• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Google Chrome |OT|

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Actually I believe all apps use the previous, slower js engine simply so they can't compete with Safari.
Hopefully they'll eventually be sued into allowing other developers to at least use Safari's fast JS engine. And if we're lucky, set up a "default programs" section in Settings.

Peterthumpa

So I've uninstalled and reinstalled chrome and done the same with flash.

Yet nearly every youtube video I go to doesn't have sound and freezes up 11 seconds in. It's so frustrating has anyone experienced this and found a resolution to the issue?

Yes, Chrome is fucked up for a lot of people with the few lat updates.

Go to: chrome://plugins/, look for the Flash plugin. There should be a "+ details" button, click on it and disable one of the Flash plugins. Reopen Chrome and see if it helps.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Yes, Chrome is fucked up for a lot of people with the few lat updates.

Go to: chrome://plugins/, look for the Flash plugin. There should be a "+ details" button, click on it and disable one of the Flash plugins. Reopen Chrome and see if it helps.

OMG I love you!! Working so far.

kehs

Banned
Flash has long been the enemy of web browsers and users alike thanks to security and stability issues, but the plug-in should be less of an issue now for Chrome users on Windows, according to Google. Chrome already includes a built-in, automatically updated version of Flash, but the Chrome and Adobe teams have now ported the plug-in to use the browser's sandboxing platform after two years of work. The plug-in is now thoroughly modernized, and can take advantage of current technologies like GPU acceleration. What this all means is that Flash in Chrome for Windows is more secure now that it's in a stronger sandbox, and it's more stable: Google says it's decreased crashes by 20 percent.

Additionally, the new version of Flash in Chrome allows the plug-in to be sandboxed even on Windows XP machines —something that was previously unavailable — and it also enables Flash support in Windows 8 Metro mode. If that weren't enough, with the GPU now able to help Flash, rendering should be faster and scrolling smoother. If you've got a Windows machine it's likely you're already experiencing the benefits — they were included in the latest stable Chrome release from last week — and hopefully you won't need to disable plug-ins to get a usable browsing experience any more. For those not using Microsoft's OS, a similar update is in the works for Macs, while Linux and Chrome OS users are already using the new system.

http://www.theverge.com/2012/8/8/3228418/google-chrome-windows-improved-adobe-flash-support

Flash built into Android Chrome is probably right around the corner.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
I switched from FF to Chrome and I'm pretty happy. Browsing GAF seems faster and I like the extensions like quick reply, live thread (godsend for the Olympics thread!), user highlighter, etc.

What I don't like however, is how Chrome selects text, like here. Is there any way to only make the text turn blue and not the blank areas? Pretty minor issue, but I really don't like how it looks.

For quoted images : in FF you could get (and keep) full size by just dragging the image a bit. Here the only option seems to be clicking and using the arrow keys. No way to easily toggle full size it seems...

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Chrome and Firefox use totally different rendering engines. The selection box works differently depending on who is coding the engine. Chrome uses webkit which is what most browsers use now except Firefox, Opera and IE. You'll have to get used to it.

Mrg8523-

Does anybody else have problems with NeoGaf pages freezing in Chrome due to pictures? A random picture will make the whole tab and sometimes other tabs that have NeoGaf open freeze. This has been happening to me for over year now on multiple computers. If I open the same page in any other browser, it loads just fine. This has never happened on any other site, only this one.

Izick

Flash has been dogshit for me lately. I have the latest version of Flash, and running Windows 8. Not sure why all the sudden it decided to take such a turn for the worse. Not just in Chrome, but in Firefox as well.

Anyone else on the stable build get memory leaks only on Neogaf? After half a hour or more my chrome tab will just run slow as hell and when I go to the task manager I see the chrome tab at 1gb memory usage, I have to manually shut it down every time, so annoying.

I think I've had it with Firefox.

Last few days I'm not sure what's changed, but it's constantly spiking to 50+% memory usage, and just chugging in general.

Does Chrome have stuff like Adblock (Not using it on GAF), NoScript, and Multirow Bookmarks Toolbar available for it?

The last update really screwed things up. Flash has been giving me a lot more trouble and there have been graphical glitches too. It seems like 50% of the time when I switch tabs it shows me the wrong one.

