• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Google Chrome |OT|

Jafku

I'll look into that, thanks.

Will it let me put 4.0 on it or just get it up to whatever the highest 2 is? Or what? I don't know anything about Rooting, but if it lets me remove apps that I can't remove normally that aren't parts of the core OS, and lets me make apps I did download not load themselves at bootup, I'd be happy. It's one reason I love my iPad and iPod. No fucking third-party bloatware crufting up the system running in the background.

the highest is Android 2.3.7. It should let you remove Twidroiyd and all the other virgin mobile specific apps.

Salaadin

I like the Chrome beta app. Very slick.
All it needs now are gestures. I love drawing a giant 'N' on my screen to go to gaf.

Now if they could also release Chrome for iOS I'd be using it on everything! Right now however I just use ReadItLater for temporarily sending links between devices. (iCab has it built in on iOS)

Yeah. I'd be there in a heartbeat.

Still, a Chrome app for iOS would likely be largely what the other browsers available on iOS are: re-skinned versions of Mobile Safari (a wrapper for UIWebView). But that might not be all bad — Mobile Safari still offers a smoother browsing experience when compared to this new Mobile Chrome, as I laid out in my review.
That's too bad. Though I have a feeling as iOS devices continue to get more powerful, Apple will continue to slowly remove some of the restrictions in their walled garden to stay competitive.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
So's iCab if you're gonna get technical. And every other browser. You're wrong. It's not the WebKit view that matters, it's the features the framework give you.

V8, apps, extensions, sandboxing, auto-updating, basically all the best parts of Chrome would be impossible to achieve in an iOS down-port.

Yay walled gardens!

andthebeatgoeson

This is fucking bullshit. I just bought this phone 10 months ago and I can't get this friggin beta? WTF? Fuck you, Android. They should be forcing companies to stay up to date. I'm on a fuckin Thunderbolt and it's still at 2.3.4

AndyD

aka andydumi
This is fucking bullshit. I just bought this phone 10 months ago and I can't get this friggin beta? WTF? Fuck you, Android. They should be forcing companies to stay up to date. I'm on a fuckin Thunderbolt and it's still at 2.3.4

Its a beta for a reason. They want a controlled environment for testing.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Stable channel has been updated to version 17.

Woot!

Can finally override user agents in stable now! But I can't dock the dev tools to the right, guess that'll be 18. :/

Dunno how I feel about the no + button. I've been using Canary which has done that for a while but it still feels like taking something out that didn't need to be removed, especially for new users.

Izick

I'm fine with the subtraction of the plus icon.
3AQmK.gif

Anyways, everything seems to be sailing smoothly for me. No Youtube crashes in a couple days, so I'm guessing that has been hammered out.

Jasoco

Banned
Really? Because I've had a + for a while now... oh... wait... I've been on Stable... Let's see... new update available... aaaaand....

Oh, look. The + is gone again. How quaint. :-/

Oh well. I never actually press it as I always just press Command+T.

I know Chrome's been having problems with YouTube and crashing, but now the YouTube progress bar loads 100% after a few seconds (when the video clearly isn't fully loaded). Anyone else have this issue?

subrock

I'm new to Mac and I have chrome installed but I'm getting a lot of artifacts when I scroll on a loading image. ie. the image slices and tiles all the way down the page as I'm scrolling. is this a new bug or has this always been a problem with chrome on mac? lower specced PC never had this problem

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Is the plus sign in the new tab box gone for everyone?
eddBn.png
CFjNT.png

i swear it was there earlier today but I found a thread with others saying it was gone.

edit. lol. i see the posts above

Gattsu25

Banned
I know Chrome's been having problems with YouTube and crashing, but now the YouTube progress bar loads 100% after a few seconds (when the video clearly isn't fully loaded). Anyone else have this issue?
Only happens to me with HTML5 videos

The crashing never happened with me, oddly enough.

I'm on the Chrome Dev Channel, here

On Chrome 18 Beta here, and I just noticed today that Hardware Acceleration finally seems to be enabled on Mac now according to about:GPU.

Any Mac users want to test this who are on the stable channel? I figure this may have come with 10.7.3, or maybe they're finally implementing it on Mac because of 10.7.3.

There's also tons of new Flags in 18 for new GPU Acceleration options.

