• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Google Chrome |OT|

DoctorWho said:
Is that done with separate Google accounts? I guess I'll look into it more when I get home.
Sync requires a Google account, yeah. If you just want a local profile, though, you don't need to connect it with anything. It can just sit on 1 computer.

Superimposer

This is getting weirder all the time
Just me that's been having real Flash lag issues on the latest version? I need to know whether it's a Chrome update, a Flash update or my computer, but Youtube videos are occasionally freezing and the sound is cutting out intermittently...

Edit: Apparently Youtube is html5 now? When did that happen?

survivor said:
For the new tab page thing, did they remove the bookmarks option at the bottom? I only see Most Visited and Apps right now

Yeah, looks like it's gone back to the top... why? Stick to one motif dammit

---

Okay, I googled 'Youtube html5' and apparently I was auto opted in to an html5 trial. So I opted out and everything's great now. Now I have to worry about why my html5 isn't working well. Is it possible that we were all opted in by the Chrome update?

Jasoco

Banned
The latest Canary fixed the Twitter problem. Yay! It might have also fixed the text rendering problem.

icDDB4vPBK54W.png

Bottom is the most recent. Top is yesterday.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Just tried using the new tab page with actual bookmarks, it's garbage (I mean the new-old one not the apparently new-new one that adds the bookmark bar back.) I like it for apps though, but it still has quite a bit to go.

Jasoco

Banned
Sentry said:
Ugh, the smeared text was horrible. Also, the new tab button in canary still sucks. WHY did they change it!?
I just wish they'd make it so double-clicking the empty tab bar area opened a new tab like in Firefox... and Safari... and Opera. And remove that ugly "presentation mode" button from the OS X Lion version. It takes up valuable pixels for something that can be replaced with a simple hotkey and menu option. (Which it has. I don't need that useless button!)

noah111

Still Alive
Speaking of valuable pixels, why don't they push up the bar in fullscreen mode? So that the space between the top edge of the tabs and top edge of the screen is nonexistent..

But yes, that button is not only ugly, but a space waster too.

Jasoco

Banned
Sentry said:
Speaking of valuable pixels, why don't they push up the bar in fullscreen mode? So that the space between the top edge of the tabs and top edge of the screen is nonexistent..

But yes, that button is not only ugly, but a space waster too.
It's because there needs to be "overshoot" room to stop your mouse and turn back to avoid activating the menubar. I do wish it could move them up too and just make it so there's a delay before the menubar appears. Or make it so the menubar shows up when you perform the Lion Fullscreen "Show Dock" move where you place the mouse at the edge, then push more to make it slide out. I mean, if they expect people to find the Dock with that undocumented move, I can't see why they can't make the menubar show up the same way. I'd rather have the pixels back than an instantly appearing menubar.

I don't know if apps have that much control over when and how the menubar appears though. But I'm not a Cocoa programmer so I have no idea. Probably not.

PaulLFC

I don't know what's up with the new version of Chrome, or whether it's just my install, but just lately it's been taking an absolute age to load pages, crashing frequently and there are some other problems too. I've used Chrome for ages without problems, it just seems to be in the last week or so that this is happening. Tried Firefox, and that loads pages almost instantly and doesn't crash, so I don't understand what the problem is - the only extensions I have are Adblock, the GAF extensions and a couple of others like the +1 button.

clav

A heads up that the latest version of Chrome BETA works fine on Windows 8 Dev Preview.

Before moving tabs would cause the selected tab to lose focus in the main window.

That is no longer a problem.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Guess there are no awesome extensions to use. Shame. :/

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I am interested to see if Chrome becomes as integrated on Windows 8 as IE10 is. The Chrome team makes a big deal about being native on the platforms its on. (If it makes sense, I remember they had Aero previews for each tab but so many people reported they hated it that it was changed back to just one per window.)

noah111

Still Alive
Ok the new tab button is fixed in Canary now, and better yet the '+' sign doesn't appear until mouseover. However, pinned tabs are still too wide and that other fs button is still there..

Anyone have a changelog? This autoupdating is fun but hard to keep track of.

thecheese

PaulLFC said:
I don't know what's up with the new version of Chrome, or whether it's just my install, but just lately it's been taking an absolute age to load pages, crashing frequently and there are some other problems too. I've used Chrome for ages without problems, it just seems to be in the last week or so that this is happening. Tried Firefox, and that loads pages almost instantly and doesn't crash, so I don't understand what the problem is - the only extensions I have are Adblock, the GAF extensions and a couple of others like the +1 button.

