• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Google+ |OT| A New Social Network

kehs

Banned
Tain said:
People can't see what circle you place them in, can they?

Yes, I saw you put me in the douchebags-from-gaf circle. =(

(no, they can only see that you added them to a circle)

Achtius

I can see myself keep using this if they added calender support (an important feature that facebook lacks) and group support

edit: and notification on chrome

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I'm sure this has been mentioned, but they really need to make it possible to view any number of streams at once (just like how you can view any number of calendars at once in GCal). Right now you can either view a single stream or all of them. That's not flexible enough, there's no in-between. If I just want to see updates from two or three streams/circles, I should be able to do so.

I've sent feedback regarding this, make sure you do the same if you agree with me!

Welp. I don't personally know anyone on it so my circles are pretty empty. Feel free to add me by searching Ahmad Sultan of University of Glasgow.

man of science

Neo Member
RoadHazard said:
I'm sure this has been mentioned, but they really need to make it possible to view any number of streams at once (just like how you can view any number of calendars at once in GCal). Right now you can either view a single stream or all of them. That's not flexible enough, there's no in-between. If I just want to see updates from two or three streams/circles, I should be able to do so.

I've sent feedback regarding this, make sure you do the same if you agree with me!

This seems like a reasonable request that I hope is implemented.

Did anyone make a neoGAF google+ account? so we can have one central hub. just need someone that is willing to handle it (accepting circle request and all)

Achtius

DMPrince said:
Did anyone make a neoGAF google+ account? so we can have one central hub. just need someone that is willing to handle it (accepting circle request and all)

I wonder if google will incorporate google groups (and calender). Would be much better.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
DMPrince said:

"Accepting circle requests"...? I'm not sure what you mean by that. Circles are just for your own organization of whose posts you want to see and who you want to share stuff with. You can add anyone to a circle, there's nothing for the other person to accept. (But of course, to actually see what that person posts he/she has to share stuff with you (or the circle he/she has put you in, if any) or post publicly).

A circle isn't like a Facebook group, you can't set up a circle and suddenly have everyone in it see everyone else's posts.

I just requested all my data from Facebook, because I figure it'll be easier to collect all my pictures and migrate stuff that way, and it says they've gotta pack it up in a zip and they'll email me when its ready...

anyone know how long that takes?

Crazyorloco

I have hardly been on Facebook today. I love Google+ and I love the android app. Just spent some time viewing what people near me were streaming publicly. Pretty cool.

If i put a comment on their stream does everyone in my circle know about this? fb has made me paranoid.

The app needs some more settings but it's a wonderful start.(the upload pictures settings are cool)

I can't wait for more people to get on G+.

Crazyorloco said:
If i put a comment on their stream does everyone in my circle know about this? fb has made me paranoid.

No. They could see it, concievably, if they were able to find that random persons' stream themselves -- because the post you are commenting on is public, but its not going to show on your profiles' stream, so your friends won't see it.

I've just been chatting to some people in nearby towns and villages myself... it might actually be a cool way to meet new people

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
man of science said:
This seems like a reasonable request that I hope is implemented.
A pretty easy workaround for now is to just create a new circle of only those people you want to read. Click on an existing group then view circle in tab and that's really easy to do.

Also there's a Chrome Extension now that puts notifications right into the address bar of you want.

Crazyorloco

radioheadrule83 said:
No. They could see it, concievably, if they were able to find that random persons' stream themselves -- because the post you are commenting on is public, but its not going to show on your profiles' stream, so your friends won't see it.

I've just been chatting to some people in nearby towns and villages myself... it might actually be a cool way to meet new people
Ahh cool. That's great. I don't mind if they stumble across my posts. I didn't want people knowing I post so much. :p

and I agree this could be a great way to meet people or just chat about what's going on near you. Like if there's a major train delay i might know about it quicker looking at the streams.

survivor

Banned
I'm starting to hate how when you check notification from top right corner and try to go to the post someone replied to, it just hangs there. Google get on this ASAP

survivor said:
I'm starting to hate how when you check notification from top right corner and try to go to the post someone replied to, it just hangs there. Google get on this ASAP

You mean you'd prefer to be taken to a separate page with the item the notification is talking about on?

