• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Google I/O 2013 |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

daoster

I wasn't paying attention enough, but what does Hangouts replace? Does it replace the old Google Hangouts, and GTalk like previous rumored? what about SMS? Voice?

Jigolo

So is anyone jumping into Google Music? I know I am. Also undercutting Spotify and Rdio by $2 if you sign up before June 30th is a huge plus

I was really hoping they would have implemented Google Voice into this. They admitted they are fragmented in their messaging, so what do they do? They don't replace their old ones with one new one, they just ADD ANOTHER ONE!

I think Google's terrified of forcing people using older services onto Google+ after the Google Buzz fiasco and how pissed off people got.

They should still do it.

Shambles

Full res pictures, and I'm sure more than 10 seconds of video might be enough to push my family off whatsapp and onto hangouts.

Wow, picture sorting. Google is going to create skynet.

So is Hangouts actually going to fold together the previous Hangouts, Gchat, and Google Voice? Standardize that shit Google.

Also, here's hoping for automatic phone number integration (a la iMessage) on Android (and the ability to register your phone number if you're on iOS and haven't already done it through Google Talk). Goodbye, SMS plans for everybody ever.

i dunno why people want SMS jacking built in. not when even now people are still having a ton of issues because of iMessage.

Talon

Google will now decide what pictures I take are worth existing.

Kneel.
i dunno why people want SMS jacking built in. not when even now people are still having a ton of issues because of iMessage.
Praytell these "ton of issues," Faceless. The fact that it swaps seamlessly to SMS during outages is pretty helpful.

iMessage is the one iOS 6 feature I don't really have a complaing about.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
While Hangouts looks pretty great, no SMS support means it will still be as useless as the existing G+ chat thing. Everyone needs to download the app, or there will be no point. And they won't. This needed to be a unified chat and SMS app, and that seems to not be the case. Very disappointing.

And what about the 42 different messaging apps Google already have? Will they still be there, with this as yet another option. Terrible if so.

So is anyone jumping into Google Music? I know I am. Also undercutting Spotify and Rdio by $2 if you sign up before June 30th is a huge plus

I would if they ever brought it to the rest of the world. But after 2+ years of giving not a single hint that will happen, I've pretty much lost hope in GMusic. It's not coming.

3phemeral

Google auto-picking your best photos. Interesting. Based of blurriness, dupes, exposure level, landmarks, people's expressions, who it matches in your circles, and machine-learned aesthetics.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
This photo stiff is blowing me away. The dark days of the Picasa ghetto seem so far away.

Milchjon

Just started watching, that stuff is all for G+, right?

So I upload my stuff on G+ for highlighting and enhancing and then reupload the selection on Facebook?

FinKL

Photoshop people will be out of a job in 20 years :p

"The EZ Enhance" button lol

So I upload my stuff on G+ for highlighting and enhancing and then reupload the selection on Facebook?

That's what I assume, but I've never used G+.

Google will now decide what pictures I take are worth existing.

Kneel.

Praytell these "ton of issues," Faceless. The fact that it swaps seamlessly to SMS during outages is pretty helpful.

iMessage is the one iOS 6 feature I don't really have a complaing about.

well, you may not have any issues but other people seem to be having a ton. missing messages, messages taking forever to send, incoming messages getting blackholed...

8bit

Knows the Score
deblurr_enhance-600x330.jpg

Talon

G+ is going to subsume your Google login, based on the Android APIs they showed earlier.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom