• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Google Chrome |OT|

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
According to that site Chrome was at 20% in June, so that's 6% in 5 months. IE lost 3% in that same timeframe. At the rate things are going, Chrome might pass IE next year. :O :O :O

12 months = +14.4% for Chrome
12 months = -7.2% for IE

26 + 14.4 = 40.4% for Chrome in November 2012
40 - 7.2 = 32.8% for Internet Explorer in November 2012

Which means they'll probably cross even earlier in the year than November. This is so exciting. The death of IE!

Tokubetsu

I recently just got a new mouse and feel like cursor responsiveness in chrome has gone down. I'm triple+ clicking things just to get them to load normally now. Help?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I recently just got a new mouse and feel like cursor responsiveness in chrome has gone down. I'm triple+ clicking things just to get them to load normally now. Help?

Go back to your old mouse? That doesn't seem like a Chrome problem.

I was browsing on chrome yesterday (mac osx lion) and it just randomly crashed and froze my whole computer and I had to do a hard restart of my system (first time something like that has ever happened on my mac). So I restart chrome and it takes forever to boot up (and it temporarily freezes my computer in the process). It does this every time I start the program now. And whenever it starts it says it can't load my profile. I tried deleting it and reinstalling it again but it made no difference. Can anyone help?

SuperÑ

OptionN, ShiftN
315d1274716776-google-chrome-error-page-chrome-error-page.jpg

I've been getting this error lately. I've installed a few reliable extensions, so i doubt that's the cause. What else should i check?

Mairu

SuperÑ;33100751 said:

I've been getting this error lately. I've installed a few reliable extensions, so i doubt that's the cause. What else should i check?

I was getting that all the time browsing NeoGAF & other forums, the only thing I saw as a solution was deleting your user profile folder

SuperÑ;33100751 said:

lmao this deserves a avatar quote imo.

Keep turning off some extensions and try to single them out one by one.

KiKaL

Chrome has been crashing a lot for me and my buddy as well. : / I haven't changed anything so I don't know why it would start now. I am not on the dev channel or anything.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Flash has been tanking Chrome hard for me personally, I don't know if that's the reason for anybody else.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
still only on canary then? :(

what's the release time between canary and dev nowadays? It used to be a few days.

also, pointer lock sounds cool.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Yeah, I don't know. But it is definitely in Canary. Maybe a week? It'll be in Chrome 17 (as a flag, at least.)

Damn, today's canary update crashes as soon as I type a single character into the omnibox. Bookmarks + copypasting URLs for me today I guess.

Fatalah

I just bought a new laptop, and the touchpad software doesn't have smooth scrolling.

Firefox's smooth scrolling option works like a charm. I turned on Chrome's through the experimental options (chrome://flags), and it's a pretty wretched visual experience.

Basically: This stinks, what can I do?

mollipen

Anybody have a good suggestion for an extension that can block actual pieces of code on a website from even loading? Not as in blocking me from seeing them, but totally skipping them in the rendering of the page?

No sure if it's possible or not, but I have a website I have to work with where there are a lot of Facebook plug-ins and other content that I feel like are causing the pages (and Chrome itself) to be far slower than they should be. It's really annoying, and I'm trying to see if I can get things back to a tolerable point.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
Anybody have a good suggestion for an extension that can block actual pieces of code on a website from even loading? Not as in blocking me from seeing them, but totally skipping them in the rendering of the page?

No sure if it's possible or not, but I have a website I have to work with where there are a lot of Facebook plug-ins and other content that I feel like are causing the pages (and Chrome itself) to be far slower than they should be. It's really annoying, and I'm trying to see if I can get things back to a tolerable point.

You can block all those stupid social media buttons using Disconnect

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/jeoacafpbcihiomhlakheieifhpjdfeo

You could also try adblock and just manually block parts of the page you don't want

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/cfhdojbkjhnklbpkdaibdccddilifddb

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Yeah, I do believe that AdBlock makes use of a new more powerful API to completely block stuff. I also use Facebook Disconnect, but for reasons unrelated to performance.

Cudder

Chrome has been shitting the bed for me lately on my Mac, so I'm using Safari for now. Damn, who knew the GAF extension was so much better on Safari then Chrome?

Chrome has been shitting the bed for me lately on my Mac, so I'm using Safari for now. Damn, who knew the GAF extension was so much better on Safari then Chrome?

Chrome is acting wonky on my Mac as well. Delays at the start of text input fields, hangups, etc. Safari is running like a beast though.

Fatalah

Yeah, I do believe that AdBlock makes use of a new more powerful API to completely block stuff. I also use Facebook Disconnect, but for reasons unrelated to performance.

From what I've read, the Experimental Builds version is best. Hmm, it requires "experimental extension APIs" to be activated under chrome://flags . Never messed with that before.

Leucrota

Anybody else getting these weird errors when trying to watch videos, especially on Youtube. I know I have the plugins because the video is either HTML5 (no plugin needed) or Flash (which is built into chrome, so what is going on? Been happening since 14.0 too. Sometimes the sound plays and the video buffers in the background

175405c1c2437d553824f2b0591ae1c6646d822f5a7f8dc62854e303e8b673b46g.jpg

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Looks like it may be some kind of malware that uses Java to confuse you. Somehow. I'd scan your system with MSE.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
go to chrome://plugins/ and disable everything.

then turn them back on one by one and see if something is causing a problem.

same goes for any extensions you have installed. disable everything and then see if something is causing this.

Leucrota

go to chrome://plugins/ and disable everything.

then turn them back on one by one and see if something is causing a problem.

same goes for any extensions you have installed. disable everything and then see if something is causing this.

For some reason I am thinking it might be Adblock because it does not happen on all videos, only some, and it might have to do with the add being blocked.

Shepard

Found this demo of the gamepad API called Boxes Wot Shoot created by Google engineer Scott Graham

It's amazing to see how far the web has come in just a few short years.

http://boxes-wot-shoot.appspot.com/

Wow, I'm finally starting to see a meaning for Chrome Apps. This demo looks awesome but I can't get it to work, it stays in the "press a button on your controller" screen. (Canary, tried using both my 360 controller and keyboard/mouse :\)

Edit: Found out the problem: enable gamepad in about:flags.

This is amazing!

Zeppu

Open incognito, close normal window, maximize incognito, close incognito (make sure it'll be the last window to close) and it should start up maximized next time.

Bollocks

Open incognito, close normal window, maximize incognito, close incognito (make sure it'll be the last window to close) and it should start up maximized next time.
I had really high hopes for this, but nothing changed :( I also discovered that it also happens if I open a new non incognito window, so I opened one, maximized it, closed my main window, closed the other, relaunched chrome, new window, still the same :/

Top Bottom