• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Google Chrome |OT|

Jasoco

Banned
I'm on the HTML5 test so I'm not affected. :D

Although the player has grown in size for some reason...
They changed the sizes of the "large" viewer. It's now actually 720. Amazing because it still fits completely on my screen once I scroll down past the header.

Also, I don't get why YouTube is unsure whether to use the Flash player or HTML5 player for me. It's like it randomly picks one or the other for each video because some of them show up as HTML5 which bugs the shit out of me in Fullscreen Chrome because "ESCAPE" to exit out of Fullscreen is the same key OS X uses to exit out of fullscreen in the app so I end up exiting out of both fullscreen video and fullscreen Chrome and have to go back into Chrome fullscreen... Wish I could disable Escape as the "exit fullscreen Lion mode" key.

Anyway, any ideas? Maybe it has to do with what codec the video uses? And older videos don't have a H.264 version? That's what I am guessing.

Thanks for the link, will try the fix later. Had Chrome crash for me several times on youtube yesterday.

Although the player has grown in size for some reason...

Which is fantastic. The big size here is easily the best and I hated youtube ever since they removed cosmic panda because they took away the big size. Finally back.
3AQmK.gif

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
So I finally got that dreaded Chrome OS bug. My touch pad won't let me scroll anymore. I can still use it to move the cursor and click and such. I can't two finger scroll anymore though. :(

torontoml

I don't think its the same problem because I don't get a pop-up window saying anything crashed. But for the last couple weeks certain pages load then turn to just a black screen, YouTube does it occasionally but the video keeps playing I just can not see anything. maps.google.com does it instantly almost, there are some other pages but I can't quite remember what they are.

Anyone know what the issue might be?

Mengetsu

I don't think its the same problem because I don't get a pop-up window saying anything crashed. But for the last couple weeks certain pages load then turn to just a black screen, YouTube does it occasionally but the video keeps playing I just can not see anything. maps.google.com does it instantly almost, there are some other pages but I can't quite remember what they are.

Anyone know what the issue might be?

Might want to check here.

http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/Chrome/thread?tid=1627b9d058e9203b&hl=en

DMczaf

I've been getting the Youtube/Flash crash as well. Started yesterday. I was on stable 16, now I'm on beta 17 and I got the crash again.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Count me in as one of the people having crashes. Oddly my Chromebook doesn't crash since it's on a different branch. Makes me think it's a bug in the stable, and they need to push out a fix ASAP.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Lol I watched the new Sequelitis and since it had ads I got the Flash version. Went to close the tab, and... yup. Crash. Pretty strange.

Everyone else I would suggest switching to the HTML5 test for now, it's actually not as horrible as it used to be and in fact is very close to the "real version." Annotations, captions, etc. all work. www.youtube.com/html5

Jasoco

Banned
Lol I watched the new Sequelitis and since it had ads I got the Flash version. Went to close the tab, and... yup. Crash. Pretty strange.

Everyone else I would suggest switching to the HTML5 test for now, it's actually not as horrible as it used to be and in fact is very close to the "real version." Annotations, captions, etc. all work. www.youtube.com/html5

Yeah, it is pretty nice and seamless except for that really stupid Lion conflict I mentioned. But other than that, it's nice that I can't even tell the difference most of the time.

Jzero

Awesome. The last time i used it it was buggy as shit.

giga

You should make a port of this safari extension: http://hoyois.github.com/safariextensions/clicktoplugin/

He provides the source too. Basically replaces plug-ins with html5 equivalents. It uses the native browser html5 media controls, which I prefer to Youtube's crap.

Didn't have to watch any ads and got straight through to the 720P MP4:

lN0T6.png

Quick

Banned
After doing a fresh install of Windows, I decided to switch over to Chrome. Loving the simplicity of it, so far.

Does anyone have any suggestions on tweaks? I did a small one with the address bar, by having it redirect to a specific page rather than to Google by typing in keywords, like Firefox (ie: "Chrome wikipedia" brings me to the Wikipedia article on Chrome).

