• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Google Chrome |OT|

goodfella

What's to stop people just copying an extension, and releasing it without ads?

Also, people could copy an otherwise ad-less extension and insert ads, scraping some money together.

Does anyone else have this problem? I'll start typing a url in the omnibox, scroll down and select the completed url I want, but instead of taking me to the site it does a google search for the url and takes me to the results page.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Does anyone else have this problem? I'll start typing a url in the omnibox, scroll down and select the completed url I want, but instead of taking me to the site it does a google search for the url and takes me to the results page.

Look at the icon to the left of the URL. If it's a magnifying glass, it will search using that URL. If it's a globe, it will go to that URL.

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
What's to stop people just copying an extension, and releasing it without ads?

Also, people could copy an otherwise ad-less extension and insert ads, scraping some money together.

As far as I know, extensions that replace ads on pages are not allowed on the store. A few months back someone hacked an open-sourced smooth-scrolling extension that was later found to covertly inserted/replaced ads in youtube video and yahoo pages. After it was reported by several users Google pulled it from the store.

clav

Just have to say Chrome with built-in print to PDF file format is handy.

No extensions required.

No more messy system add-ons.

Jzero

it seems that the bug where [the name of a bookmark gets stuck in the middle of the screen until you hover over it] is back

Oh btw it seems that the Metro version of chrome just downloaded for me automatically.

or maybe it's been there for a while and never noticed. >.>

Ambitious

Do you know of a Chrome extension that replaces YouTube links with the embedded video? I can't find one.. I'm currently having a look at the Chrome Extension API, maybe I'll write it myself.

edit: Done. Will refine and deploy it tomorrow or the day after tomorrow if anyone's interested.

LuchaShaq

Banned
Unfortunately the threads related to chromebooks seem dead, anyone still using one? I need a new laptop that is basically a web browsing/google doc/netflix/giant bomb video machine and not much else. Will be connected online 99% of the time anyways.

Audioboxer

The 2012 version of Disqus comments is giving me problems in Chrome, had to revert to old style (tried clearing all browser data/turning off all extensions).

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
So anyone else having issues with videos (from any site) having what I show below happen, and also locking up and crashing flash player? Any ideas? Happens on Youtube, GameTrailers, and other sites.

Capture.PNG

Tess3ract

Banned
Do you know of a Chrome extension that replaces YouTube links with the embedded video? I can't find one.. I'm currently having a look at the Chrome Extension API, maybe I'll write it myself.

edit: Done. Will refine and deploy it tomorrow or the day after tomorrow if anyone's interested.
there isn't one, there are greasemonkey style scripts on a website per website basis though

So anyone else having issues with videos (from any site) having what I show below happen, and also locking up and crashing flash player? Any ideas? Happens on Youtube, GameTrailers, and other sites.

Update your graphics card drivers, or restart your computer

jas0

Neo Member
Unfortunately the threads related to chromebooks seem dead, anyone still using one? I need a new laptop that is basically a web browsing/google doc/netflix/giant bomb video machine and not much else. Will be connected online 99% of the time anyways.

Yes, I've been using the Samsung Series 5 Chromebook since it was released. The new window management helped make the OS feel more than just a browser. All my extension installs are synced up among my Mac Chrome installs. I now use The built in tab sync so I can open tabs on any of the signed in Chrome browsers, including mobile Chrome.

On the Dev/unstable channel Google Drive sync to the File Manager is enabled (don't know if it's on Stable yet, you may have to turn on Offline support like Google Drive in the browser). Google docs/drive also has offline editing finally enabled.

Here's a tip article.
http://gigaom.com/mobile/10-google-chromebook-tips-tricks-and-tweaks/

The new Chromebooks are a definite hardware improvement. I can see the memory limitations of mine with too many tabs open. I originally bought it as a travel machine for the free one year monthly 150MB Verzion 3G.

If you're ok with dropping $350-500 for the convenience and the form factor it should meet your "web browsing/google doc/netflix/giant bomb video machine" needs. The new one can even run the Chrome version of Bastion.

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning

PaulLFC

I don't understand... today, Chrome randomly stopped playing sound out of my speakers (5.1 system connected via HDMI). It still plays sound through headphones fine - but all other programs - Firefox, iTunes, Windows system sounds, etc - all play fine through the speakers.

