• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Google Chrome |OT|

Jasoco

Banned
I fucking hate "apps". They're just links to websites I don't even want to use or can just put in my bookmarks. WebApp concept = fail. All "webapps" are just websites. That's all they are. That's ALL they are. They're links with big special icons.

Anyway, I know you're just saying that because you too wish you could have it. ;)

Seriously though, I had a feeling there'd be some people wanting it. I would love to make it a full extension, but it's hard to write the "bookmark storage system" part. Right now it's a JavaScript JSON tree that gets parsed and displayed as lists of links. And since it's a local JS file, it loads instantly. If I switched to a HTML5 Storage Database method like Speed Dial uses, it would end up delaying the loading of the links and I hate that. I used Speed Dial 2 for a day before realizing what I had before was much better for me.

Everything else would be easy. I'd just have to create a page to enter your Time Zone, Zip Code, preferences for display, image URL to use, font maybe. But the more non-hard-coded stuff I put in, the slower the load time is due to lag caused by loading from the database.

I will probably upload what I have so far for people who want it and maybe one day make it into an official extension. I just don't know if Google would disallow it because of my usage of the Weather XML link that's supposed to be used for Gadgets (And iGoogle) only.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I fucking hate "apps". They're just links to websites I don't even want to use or can just put in my bookmarks. WebApp concept = fail. All "webapps" are just websites. That's all they are. That's ALL they are. They're links with big special icons.

Way to miss the point.

Oh and do try to go to the Chrome version of TweetDeck. Oh that's right, it's not a site you can go to. ;)

Jasoco

Banned
I can go to Twitter.com and that's all I need. Or I can download one of the thousand Twitter apps for my computer. But I prefer the site. And TweetDeck is just an extension disguised as an app.

If I really wanted to be able to access my "apps", I can download an extension to put a button in my toolbar with a list of them. But it wouldn't matter because I uninstalled all of them due to them being useless.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
And TweetDeck is just an extension disguised as an app.

I don't get the point you're making here. You're trying to say, that that's a bad thing?

Chrome's packaged app model (that TweetDeck uses) is a 1:1 replica of the app models on Android and iOS.

Side note, I don't know how anyone can prefer the actual Twitter site. It's horrible.

If I really wanted to be able to access my "apps", I can download an extension to put a button in my toolbar with a list of them.

That seems like quite a workaround for something Chrome does for you natively. And it sounds like a worse solution all around. Non-apps/extensions can't request unlimited storage for localStorage, App Cache, etc., and they'll have to bug you incessantly for Geolocation or Notification privelages.

But it wouldn't matter because I uninstalled all of them due to them being useless.

Now you're just being intellectually disingenuous.

Totally, 100% agree. So dumb to label them "apps."

fuck chrome. seriously. I try to install it on my PC and the installer keeps insisting its already installed, I have picked my PC apart with a fine toothed comb looking for the offending file that is screwing me over and I find nothing.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Ok these are very well done.

Did the whole Chromebook thing catch on? I don't see any buzz for it online anymore.

Probably not yet. Someone needs to make some new models, or Samsung needs to drop the prices on theirs.

Chromebooks at $300 could kill. $500? Not so much.

Jasoco

Banned
The last time I launched any of the apps I had installed it was to give them one last try before uninstalling them because they were worthless or redundant. I really don't feel like arguing about apps. I could probably EASILY integrate an App list into my Launch Pad NTP for the people who want it because obviously people do use Apps. I personally do not. It is my preference. I shrug my shoulders in your general direction.

Sean

Banned
Did the whole Chromebook thing catch on? I don't see any buzz for it online anymore.

The netbook craze in general seems to have died down completely, it's all about tablets now. Better performance and battery life at the same price point (or in the case of Kindle Fire, much cheaper).

I don't see much of a market for Chromebooks.

Jasoco

Banned
ChromeBooks would make more sense as Tablets than as Books. I mean ChromeOS is pretty much built for touch. It's not that complicated of an interface and the targets are plenty big enough, or can be made bigger if needed to be. It would work perfectly on a touch screen. I'm surprised they even pushed for the laptop route knowing tablets were the next big thing.

