• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Google Chrome |OT|

Anyone else having sound issues in Chrome? I'm able to hear music from Spotify and other programs, but Chrome is completely silent. The volume mixer and everything else is as it should be, but I'm getting nothing.

I did use the popular trick of disabling PepperFlash or whatever its called to stop .gifs and youtube from locking everything up, so it might be related.

So I randomly lost all my apps in chrome (thank god for chrome sync)

But I guess this one app was removed off the chrome store Smooth Gestures

Anyone has a good equivalent or better?

Wait explain your text (font) issue.

https://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=146407

ttKeZ.png

Currently on the dev channel and it has yet to be resolved.

Pctx

Banned
Any update on when Google Now is hitting the desktop version? I've started to realize I depend on that daily now.

Man what's with Chrome and the fonts being nearly illegible? Like sometimes I'll boot up Chrome and my fonts are fine, then other times it's like a completely different typeface is being used, and the result are these ungodly bold condensed kernning fucked to hell and back jagged shits for letters all over my screen.

i2lvFNVCv1kWi.png

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
Man what's with Chrome and the fonts being nearly illegible? Like sometimes I'll boot up Chrome and my fonts are fine, then other times it's like a completely different typeface is being used, and the result are these ungodly bold condensed kernning fucked to hell and back jagged shits for letters all over my screen.

http://i.minus.com/i2lvFNVCv1kWi.png[IMG][/QUOTE]

what site is that? it looks like their using a custom font which looks terrible in Chrome (but probably great on their Mac)

What can I do to improve Chrome's shitty spell check? I'm tired of it incorrectly underlining words (it's currently telling me that "unimportance" isn't a word). Also, I used to be able to right click highlighted misspelled words and receive the spell check recommendation immediately in the right click menu, but now I only get the option to search Google (or if I install a Dictionary.com extension, Dictionary.com).

Number45

What can I do to improve Chrome's shitty spell check? I'm tired of it incorrectly underlining words (it's currently telling me that "unimportance" isn't a word). Also, I used to be able to right click highlighted misspelled words and receive the spell check recommendation immediately in the right click menu, but now I only get the option to search Google (or if I install a Dictionary.com extension, Dictionary.com).
Weird, it's not flagging "unimportance" for me, and I'm also seeing the recommendations in the ctrl+click menu.

Do you have any extensions that might be interfering?

Weird, it's not flagging "unimportance" for me, and I'm also seeing the recommendations in the ctrl+click menu.

Do you have any extensions that might be interfering?

Just Adblock Plus. I have "Use a web service to help resolve spelling errors" checked, and I have this problem both at home and at work.

EDIT: If I right click the word "unimportance" it offers the suggestions, but yeah it still flags the word. At least I can still get the suggestions, but whatever dictionary they're using for me sucks.

Prelithe

Hard to tell if you've resized that image, but with Chrome on Windows custom fonts are not anti-aliased (unless you use SVG font). I believe on Mac it is properly done.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ

Be sure to have "Ask Google for suggestions" checked, it'll load all but the first suggestion from Google itself. Don't know if that will help with the misdetections though.

Cyrillus

So the most recent Developer build of Chrome has removed "Recently Closed Tabs" from the new tab interface? Seriously? I now have to click the Chrome menu and go to "Recent Tabs" to get to them, and even that it just let's you keep reopening the last-closed tab instead of showing a list? How is this better?

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
So the most recent Developer build of Chrome has removed "Recently Closed Tabs" from the new tab interface? Seriously? I now have to click the Chrome menu and go to "Recent Tabs" to get to them, and even that it just let's you keep reopening the last-closed tab instead of showing a list? How is this better?
I'm more concerned about the fact I don't see the "Other devices" list in that screenshot. Tell me it wasn't removed. I use that shit all the time. It's the only reason I use Chrome on my iOS devices.