It was Chrome 21 (beta) that started the problem today, so I've just downgraded to Stable, and that has the same problem. It was working absolutely fine until today, and now it just refuses to play sound.

Even weirder, I've just tested Chrome Canary, and that's playing sound fine. I could upgrade to dev and see if that fixes it, but that's generally the most unstable version of the three, so I don't really want to do that.

Does anyone have any ideas what I can do?

Jzero

I don't understand... today, Chrome randomly stopped playing sound out of my speakers (5.1 system connected via HDMI). It still plays sound through headphones fine - but all other programs - Firefox, iTunes, Windows system sounds, etc - all play fine through the speakers.

It was Chrome 21 (beta) that started the problem today, so I've just downgraded to Stable, and that has the same problem. It was working absolutely fine until today, and now it just refuses to play sound.

Even weirder, I've just tested Chrome Canary, and that's playing sound fine. I could upgrade to dev and see if that fixes it, but that's generally the most unstable version of the three, so I don't really want to do that.

Does anyone have any ideas what I can do?
a lot of people seem to be having the same problem, you're probably just going to have to wait until the next update.

http://googlechromereleases.blogspot.com/

NZer

Chrome has started taking a couple of seconds to startup these days, rather than basically instantaneous. Is it more likely to be some sort of bookmark syncing or extensions? Gah

strafer

Chrome has been acting really weird lately.

Was watching a video on Youtube when suddenly flash broke, it's been doing that for some time now.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I have this weird bug where when I log into abload.de to upload images I can log in, but then I can't actually click the link which brings up explorer to upload images. If I go to FF it works perfectly fine though.

Chrome has been acting really weird lately.

Was watching a video on Youtube when suddenly flash broke, it's been doing that for some time now.

I've had flash crash a lot on me too lately running the Dev Channel

In general ever since about Chrome idk 21 I've just seen iffy performance.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Letting you guys know on the dev channel you can't install extensions outside of the store now.

No user scripts :(

You can, but not the normal way. You just have to download the file now and then open your extensions tab then drag and drop the file to your extensions tab and it'll let you side load.

Futureman

is there any kind of quick controls functionality for Google Music w/ Chrome? Like I'm working in Photoshop and need to pause... anyway for my Mac keyboard to control that? or some kind of widget or something????!

Orayn

So, uh, sorry if this gets asked often, but what's GAF's favorite smooth scrolling extension? I don't need any fancy visuals, just no more tearing.

goodfella

Anyone notice how terrible the chrome spell correction is?

It doesn't even recognise common words! If i misspell a word into Google, it will always come back with the right spelling for the suggestion. Why can't they leverage that somehow, or at least use a competent dictionary?

Also, this may or may not be chrome related, but has anyone noticed that youtube videos are not streaming as nicely as usual lately?

Not only do they load much slower for me, but I can't leave them to load while paused anymore.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
Anyone notice how terrible the chrome spell correction is?

It doesn't even recognise common words! If i misspell a word into Google, it will always come back with the right spelling for the suggestion. Why can't they leverage that somehow, or at least use a competent dictionary?

this is available in the dev channel.

It was under the "Enable Asynchronous Spellchecking" flag for a long time but now it's under "Disable Asynchronous Spellchecking" so I'm guessing it's close to release.

I think it use Google's "did you mean?" feature since the corrections are much much better than they used to be.

depending on what channel you're on, type about:flags into the address bar and see if there's a flag you can enable/disable

So, uh, sorry if this gets asked often, but what's GAF's favorite smooth scrolling extension? I don't need any fancy visuals, just no more tearing.

there's a flag for that as well

Smooth Scrolling Windows, Linux, Chrome OS
Enable the experimental smooth scrolling implementation.

Is there any way to transfer passwords etc from Firefox to Chrome? I'm keen to shift (especially as the Firefox Android app is garbage), but not so keen at having to remember all the more obscure site logins. Similarly do passwords on desktop sync across to mobile?

Ambitious

Is there any word of when the Retina display support will be available in the stable version? Or in general, how long does it usually take for Canary build features to be released on the stable channel?

Top Bottom