• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Google Chrome |OT|

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
It's good to know that it's getting fixed, but it's really just the kind of bullshit that should never be there to begin with.

All browsers end up with some quirks sometimes. It's just how it is with browsers being so complicated, and there being such a wide variety of content on the net to test things against.

PS: I do find it funny though that the website that crashes in Google's own. LOL

For some reason I can't get streaming radio to work in Chrome anymore under Windows 7. I can stream video with sound no problem. But if it is just an audio stream, no dice. :(

_RT_

I think I have an extension loaded on my personal laptop that I don't have at work and need help figuring out what it is.

I want to:
Have a PDF open in chrome and have the option to automatically upload to Google Docs.
I was able to do this at home on Friday.

Get to work today, open a PDF..... no option.
I have to save it locally and then manually upload it to Google Docs.

There must be an extension or an option I don't have turned on.

Thanks in advance-

All browsers end up with some quirks sometimes. It's just how it is with browsers being so complicated, and there being such a wide variety of content on the net to test things against.

PS: I do find it funny though that the website that crashes in Google's own. LOL

Well that's what's so hard to understand. Not only is youtube a huge site which they surely could have caught the problem with before updating, but they even own it themselves... Jebus.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
http://www.favbrowser.com/youtube-crashing-in-chrome-heres-how-to-fix-that/

Over the course of last few last days, a huge amount of Google Chrome users have started experiencing crashes when surfing YouTutbe web site. While the search giant is presumably working on a way to fix that, here is what you can do to stop crashes from happening again:

- Right click on the video
- Click “Stop Downloading” before you close the tab
- Job done

AndyD

aka andydumi
Interesting, I get occasional crashes when closing the browser after vieweing youtube, but not if the youtube video is embedded in a different page.

Sean

Banned
Speaking of YouTube has there been a good download plugin yet?

Would like an easy way to download a YouTube video (HD version) without having to launch Firefox for the DownloadHelper extension...

Quick

Banned
Is it just me, or is downloading files a bit slow? I've gotten decent speeds with Firefox, I'm getting 30> kb/s. Am I placing the blame wrongly on Chrome, or what.

Sorry if this has been discussed here, but what's the best Chrome extension for downloading YouTube videos?
You couldn't be arsed to read 5 posts above yours? I'm not going to quote it for you. Depending on your monitor size, you might even have to scroll up after I post this. Heaven forbid.

You couldn't be arsed to read 5 posts above yours? I'm not going to quote it for you. Depending on your monitor size, you might even have to scroll up after I post this. Heaven forbid.

Sorry for violently offending you so much. I missed the post thinking it was still a part of the YouTube Options discussion. My humble apologies.

Pyrokai

How do we feel about Chromebooks? I'm looking to get my first portable computing device, and I'm looking at either a Chromebook or an Android tablet. Are Chromebook users generally a satisfied bunch? Not sure where else to ask this but here, so I'm hoping this is okay :)

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
How do we feel about Chromebooks? I'm looking to get my first portable computing device, and I'm looking at either a Chromebook or an Android tablet. Are Chromebook users generally a satisfied bunch? Not sure where else to ask this but here, so I'm hoping this is okay :)

Here is fine, but I think most people here would unambiguously recommend a tablet (iOS or Android) over a Chromebook given comparable pricing.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ

Depends on what you're looking for. If you're OK with reduced functionality in exchange for a computer that doesn't get worse over time (from use) like most other OS's and you do 98% of your stuff online, a Chromebook is probably for you.

mclaren777

Here is fine, but I think most people here would unambiguously recommend a tablet (iOS or Android) over a Chromebook given comparable pricing.

I'm not in the "most" category. Given comparable prices, I'd recommend a Chromebook instead of a tablet, especially if he's planning to produce content.

SimleuqiR

MEGATON!!!!

http://www.theverge.com/2012/2/7/27...ta-launches-on-android-4-0-phones-and-tablets

Chrome for Android beta launches with place shifting, faster rendering, and card view

SHIIIIIIT!!!!!!

