• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Google Chrome |OT|

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
Why are you so certain it's Chrome? A more appropriate place to look would be in your "Processes" tab. Also, you can check Wrench > Tools > Task Manager and see exactly how Chrome is using your CPU.

It is Chrome, I can see it in the process tab and resource center.

When it gets like this I can't do anything with Chrome as the whole UI locks up and I can't click anything (but it doesn't crash like a normal windows program, it just doesn't do anything. I can't open the task manager menu and even if it is open I can't click it because it's just frozen in time like somebody replaced it with a jpeg)

I can't seem to figure out why it's doing it. It's been ok today so maybe it's just some weird bug that happens now and then in the dev channel? I don't know.

Tokubetsu

The native video player got a new UI in the dev channel

You can now make videos full screen and the UI goes away after a few seconds like it should.

works great with my youtube extension. Saves me having to figure this stuff out.

kV2Wm.png

That does look great. Too bad I went back to stable a couple months ago...

kehs

Banned
I'm not sure when this happened, but Chrome started accepting tabs from Opera.

Like dragging a tab from Opera over to the Chrome window will open up the site.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Just noticed the Google Docs app finally updated to Google Drive (and has a background service... prepping for offline?) Nice surprise.

Futureman

anyone having the issue where a page will load and then the whole page will turn white and you can't see anything?

Also having an issue where making a video fullscreen just gives a blank black screen but you still hear the audio.

both go away after quitting and restarting.

both of these issues are annoying enough that I'm honestly thinking of switching from Chrome.

OS X 10.7.4 and Chrome 19.0.1084.56.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
anyone having the issue where a page will load and then the whole page will turn white and you can't see anything?

Also having an issue where making a video fullscreen just gives a blank black screen but you still hear the audio.

both go away after quitting and restarting.

both of these issues are annoying enough that I'm honestly thinking of switching from Chrome.

OS X 10.7.4 and Chrome 19.0.1084.56.

This happened to me for a long time where the page would turn white and I'd have to pick another tab and then come back for it to actually load.

I'm currently on Windows and I'm using the dev channel and the problem fixed itself a while ago.

maybe try updating to the beta or dev channel and see if that fixes the problem for you.

jokkir

Can someone help me with this extension. I'm trying to make it so that a popup box lets you input something and let you search a site but when I click the popup box, it no text box appears. Here's my code so far:

searchbox.js
Code:
//variables
var url = "siteurl";

//Checks to see if user wants to use the searchbox-->

//initializer-->
function init(){
  $("search_text").focus();
  $("search_text").addEventListener("keyup", search_input, false);
  $("search_button").addEventListener("click", search_start, false);
}

function search_input(e){
 if(e.keyCode == 13){ //Checks to see if the ENTER/RETURN button was pressed-->
  search_start();
 }
}

//Does the search-->
function search_start(){
  var text_type = $("search_text").value;
  chrome.tabs.create({url: url + text_type})
}

searchbox.html
Code:
<!DOCTYPE>
<html>
<head>
 <!--<link rel="stylesheet" href="css/style.css" >-->
 <script type="text/javascript" src="js/jquery-1.7.2.min.js"></script>
 <script type="text/javascript" src="js/searchbox.js"></script>
</head>
<body onLoad="init()">
 <div id="container">
  <div id="search_box">
   <input type="text" id="search_text" value="" maxlength="55">
   <button id="search_button" onclick="search_start()">Search</button><br/>
   You can disable this search box via extensions menu
  </div> <!-- End of search_box div -->
 </div> <!-- End of container div -->
</body>
</html>

popup.html
Code:
<iframe src="ud_search_popup.html" id="fFrame" width="350" height="60" frameborder="0" scrolling="no"/>

This is what I get when trying to click the popup box:
hAAXI.png

At first, I tried merging the html file and the javascript tags enclosed with <script> tags and then separated it after to what it is now.

Sorry, I'm still a major noob with html/css/javascript >__<

Thanks!

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Still got the problem with Chrome using so much more memory than anything else on my computer. It will happily use 2-3 GB of my 4 GB, and sometimes a single tab will use 500 MB - 1 GB. Very, very annoying. I have to shut it down if I want to do anything else that requires a bit of memory.

Somnid

Can someone help me with this extension. I'm trying to make it so that a popup box lets you input something and let you search a site but when I click the popup box, it no text box appears. Here's my code so far:

At first, I tried merging the html file and the javascript tags enclosed with <script> tags and then separated it after to what it is now.