I mean, when you see a laptop you usually want a full computer. But a tablet can be anything from a simple browser to a full iOS/Android do-everything device. Google should have gone the tablet route.

Especially if they implemented a JavaScript Touch API like iOS has. (Bonus points if it's backwards compatible to require less cross platform checking)

Missed opportunity. It would be so much better than a laptop. It's sad thinking what they could have done. And what the did instead. Hopefully they'll think of this at some point and move over to it.

They probably don't want to cannibalize the Android market though. But fuck that.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
There actually has been quite a lot of working done getting Chrome OS suitable for tablets:

http://dev.chromium.org/chromium-os/user-experience/window-ui
http://dev.chromium.org/chromium-os/user-experience/form-factors

TouchUI.png

VMm10.png

12vPk.png

But's it's obviously only alpha-quality at this point as far as implementation goes.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
What do you mean?

I wish Android was like ChromeOS (auto-updates, based on web tech etc)

The ChromeOS project has some really good ideas and I just feel like it's going to be forgotten in favour of the laggy, java dependent crap they call Android.

It's a shame really.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Trying to put Chrome OS in tablets when you already have your well-established tablet OS in kinda dumb.

Choice is dumb, OK.

I wish Android was like ChromeOS (auto-updates, based on web tech etc)

The ChromeOS project has some really good ideas and I just feel like it's going to be forgotten in favour of the laggy, java dependent crap they call Android.

It's a shame really.

Yeah, I sort of agree.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I don't see the big deal. Diversity and experimentation can be just as useful as laser-like focus. Besides that, there aren't any Chrome OS tablets, and there likely won't be for a long time, if ever.

Anyways, I said like 10 posts ago Chromebooks could take off at $300. Well guess what?

http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2011/11/tis-season-for-chromebooks.html

http://techcrunch.com/2011/11/21/go...hromebooks-to-299-and-polishes-the-interface/

All these need is a medium-sized TV push and they could fly off the shelves.

Jasoco

Banned
My CR-48 still works like the free to my door champ it is. And is currently updating to the current OS version.

Though it feels a bit slower than it used to be. Especially since it's much less advanced hardware than the newer retail versions.

At $100 I'd get one to have. But at $300, this one is good enough as a conversation piece.

Still would prefer a tablet. But hey, I have an iPad with a much cooler JavaScript Touch API if I really wanted to get into webapp programming. (Namely games since I don't know anything about Cocoa, but am pretty good at JavaScript.)

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
My CR-48 still works like the free to my door champ it is. And is currently updating to the current OS version.

Though it feels a bit slower than it used to be. Especially since it's much less advanced hardware than the newer retail versions.

At $100 I'd get one to have. But at $300, this one is good enough as a conversation piece.

Still would prefer a tablet. But hey, I have an iPad with a much cooler JavaScript Touch API if I really wanted to get into webapp programming. (Namely games since I don't know anything about Cocoa, but am pretty good at JavaScript.)

I'm running the beta channel, and I've noticed my CR-48 seems slower than it initially did as well. Only started in the last couple of months too.

I kind of want to sell mine though, but I won't get any decent money for it. I'd rather have a tablet, and I currently don't own one. I don't really want to spend $500 on a tablet though either.

Gui_PT

Nope, only when editing one of my posts with the spiffy new editor.

That's weird. It stopped working for me all of a sudden. Thanks, I'll uninstall it and give it another go.

Edit: No deal. I did install the Dark Skin, but the extension still worked a couple of days after that =\

Jasoco

Banned
That is awesome, thank you.

Highlighter still doesn't work though. I'll assume it's because of the dark skin

It shouldn't matter because the script detects the tag elements. But it might be the theme having priority higher than the script.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
NeoGaf Live Thread not working for anyone else? :(

it's still working for me but there's a good chance something broke in the last gaf update. (the script is held together with cellotape and gum as it is)

what doesn't work? is it a particular thread or everything?

I keep meaning to make a new version. Maybe I'll start that now gaf has been updated.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I don't see the big deal. Diversity and experimentation can be just as useful as laser-like focus. Besides that, there aren't any Chrome OS tablets, and there likely won't be for a long time, if ever.

