -> stable

whats the difference between canary and dev?

cory.

Banned
quadriplegicjon said:
Yeah, that still doesn't explain things. Why not put in the new features into the alpha.

Then just have alpha -> beta -> stable

whats the difference between canary and dev?
Canary is pre-alpha, Dev is alpha. Something like that.

Utako

Banned
quadriplegicjon said:
I honestly don't understand why there are so many version. lol

I just have the plain ol' Chrome installed.
When your software releases are mere weeks apart, testing becomes even more important. In exchange for getting new features early, users and web authors help Google make future versions of Chrome production-ready.

Jasoco

Banned
Canary is nightly. An update comes out every day. Dev only updates when Canary is ready to graduate. And Beta updates when Dev is ready. And when Beta is good enough it becomes Stable. And when a mommy and a daddy love each other very much...

The NEW new tab page on Chrome (MacOS if that makes a difference) is amazing except when I click into a sub-folder of my bookmarks I can't find away to click back?

Anyone know?

survivor

Banned
travisbickle said:
The NEW new tab page on Chrome (MacOS if that makes a difference) is amazing except when I click into a sub-folder of my bookmarks I can't find away to click back?

Anyone know?
Put your mouse a bit under the Bookmark text and you should see the option.

I'm guessing it's a bug since it doesn't make sense for the mouse not to be able to click the tab when it's over the text.

Shurs

Is there a way to turn off two-finger swiping on Mac?

I ask because I also use two fingers to scroll, so when I'm on a page that has a large picture, I often end up accidentally going back a page when trying to move around the screen.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
travisbickle said:

Anyone know?

I don't see anything different, what is the version number?

Narolf

Banned
I don't get why I still can't have an empty, about:blank page as a new tab in Chrome. It's one of those very obvious features they are yet to implement, along with the possibility to disable the use of the cache for example.

By the by, does anybody else have trouble reaching the "unread posts" under Chrome? I mean, whenever I click on the Gaf's icon next to a thread title, it always brings me to the post I read when I opened the browser, even if they've been new posts since. I don't have this issue with Firefox 7. In fact, I've seen a lot of people complaining about browsing this forum under FF as of late, yet I didn't have a single one, unlike with Chrome.

Narolf said:
\

By the by, does anybody else have trouble reaching the "unread posts" under Chrome? I mean, whenever I click on the Gaf's icon next to a thread title, it always brings me to the post I read when I opened the browser, even if they've been new posts since. I don't have this issue with Firefox 7. In fact, I've seen a lot of people complaining about browsing this forum under FF as of late, yet I didn't have a single one, unlike with Chrome.
Yeah, that always happens in Chrome since I first downloaded it, really annoying.

hEist

seriously... this looks so ugly. i'm the only one?
Bildschirmfoto%202011-09-23%20um%2019.55.49.png

they changed the "new tab"-button?

and not to forget, they made the "fixed tabs" bigger
Bildschirmfoto%202011-09-23%20um%2019.57.36.png

dont want...

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
upJTboogie said:
Yeah, that always happens in Chrome since I first downloaded it, really annoying.
It only happens on GAF too. Somebody really needs to look into it, because clearing the cache to make just this site work is a pain in the ass.

SpeedingUptoStop said:
It only happens on GAF too. Somebody really needs to look into it, because clearing the cache to make just this site work is a pain in the ass.

I agree 100%. I have this issue with Gaf in Chrome too. It's goddamn annoying.

Kunohara

Narolf said:
I don't get why I still can't have an empty, about:blank page as a new tab in Chrome. It's one of those very obvious features they are yet to implement, along with the possibility to disable the use of the cache for example.

YES. I would love a blank page as well. That's one thing I miss from FF.

Same with new posts. It rarely goes to the next new one.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
The new post thing is probably a GAF issue, trying to defer some kind of traffic by having that update at a slower interval. It does update itself over time, I find it rarely gets more than a page out of sync.

As for a blank new tab page, have any of you tried searching the Chrome Web Store? Pretty sure such an extension exists.