Second, is there a way to make the scroll wheel act like it does with Firefox? When I click on my scroll wheel, it acts like a click and drag, rather than moving the mouse down and the page just scrolls until I stop.

Corrupt

Glad to see it's not just me having this problem, I'm managing to get round it by opening youtube links in a new window though. Hope a fix happens soon.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Second, is there a way to make the scroll wheel act like it does with Firefox? When I click on my scroll wheel, it acts like a click and drag, rather than moving the mouse down and the page just scrolls until I stop.

In Chrome it works the way you described for me. Click wheel, page scrolls up/down until I re-click the wheel.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
After doing a fresh install of Windows, I decided to switch over to Chrome. Loving the simplicity of it, so far.

Does anyone have any suggestions on tweaks? I did a small one with the address bar, by having it redirect to a specific page rather than to Google by typing in keywords, like Firefox (ie: "Chrome wikipedia" brings me to the Wikipedia article on Chrome).

Options > Basics > Manage Search Engines

you can set keywords for search engines

http://support.google.com/chrome/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=95653

MrHicks

Banned
which adblock is actually better?

"adblock" or "ablockplus"

ABP is from the firefox ABP guy so i trust that more then "adblock"

is there a difference though lol

Kibbles

Youtube keeps crashing Chrome. WTF, if anything I would think Chrome would be the best browser with youtube considering youtube is owned by google. Glad to see it's not a problem on my end though as everyone else seems to be having it. Fix your shit google.

I'll try out that beta link posted above...

Mengetsu

I tried every suggestion online and in here. Sadly I still suffer. It only crashes when im on youtube and when i exit out the tab while its there. Now i have to leave the page before I can close the tab...really annoying. I hope there's a fix soon. I might try the beta as stated above but I don't know if the beta is better or worse the regular chrome. Plus I dont wan't to re enter passwords and ect for switching :/

Youtube keeps crashing Chrome. WTF, if anything I would think Chrome would be the best browser with youtube considering youtube is owned by google. Glad to see it's not a problem on my end though as everyone else seems to be having it. Fix your shit google.

I'll try out that beta link posted above...

I've gotten a lot of that, too. Fortunately, everytime I start to have problems, I notice there's an update waiting that usually fixes it. Probably just slow to update since I never close my browser.

Vox-Pop

Contains Sucralose
Try changing it to Google Public DNS
it's 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4

i have both of them installed since ABP doesn't seem to be working at the moment

I gave this a try, I will see if it makes a difference. thanks.

EDIT: It seems to have fixed the problem, thanks jzero. Chrome still freezes when I'm trying to load a new page, but at least i'm not getting that DNS error page.

Anyone know of a good youtube auto high quality selector extension? Last one I used stop working for awhile now and I cant find a good one.

DeSo

Banned
I use the beta Adblock Plus, works really well for me.

The Youtube bug is really annoying, I instinctively try and close the tab and bang, frozen again. Hopefully a fix isn't far away.

I use the beta Adblock Plus, works really well for me.

The Youtube bug is really annoying, I instinctively try and close the tab and bang, frozen again. Hopefully a fix isn't far away.

Came to this thread to complain about this. The youtube thing is driving me nuts......probably crashed 6 times a day....has gotten to the point that I won't even use youtube because of the hassle. Just switched to chrome last month from firefox and get this welcome. Even more pathetic considering youtube is a google website. Combine that with my frustration with firefox (lots of lag and slowness in general) and I may hafta go IE.....who woulda thought.

They sure know how to lose marketshare.

It crashes for me too, after a video ends or when I try to close the youtube tab. :/

Been going on for a while now. It really is kind of pathetic.

Really lowers my opinion of Google's programmers that this type of problem still hasn't been fixed. I mean its their browser and their website. I don't see how it could be that hard.

Have they put out a statement of any kind?

Top Bottom