• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Google Chrome |OT|

I had really high hopes for this, but nothing changed :( I also discovered that it also happens if I open a new non incognito window, so I opened one, maximized it, closed my main window, closed the other, relaunched chrome, new window, still the same :/

Try doing what josephdebono suggested but resize the last open incognito window manually and then close it. See if that helps.

Bollocks

That did the trick, it's still not fullscreen but tbh I don't even recall if new windows launched fullscreen but at least I could change the size to something more visually appeasing

SimleuqiR

Loving the Chrome account signings!!

Now I can truly keep my personal account and apps accounts separated, while using chrome, all at the same time!!!

kehs

Banned
So glad the account sign in finally made it to stable, I can finally get some people on it around here.

*sigh of relief*

Jasoco

Banned
Is that on the Stable? I'm on Dev which is 17 but had been thinking of just jumping down to Stable to stay since most of the features I switched to Dev and Canary for have made it into the Stable by now. What does 17 have that 16 doesn't? It's probably nothing I would even know existed.

Rur0ni

Is that on the Stable? I'm on Dev which is 17 but had been thinking of just jumping down to Stable to stay since most of the features I switched to Dev and Canary for have made it into the Stable by now. What does 17 have that 16 doesn't? It's probably nothing I would even know existed.
I used to be on dev until stable hit 11 I think. Nothing compelling about dev now, and I did have some web issues using dev at some point, as well as crashes. Stable all good though.

Jasoco

Banned
I used to be on dev until stable hit 11 I think. Nothing compelling about dev now, and I did have some web issues using dev at some point, as well as crashes. Stable all good though.
Thanks. I just downgraded. But I had to do it the "Jasoco" way. Normally Chrome will complain if you load up a newer profile in an older version, but syncing doesn't bring EVERYTHING over for some reason (Preferences for extensions for one) so I had to rename my old Chrome folder in ~/Library/Application Support/Google/ to "Chrome.old", launch the new Chrome, set it all up with syncing and get everything synced including my Xmarks, then quit it and copy over certain folders and files from the "old" profile folder to the new one to get the non-synced stuff back.

But I've done it so many times it's second nature. Back on Stable for now. It has everything I've needed anyway so who cares? Unless Dev gets another really awesome thing I just have to have, I'll stick with Stable. Seeing as it has the Lion features I switched to Dev for in the first place anyway.

Edit: What happened to the NeoGAF all-in-one extension? It disappeared from my Extensions list and no longer appears on the store! I don't want to have to install a bunch of extensions! I wanted that one all-in-one!

Jasoco

Banned
Yeah. Looks like Dev is back to being bleeding edge now instead of "Well, I want the features that I should have but can't wait for them so I'll use this unstable version". Dev didn't give me many problems though, but I'll stick with Stable for now.

I just wish I knew how to fix the "Update server not available" problem I'm having again. I need to reset it somehow.

Rur0ni

Yeah. Looks like Dev is back to being bleeding edge now instead of "Well, I want the features that I should have but can't wait for them so I'll use this unstable version". Dev didn't give me many problems though, but I'll stick with Stable for now.

I just wish I knew how to fix the "Update server not available" problem I'm having again. I need to reset it somehow.
I had that problem when I downloaded stand alone releases. But when I uninstalled and downloaded the normal web installer I had an updater again.

Jasoco

Banned
OS X Chrome doesn't have an installer. You just drag the app to the Applications folder. I think Chrome puts an updater somewhere in the Library, and for some reason it has gotten confused because I deleted other versions of Chrome that I didn't want anymore (I used to have all FOUR channels installed and named Chrome, Chrome Beta, Chrome Dev and Chrome Canary) so now it doesn't know what to do. I know I can just delete the updater, wherever it's hidden, and have Chrome reinstall it, but I don't know where it is. Or what files to delete to fix it.

Chrome's updater sucks. They should really use Sparkle for the OS X version.

Edit: Fixed (I assume). I just deleted the ~/Library/Google folder and the /Library/Google folder (Not the ones in Application Support, the ones directly in the Library) and it doesn't error anymore. Easy fix. Easier than I thought. When you delete it, Chrome disables autoupdate and lets you re-set it up.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Alright, so here's what Chrome 16 brings to the table:

http://googlesystem.blogspot.com/2011/12/new-in-chrome-16-profiles-and-cloud.html

1. The print preview page now integrates with Cloud Print. That means you can now print any webpage or PDF file using Cloud Print.

2. Chrome now has an interface for creating profiles. Go to Options > Personal Stuff and click "Add new user". After creating a new profile, Google asks you to log in using a Google Account and sync your settings and data, but this is optional. You can change the profile name and the icon that's always displayed in the top-left corner of the window.

3. YouTube, Gmail and Google Search are the apps that are automatically added when you install Chrome or create a new profile. The Search app was about to be removed because the icon was ugly.
Cloud Print is finally useful! For me at least.

User accounts are cool if you have people sharing a single account on a single computer. Doesn't really affect me though, but it's nice for my parents.

The new apps are pretty useless, but eh. Gets them more exposure from new Chrome users, although I'd wager to bet there are more YouTube, Gmail, and Google Search users than Chrome ones.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I can't believe it's been 10 versions already since I made this thread. Mindblowing.

If I had to choose the one piece of software I love the most, Chrome would probably be it. <3

Does anyone else's Chrome not let them drag a tab to another window via alt-tabbing anymore, I think it stopped around v.13/14, worked before then. Was real handy for moving tabs, now it just releases the dragged one when you alt-tab.

kehs

Banned
Does anyone else's Chrome not let them drag a tab to another window via alt-tabbing anymore, I think it stopped around v.13/14, worked before then. Was real handy for moving tabs, now it just releases the dragged one when you alt-tab.