Op. Nevermind. It's a part of Chrome 18:

For most Windows and Mac users, we’ve enabled GPU-accelerated rendering of 2D Canvas content, so that canvas-based games and animations run faster and feel smoother. You can go to chrome://gpu to see which features are being accelerated. This is a tricky area to optimize, due to the wide variety of hardware and operating system configurations found in the wild. We’ve made a series of small improvements to the way this acceleration works in the latest release, and we're seeking feedback on it from our Beta users. If you notice performance problems with 2D Canvas graphics content, particularly if you’re a web developer using 2D Canvas on your site, please file a bug.

At the same time, we recognize that many people with older GPUs and graphics drivers have not been able to experience the rich content provided by technologies such as WebGL. Chrome is now able to display 3D content via SwiftShader, a software rasterizer we licensed from TransGaming, Inc. Although SwiftShader won’t perform as well as a real GPU, it will be an improvement for many of our users on older operating systems such as Windows XP.

SwiftShader automatically kicks in for those users who cannot run content on the GPU. If you want to take a peek at what the performance is like with SwiftShader, you can use the --blacklist-accelerated-compositing and --blacklist-webgl flags, wait a few minutes for the automatic download to complete, and then load the relevant web page.

Vox-Pop

Contains Sucralose
Is the plus sign in the new tab box gone for everyone?
eddBn.png
CFjNT.png

i swear it was there earlier today but I found a thread with others saying it was gone.

edit. lol. i see the posts above

Its been gone for a while for me. I'm also seeing black boxes before my pictures load.

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
The white plus sign in the red button was a good look on my browser. Others it looks iffy in other color schemes, but I'll miss it from mine.

Korey

I'm trying to make the switch from Firefox to Chrome but there are little things stopping me

Is there an option or extension to make middle clicking a tab open a new tab instead of closing it?

Why is it when I open a tab Chrome says I'm not logged in but when I open a page it says I'm logged in? Also did the position of your email address change on the Google search page?

Izick

Too anyone using the Experimental Adblock Plus Build(s):

Is the white listing feature busted for anyone else? I can white list the sites I want, like NeoGaf, but if I end that session, and start a new session later, all the white listed sites are forgotten.

This happening to anyone else, and is there a way to fix it?

Is there any fix to having my extension icons not lose their place when I restart the browser? Have been waiting on a fix for months and nothing.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I was unsure about this preloading thing but it's turning out super nice. Typing N then hitting enter brings up the NeoGAF Control Panel instantly for me. No loading whatsoever. It's kind of offputting actually, I'm used to always have a bit of loading. :p

ScOULaris

Too anyone using the Experimental Adblock Plus Build(s):

Is the white listing feature busted for anyone else? I can white list the sites I want, like NeoGaf, but if I end that session, and start a new session later, all the white listed sites are forgotten.

This happening to anyone else, and is there a way to fix it?

I'm not sure about that, but the experimental build of ABP has been discontinued. Just download the newest version off of the Chrome Web Store. It blocks video/flash ads just like the experimental one did, and you don't even have to have Experimental API's enabled in about:flags anymore.

Izick

I'm not sure about that, but the experimental build of ABP has been discontinued. Just download the newest version off of the Chrome Web Store. It blocks video/flash ads just like the experimental one did, and you don't even have to have Experimental API's enabled in about:flags anymore.

Really? Even on Blip?

Then why did my developmental build just get an update on Thursday?

Derrick01

Banned
so what is pepflashplayer.dll? This was just flagged as safe by Norton but I don't like random things downloading like that. I'm assuming it's just a new part of chrome right? I could only find 1 recent thing on it and someone suggested it was.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I was unsure about this preloading thing but it's turning out super nice. Typing N then hitting enter brings up the NeoGAF Control Panel instantly for me. No loading whatsoever. It's kind of offputting actually, I'm used to always have a bit of loading. :p

That's actually why I switched to Chrome circa version 5 or whatever, because of Instant.

Barrett2

Dude, I bought my phone 5 months ago and im' still on Froyo. Infuriating. I can't imagine I won't just get an iPhone 5 when it releases. Im' sick of this kind of weird shit with Android.

