• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Google Chrome |OT|

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
Andrex said:
New Chrome Web Store is live!

Looks sooooooooooo different, but amazing nonetheless!
okay, this is a lot better. really love where they're going with their new focus on clean, minimalist design.

although that breadcrumb navigation looks a bit too similar to Apple.com's implementation.

also, this screams like a design with tablets in mind. when is Google finally going to bring Chrome to Android instead of simply webkit?

Timan

Developer
On the mac version, is there a way to disable bookmarks from flashing 3 times before they actually load? Theres like a 1-2 second delay for its animation and its annoying.

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
oh, for anyone on Chrome (or Firefox, for that matter), go to Google Maps and enable MapsGL

it's basically the vector-based Google Maps on Android now for the browser. you can't tilt the map, but for dense metropolitan areas like NYC it'll show see-through 3D models of buildings that'll pan perspective with the terrain. it'll also shade the buildings depending on the time of day and the location of the sun. the maps also load a lot quicker. very impressive.

maps.png

Jzero

scorcho said:
okay, this is a lot better. really love where they're going with their new focus on clean, minimalist design.

although that breadcrumb navigation looks a bit too similar to Apple.com's implementation.

also, this screams like a design with tablets in mind. when is Google finally going to bring Chrome to Android instead of simply webkit?
Didn't they say Chrome was coming to android?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
scorcho said:

Eventually. People are working on it but there's no timeframe, unfortunately.

On the flip side, Chrome has been on Android for about a year now, through Google TV, technically.

kehs

Banned
Jasoco said:
Does anyone know what exactly this does? Does it enable or disable WebGL? It's worded really terribly and confusingly.

I'm guessing it's a toggle to turn off webgl, which is on by default.

Jasoco

Banned
"You have selected 'You', referring to 'Me'. The correct answer is 'You'."

Fuck. Name your options logically, designers! I guess I just leave that option.. uh.. disabled so WebGL is on... shit man.

Also, I wish they'd roll out the new Downloads UI already. Right now there's an option in about:flags that turns it on, but it's labeled that it will A) turn off the downloads bar and B) enable the new UI when it's implemented. Why not just let me turn the option on now, keep the downloads bar and when the new UI comes out, replace the bar with the new UI, whatever it is? I'd love to see what this new "UI" looks like. I kinda hope it's a Safari style pop-down menu button in the toolbar. I'd prefer that over the bar that never goes away automatically.

RoadHazard said:
There are many great ones, but I'd have to say that the most essential one is the Image Properties Context Menu extension, since the Chrome devs have amazingly left this extremely basic functionality (viewing the properties of an image) out of the browser. Blows my mind every time I think about it.

Other ones I use and wouldn't want to be without:

AdBlock Plus
imgur (lets you instantly rehost images and other nice stuff)
LastPass (this is also absolutely essential for me - couldn't live without a password manager, and LastPass is by far the most convenient one I've ever used)
Mail Checker Plus for Google Mail
Notifier for Google Reader
Smooth Gestures (the best extension for mouse gestures I've found, but it sadly pales in comparison with the amazing native implementation of mouse gestures in Opera)
SmoothScroll (makes pages scroll smoothly, as opposed to the default instant jumps)

What are some of the great ones? It seems like there are so many. Do you suggest greasemonkey so that I can use the neogaf user scripts?

Jasoco

Banned
Fuck. The newest Canary is so crashy. It actually crashes. I never had Chrome, the whole app, crash more than 3 times before today. Now it crashes every 5 minutes. I don't know if it's an extension or something either.

Maybe I need to switch to a stable build again temporarily...

Shepard

Jasoco said:
Fuck. The newest Canary is so crashy. It actually crashes. I never had Chrome, the whole app, crash more than 3 times before today. Now it crashes every 5 minutes. I don't know if it's an extension or something either.

Why don't you switch at least to the dev version? Canary builds aren't meant for daily use.

FLEABttn

Banned
Chrome 15 shows most visited pages and Apps in the new tab window. How do I get rid of that? Make it like how it was 5 minutes ago, where that was all hidden.

Jasoco said:

Same here. Crashes after every two-three minutes of usage. First time I've had this issue with the Canary build.

Edit: Crashed while I was typing this post.

Jasoco

Banned
I switched back to Dev (After a bit of fucking around to get the stuff that doesn't sync into my Dev profile) temporarily. I had to update all three of my Chrome versions by redownloading because the ones I had were months old and at most 3 versions behind each.

I'll jump back into Canary in a few days to see if it was fixed. Canary for the most part is great, but once in a while there's a day or two where it has a really shitty update that breaks so badly you can only wait until it's fixed. Then it's back to normal for a while until something else is broken.

Sagitario

Somehow the NeoGAF Enhancements extension got uninstalled.
Well, I installed it again and even with the "Show spoilers when hovering over them" option unchecked, it still shows them when hovering over them.

Anyone having this problem?

Kunohara

Infernodash said:
What are some of the great ones? It seems like there are so many. Do you suggest greasemonkey so that I can use the neogaf user scripts?

Chrome runs scripts without the use of greasemonkey. You can use any of the scripts that are meant for it out of the box.

Fatalah said:
I just updated to the latest stable version, 15.0.8-something.

It's WAY FAST! Anyone else notice a speed bum?!

I thought I was imagining it but it seems way faster to me. I'm not sure why that would be though.