Cyrillus

I'm more concerned about the fact I don't see the "Other devices" list in that screenshot. Tell me it wasn't removed. I use that shit all the time. It's the only reason I use Chrome on my iOS devices.
It's below where the "Reopen Closed Tab" option is that's highlighted. Nexus 4 and BT016 are my other "devices" (BT016 is my work computer). Still, it's less easy to get to than before, so it's not a good change.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
It's below where the "Reopen Closed Tab" option is that's highlighted. Nexus 4 and BT016 are my other "devices" (BT016 is my work computer). Still, it's less easy to get to than before, so it's not a good change.
Hmm.. On the bright side, I can finally get rid of the terrible default new tab page and use something that lets me customize the sites like SpeedDial.

I'll allow it.

benjipwns

Banned
They've done this type of thing before with crap and then suddenly it's back to how it was. Hopefully this will be an instance of that.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Yeah, usually you can't be sure what will actually make it to the release until it actually gets pushed to release. I do hope they keep the other devices in a menu though since I am so fed up with the shitty lame-ass NTP they currently have. I don't use Apps. And its idea of my "most visited sites" is abysmal. I want to switch to Speed Dial but as far as I know it doesn't have a list of Other Device tabs. Once Google allows access to that API for developers I will be a happy man.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I won't use Chrome until they have a usable full screen mode in Windows. This issue has been going on for almost 4 years with no resolve. They have auto hide tabs on Mac OS but refuse to offer it on Windows.

http://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=8022
Have you tried pressing F11? On OS X it's called Presentation Mode and makes the top tools all disappear, but they come back when you mouse up there. On Windows it just seems to remove it and doesn't let it come back. Odd. I guess that's what you mean? Seems like F11 on WIndows should really be called Kiosk Mode.

Zeppu

The 'I'm feeling lucky' google search.

1. Right-click the address bar and click on "Edit search engines...".
2. Click the Add button
3. Where it asks for a name type Google - I'm Feeling Lucky!
4. Where it ask for a keyword type im
5. Where it asks for a URL paste http://www.google.com/search?ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&sourceid=navclient&gfns=1&q=%s <-- make sure you get the right address (i.e. not copy+paste) cause URLs are shortened on GAF
6. Click Ok to save your settings and exit the dialog box
7. Now click the Make Default button
8. Click the Close button at the bottom
9. Type in keywords in the address bar that describe the site you want like Caterpillar for http://www.cat.com/

http://productforums.google.com/forum/#!msg/chrome/pDpfTIoSaaA/kTghirXibzU

Stin

Have you tried pressing F11? On OS X it's called Presentation Mode and makes the top tools all disappear, but they come back when you mouse up there. On Windows it just seems to remove it and doesn't let it come back. Odd. I guess that's what you mean? Seems like F11 on WIndows should really be called Kiosk Mode.

Ya, you don't get tabs dropdown on Windows, so fullscreen mode is pretty worthless. I have to run fullscreen because I have a plasma and I don't want to get burn in from the static bars. Firefox and IE10 both work great in fullscreen.

OatmealMu

Did something happen with Chrome or Google Hangouts? I stream myself working in Photoshop to both Justin.tv and Youtube (via Hangouts). Today, I noticed my Hangout appears to be capturing video at a crisp 720p. Whereas before, the video quality was terrible. It's basically at parity with my JTV stream. I also noticed Chrome is no longer being captured, despite not hiding it with Stream Privacy.

Anyone know what's going on? I hope this isn't a temporary thing...

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Ya, you don't get tabs dropdown on Windows, so fullscreen mode is pretty worthless. I have to run fullscreen because I have a plasma and I don't want to get burn in from the static bars. Firefox and IE10 both work great in fullscreen.
That's just stupid. Can't believe they didn't get it right.

OS X has two versions of Fullscreen. The main one is normal Lion-style fullscreen where the window takes its own space/virtual desktop. And presentation mode which, if not already in Lion Fullscreen will take you there and slide the menubar and controls off the screen. But they still come back if you mouse up there.

Weird that Windows is still stuck with single tab "Kiosk Mode" which is meant for when you want a machine showing just one website to keep people within an environment. Like kiosks in a mall or store.

4 years?

Shepard

Any of you tried these new dev versions? They are absolutely horrible. The changes they've made to the search mechanism are atrocious. If this is the future, I'm out of Chrome for good.

