• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Google Chrome |OT|

Izick

Yes. No dice.

This shit sucks. I may try uninstalling and reinstalling. But if I can't fix it I'll probably just switch to another browser.

Try looking at it incognito mode. You have all extensions disabled (by default) there so you can check to see if that's causing the problem without having to go and disable them all.

Doopliss

Woah. What.

This worked. How the heck did it work. Increasing or decreasing the size gets rid of the blue background. However putting it back to the initial size makes it blue again. Weird.
A Google search for 'chrome blue background' would have yielded that information from the first result...

A Google search for 'chrome blue background' would have yielded that information from the first result...

I kept searching for similar things ("wikipedia stuck blue in chrome") ("webpage stuck blue in chrome") but couldn't find anything relevant. My google-fu is weak.

For the past couple of days, every video I try to play on Youtube just shows a green background with the audio playing just fine.

Any ideas?

For the past couple of days, every video I try to play on Youtube just shows a green background with the audio playing just fine.

Any ideas?

Turn off flash hardware acceleration. Right click on the video and it's in settings somewhere.

I think it's related to graphics drivers. I had the issue for awhile once.

SimleuqiR

Chrome for Android update

http://www.androidcentral.com/googl...ed-better-bookmarking-adds-switch-mobile-view

• You can now request the desktop version of a website, in case you would rather not view the mobile version.
  • You can now add bookmarks as shortcuts on your home screen, so you can get to your favorite sites faster.
  • Choose your favorite apps to handle links opened in Chrome.
  • Have a proxy setup for Wi-Fi access? You can now use Chrome with the system proxy configured in Android settings.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Chrome for Android update

http://www.androidcentral.com/googl...ed-better-bookmarking-adds-switch-mobile-view

• You can now request the desktop version of a website, in case you would rather not view the mobile version.
  • You can now add bookmarks as shortcuts on your home screen, so you can get to your favorite sites faster.
  • Choose your favorite apps to handle links opened in Chrome.
  • Have a proxy setup for Wi-Fi access? You can now use Chrome with the system proxy configured in Android settings.

I like the sound of all of these things!

It also seems to have (mostly) caught up to desktop Chrome!

Desktop: 18.0.1025.162m
Android: 18.0.1025.133

Yay! I still wish it had its own auto-updater though, instead of relying on Play's.

Ashhong

Hey guys so earlier I got this popup when downloading a file that said like "What do you want to do with this file" and I pressed "always do this" and then pressed "Do Nothing" instead of "Launch Application". Now I can't even download the file..and I can't find the setting to reset that. Any ideas?

Izick

Hey guys so earlier I got this popup when downloading a file that said like "What do you want to do with this file" and I pressed "always do this" and then pressed "Do Nothing" instead of "Launch Application". Now I can't even download the file..and I can't find the setting to reset that. Any ideas?

Wrench--->Settings--->Under The Hood--->Should be like the 5th thing down

Ashhong

What options are there?

Sign in, On startup, Appearance, Search, Users, Default Browser, Privacy, Passwords and Forms, Web Content, Network, Languages, Downloads (only has download location as an option), HTTPS, Google Cloud Print, Background Apps.

Izick

Sign in, On startup, Appearance, Search, Users, Default Browser, Privacy, Passwords and Forms, Web Content, Network, Languages, Downloads (only has download location as an option), HTTPS, Google Cloud Print, Background Apps.

Fuck, sorry I don't know. I'm using stable, and I'm on Linux, so I'm not even sure if it's worth checking.

On a semi-related note: Why do they keep moving shit around and making it more complicated?

Ashhong

No worries. I haven't even gone into settings in a long time and was really confused at the absence of that Under The Hood tab as well. Don't know why they would take that out.

Futureman

Tiny gripe... but I wish when I pinned Google Music in Chrome it would show the headphones icon instead of the Google Play favicon. Any way around this?

Gaaraz

Is there anyway to easily disable the updates on Windows 7?

I'm using an R3610 as a HTPC which is mostly okay, but if Chrome decides to update (as if often does) when we're watching something in 720p or above it becomes utterly unwatchable

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
Is there anyway to easily disable the updates on Windows 7?

I'm using an R3610 as a HTPC which is mostly okay, but if Chrome decides to update (as if often does) when we're watching something in 720p or above it becomes utterly unwatchable

Unfortunately, no. You'd have to dive into Windows' system settings and disable the scheduled tasks that automatically check and update Chrome. Chrome may also run these checks while running itself.

On Windows I never use Chrome for flash videos, though. It uses slightly higher system resources since it's not tapping into hardware acceleration, as well as running one beta behind. Firefox is better for that.

Futureman

I was wondering if someone has a clue here...

here's a website I'm working on:

www.thesummer123.com

Whenever you click the accordion blocks and expand a different blog post, the youtube video from the previously expanded post sticks on the screen until you move the scroll bar.

This doesn't happen in Firefox, Safari, or IE9... only Chrome. Wondering why this happens?

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Has anyone else's Chrome suddenly started using laughably huge amounts of memory? Mine will, since a few days back, use up all my available RAM after running for a while. I'm not kidding. I have 4 GB of RAM in my laptop, and after running Chrome with just a couple of windows and tabs open for a few hours my memory usage will be at 98-99%, and my computer will grind to a halt due to all the paging that needs to happen. Closing all Chrome windows will instantly drop my memory usage down to 25-30% or so. That means Chrome alone grabs almost 3 GB of my RAM, which I think is completely ridiculous.

