• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Google Chrome |OT|

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
The new bigger "new tab" button on version 20 feels weird.

That is kinda weird, but hey, probably better for usability and we'll all be used to it soon enough. Ever since they took the + off it I've felt it was too small, actually.

Jzero

I like how the buttons look when you hover over them though. Also for some reason the browser itself looks a bit sharper.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Someone want to post a screenshot on the new "New Tab" button? Just curious to see what it looks like.

It's a bit wider. I'll have to take a screeny when I get home (using Ubuntu at work, and Linux doesn't have a version of Canary...)

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
Someone want to post a screenshot on the new "New Tab" button? Just curious to see what it looks like.

this?

pkcr0.png

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
Thanks, Danger. It does look weird, but I'll get used to it.

I didn't even notice it if I'm honest. It appears the whole UI has been tweaked a little in the latest dev build (I don't know if it's filtered down to the beta yet). Everything is little straighter and the icons have a nice letterpress look to them (this could've happened months ago, I only noticed it recently).

I have the same issue. Forgot I switched to Firefox because of it. Switched back to Chrome today and my memory use went from 40% to 75%... Same tabs open in each.

Why should the amount of memory being used matter? It boils down to how well the browser manages/releases memory when required by other applications.

jokkir

Chrome is telling me I have an error for one of my extensions but when I open Chrome up and check, it doesn't indicate which extensions has the error. Anyone know how I can tell which extension is giving me problems? >__>

kehs

Banned
Why should the amount of memory being used matter? It boils down to how well the browser manages/releases memory when required by other applications.

If your not running any other program that's memory aggressive its not too big a deal. I run into a bit of a hassle jumping between AI, PS, and Chrome. I end up just shutting down chrome to alleviate it.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Chrome is telling me I have an error for one of my extensions but when I open Chrome up and check, it doesn't indicate which extensions has the error. Anyone know how I can tell which extension is giving me problems? >__>

It usually does say. For me it's usually AdBlock.

clav

Anyone notice Flash 11.3 plug-in for Chrome is highly unstable?

I have to revert to the PepperFlash (currently 11.2) to stop the freezing.

I wonder if this is a problem with the beta channel of Chrome.

Yea I am using stable chrome and the last 2 updates have caused a lot of crashes with flash and just general problems, I hope they fix it soon, its annoying.

clav

Reverted back to 11.3 because PepperFlash has some sync issues.

Yea I am using stable chrome and the last 2 updates have caused a lot of crashes with flash and just general problems, I hope they fix it soon, its annoying.

Thanks for sharing that. I guess I'll just wait then. I'm having trouble with other browsers that use Flash on the same sites, so it's definitely just Adobe screwing up here.

In some sense, the Chromebooks have forced Adobe to improve Flash on Linux. Hopefully, Google has that same power to improve the plug-in overall.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
You guys know of any extension that can convert Youtube videos to use the native HTML5 player? I don't want to use Youtube's HTML5 player. I want Chrome's:

NS7hy.png

Something like this extension for Safari, which converts Flash video content to use Safari's HTML5 player: http://hoyois.github.com/safariextensions/clicktoplugin/

not sure if this is what you want but I wrote a user script for myself a while ago that did this.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/18773447/YouTubeHTML5.user.js

It adds a little HTML5 button under the video and swaps the Flash video with the MP4/WebM version (I use it for downloading).

2yrHw.png

I'm not sure how well it will work for you.

It parses the flash embed object so you may need to turn YouTube's HTML5 player off before you use it.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Dude you should make that a Chrome extension so I can sync it between all my computers. :O

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
Dude you should make that a Chrome extension so I can sync it between all my computers. :O

manifest.js

Code:
{
    "name": "YouTube HTML5",
    "version": "1.0",
    "content_scripts": [{
        "matches": ["http://*.youtube.com/watch?*", "https://*.youtube.com/watch?*"],
        "js": ["YouTubeHTML5.js"]
    }]
}

feel free to publish it or do whatever you want with it. I don't want the responsibility of fixing bugs ;)

giga

not sure if this is what you want but I wrote a user script for myself a while ago that did this.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/18773447/YouTubeHTML5.user.js

It adds a little HTML5 button under the video and swaps the Flash video with the MP4/WebM version (I use it for downloading).

2yrHw.png

I'm not sure how well it will work for you.

It parses the flash embed object so you may need to turn YouTube's HTML5 player off before you use it.
Awesome dude, thanks. This is the closest so far.

If anyone could make a preference to choose which resolution/file you want to swap by default, then it'd be perfect. Otherwise, I can handle two clicks to swap out the Flash video.

kehs

Banned
It really does seem to skirt the Google TV line perhaps a bit too close, closer than normal Android and Chrome OS anyways.

I'm really amused by the ChromeOS/Android war, (that I imagine happening at their campuses) when new products are released that are similar.

Shiiiiit! I want that form factor for the Google TV though.
I'm pretty happy with my Mac-Mini (HTPC), but I wouldn't mind moving to an Android based HTPC - the guys at XBMC need to port it over stat.

Boom.

CES-2012-Vizio-Outs-Google-TV-Set-Top-Box-and-Blu-ray-Player.jpg

(This is my next android purchase)

gcubed

I'm really amused by the ChromeOS/Android war, (that I imagine happening at their campuses) when new products are released that are similar.

Boom.

CES-2012-Vizio-Outs-Google-TV-Set-Top-Box-and-Blu-ray-Player.jpg

(This is my next android purchase)

yeah, thats pure vaporware to me at this point. When the hell is it releasing.

Izick

Does anyone know why my video's audio always speeds up when I try to use that HTML 5 script? I'm on Ubuntu/Linux by the way.

Top Bottom