Izick

The last update really screwed things up. Flash has been giving me a lot more trouble and there have been graphical glitches too. It seems like 50% of the time when I switch tabs it shows me the wrong one.

Yeah, Flash has been shitting the bed all around for me lately; Chrome Flash and regular flash.

Just updated Chrome and the only issues I'm getting is that fonts aren't rendering properly on some websites, such as Eurogamer and Idle Thumbs.

Jzero

You had doubt?

I mean, it's totally gimped, but Chrome in any form is better than everything else pretty much by default.
I didn't know Chrome was even on iOS, i just found out because i was repairing a friends iPod and i saw it in the app store and tried it out :p

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Does anyone know if there's a way to disable browser sounds in Chrome? I don't want to disable audio for Chrome completely, just the noises the browser itself makes, such as the so-very-annoying alert that plays when you search in a page but don't get a hit.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Has anyone else had issues with PDF files? They crash the browser every time I click on a link that is a PDF file.

Also, ESPN now defaults to the mobile page when using chrome. Those two issues combined are enough that I switched back to Firefox. And my goodness, I can't believe how much slower every other browser is. I was planning to switch back to Firefox full time but I just can't. I hope they fix these issues im having soon, every other browser just seems painfully slow by comparison when starting up and when loading pages. I get an image and text almost immediately on chrome, every other browser there is always a delay. Plus I had a lockup already on FF. Its like going back in time. I don't know what voodoo magic google uses.

Jzero

Google is so lame, i barely noticed we can't install scripts from other websites anymore.
LLShC.gif

sca2511

Switched over the Chrome for now, been having problems with flash video stuttering in Firefox/Waterfox and I couldn't stand it.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
Google is so lame, i barely noticed we can't install scripts from other websites anymore.
LLShC.gif

download it to your hdd and then drag it onto the extensions page

you have to do it manually because people were abusing it

Switched over the Chrome for now, been having problems with flash video stuttering in Firefox/Waterfox and I couldn't stand it.

Chrome is causing FF to stutter?

Got this strange issue with Chrome today. Not sure what's causing it but it's really irritating. Basically after a page has loaded it will sometimes get squished horizontally, leaving a black bar on the side of the page. Behind the scenes the page itself is normal; links and buttons are where they should be and the scrollbar is still at the edge of the screen. But visually everything is squished, sometimes causing an issue when I want to click on things as I'll have to click where things are supposed to be, not where they're being displayed. Here's an image:

It doesn't always happen and some sites seem to have a tendency to do it more than others (NeoGAF pretty much does it 1 out of every 2 times). I've disabled all extensions and it still does it. I've also restarted Chrome and my PC but no luck.

I've also noticed that if I use Chrome in a window and then move the window around, the movement lags, but only on pages that are squished. I can move the window fine if I'm on a tab that is displayed properly. This isn't an issue since I always maximise Chrome and I don't sit there moving windows around all day, but I thought I'd point it out regardless.

Code_Link

Got this strange issue with Chrome today. Not sure what's causing it but it's really irritating. Basically after a page has loaded it will sometimes get squished horizontally, leaving a black bar on the side of the page. Behind the scenes the page itself is normal; links and buttons are where they should be and the scrollbar is still at the edge of the screen. But visually everything is squished, sometimes causing an issue when I want to click on things as I'll have to click where things are supposed to be, not where they're being displayed. Here's an image:

It doesn't always happen and some sites seem to have a tendency to do it more than others (NeoGAF pretty much does it 1 out of every 2 times). I've disabled all extensions and it still does it. I've also restarted Chrome and my PC but no luck.

I've also noticed that if I use Chrome in a window and then move the window around, the movement lags, but only on pages that are squished. I can move the window fine if I'm on a tab that is displayed properly. This isn't an issue since I always maximise Chrome and I don't sit there moving windows around all day, but I thought I'd point it out regardless.

I came to this thread exactly because of that. It's doing it on random pages and I've no idea what's wrong.

survivor

Banned
Maybe I'm going crazy but when you put your mouse over a link, didn't Chrome used to show the address at the bottom left corner? For some reason it's not doing that now.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
Maybe I'm going crazy but when you put your mouse over a link, didn't Chrome used to show the address at the bottom left corner? For some reason it's not doing that now.

it should do. If you're using the beta or dev channel it's probably just a bug regression.

survivor

Banned
I'm running the normal version of Chrome (21 right now). I tried incognito mode and it seems to work fine there.

edit: tried disabling all the extensions I have and enabled them again and now it's showing the status bar when I hover on a link. Don't know what caused the problem but at least it works now

sangreal

exy0z.png

What is this screen I keep getting? It happens at random from what I can tell.

Bad graphics driver/card.

No, it's a (relatively common) chrome bug: http://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=110343

We have found easy steps to repro on two local machines. The good news is that the problem doesn't seem to exist post Chrome 21 (e.g. Dev channel (22) or Canary (23)).

It repros pretty consistently by doing the following:
1. Turn on "compositing on all pages" in about:flags
2. Start the browser, go to www.google.com.
3. Open one more tab and once again go to www.google.com
4. Switch back to the first tab and close the second tab by clicking the corresponding red X button in the tab strip (without switching to it first).
5. At this point, the first tab will start showing the pattern. If it doesn't, click on the + next to the tab to open a new tab, and then switch back to the original one. This time it may be black (another manifestation of probably the same issue).

Interestingly enough, this only happens when there's no horizontal scrollbar. Making the window small enough for the horizontal scrollbar to appear at the bottom seems to make the problem go away. Same thing is true if the FPS counter or the composited layer borders are shown.

It seems to only be happening with integrated Intel GPUs and it looks most likely like a driver bug.

We have a possible fix (a workaround really) that's being tested.

there is actually another thread on it here

Derrick01

Banned
Does anyone's browser scroll kind of laggy when there's a gif or picture to scroll by? I don't know if it's my computer/internet or chrome, I'm pretty sure this is a fairly new thing and my internet test comes back normal. Maybe my PC is acting up but so far I haven't had problems with any games.

edit: In case it is internet related I should note I have a 10mb download speed. Kind of low compared to the rest of the world but it's always been fast enough.

Makoto

Does anyone's browser scroll kind of laggy when there's a gif or picture to scroll by? I don't know if it's my computer/internet or chrome, I'm pretty sure this is a fairly new thing and my internet test comes back normal. Maybe my PC is acting up but so far I haven't had problems with any games.

edit: In case it is internet related I should note I have a 10mb download speed. Kind of low compared to the rest of the world but it's always been fast enough.
I've been experiencing this as well with Chrome lately. Scrolling through a thread with a few moderately sized pictures and gifs will cause a slight bit of lag.

Yep, I've been experiencing too. It doesn't happen in Firefox 14.

Guri

So, guys, I think I'll give Chrome another try. I'm in Frefox now, and it's great, but the performance of Chrome always gets me. The thing is that many things are missing for me. Maybe you could help me?

Aero Peek

So, I always stay between 5-8 tabs, so Aero Peek works like a charm for me. There was a code to put on the shortcut, but Google removed that. (--aero-peek-tabs, I think). Is there a way to get it back? If not, I could live with that. But since I always change tabs and windows, it could be great for me.

Extensions

So, almost all extensions that I use are in Chrome as well. But Ghostery behaves so differently that it's almost impossible to white-list the things I don't want blocked. Now, there is Do Not Track Plus, which I never tried. Does it work better? Also, does it blend well with Adblock? (yes, I know GAF should be on the white-list on all extensions that block ads, so that is in the question too)

Rendering problems

On Lifehacker (and all Gawker sites, apparently), there's a gray line in the middle of the articles only on Chrome. I've seen that on the search function of Facebook's chat and the guys on Rock, Paper, Shotgun saw that this week as well. Is there a fix for that?

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Latest Chrome Dev Update this week finally stopped Chrome from shitting all over everything I've been trying to do for the past IDK 2 months. Took the Chromium team long enough, but I'm just happy it's fixed.

Is it me or has chrome lately been chugging after an hour+ use? it never used to do such a thing but now even on gaf it will take it's sweet time to load images after about an hour, I just presumed it was a bad memory leak or something.

Guri

Alright, so I managed to get around all of these problems, execpt Aero Peek, but I can live with that. There's only one more thing: With Flashblock, even if I put video sites on the white-list, embed videos still don't work. I'm talking about YouTube and Vimeo. Do I have to put a specific address?

EDIT: Nevermind, after a restart, it's working.

Top Bottom