Ambitious

Any of you tried these new dev versions? They are absolutely horrible. The changes they've made to the search mechanism are atrocious. If this is the future, I'm out of Chrome for good.

Not at home right now - could you please list some examples of what they changed?

Shepard

Not at home right now - could you please list some examples of what they changed?

Searching from the Omnibar now brings the google results page without the search box in the Google page (so you have to search again using the omnibar), the thing is, the "search predict" feature is so aggresive that it makes really hard even to navigate to a random page. Typing "game" in the bar and pressing enter, will open the Steam site, for example. Typing wikipedia, instead of opening the search page or wikipedia main site, will open some random article I read a while back. It's infuriating.
Edit: and that's after turning all the typing predicition things off in the settings.

Stin

That's just stupid. Can't believe they didn't get it right.

OS X has two versions of Fullscreen. The main one is normal Lion-style fullscreen where the window takes its own space/virtual desktop. And presentation mode which, if not already in Lion Fullscreen will take you there and slide the menubar and controls off the screen. But they still come back if you mouse up there.

Weird that Windows is still stuck with single tab "Kiosk Mode" which is meant for when you want a machine showing just one website to keep people within an environment. Like kiosks in a mall or store.

4 years?

Ya, if you read the first post one of the developers said that it's "working as intended". Even after 4 years and hundreds of posts they won't fix it, or even offer to open up the UI API so someone can make an extension that will correct it. They are so arrogant. Firefox is the complete opposite. You can do basically anything you want with it. The only thing left to make Firefox better than Chrome is to make the browser more responsive, which they are working on with supersnappy, off main thread composition, e10 ect. I'd recommend anyone using Firefox to get the Nightly version. All the newest features hit there first. If all goes as planned Firefox will feel as smooth as Chrome in 3-6 months.

Stin

The fullscreen mode you are taking about is metro mode in windows 8, just sayin...

What do you mean? I just tried Chrome in Metro and it behaves the same way as desktop. The tabs disappear when you F11 and they don't drop down when you mouse to the top. Is this different in the dev version or something?

Threi

notag
Well I meant in metro mode chrome is fullscreen and takes it's own space, with controls present.

I dont really understand why there isnt any hideable controls in f11 fullscreen though.

what site is that? it looks like their using a custom font which looks terrible in Chrome (but probably great on their Mac)

Maybe, I only have this issue with Chrome, the fonts render fine in Firefox/Safari/Opera (haven't tried IE10)

Hard to tell if you've resized that image, but with Chrome on Windows custom fonts are not anti-aliased (unless you use SVG font). I believe on Mac it is properly done.

Not resized, the site is inconsequential, any site that uses webfonts looks like that on Chrome for me. The Verge looks like that for me, it's annoying D: I've pretty much switched back to firefox full time as a result. I can't be bothered to keep closing and reopening my browser in hopes the fonts will be legible. Google needs to sort this shit out.

kehs

Banned
So it's really pathetic that the safari wrapper that is chrome on iOS takes a big fat dump all over the chrome application on android.

This things is tons smoother than chrome on android, I really hope it's because android version is still based on version 18 or whatever, but really they should be embarrassed.

Gambit61

So I've been using Chrome on my new Note 2 and it looks like it has the eye killing white flash between random page loads. Anyone else get these on their PC/Phone?

JonnyBrad

Quick question for those who know more about the inner workings of chrome development than I do. How long do bug fixes that appear in canary chrome usually take to hit the main build? I downloaded it today and they have fixed a massive issue i have with my printer where it prints completely blank pages from chrome. Its a really annoying bug.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
Quick question for those who know more about the inner workings of chrome development than I do. How long do bug fixes that appear in canary chrome usually take to hit the main build? I downloaded it today and they have fixed a massive issue i have with my printer where it prints completely blank pages from chrome. Its a really annoying bug.

between stable and canary you're looking at about 2-4 months. but even that may not include everything if it's still a work in progress.

I moved from the dev channel back to the stable and installed canary on the same machine. If I have a problem or want to test something I just open canary and do it there. It's not a great answer but if you're only running into a small problem every now and then it works fine.

Top Bottom