I was sad to see that go =(. It probably has to do with the profiles being based per window thing.

GAF, is there a Chrome extension that adds a search box to Chrome (like every other browser has) but also gives you auto suggestions? 'Cuz I sure as shit 'n' sugar can't find one if there is.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
Yes I know, and that sucks and is counter to my browsing habits.

oh, well then I don't know what to say. There's no API to change how the browser UI looks or works so there's no way to change it.

combining the search box and address bar is a design decision Google made. I thought everyone liked it :\

are you coming from another browser? I promise it gets better. You will learn to love it.

What possible browsing habits can you have that prohibit you from using a single bar for both things?

I switch search engines a lot. Nothing about Chrome makes that as easy as have a little dropdown list immediately available, a la Firefox. I also dislike having my previously visited web addresses mixed with auto suggestions. It's just distracting and I'd rather keep them separate.

combining the search box and address bar is a design decision Google made. I thought everyone liked it :\

are you coming from another browser? I promise it gets better. You will learn to love it.

This is probably my 5th or 6th time trying to switch to Chrome. Firefox, which I usually use, increasingly sucks, and Safari I never liked. So far, I still don't love Chrome. I feel like I'm just barely tolerating it, really :\

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
I switch search engines a lot. Nothing about Chrome makes that as easy as have a little dropdown list immediately available, a la Firefox. I also dislike having my previously visited web addresses mixed with auto suggestions. It's just distracting and I'd rather keep them separate.

I don't know if it helps but you can set keywords for different search engines in the options

so you could type "wiki <something>" and it will search wikipedia

http://support.google.com/chrome/bin/answer.py?hl=en-GB&answer=95653

This is probably my 5th or 6th time trying to switch to Chrome. Firefox, which I usually use, increasingly sucks, and Safari I never liked. So far, I still don't love Chrome. I feel like I'm just barely tolerating it, really :\

are you using Windows? IE9 is pretty good (I know this sounds like a sarcastic post but it's not)

kehs

Banned

You can setup multiple search engines with shortcuts, so in the bar you type:

g boobs = Searches google
y boobs = Searches yahoo
a boobs = altavista
n boobs = neogaf custom google search

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ

If you've visited a site once and it uses OpenSearch, you can easily switch search engines in the Omnibox.

For instance, type twitter.com then Space, you'll now be searching Twitter.

youtube.com + Space, you'll be searching YouTube.

Et cetera.

If these addresses autocomplete, then all you have to do is hit Tab. So "y + Tab" will search YouTube.

Right clicking the Omnibox and clicking "Edit search engines" will let you customize what you have to type, as well as all the other details.

Trust me, you'll learn to love having it unified.

Mairu

Pages are loading with some bizarre character encoding for me

example:

ipPfXASmBlm08.png

iEMKuilxEn6NN.png

anyone have any ideas on how to fix? chrome bugs are annoying :/

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Try the same pages in incognito and see if they appear, just to check to make sure it isn't an extension.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Thinking of making an HTML5 Gaming thread like the iOS and Android ones but I'm split on what to call it.

HTML5 Gaming |OT|
Web Gaming |OT|
Chrome Gaming |OT|

HTML5 Gaming would include all HTML5 games, Web Gaming would also include Flash games, Chrome Gaming would be centered on the Chrome Web Store.

Hrm, thoughts? With the Native Client announcements (Bastion and Unity coming to Chrome in particular) I think we could use a thread like this.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Then you might need a Chrome version of the plugin somehow. Go to Apple's QuickTime site and see if it's there.

Anybody know why this is happening?

YZUDc.jpg

Sometimes i'll get this double scrollbar thing. The normal one on the right doesn't move. I can still scroll using it, but it's the one on the left that goes up and down.

Gattsu25

Banned
Thinking of making an HTML5 Gaming thread like the iOS and Android ones but I'm split on what to call it.

HTML5 Gaming |OT|
Web Gaming |OT|
Chrome Gaming |OT|

HTML5 Gaming would include all HTML5 games, Web Gaming would also include Flash games, Chrome Gaming would be centered on the Chrome Web Store.

Hrm, thoughts? With the Native Client announcements (Bastion and Unity coming to Chrome in particular) I think we could use a thread like this.
Not sure which to go with but your post reminded me to check out Bastion on Chrome. It's a great port and I'm actually finding it much easier to play than when I tried it on 360

I bought it. So now I own a Chrome game. Not sure what I think about that.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Not sure which to go with but your post reminded me to check out Bastion on Chrome. It's a great port and I'm actually finding it much easier to play than when I tried it on 360

I bought it. So now I own a Chrome game. Not sure what I think about that.

Another convert! Mwahaha. >:)

I'll probably go with HTML5 Gaming since it's more buzzwordy and will attract more activity. If I include Flash the Apple snobs will write it off, and if I just go with Chrome then we may miss out on some general HTML5 goodness.

Gattsu25

Banned
Another convert! Mwahaha. >:)

I'll probably go with HTML5 Gaming since it's more buzzwordy and will attract more activity. If I include Flash the Apple snobs will write it off, and if I just go with Chrome then we may miss out on some general HTML5 goodness.
Sounds like a plan. I'm interested in HTML 5 gaming, anyway ;)

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Alright so I'm putting together an HTML5 gaming OT and would love to feature any GAFer's HTML5 games. So respond if you've made one, preferably with a link to it.

Top Bottom