Anyways, I said like 10 posts ago Chromebooks could take off at $300. Well guess what?

http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2011/11/tis-season-for-chromebooks.html

http://techcrunch.com/2011/11/21/go...hromebooks-to-299-and-polishes-the-interface/

All these need is a medium-sized TV push and they could fly off the shelves.

I just wish they had released the CR-48. I thought it had the best industrial design of any of the Chromebooks so far. That Samsung one in the blog post you just linked is pretty close. I don't really have a need for a Chromebook (I own a netbook, I own an ultra-light laptop, I own a tablet, I own a smartphone, do I need a second netbook? Well, no.) but if I was going to get one, I'd like the CR-48.

Mairu

it's still working for me but there's a good chance something broke in the last gaf update. (the script is held together with cellotape and gum as it is)

what doesn't work? is it a particular thread or everything?

I keep meaning to make a new version. Maybe I'll start that now gaf has been updated.

I don't have either button in any thread - nothing at the top of the thread and nothing at the bottom :/

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I just wish they had released the CR-48. I thought it had the best industrial design of any of the Chromebooks so far. That Samsung one in the blog post you just linked is pretty close. I don't really have a need for a Chromebook (I own a netbook, I own an ultra-light laptop, I own a tablet, I own a smartphone, do I need a second netbook? Well, no.) but if I was going to get one, I'd like the CR-48.

Agreed. The rubberized black was pretty cool. But I like the rounded corners of the Samsung ones.

Posted this on G+, but I hope the next round of Chromebooks have the Chrome orb adorned Macbook-style on the front lid. That'd be awesome.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
ChromeOS is better than Android in many ways. It's too bad they won't be merged.

They can't be merged though, that's the whole point of Chrome OS. It wouldn't work as a traditional OS at all. (Sorry but when people say they hope Google will "merge" them, it's a peeve of mine since they generally don't know what they're talking about.)

One aspect Chrome OS does have over Android is updates. They're always from Google and you're always using the latest (or even future) software. A very stark contrast from Android. The Cr-48 will probably keep receiving updates for the next 10 years, maybe more. Compared to the G1... yeah.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
I don't have either button in any thread - nothing at the top of the thread and nothing at the bottom :/

oh. Do you have anything else installed that could be clashing with it like a theme or another extension?

(i'm not saying it's your fault btw. As I said there's a good chance it is broken, I'm just trying to narrow it down)

I guess the Chromebooks are kind of cool but I'd rather have either a tablet or an ultrabook/macbook air. I don't see them ever taking off and the netbook category will probably die within the near future.

Mairu

oh. Do you have anything else installed that could be clashing with it like a theme or another extension?

(i'm not saying it's your fault btw. As I said there's a good chance it is broken, I'm just trying to narrow it down)

I thought maybe it was the NeoGAF User Highlighter, since I just recently installed that -- but I tried uninstalling both and then reinstalling the Live Thread extension and the update button still wouldn't show up. The only other GAF-modifying extension I have installed is YouTubeMe Again, but I hadn't had issues with having both that & the live thread before the neogaf update

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
I thought maybe it was the NeoGAF User Highlighter, since I just recently installed that -- but I tried uninstalling both and then reinstalling the Live Thread extension and the update button still wouldn't show up. The only other GAF-modifying extension I have installed is YouTubeMe Again, but I hadn't had issues with having both that & the live thread before the neogaf update

hmm, I'm really not sure then. I have both of those extensions installed as well and it's working ok here.

I'm going to start work on a new version probably this weekend now anyway. I know that's not really an answer but don't know what else to suggest :(

edit: sorry for going off-topic.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I guess the Chromebooks are kind of cool but I'd rather have either a tablet or an ultrabook/macbook air. I don't see them ever taking off and the netbook category will probably die within the near future.

The thing is the current Chromebooks are more like regular notebooks than netbooks.

I wish I could say Chromebooks will be the next big things, but who knows. I only hope Google keeps investing in them, though, and doesn't axe them for some more "spring cleaning." I think Chromebooks will eventually catch on if Google keeps at it, but it might be a couple years off at least.

Top Bottom