• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Google Chrome |OT|

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Looks like fighting words between ChromeOS/Android.

joy.

More like Google is pushing the web to become more Android-like so in 100 years or whatever when they ditch Android, the web will be able to do all that Android did and more.

kehs

Banned
More like Google is pushing the web to become more Android-like so in 100 years or whatever when they ditch Android, the web will be able to do all that Android did and more.

It's gonna be a sad for you when they kill ChromeOS andrex.

A very sad day.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
From Ars Technica last month (stats from when 17 was the standard version of Chrome), but I only saw it a few days ago:
5ONBP.png

Is any picture more beautiful to a Web Developer's eyes?

Okay, now, to break your heart:
UPXyG.png

Sean

Banned
From Ars Technica last month (stats from when 17 was the standard version of Chrome), but I only saw it a few days ago:
5ONBP.png

How are so many people still using older versions of Chrome when it pretty much auto-updates itself without any user intervention? Shouldn't the vast majority be on version 18/19? Or am I reading the graph wrong.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
How are so many people still using older versions of Chrome when it pretty much auto-updates itself without any user intervention? Shouldn't the vast majority be on version 18/19? Or am I reading the graph wrong.

You are. The x-axis is time, meaning that 17 at the time controlled a vast majority of Chrome's market share.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man

<4% of people browsing the Internet are using Chrome versions before 17, which was current when that picture was taken.

Meanwhile 10% of Internet Traffic is still using IE6

Zeppu

<4% of people browsing the Internet are using Chrome versions before 17, which was current when that picture was taken.

Meanwhile 10% of Internet Traffic is still using IE6

I think his point is that the value should be much closer to 0, since, if left on it's own Chrome will stay up to date without any intervention.

I would guess it's mostly from usage in countries with slow internet speeds.

Just made Chrome my default yesterday after one too many Firefox crashes. It's awesome so far. Any recommend extensions, or is there a seperate thread for that?

AndyD

aka andydumi
Chrome 19 is much better on my dinosaur work laptop. Much better garbage collection or something. I can open a handful of GAF pages and not choke the PC with 500MB or more of memory usage (of the laptop's 1GB).

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Chrome 19 is much better on my dinosaur work laptop. Much better garbage collection or something. I can open a handful of GAF pages and not choke the PC with 500MB or more of memory usage (of the laptop's 1GB).

Yeah, it seems to be slightly more responsive to me even on my fast work computer.

Miscellaneous things about 19 I've noticed:

- New lighter, more 3D globe icon for pages that don't have favicons.
- New caret animation when using OpenSearch.

Hopefully the downloads page (Ctrl+J) will be integrated into the Uber Page when 20 hits. It's so ugly and out of place now (well, more than before.)

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Gotta say, I do like the animations on the Uber Page. In fact it's really quite good and I like how it's more consistent with the rest of Chrome (like the new tab page.) I just wish the left hand navigation was larger, or at least thicker and more clickable.

I think his point is that the value should be much closer to 0, since, if left on it's own Chrome will stay up to date without any intervention.

I would guess it's mostly from usage in countries with slow internet speeds.

Or some corporate environments. At my uni, there is an official way to install Chrome, but it's through hoops, and it doesn't update well/often. Grrahhhhhh

Derrick01

Banned
So is this new update the reason why some noise happens every time I start Chrome up now? It used to only happen when I went to gawker sites but now after re-setting it so gaf pops up first again it happens every time. Would like to know what that is or what's running that wasn't before.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Or some corporate environments. At my uni, there is an official way to install Chrome, but it's through hoops, and it doesn't update well/often. Grrahhhhhh

Chrome frame those bishes. You don't even need admin rights anymore.

It's not the real thing, but you're making your browsing experience a bit better (many times better, on some sites) and giving web devs like me a reason not to claw our eyes out when we see how many morons are still stuck on IE.

So is this new update the reason why some noise happens every time I start Chrome up now? It used to only happen when I went to gawker sites but now after re-setting it so gaf pops up first again it happens every time. Would like to know what that is or what's running that wasn't before.

What do you mean by "some noise?" Like, actual audio coming out of your speakers?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Gotta say, I do like the animations on the Uber Page. In fact it's really quite good and I like how it's more consistent with the rest of Chrome (like the new tab page.) I just wish the left hand navigation was larger, or at least thicker and more clickable.

The worst part about the LHS attributes is that they're profoundly unequal, and "Help" is even mislabeled. It doesn't bring you to "Help", it brings you to About/Copyright/Version. You then have to click a help button on that page to actuall go to anything that gives any help.

Meanwhile, very regular settings are hidden away under advanced settings on the right-hand pane of the Settings page, rather than keeping the existing General / Personal / Under the Hood division and putting those in the LHS navigation.