The product represents as much a technical milestone as anything else, but that doesn't mean Chrome for Android doesn't have new user-facing features, too: besides a fresh UI, Google is touting a new, more natural tab management interface, bookmark and tab synchronization with the desktop, support for incognito windows (this is Chrome, after all), and something called Link Preview that makes it easier to select the right link in a densely-populated area of a page. More on that in a bit.

android-browser-vs-chrome.jpg

chrome-for-android-hands-on-57-1020_gallery_post.jpg

clav

Just tried it out on the HP Touchpad.

Performance sucks, but at least Google is willing to put Chrome on Android.

clav

Really? It is smooth as butter on my Nexus Tuna.

Not smooth at all compared to the stock ICS browser.

I suppose since the browser relies on graphics hardware acceleration which the HP Touchpad port does not have yet, scrolling is not smooth at all.

Jasoco

Banned
Now if they could also release Chrome for iOS I'd be using it on everything! Right now however I just use ReadItLater for temporarily sending links between devices. (iCab has it built in on iOS)

Wait. It's just for Android 4.0? Fucking hell. My Optimus V will never have anything higher than 2.2... or 2.3... or whatever I have now.

Now if they could also release Chrome for iOS I'd be using it on everything! Right now however I just use ReadItLater for temporarily sending links between devices. (iCab has it built in on iOS)

Wait. It's just for Android 4.0? Fucking hell. My Optimus V will never have anything higher than 2.2... or 2.3... or whatever I have now.

I feel your pain. Mine is stuck at 2.1 forever.

They can't. It would just be a skinned Safari.

Jasoco

Banned
I feel your pain. Mine is stuck at 2.1 forever.
Mine's prepaid, and Virgin doesn't have a single phone right now over 2.3.

I'm probably going to go iPhone next time, but if I don't, I won't upgrade until Virgin has something with 4. This thing is slow as moles asses in winter now. And I don't even install extensions. But I can't do a thing about the apps that insist on running in the background, including all the shitty shovelware apps I never use that I can't remove. Twitdroyd? Go to hell. airG Chat? Poynt? SCNVGR? Where? Get that shit off my phone goddammit! They all run in the background too! And I NEVER USE ANY OF THEM!
Rooting is not an option because the instructions for this specific phone are extremely complicated and most of the utilities required are broken links.

They can't. It would just be a skinned Safari.
So's iCab if you're gonna get technical. And every other browser. You're wrong. It's not the WebKit view that matters, it's the features the framework give you.

Aeana

Really liking Chrome for Android. As a bonus, auto-correct works on the GAF webapp in this, when it was broken in the stock browser on ICS.

Jafku

Mine's prepaid, and Virgin doesn't have a single phone right now over 2.3.

I'm probably going to go iPhone next time, but if I don't, I won't upgrade until Virgin has something with 4. This thing is slow as moles asses in winter now. And I don't even install extensions. But I can't do a thing about the apps that insist on running in the background, including all the shitty shovelware apps I never use that I can't remove. Twitdroyd? Go to hell. airG Chat? Poynt? SCNVGR? Where? Get that shit off my phone goddammit! They all run in the background too! And I NEVER USE ANY OF THEM!
Rooting is not an option because the instructions for this specific phone are extremely complicated and most of the utilities required are broken links.

So's iCab if you're gonna get technical. And every other browser. You're wrong. It's not the WebKit view that matters, it's the features the framework give you.

Are you sure? I rooted my Optimus V and it was very simple. Try this

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=935312

And if you want, the best rom for the Optimus V is http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1176888

Doopliss

Not smooth at all compared to the stock ICS browser.

I suppose since the browser relies on graphics hardware acceleration which the HP Touchpad port does not have yet, scrolling is not smooth at all.
The Touchpad does do GPU accelerated rendering, the stock browser uses it. What it doesn't do yet is GPU accelerated video playback.

You might be right that Chrome isn't using the Touchpad's GPU, though.

Jasoco

Banned
Are you sure? I rooted my Optimus V and it was very simple. Try this

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=935312

And if you want, the best rom for the Optimus V is http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1176888
I'll look into that, thanks.

Will it let me put 4.0 on it or just get it up to whatever the highest 2 is? Or what? I don't know anything about Rooting, but if it lets me remove apps that I can't remove normally that aren't parts of the core OS, and lets me make apps I did download not load themselves at bootup, I'd be happy. It's one reason I love my iPad and iPod. No fucking third-party bloatware crufting up the system running in the background.

Top Bottom