I haven't noticed any speedy bums though...

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
The new tab page really compliments the new Chrome Web Store. Chrome is about where Android 1.0 or 1.5 was. (That's actually a compliment, the other browsers don't even compare in terms of making the web a true platform.)

Brettison said:
Did Google turn the native client on with Chrome 15 stable? If so that's a big WIN!!!

Seems like it!

Futureman

Jzero15 said:
Didn't they say Chrome was coming to android?

Chrome bookmark syncing is coming to Ice Cream Sandwich (the latest version of Android).

I don't believe they've said anything about actually bringing all Chrome functionality to Android. May be wrong though, I follow Android pretty close, but not Chrome.

New tab page sucks. I don't want to get in trouble at work for having either cartoony Angry Birds bullshit or my most visited sites which are not work related. How do I go back to just a blank page? And how can I tell Chrome to not remember my history? The settings page is like shitty Apple, simplified and giving the user hardly any options...

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
The Lamonster said:
New tab page sucks. I don't want to get in trouble at work for having either cartoony Angry Birds bullshit or my most visited sites which are not work related. How do I go back to just a blank page? And how can I tell Chrome to not remember my history? The settings page is like shitty Apple, simplified and giving the user hardly any options...

Answer to both at the same time: use Incognito Mode.

Futureman said:
Chrome bookmark syncing is coming to Ice Cream Sandwich (the latest version of Android).

I don't believe they've said anything about actually bringing all Chrome functionality to Android. May be wrong though, I follow Android pretty close, but not Chrome.

It was announced about two months ago that work has begun on porting Chrome to Android proper. But I wouldn't expect anything before Google I/O next May.

kehs

Banned
Andrex said:
Answer to both at the same time: use Incognito Mode.

It was announced about two months ago that work has begun on porting Chrome to Android proper. But I wouldn't expect anything before Google I/O next May.

Default browser in 4.0 syncs your chrome bookmarks from your google account instead of your account bookmarks.

(hey look google is consolidating, yay)

p.s. bring me back my god damn speed dial-esque bookmark page dillholes.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I don't like that the web app icons on the new new tab page don't give any visual feedback when hovered, and I also don't like that they "pop out" when you click them. Just doesn't look good to me.

Also, I'd like some sort of shortcut for quickly switching between the two tabs/sections (web apps and most visited) of the page. Sure, the hit areas to switch are large, but it's still quite annoying to me that I have to click in a specific area to that.

Rur0ni said:
Ooo. Smooth scrolling lab.

I activated it, it does nothing.

Is syncing of open tabs new? Could be pretty nifty, I guess.

Copernicus said:
I'm a creature of habit, I need a speed dial that stays put.

Actually, you can kind of create one now. You can make any bookmark a "web app" by dragging it down there. Needs more customizability though (you can't give them custom images, or even custom names - they'll just show the bookmarks' URLs as their titles, not even the bookmarks' titles which would make much more sense) to become really useful.

Rur0ni

RoadHazard said:
I activated it, it does nothing.
At first it didn't do anything, then I restarted the browser again I think and just scrolled through a GAF thread, pressing Home and End on a long page it's very evident.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Rur0ni said:
At first it didn't do anything, then I restarted the browser again I think and just scrolled through a GAF thread, pressing Home and End on a long page it's very evident.

I didn't try that exactly, but scrolling using the scroll wheel on my mouse was as choppy as ever (even after restarting the browser). So, back to SmoothScroll it is.

On the new tab page, the font underneath the website photos looks kinda bad and jagged for me but it looks fine everywhere else on the browser/computer... Anyone else think it looks bad?

Kunohara said:
Chrome runs scripts without the use of greasemonkey. You can use any of the scripts that are meant for it out of the box.

Thanks for the heads up. I didn't know that. I think I'll start using chrome to try it out against firefox now that I know how to add the user scripts.

Firehead

Anyone know of any good bookmark button (like with Firefox and the bookmark icon that'll bring up the sidebar) and history viewer? Been trying atomic bookmarks and history 2; but there has got to be a better alternative.

Oh, and are there any themes that don't remove the transparency? :/

Edit:
And is there a 64bit version of Chrome or something?

Jasoco

Banned
Okay, I give. I'm trying out Speed Dial 2 to replace the LaunchPad extension I created to replace the mediocre Speed Dial 1. So far it's great, but it lacks a couple things...

1) Navigation between groups with hotkeys or..

2) Option to display all groups on one page with a separator.

I hate having many icons scattered across multiple screens. So much that I have my iPad categorized into two pages with apps and games. And if I could, I'd cram them all on one page. And on my Android, I have everything on one page. I can't stand scrolling between pages. So having them all on one page would be better if I could still have them grouped. Alternatively I'd settle for assigning a hot key for each group or something.

Jasoco

Banned
I don't like the delay when opening the Speed Dial 2 page. I might have to go back to my own extension. It opens instantly.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Apparently the new new tab page is more awesome than we thought and does include speed dial functionality:

Google Operating System said:
1. A redesigned new tab page inspired by mobile interfaces. There are two "homescreens" for apps and most visited pages, but you can create a new "homescreen" by dragging apps and pages to the bottom bar and selecting the new "homescreen". You can also remove pages and apps by dragging them to the bottom bar and then to trash area ("remove from Chrome"). Any bookmark can now become app: just drag it to the new tab page. This also works for the most visited pages.

Top Bottom