• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Google Chrome |OT|

Sorry if this has been discussed before, but is there any way to fix the way Chrome handles GIFs? I have a good internet connection and a fast computer so there's no excuse for the GIFs to be loading so poorly.

For those of you on the dev branch or the Android beta build: You'll recently have received a build that bundles in Web Speech API - it's a bit like Siri, but good.

Once the feature makes it into production versions of Chrome, things could get mighty interesting. A voice-enabled Android browser would take the mobile OS's voice-recognition capabilities beyond its current Voice Actions abilities. It will also take Android past Apple's flawed speech Siri recognition – which is, in your correspondent's experience, rather less useful than the voice-driven search in Google's iOS search app. A speechified version of Chrome on iOS with speech baked in would put the cat among the pigeons

More here: Siri, will Chrome's new speech features kill you?

FLEABttn

Banned
Chrome isn't remembering what links I've clicked on. Cleared cookies, uninstalled, made sure no leftover files remained, reinstalled. No idea what it's doing, but this and gif handling has pushed me back over to Firefox for the time being.

Have they changed the way holding down the middle mouse button for scrolling works?

I swear if you held it and let go it would stop scrolling, but now it doesn't. Though it could just be me imagining things...

3phemeral

Has anyone been having any problems with new tabs perpetually loading (never completing) and chrome notifying you that it hasn't shit down properly after closing it normally? Seems to happen when I've had the browser open for a few hour. Even incognito is affected.

Vox-Pop

Contains Sucralose
I opened my browser today and all my extensions are not showing up or got deleted. Also my color theme disappeared. Chrome is now showing the original theme.

Any idea what happened?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I opened my browser today and all my extensions are not showing up or got deleted. Also my color theme disappeared. Chrome is now showing the original theme.

Any idea what happened?

Google read your comments about Android in the other thread. They were not amused.

Vox-Pop

Contains Sucralose
Google read your comments about Android in the other thread. They were not amused.

That was voxpop, I'm another person.

Any help?

My bookmarks and log-in info are showing up. My extensions, apps, and theme were deleted. I already reinstalled Chrome, but nothing has changed.

benjipwns

Banned
Found this little extension for bringing back a list of recently closed tabs:
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/undo-recently-closed-tabs/jpcdannfionjoennkippohpibecglhic

ENwW3rW6q4evxodEaFAH2sB8OG7pTp4Ohjm7QC_v6FwVyEwaqXfZTdg8LJ_I6rWkPEKLPy3hUg=s640-h400-e365-rw

benjipwns

Banned
No. I want more than just the most recently closed tab and less than the entire history.

And I want a drop-down list.

I know some other people were also unhappy with this change Google made so I figured I'd post a link to one I found. Maybe I'll post another if I decide to find something to change the New Tab page back.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
No. I want more than just the most recently closed tab and less than the entire history.

And I want a drop-down list.

I know some other people were also unhappy with this change Google made so I figured I'd post a link to one I found. Maybe I'll post another if I decide to find something to change the New Tab page back.
I guess it's a bigger deal on Windows. OS X users have a menubar with all that stuff. I forgot Windows doesn't have one. Though isn't it just hidden? Or does it actually not exist?

benjipwns

Banned
Yeah, in Linux you also have the menu bar, I have no idea if there's even one in Windows as I've never wanted one. You can right click the task bar, but it's only four of them. The new tab page used to have something to click to get like the last 8-10 but that's gone in the redesign of the page. I can't remember if there was a list in the menu or not.

I prefer the little button near everything to a menu bar in any case and after messing with the settings of the extension it's probably better than the old methods.

EDIT: I'm talking about this: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=45569613&postcount=4721

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I thought in Windows in order to make hidden "legacy style" menubars appear you simply pressed Alt. Or does Chrome just simply not have one? I guess I should just boot up Windows myself and look.

I guess the point is I can understand why you'd want that as a button too. I wouldn't mind more buttons there as well since I use Chrome on OS X in Fullscreen which hides the menubar as well. Though it comes back in a second when I want it.

What I'd love to see is a button for my toolbar that shows the "Other Devices" list in a popover so I can finally switch to a better New Tab Page. The only reason I can't switch from the horribly unpowerful stock NTP is because it's the only place you can find the list of other device tabs. A feature which I use all the time. I really want to switch to something nice like Speed Dial or my old personal custom NTP I made a while ago.

I believe the Dev branch had this as a menu option under the hotdogs menu a while back. Is it still there? Or did they decide to remove it? I want them to put it back there or offer an extension so I can dump this shitty NTP already.

benjipwns

Banned
I thought in Windows in order to make hidden "legacy style" menubars appear you simply pressed Alt. Or does Chrome just simply not have one?
Doesn't have one from what I can tell.
I believe the Dev branch had this as a menu option under the hotdogs menu a while back. Is it still there? Or did they decide to remove it? I want them to put it back there or offer an extension so I can dump this shitty NTP already.
Yeah, it's still there. That's where the reopen closed tab thing is but as noted by Cyrillus, all it does is just open the last tab, it doesn't make a list like the old new tab page, the menubar in Linux/OSX or the above extension.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Doesn't have one from what I can tell.
Is Microsoft really that much for getting rid of menubars? I like them and am glad OS X keeps it shown. You'd think the Windows version of Chrome would still have it available to the user somehow.