Andrex said:
The new post thing is probably a GAF issue, trying to defer some kind of traffic by having that update at a slower interval. It does update itself over time, I find it rarely gets more than a page out of sync.

I never, EVER have the problem in Firefox. Even in fast moving threads like the E3 ones.

kehs

Banned
Kunohara said:
YES. I would love a blank page as well. That's one thing I miss from FF.

Same with new posts. It rarely goes to the next new one.

Set up the browser to use home page instead of new tab.

Then in the home page section type about:blank as the default page.

easy peasy

edit, wait, why do you guys want to open an empty tab? wtf?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
AnEternalEnigma said:
I never, EVER have the problem in Firefox. Even in fast moving threads like the E3 ones.

Oh then I don't know. Seemed like it would be a GAF static cache thing or something.

Copernicus said:
Set up the browser to use home page instead of new tab.

Then in the home page section type about:blank as the default page.

easy peasy

edit, wait, why do you want to open an empty tab? wtf?

Or that.

And yeah. With a blank tab page you can't get to your bookmarks or apps either. People be crazy.

Narolf

Banned
Copernicus said:
edit, wait, why do you guys want to open an empty tab? wtf?
My laptop is extremely old and slow: 796MHz for 192Mo of RAM. I'd rather keep the browser as light as possible.

I'd use Andrex's method for the new blank tab, as it allows to keep a home page at startup.

kehs

Banned
Narolf said:
My laptop is extremely old and slow: 796MHz for 192Mo of RAM. I'd rather keep the browser as light as possible.

I'd use Andrex's method for the new blank tab, as it allows to keep a home page at startup.

You can have chrome boot up to a blank page, like i described, but why would anyone want to have new tabs open as blank tabs?

Sullichin

hEist said:
seriously... this looks so ugly. i'm the only one?
Bildschirmfoto%202011-09-23%20um%2019.55.49.png

they changed the "new tab"-button?

and not to forget, they made the "fixed tabs" bigger
Bildschirmfoto%202011-09-23%20um%2019.57.36.png

dont want...

I noticed this today too, the new tab button is HIDEOS

kehs

Banned
Sullichin said:
I noticed this today too, the new tab button is HIDEOS

I'm guessing the pinned tabs were made wider because they'll probably be opening up something that allows notifications to show up there (like gmail labs for unread count).

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
AnEternalEnigma said:
Yea, it's definitely not intentional. The only way to reset it is to leave the site for a while until the "You Last Visited" in the upper right corner is reset, or clear my cache.

Sullichin

Copernicus said:
I'm guessing the pinned tabs were made wider because they'll probably be opening up something that allows notifications to show up there (like gmail labs for unread count).

That new width doesn't bother me. But that new New Tab button is just nasty.

Narolf

Banned
Copernicus said:
You can have chrome boot up to a blank page, like i described, but why would anyone want to have new tabs open as blank tabs?
Yup, but your method doesn't allow to have a homepage when Chrome boots up (like google.fr) and a blank page as a new tab at the same time, as the field for the homepage is already used by about:blank in the settings. My concern about having a blank page is that I've noticed Chrome's standard new tab slowdowns my crappy computer if I have heavy tabs running (like Youtube videos) meanwhile, something which doesn't happen with empty tabs.

For these two reasons, I'm going to stick to FF until further updates. Quite a shame since I prefer Chrome's layout.

Sullichin

Narolf said:
Yup, but your method doesn't allow to have a homepage when Chrome boots up (like google.fr) and a blank page as a new tab at the same time, as the field for the homepage is already used by about:blank in the settings. My concern about having a blank page is that I've noticed Chrome's standard new tab slowdowns my crappy computer if I have heavy tabs running (like Youtube videos) meanwhile, something which doesn't happen with empty tabs.

For these two reasons reasons, I'm going to stick to FF until further updates. Quite a shame since I prefer Chrome's layout.

I want a blank page on new tabs instead of the new tab page as well. The new tab pages loads just fine on my computer, it's just useless to me.

Echoplx

Narolf said:

For these two reasons, I'm going to stick to FF until further updates. Quite a shame since I prefer Chrome's layout.

Why not do something like this? Pretty simple.. Unless I'm understanding you wrong?