My phone is also not compatible with Hulu for some damn reason.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
so what is pepflashplayer.dll? This was just flagged as safe by Norton but I don't like random things downloading like that. I'm assuming it's just a new part of chrome right? I could only find 1 recent thing on it and someone suggested it was.

yes, it's part of Chrome. It's a version of Flash that uses Google's new Pepper Plugin API (PPAPI).

if you type about:plugins into your address bar and find Flash it will have a few different versions listed. One is "Type: PPAPI (out-of-process)" and the file is pepflashplayer.dll

I think the default version uses NPAPI which is an older version of PPAPI and something Google are trying to replace but nobody else cares.

more info -> http://chromestory.com/2011/04/run-ppapi-flash-in-the-renderer-process-new-in-chromium-flags/

Izick

Update: Apparently the newest vanilla version of ABP can block blip.tv videos as well! So thank you to ScOULaris.

My second question is: I have Neogaf Live Thread and Neogaf Quick Reply, so am I all good on my Gaf extensions for Chrome?

ScOULaris

Update: Apparently the newest vanilla version of ABP can block blip.tv videos as well! So thank you to ScOULaris.

My second question is: I have Neogaf Live Thread and Neogaf Quick Reply, so am I all good on my Gaf extensions for Chrome?

Oh, there are plenty more. I would also install the NeoGAF Keyboard shortcuts, NeoGAF Image Upload, NeoGAF Smilies, and the NeoGAF User Highlighter from the Chrome Web Store.

After you're done with that, uninstall the Quick Reply extension and head over to www.userscripts.org. From there, you'll want to download the NeoGAF Quick Quote, Reply, Edit user script and YouTube Me Again. Both of those are absolutely essential.

You can find links to all of these extensions/scripts in this thread.

Sean

Banned
came here to make sure the removal of the + button wasnt a bug..not sure how I feel about it

I don't even use the new tab button (I use a keyboard shortcut) but the lack of the + button still bothers me.

It might look more "minimal" but having no icon or descriptive text and not even displaying the + button upon hover just makes it much more confusing to newbies. They might as well remove the button altogether to be truly minimal.

killakiz

Anyone else having issues with audio on flash videos after the latest dev update? All audio from flash videos is being output onto my HDMI.

MrHicks

Banned
any idea when flashgot will become possible?
the extensions of chrome keep getting more advanced but the flashgot guy keeps saying its not adequate enough

chrome needs a "downloads api" whathever that means

Izick

Oh, there are plenty more. I would also install the NeoGAF Keyboard shortcuts, NeoGAF Image Upload, NeoGAF Smilies, and the NeoGAF User Highlighter from the Chrome Web Store.

After you're done with that, uninstall the Quick Reply extension and head over to www.userscripts.org. From there, you'll want to download the NeoGAF Quick Quote, Reply, Edit user script and YouTube Me Again. Both of those are absolutely essential.

You can find links to all of these extensions/scripts in this thread.

2b8oh.gif

Thank you!

Jasoco

Banned
any idea when flashgot will become possible?
the extensions of chrome keep getting more advanced but the flashgot guy keeps saying its not adequate enough

chrome needs a "downloads api" whathever that means
It means Chrome, unlike Firefox, doesn't give extensions deep access to files as they are downloading. Stuff like FlashGot and DownloadHelper require access to the page resources too as they are loading in which is why DH can grab any video URL embedded in a page and download it directly from the URL.

I wish it had one though as the lack of DH is the only reason I have to keep Firefox around.

LeleSocho

Banned
Anyone have a weird rendering on the images with the new Chrome? it renders them replacing the unloaded parts with multiple copy of the already loaded parts/bunch of text above the image... it's really annoying...
I've already uninstalled and reinstalled it but i still have the same problem...

EDIT: example
lB9Rx.png

Pctx

Banned
Welp back to using Chrome since Firefox has been shitting out bricks left and right lately. Can't believe they're already on version 17 now.
KuGsj.gif

Izick

Welp back to using Chrome since Firefox has been shitting out bricks left and right lately. Can't believe they're already on version 17 now.
KuGsj.gif

The UI lag on FF is what kills it for me. That and it freezing a little too much for comfort.

Pctx

Banned
The UI lag on FF is what kills it for me. That and it freezing a little too much for comfort.

That's what did it for me. I typed an almost 3 paragraph email and it froze. I then promptly downloaded Chrome and re-typed the email (making some minor editing and word changes) from the hung FF screen and then hit send. Seriously annoying and that was the last straw for me.

Izick

That's what did it for me. I typed an almost 3 paragraph email and it froze. I then promptly downloaded Chrome and re-typed the email (making some minor editing and word changes) from the hung FF screen and then hit send. Seriously annoying and that was the last straw for me.

Yeah, that's what happened for me.

Too many freezes and hangs. It adds up.

Top Bottom