And you still can't automatically clear history beyond a particular point, which boggles me. I like history, so I want history turned on. I don't need history from two months ago and for privacy purposes I'd rather it clears after, say, 3 days. This is not difficult to implement or a UI challenge that would make it impossible to make stuff beautiful. I really don't get why they've chosen not to implement it. I don't think it's an unusual use case either, since every other browser has it.

The animations are pretty swag, though.

Derrick01

Banned
What do you mean by "some noise?" Like, actual audio coming out of your speakers?

I don't know how to describe it but it's the same noise java stuff always made when activating. Like I said I only usually heard it on Chrome when I went to gawker sites after their redesign but I never knew what was causing it, whether it was flash related or something similar. It doesn't cause any problems but it's kind of annoying.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
The worst part about the LHS attributes is that they're profoundly unequal, and "Help" is even mislabeled. It doesn't bring you to "Help", it brings you to About/Copyright/Version. You then have to click a help button on that page to actuall go to anything that gives any help.

Meanwhile, very regular settings are hidden away under advanced settings on the right-hand pane of the Settings page, rather than keeping the existing General / Personal / Under the Hood division and putting those in the LHS navigation.

And you still can't automatically clear history beyond a particular point, which boggles me. I like history, so I want history turned on. I don't need history from two months ago and for privacy purposes I'd rather it clears after, say, 3 days. This is not difficult to implement or a UI challenge that would make it impossible to make stuff beautiful. I really don't get why they've chosen not to implement it. I don't think it's an unusual use case either, since every other browser has it.

The animations are pretty swag, though.

I had the same misgivings when they merged the page and wrench menus, but it's gotten better and honestly I don't really change the settings so much that it'll be an issue. The good thing is that since all the settings are in one place (even with half of them below an expander) it makes it easier to direct people. Although you could also just tell them to search for it since Chrome's setting/history search is fricking awesome.

I don't know how to describe it but it's the same noise java stuff always made when activating. Like I said I only usually heard it on Chrome when I went to gawker sites after their redesign but I never knew what was causing it, whether it was flash related or something similar. It doesn't cause any problems but it's kind of annoying.

Java makes noise when it starts up?

Derrick01

Banned
Java makes noise when it starts up?

I thought it did but it's been a while since I used it. I know Norton makes the noise too when I bring up its main menu but I'm sure most people here aren't familiar with using that. As far as I can tell nothing bad is happening so it must be some background process going on. Whatever was in this latest Chrome update makes it happen every time I start up a new session though, no matter what site starts up first.

Derrick01

Banned
Think I figured it out. I'm pretty sure d3doverrider was doing it, I forgot that when I start up games that sound also happens to let me know it's working (to eliminate tearing without using vsync). It must work with chrome and norton too.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Best new feature of Chrome 19 I almost missed:

Opening folders in new tabs from the bookmarks bar doesn't give focus to any of those new tabs.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
does anyone know what the default font used in the new settings page is across the different operating systems?

on Windows 7 it's 'Segoe UI'. I'm just wondering because I'm updating an extension.

is OS X using Helvetica?

kehs

Banned
You're slacking Andrex:

Google Chrome has been long expected to leapfrog Microsoft’s Internet Explorer (IE) to take its position as the Web’s most used browser and, according to data from Statcounter, the momentous change of leadership happened last week.

The firm’s latest figures — spotted by Global Nerdy blogger Joey deVilla – show that Chrome’s line of usage creeped to overtake IE’s for the first week ever, with Firefox, Safari and Opera completing the top five respectively.

http://thenextweb.com/google/2012/0...ernet-explorer-as-the-webs-most-used-browser/

Ambitious

does anyone know what the default font used in the new settings page is across the different operating systems?

on Windows 7 it's 'Segoe UI'. I'm just wondering because I'm updating an extension.

is OS X using Helvetica?

No, it's Lucida Grande.
As the settings page is just a normal html page, you can use the web inspector (right click -> inspect element) to see the font and all other properties.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
No, it's Lucida Grande.
As the settings page is just a normal html page, you can use the web inspector (right click -> inspect element) to see the font and all other properties.

yeah, but the font-family used on my version (Win 7) is

'Segoe UI', Tahoma, sans-serif

I'm assuming they do something that makes the included styles platform specific.

anyway, thanks for the info.

kehs

Banned
yeah, but the font-family used on my version (Win 7) is

I'm assuming they do something that makes the included styles platform specific.

anyway, thanks for the info.

It's done preferential through HTML, so if it finds Segoui, it'll use it, then move to tahoma, and then finally to any sans-serif on the system. At that point the OS, or user can set whatever sans serif it wants through settings.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
I think I'm looking for something that doesn't exist then if it's just falling back to the default sans-serif font on OS X.

I thought it would be set in the CSS like it is on Windows. Thanks for the help anyway.

Top Bottom