BGr4f.png

Narolf

Banned
Nope, that opens Google and another tab on startup.

The aim was to have a homepage (such as Google) while keeping the possibility to get a blank page when a new tab is open, a B.A-BA function Chrome doesn't handle without the extension referred above. In fact, Chrome doesn't support most basic features without the need of a plugin. Another example would be that you can't partially delete your session's data (cache, cookies, history...) when closing the browser if you don't use Click&Clean, as the inbuilt tool doesn't let you choose what to delete.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Going to test-drive this again...

Does anyone have a list of recommended add-ons to try and the like from the marketplace? Because I'm totally clueless to Chrome but want to see the recommended stuff.

Jasoco

Banned
Why don't pinned tabs work how they should yet? They should be "locked to a website" and closable, but not go away. So when you click it, it will always load the original URL. And if you close it, the tab persists, but no page is loaded. APP TABS DAMMIT! Otherwise what's the fucking point of them if they don't revert back to their original URL? I want to be able to have persistent FaceBook and Twitter tabs. And maybe a NeoGAF Subscriptions tab if I can lock it so all clicked threads in that page will open in new tabs.

Also, the current Dev and Canary builds have trouble dealing with Twitter. Anyone else with Dev or Canary have the same problem with Twitter? The site is unusable because I can't scroll because it has a delay as if it had a super low framerate like something is happening in the background sucking up all the process cycles. But it's only Twitter, and ONLY in Dev and Canary. Beta and Stable do not have this problem.

Shurs

Shurs said:
Is there a way to turn off two-finger swiping on Mac?

I ask because I also use two fingers to scroll, so when I'm on a page that has a large picture, I often end up accidentally going back a page when trying to move around the screen.

Anyone?

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
Andrex said:
Yeah, me too. Hope it gets fixed. I have a feeling it has something to do with hardware acceleration.

oh thank god.

I was sure I was making it up. I noticed it a few days ago and didn't want to post.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I noticed it a lot on YouTube in particular. I mean, I hate anti-aliased text, but this is taking it too far in the other direction.

Jasoco

Banned
Andrex said:
Yeah, me too. Hope it gets fixed. I have a feeling it has something to do with hardware acceleration.
Me too on OS X. I noticed FaceBook's font renders terribly now. And with the Twitter problem, the current Dev and Canary need to be fixed fast. Glad it wasn't just me.

That text problem is a big problem for me, I use a different type of text render for windows and chrome dev is unreadable because they are changing how the render engine is for some odd reason.

Cyrillus

Is there a way to get the list of recently closed tabs to show up under the most visited icons like it used to? Not really digging the drop-down menu in the bottom right corner. Not really digging the style of the new tab layout in general for that matter. The "tabs inside a tab" feels a little too Yo Dawg! for me.

I didn't see anything in the OP. What are people's must have extensions? Especially for GAF browsing? I have the tineye menu extension and I have the NeoGAF user highlight one as well.

survivor said:
These are the GAF extensions if you want to use any of them
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/search?q=neogaf

I believe some of them were made by Andrex. Can't tell which members made the other extensions

Thanks!

I'm surprised there is no multi-quote app or a youtube app for videos embedded.

Testing the imgur app. That's fucking awesome.

Also, now that I'm installing extensions on my laptop, will they sync to my desktop once I go back to it?

Jasoco

Banned
DoctorWho said:
Thanks!

I'm surprised there is no multi-quote app or a youtube app for videos embedded.

Testing the imgur app. That's fucking awesome.

Also, now that I'm installing extensions on my laptop, will they sync to my desktop once I go back to it?
Only if you set up Chrome Sync.

fse

I am having some problems with Google Chrome lately. I am using the dev and beta builds on mac and windows. When I sometimes have many tabs (8 or so) open and try clicking on another on to bring it to focus all I get is a blank page for like 20 seconds or so. Happens even if I am not viewing flash.

Both machines have 2GB ram.

Medalion

Banned
I am on Chrome now and dunno why I have resisted it for so long, everything is so fast

Fuck Firefox

ok not quite but nice to have an alternative

Top Bottom