Sorry, I'm still a major noob with html/css/javascript >__<

Thanks!

Forgot the '#' in front of your jquery selectors. I do this every once in a while and lose an hour over it.

Y'know... a lot of times, Chrome doesn;t sync my bookmarks. Happens often when I use another computer that I haven't used in a while. Logging in / out sometimes does it, but usually not. I've had this comp booted up for 8 hours and it's still got the crusty old bookmarks from ~6 months ago.

jokkir

Forgot the '#' in front of your jquery selectors. I do this every once in a while and lose an hour over it.

Ah thanks fixed it although it was because I put the wrong html link on the ud_search_popup.html file -__-

Now to fix the problem of when I click enter or click on the "search" button, it doesn't do anything.

This update to Chrome Beta for Android says that Android Beam is now supported to send over URLs via NFC. However yesterday I tried it with 2 Galaxy Nexi and it sent me to the Play Store for Chrome Beta (both phones already had it). Anyone try it? Is there a hidden setting somewhere I have to change?

EDIT: Welp, it just worked correctly. I guess the one time it didn't was a freak accident.

Majine

Banned
Anyone else using the Neogaf pro theme on Stylish in Chrome? It doesn't quite show correctly. Works 100% in other browsers, just not in chrome ;(

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
err, so anyone using that youtube extension I made, are your videos upside down?

edit: ok, nvm. using the flag "Enable hardware-accelerated video decode" for some reason turns videos upside down. what a weird bug.

Reckoner

Google Chrome for Mac here. Am I the only one who has to wait a couple seconds, maybe even minutes, so it starts loading the pages after opening the app for the first time? It didn't happen before, only started recently...

MedIC86

I have a question about Chrome. I always used firefox but i want to make the transition to Chrome. But i was wondering is it possible to have the same privacy settings as in firefox. in firefox i can make the settings that it doesnt save anything, history or whatever. is that possible in Chrome? because when i tried it a few months back it wasnt.

Zeppu

I have a question about Chrome. I always used firefox but i want to make the transition to Chrome. But i was wondering is it possible to have the same privacy settings as in firefox. in firefox i can make the settings that it doesnt save anything, history or whatever. is that possible in Chrome? because when i tried it a few months back it wasnt.

Nah that's been there forever.

Settings > Show advanced settings > 'Content Settings...' under Privacy.

PaulLFC

Google Chrome for Mac here. Am I the only one who has to wait a couple seconds, maybe even minutes, so it starts loading the pages after opening the app for the first time? It didn't happen before, only started recently...
No, that happens to me on PC. I think it's either lots of extensions to load, or just the fact that my PC is quite slow lately. Need to free up some space.

Zeppu

No, that happens to me on PC. I think it's either lots of extensions to load, or just the fact that my PC is quite slow lately. Need to free up some space.

I think it's extensions. Try opening an Incognito window and you'll see how quickly it loads.

Anybody else been having the old GAF bug with Chrome where if you click the "First New Post" bubble it takes you to an older post? I've been having this problem ever since they experimented with the font change.

Enco

So a bigger New Tab button and a more squared highlight over bookmarks?

No other visible changes that I've noticed.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
Anyone else getting this

if5ZXeUM0Uclq.png

when they open Chrome?

Doesn't seem to have effected anything except auto complete is off now, but I would like to fix it since it's annoying to see.

Sean

Banned
Another way to fix it is by switching the default search engine to Bing. [/troll]

Hopefully Google rolls out a quick fix.

Anyone else getting this

if5ZXeUM0Uclq.png

when they open Chrome?

Doesn't seem to have effected anything except auto complete is off now, but I would like to fix it since it's annoying to see.

Yes, I don't even know what profile it's referring to? Everything seems to work fine on my end aside from the annoying prompt

DonMigs85

Grrr, having problems with Omnibox searches now, they always come up blank.
EDIT: I'll wait for a proper fix. Instant isn't even on for me.

clav

Grrr, having problems with Omnibox searches now, they always come up blank.
EDIT: I'll wait for a proper fix. Instant isn't even on for me.

Alternatively, you could add your own search engine and label that as Google. Default it. That should be an unofficial workaround without messing with the instant settings.

Go to your settings (wrench -> settings) -> [Manage Search Engines] -> Scroll to the bottom of the list to add

Code:
https://www.google.com/search?q=%s

Label that as Google and make as default.

Top Bottom