It seems like there's some sort of memory leak happening here, because the memory Chrome uses for certain tabs/pages will grow out of control after some time. I've seen it use close to 1 GB of memory for a single Facebook tab. That can't be normal.

I really need a solution to this, because Chrome has quickly become more or less useless for me.

Running the latest stable release (18.0.1025.168 m).

EDIT: Made some observations: Every time I reload a page or click a link to go to another page, the memory usage for that tab will increase by 20 MB or so. I can keep doing it and just watch the memory usage grow. No wonder it becomes so huge eventually.

EDIT2: Tried disabling some extensions, and it seems like Adblock Plus was the culprit. Weird, it has never done that before.

Spike

Is anyone else having problems Chrome today? I'm running the beta version 19.0.1084.41 beta-m.

Over the past few days I have noticed it working very slowly, and a lot of crashes. Today, it seems that nothing wants to load. No addons work, no pages load, no way to clear history, no way to backup my bookmarks. Nothing.

Everdred

Anyone notice that Smooth Gestures is gone? I'm using Chrome Gesture as a replacement but it doesn't incorporate the scroll wheel which I use constantly. Anyone know of a good replacement?

Chrome coming to iOS. Excellent.

According to a note published by Macquarie Equities Research, Google is working on an iPhone and iPad version of its Chrome browser, slated for launch sometime this year.
Macquarie suggests Google will launch Chrome as soon as the second quarter of this year and the mobile version will likely be as limited as other browsers on the iPhone. The assumption also comes with the idea that this might be the beginning of a new Browser Wars, this time on mobile. What do you think? Would you be interested in Chrome on iOS?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Here are reasons why I would be interested in Chrome for iOS:
- I like Chrome and prefer it to Safari.
- I would like the benefit of stuff synching between desktop and mobile.

Here are the reasons why I would not be interested in Chrome for iOS:
- Alternative browsers are a pain because you can't set them to be a default so any other app that triggers a website will open in Safari
- Apple isn't friendly with some of the private APIs it uses for Safari so there's no guarantee it'd have comparable speed for that reason alone.

- Alternative browsers are a pain because you can't set them to be a default so any other app that triggers a website will open in Safari
- Apple isn't friendly with some of the private APIs it uses for Safari so there's no guarantee it'd have comparable speed for that reason alone.

This really bugs me. I would love it if my NeoGAF icon launched right into Chrome.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
So uh my Chrome just updated to 19 (stable.) Looks like the Uber Page is live. =/

I don't really mind it, but I wish the tabs on the left were bigger and more clickable, and that settings wasn't all merged together. Ah well. At least the history page is finally, finally updated! Only took Google 3.5 years. :p

I have a feeling Apple is going to have to open up their web browsing APIs soon or face an Antitrust suite. Smartphones have become too big to ignore such monopolistic practices.

Igo

Is there any way for me to retrieve my bookmarks after they spontaneously disappeared? I actually watched them delete themselves in three large batches over the course of 5 minutes or so. I closed and reopened chrome to see if they would reappear without luck, which also meant the bookmarks file wrote over itself and chrome resynced with 0 bookmars.

Is it possible to roll back to previous sync states or anything like that?

SimleuqiR

Welp, Chrome 19 just hit my desktop. Now I get a huge empty scrollable space at the bottom of GAF (again). A few versions back I had this same issue. >_>

The tab syncing across all devices IS pretty BOSS!!

So uh my Chrome just updated to 19 (stable.) Looks like the Uber Page is live. =/

I don't really mind it, but I wish the tabs on the left were bigger and more clickable, and that settings wasn't all merged together. Ah well. At least the history page is finally, finally updated! Only took Google 3.5 years. :p

What is the "uber page"?

kehs

Banned
Welp, Chrome 19 just hit my desktop. Now I get a huge empty scrollable space at the bottom of GAF (again). A few versions back I had this same issue. >_>

The tab syncing across all devices IS pretty BOSS!!

What is the "uber page"?

History/extensions/settings all together on one page, switchable from the left.

I like it better than before.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
Is there any way for me to retrieve my bookmarks after they spontaneously disappeared? I actually watched them delete themselves in three large batches over the course of 5 minutes or so. I closed and reopened chrome to see if they would reappear without luck, which also meant the bookmarks file wrote over itself and chrome resynced with 0 bookmars.

Is it possible to roll back to previous sync states or anything like that?

see if you have a file called Bookmarks.bak in the Chrome folder

%localappdata%\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\

It's just a JSON file so you should be able to open it in a text editor (or just drag it into a new chrome tab). Take a look a see if it's got all your old bookmarks.

if it does delete the file Bookmarks and rename Bookmarks.bak to Bookmarks (no file extension)

Wow! They finally fixed it!
Chrome used to choke so bad on pages that had a lot of images but now it scrolls through it smoothly!

I remember someone that was using 19 beta mentioning it earlier in this thread but now I can finally see it with my own eyes.

...and just like that, one of the only advantages that Firefox had left has disappeared.

Top Bottom