Yeah, it's still there. That's where the reopen closed tab thing is but as noted by Cyrillus, all it does is just open the last tab, it doesn't make a list like the old new tab page, the menubar in Linux/OSX or the above extension.
This almost makes me want to switch back to Dev. But I hate that I can't easily go back to release without corrupting my profile. Well, without breaking a single file that I should easily be able to remove. I just don't want to fuck anything up beyond repair. So I'll probably wait in line for it to come down on its own time. Maybe.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Is Microsoft really that much for getting rid of menubars? I like them and am glad OS X keeps it shown. You'd think the Windows version of Chrome would still have it available to the user somehow.

Where would they go?

I'm glad they're gone. Waste of space.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Right. Where would they show up from in Chrome?
Right where they'd normally be under the titlebar. I guess since Chrome uses a custom window layout (With no titlebar) they didn't implement that GUI widget into the window. On OS X of course the menubar is always there part of the windowserver. And on Linux.. well, I don't know where they put them if Chrome on Linux has one.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Right, my point is there's no real place for it to drop down from anywhere on Windows.

On Linux it uses whatever the desktop shell uses. On Ubuntu that's Unity which copied OS X with the awful global menu bar, thankfully Gnome Shell is moving in a more sensible direction with app menus.

Having a lot of issues with Flash, both when using built in or adobe plugin. Memory leaks going up to 1GB RAM usage.

Going to try uninstall and reinstall Chrome. I don't know why they can't get this one thing right.

Ok so instead of my search results from my omnibox looking like this:

yCZWplk.png

they now look like this:

cRtwRsL.png

Anyone know what the hell is going on and how to revert it? Because this is pants on head retarded.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
Ok so instead of my search results from my omnibox looking like this:

http://i.imgur.com/yCZWplk.png[img]

they now look like this:

[img]http://i.imgur.com/cRtwRsL.png[img]

Anyone know what the hell is going on and how to revert it? Because this is pants on head retarded.[/QUOTE]

It could be related to this

[url]http://blog.chromium.org/2012/12/faster-simpler-search-in-chrome.html[/url]

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
It describes what's happening but I'm on beta not dev.

that was posted over a month ago so it's probably found its way into the beta channel by now. I'm not seeing any changes in stable or canary on my searches.

I don't know how to disable it. There's probably a cookie you can delete which will get it back but I couldn't tell you which one.

PlayDat

Neogaf isn't loading at all for me in chrome. This may have been discussed already but I looked at the last page and didn't see anything. Anybody else having that same issue?

Soodanim

Are extensions like AdBlock, and more specifically, NoScript (or equivalents) still necessary in 2013? I'm a Firefox user that hasn't paid much attention to browsers in a few years.

Great, now I can't use my profile with the old version of Chrome. Uninstalled and reinstalled, same issues.

Yeah that happens when you switch out to a beta, and then back again. If you just put up with the pop-up message, it'll eventually fix itself when the next version gets pushed down the tubes to you, or you can try and update.

I think versions 25 and 26 use the same profile format, so you could feasibly move from stable to beta or bleeding to fix this in the short term.

Here's a quick question. Does anyone know why my GPUs (two GTX 670s) run at full tilt when I have Chrome open? They're generating a lot of heat just browsing the web and I want to disable this.

I've googled the problem but all I can find are about:flags for disabling 2D canvasing that don't seem to work. Any suggestions?

Okay, this is driving me nuts. Every goddamn time I make a new tab I have to click on it, click on another tab, and then click back on it to see the actual page. It even does it sometimes when I go to a new page.

deim0s

I'm having problem with https searches in Chrome stable (switched to beta) - loading https://www.google.com takes around for a minute or loads indefinitely. Tried turning off one extension that I'm using and still the same.

Other https sites from google like gmail loads quick, G+ loads slow too. FF and Safari on my machine (OSX) doesn't exhibit this behavior.

3phemeral

Okay, this is driving me nuts. Every goddamn time I make a new tab I have to click on it, click on another tab, and then click back on it to see the actual page. It even does it sometimes when I go to a new page.

At least your tabs work somewhat. After a set amount of time, it seems opening new tabs won't work for me. They just hang there, half loaded and never complete. The little loading icon perpetually animating. I can still load content in old tabs that were already working, but only if I navigate within the same domain. Any attempt to navigate outside of that url (say, from neogaf to Google+ instead of from neogaf thread 1 to thread 2), will result in the same loading problem.

Additionally, if I decide to close out normally, upon reopening, chrome will not save my session properly. Instead, it opens up tabs that were open probably an hour ago. Plus, chrome doesn't close out completely as checking task manager has chrome still running and taking up a massive amount of memory.

Top Bottom