Click the Feedback button on the bottom right if you've got any suggestions like that, that's what this closed invite system is all about really

survivor

Banned
radioheadrule83 said:
You mean you'd prefer to be taken to a separate page with the item the notification is talking about on?

Click the Feedback button on the bottom right if you've got any suggestions like that, that's what this closed invite system is all about really
No I mean it doesn't even show the post I want. It just highlights the notification and does nothing.

survivor said:
No I mean it doesn't even show the post I want. It just highlights the notification and does nothing.

Strange. If I get a notification, I click it and I can then see <x,y,z> commented on a <post> -- if I click the word post, it takes me to the post, or I can view all comments within the notification window.

Ashhong

survivor said:

what? i click the notification number, i then click anywhere in the notification about my friend commenting, and it changes over to show that post, directly in the notification menu.

edit: yea what radiohead said above. try a different browser? what are you using?

edit2: is there no way to just comment on a friends profile like facebook? i want to welcome someone to G+ but the only thing i see is to share with the whole circle

radioheadrule83 said:
I just requested all my data from Facebook, because I figure it'll be easier to collect all my pictures and migrate stuff that way, and it says they've gotta pack it up in a zip and they'll email me when its ready...

anyone know how long that takes?

I did the same thing earlier today (mainly to get at my pictures) and it took somewhere between 30 and 40 mins. It does package everything into folders though which is good (Username/profile/pictures/album name/pictures)

Ashhong said:
edit2: is there no way to just comment on a friends profile like facebook? i want to welcome someone to G+ but the only thing i see is to share with the whole circle

From the stream page, I believe you would just start a new post, but delete the circle it suggests and put the specific users name. They should make it easier to do from someone's profile page though -- that might be a suggestion worth making.

survivor

Banned
radioheadrule83 said:
Strange. If I get a notification, I click it and I can then see <x,y,z> commented on a <post> -- if I click the word post, it takes me to the post, or I can view all comments within the notification window.
Ashhong said:
what? i click the notification number, i then click anywhere in the notification about my friend commenting, and it changes over to show that post, directly in the notification menu.

edit: yea what radiohead said above. try a different browser? what are you using?

The notifications are working fine most of the time. It's just I hate it when I go through 3 notifications in a row that don't work properly. And then the next minute they start working fine.

Ashhong said:

You can it just works differently. Everything is about the Stream on Google + than it is about direct profile interaction. So to have your friend only see it type their name in the recipient section under your status update area.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Ashhong said:

You can share a post with just a single person, but no, you can't post on their "wall", since there isn't really anything like that. Google+ reminds me more of Twitter than Facebook when it comes to how you post updates. Every update you post lives in your "personal stream", and for each update you choose who to share it with.

radioheadrule83 said:
Ashhong said:
From the stream page, I believe you would just start a new post, but delete the circle it suggests and put the specific users name. They should make it easier to do from someone's profile page though -- that might be a suggestion worth making.

I had the same question earlier, and was told about "Buzz". Didn't realise you could do your solution too. May try it in a min... it's not ideal/intuitive though. Hope they iron that wrinkle out.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
nVidiot_Whore said:
Bing÷ is where it's at.
NNO it will be called Bingx. Get it? "times" its the place you go for good times on the 'net.

sneak preview of gmail revamped. http://gmailblog.blogspot.com/2011/06/preview-of-gmails-new-look.html

threadlist-large.png

can try it out from theme page.

EDIT: way too white for me.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Dear god something needs to be done about that spacing.

I agree that the current spacing is too small, but that is definitely too large. That being said, I'm EXTREMELY impressed with Google's makeover. Definitely the best they've offered yet.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Google mobile search page changed, too. The tabs up top look great. What the hell is going on? Google is actually trying to look nice?

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Aw yeah, noticed that too.
Damn... I kinda can't fucking wait to see the next iteration of Android.

kehs

Banned
Bboy AJ said:
Google mobile search page changed, too. The tabs up top look great. What the hell is going on? Google is actually trying to look nice?

Everyone else is catching up in feature parity.

The dense preview isn't too bad, but fuck that static ad on the bottom. wtf.

Top Bottom