• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Google Chrome |OT|

SimleuqiR

Andrex, what say you about this?

http://code.google.com/p/google-blockly/

sample.png

First, go here and do this:

w3sucks.png

Sites you'll want to look into:

Can I ask a serious question? Why do you dislike W3Schools? I've been using it and recommending it to people that's just starting to program, or that want a guide for dummies so they can learn easier. And as far as I knew, they appealed to all standards based on W3C, or am I wrong?

The thing is, why you have banned W3Schools? Personal or Technical reasons? It's just for knowledge in general that I wan't to find out!

Zeppu

Something something this site http://w3fools.com/

I still like w3schools. Some stuff is wrong but nothing an extra google search or an quick test won't show immediately.

Then again I use it mostly for reference.

Somnid

Basically people pass around that wc3fools link like it's some sort of authority. Mostly it's just not open/wiki and it always appears near the top of a search and open source web devs hate that. There are no major problems with WC3schools and it's a nice clean resource for object and function documentation.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
W3Schools is OK, it's just the site is kind of slimey and is at the top for ALL web dev stuff regardless of whether it should be just because it's SEO'd to hell. MDN is a much better resource in just about every way too, there's no reason not to use it except it's not at the top of searches. That's why I suggested you block W3Schools from Google. Maybe if enough people do it they'll have to compete on content rather than slimey SEO tactics.

Also I hate W3Schools' face design.

I just did a clean Windows 7 install on my computer and installed Chrome again. Now, everytime I go to a search box, I see this shit:

lTVMt.png

How the fuck do I disable that? It says SuggestionTool.org

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Doesn't seem like it was a clean enough install. Either that or one of the other programs you installed was bundled with spyware.

Gattsu25

Banned
After a few solid years of dedicated Chrome use I've migrated back to Firefox

Chrome has become a fucking resource hog and simply scrolling through GAF pages can bring on the stutters.

W3Schools is OK, it's just the site is kind of slimey and is at the top for ALL web dev stuff regardless of whether it should be just because it's SEO'd to hell. MDN is a much better resource in just about every way too, there's no reason not to use it except it's not at the top of searches. That's why I suggested you block W3Schools from Google. Maybe if enough people do it they'll have to compete on content rather than slimey SEO tactics.

Also I hate W3Schools' face design.
I visited W3Schools during my lunch breaks to start learning SQL and it was a Godsend.

It doesn't appear to be that useful for HTML5, though.

After a few solid years of dedicated Chrome use I've migrated back to Firefox

Chrome has become a fucking resource hog and simply scrolling through GAF pages can bring on the stutters.

Huh. That's weird. Never happened to me.

Edit: that youtube extension didn't work for me :/

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
Is there an extension which disables all GIFS and Images while browsing unless I click on them or enable them?

Not that I'm aware of. You can disable images in Chrome but they don't have a kinda 'click to play' options like they do for plugins.

I imagine it could be done now Chrome's WebRequest API is out of beta. I might look into this.

Firehead

Anyone know if there are there any decent browser history viewers? Would like one that has similar functionality Firefox's. And are there any download managers similar to DownThemAll for Chrome?

http://www.theverge.com/2012/6/17/3093178/mozilla-junior-ipad-web-browser

And if just one new competitor to Safari isn't enough to get you excited, Limi seems to strongly believe that Google is working on bringing Chrome to iOS "soon"

Exact quote:

Mozilla guy said:
... We wanted a browser for iPad. For many reasons. It's a platform where we don't have anything anything useful right now. For iOS in general. Chrome's going to ship Chrome for iOS very soon. ...

Oh Andrex, so naive.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
Now that somebody else bumped the thread: anyone there to help me? :/

what doesn't work? Do you mean it won't install or it doesn't work when you browse a thread with a youtube link?

is there a way to hide the url adress bar in the same way that old canary build could?

I'm pretty sure they removed that option. The flags are there for the Chrome devs to experiment and sometimes things just don't make the cut.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
Does anyone else have problems with Chrome using 100% of the CPU at random intervals?

this is what it looks like

It just spikes for hours sometimes and I have no idea what it's doing. There's no extensions, no plugins and no tabs open.

Yen

Does anyone else have problems with Chrome using 100% of the CPU at random intervals?

It just spikes for hours sometimes and I have no idea what it's doing. There's no extensions, no plugins and no tabs open.

I often have the same problem.

Ambitious

I accidentally messed up my search engines in Chrome. Could someone copy-paste me the URL of the default Google search in the Chrome settings (Settings -> Manage search engines)? I remember it being not a http URL, but something between curly braces.

Enco

I accidentally messed up my search engines in Chrome. Could someone copy-paste me the URL of the default Google search in the Chrome settings (Settings -> Manage search engines)? I remember it being not a http URL, but something between curly braces.
{google:baseURL}search?{google:RLZ}{google:acceptedSuggestion}{google:eek:riginalQueryForSuggestion}{google:searchFieldtrialParameter}{google:instantFieldTrialGroupParameter}sourceid=chrome&ie={inputEncoding}&q=%s

That's what I have (UK).

Why not just right click on the Google search and click 'Add as search engine'?

Ambitious

{google:baseURL}search?{google:RLZ}{google:acceptedSuggestion}{google:eek:riginalQueryForSuggestion}{google:searchFieldtrialParameter}{google:instantFieldTrialGroupParameter}sourceid=chrome&ie={inputEncoding}&q=%s

That's what I have (UK).

Thanks!

That's what I did, but it then uses the normal http url and search suggestions seem to not work with it. Though they still don't work for me with the string you posted.. guess I'll just install Chrome on another user account and pull the default settings from there.

edit: Got it. There's a separate field for the search suggestions which is not available via the Settings page. Just had to fill that in.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
The native video player got a new UI in the dev channel

You can now make videos full screen and the UI goes away after a few seconds like it should.

works great with my youtube extension. Saves me having to figure this stuff out.

kV2Wm.png

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Looks awesome. Was using the audio player today and remarked how old and creaky the UI was...

Utako

Banned
I think a separate thread for Chrome Stable release announcements would be cool, keeping extension talk and such in here. Who seconds this?

The native video player got a new UI in the dev channel

You can now make videos full screen and the UI goes away after a few seconds like it should.

works great with my youtube extension. Saves me having to figure this stuff out.

kV2Wm.png
:O

Finally! :D :D

I can't believe I never knew about this.

dzaMA.png

Why are you so certain it's Chrome? A more appropriate place to look would be in your "Processes" tab. Also, you can check Wrench > Tools > Task Manager and see exactly how Chrome is using your CPU.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I think a separate thread for Chrome Stable release announcements would be cool, keeping extension talk and such in here. Who seconds this?

Nah. If anything I'd spin extensions/apps into its own thread.

Don't think that's necessary yet though.

kehs

Banned
I'm so disappointed that I'll probably never use Chrome on android since the chances of then using quick controls are so slim.

Mouse gestures and quick controls are keeping me from fully integrating into Chrome.

Top Bottom