I've been having similar problems. Thought it was just my internet connection at first.

kehs

Banned
Andrex said:
I am interested to see if Chrome becomes as integrated on Windows 8 as IE10 is. The Chrome team makes a big deal about being native on the platforms its on. (If it makes sense, I remember they had Aero previews for each tab but so many people reported they hated it that it was changed back to just one per window.)

Considering all the touch friendly tweaks they are doing, I'm gonna say yup.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Sentry said:
Ok the new tab button is fixed in Canary now, and better yet the '+' sign doesn't appear until mouseover. However, pinned tabs are still too wide and that other fs button is still there..

Anyone have a changelog? This autoupdating is fun but hard to keep track of.

http://googlechromereleases.blogspot.com/

Obsessed said:
Why is there still no right clicking images and auto saving thme as your desktop background?

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/ddkmiidlgnkhnfhigdpadkaamogngkin

thecheese said:
I've been having similar problems. Thought it was just my internet connection at first.

Is it all pages or just GAF? If just GAF, it might be my +1 extension.

PaulLFC

thecheese said:
Hopefully there's a fix soon, at least this narrows it down to being either a Chrome or extension problem as opposed to something PC related.

Andrex said:
Is it all pages or just GAF? If just GAF, it might be my +1 extension.
For me, it's all sites. It doesn't happen all the time, seems random when it does. Sometimes when I choose a previously loaded background tab, the background will be a blank white page, and moving the mouse will cause certain elements to load individually, as if I'm "drawing" them on the screen with the mouse or something. I have to close and re-open Chrome to fix that, if it hasn't crashed by that point, that is.

Somnid

Andrex said:

Well, IE10 is a foundational component of Windows 8. Metro apps are built to run on the platform. Also considering Metro is a completely different paradigm than a classic Windows Chrome would likely need a completely different UI branch. It'll likely never replace IE10 on Windows 8 (especially in Metro) just because of how integrated IE10 is. I weep for Europe and anti-trust laws though, I can't imagine how stupid it'll be if they try to optionalize IE10.

PaulLFC

thecheese said:
Which version of Chrome are you using? I ask because I was on beta (15) and after getting sick of the problems I uninstalled it and redownloaded the stable version (14). Been using it for about an hour or so now, and so far, the problems seem to be fixed, whereas on the beta version I'd only have to be browsing for about five minutes before the problems would start.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Somnid said:
Well, IE10 is a foundational component of Windows 8. Metro apps are built to run on the platform. Also considering Metro is a completely different paradigm than a classic Windows Chrome would likely need a completely different UI branch. It'll likely never replace IE10 on Windows 8 (especially in Metro) just because of how integrated IE10 is. I weep for Europe and anti-trust laws though, I can't imagine how stupid it'll be if they try to optionalize IE10.

Apps can still use Trident without being tied to Internet Explorer* (and have been for quite some time, that's the way the old Steam client worked for example.) So being forced to make IE10 shouldn't be a problem in itself, but it may make the experience degraded on tablets since that's the big deal for IE10. But if Chrome gets itself in gear before Windows 8 releases then it really shouldn't be a problem.

* I assume this. I can't imagine MS would be so stupid as to actually launch apps within IE10 itself without the chrome.

thecheese

PaulLFC said:
For me, it's all sites. It doesn't happen all the time, seems random when it does. Sometimes when I choose a previously loaded background tab, the background will be a blank white page, and moving the mouse will cause certain elements to load individually, as if I'm "drawing" them on the screen with the mouse or something. I have to close and re-open Chrome to fix that, if it hasn't crashed by that point, that is.

Same.

PaulLFC said:
Which version of Chrome are you using? I ask because I was on beta (15) and after getting sick of the problems I uninstalled it and redownloaded the stable version (14). Been using it for about an hour or so now, and so far, the problems seem to be fixed, whereas on the beta version I'd only have to be browsing for about five minutes before the problems would start.

I'm on 14.

Chris R

Anyone know how to enable middle click scroll in Lion? I use the trackpad sometimes, but when I have a mouse plugged in I'd just like that feature to work... The fact that it doesn't makes me want to download firefox and switch back :(

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
OK, time to commence work on a new Chrome OT. (I won't be making a new thread. Rather I'll just edit the OP.)

Jasoco

Banned
rhfb said:
Anyone know how to enable middle click scroll in Lion? I use the trackpad sometimes, but when I have a mouse plugged in I'd just like that feature to work... The fact that it doesn't makes me want to download firefox and switch back :(
What's "middle click scroll"?

Chris R

Jasoco said:
What's "middle click scroll"?
If you click in the scroll wheel a cursor pops up and you then proceed to drag the mouse to quickly scroll. The further away the cursor is from where you initiated the middle click, the faster you scroll.

Chris R

Andrex said:
You middle click, then move your mouse up and down.
And side to side! Such a great feature! And I love using it in Chrome/Firefox at work (on a PC), just sucks that it only works in Firefox in OSX for some reason.

Jasoco

Banned
Ah yes. Just what I thought. But the only times I ever had that feature were when it was part of the mouse. Does your mouse driver not have that feature built-in? Or is it built-in but for some reason it's not working in Chrome? Because that's weird. What version of Chrome are you on?

Personally, I hate using any mouse ever since I got my MBP with the Magic Trackpad. I can't go back. Even if one day I decided I needed to get a desktop, I would use a standalone Magic Trackpad. Especially in Lion. What with all the gestures Lion takes advantage of.

OatmealMu

For a while now, I've been having trouble with scrollbar freezing when loading pages. For about 5-8 seconds after loading a page, the scrollbar would freeze up. It doesn't sound like a long time, but it sure makes the browser feel sluggish. And don't even get me started when it came to starting up Chrome at the start of the day (I set Chrome to save my open tabs). Yesterday, I finally got around to diagnosing the problem. Not surprisingly, it was an extension -- Adblock Plus in particular. As soon as I disabled it, Chrome felt much snappier.

I've switched over to Adblock, and all's well. That said, are Adblock and Adblock Plus my only two viable options?

kehs

Banned
Alright Andrex, I still can't wrap my head around the use of downloading Google Music from the Chrome Store.

Explain it to me.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Copernicus said:
Alright Andrex, I still can't wrap my head around the use of downloading Google Music from the Chrome Store.

Explain it to me.

It's a web app, so it makes more sense to pin it to the browser's app tray? I have it installed because of that, it fits better there than as a bookmark.

Oh and you're not really downloading it, you're installing it. :p

For stuff like Google Calendar, it's more clear. It plugs into Chrome's HTML5 unlimited storage permission for offline support, and just today it added the ability to register itself for your OS's Webcal links.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
are downloads completely borked for anyone else on the dev channel?

if I'm downloading a file and I start another download it restarts the first one and doesn't start the second.

so now I can't download 2 things at once :|

kehs

Banned
Andrex said:
It's a web app, so it makes more sense to pin it to the browser's app tray? I have it installed because of that, it fits better there than as a bookmark.

Oh and you're not really downloading it, you're installing it. :p

For stuff like Google Calendar, it's more clear. It plugs into Chrome's HTML5 unlimited storage permission for offline support, and just today it added the ability to register itself for your OS's Webcal links.

Yeah, but I have it bookmarked. Why do I need another point to access it?

SolKane

New to Chrome, can anyone recommend an extension to do something about that URL pop-up on hover bar? I understand its use, I just find it very annoying. I don't want it to disappear, I just don't want it to interfere with the bottom of the web page.

kehs

Banned
Andrex said:
You don't need it, but it's philosophically cleaner.

I guess I'm trying to clarify, as it stands some of these webapps that Google has in the chrome, are just links then?

Just curious.

Jasoco

Banned
rhfb said:
No driver, just plugging my logitech mouse in on Lion. Chrome is version 14.0.835.202
Well there's your problem. Install either the shitty Logitech driver or download either USB Overdrive or Steermouse and give them a try. You're complaining about a mouse feature that isn't standard but Firefox happens to offer that can be easily implemented by using a driver.

How many buttons do you have? Is it just a two button one wheel mouse?

Madtown_

Just a question. I see above that the blue bookmarks bar in the new tab is coming back. When is that coming?

Is there something I can do to get it back besides Cmd/Ctl-Shift-B toggling?

Madtown_

Full Metal Jacket said:
Someone give me one good reason why I should use Chrome over Firefox. I'm on Windows XP by the way.
Do you have a lot of RAM?

If you don't have much, but you like to use plenty of extensions and like to use a lot (A LOT) of tabs, I'd stick with Firefox. Chrome uses a lot of memory in that case.

But otherwise on my XP machine Chrome might be a little faster starting up (I have 2GB RAM). It's pretty much personal preference though.

So I guess I fail to give you a good reason, maybe someone else will have one.

Top Bottom