• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Google+ |OT| A New Social Network

JABEE said:
Did you just get in? How long did it take to get past the over capacity screen?

I tried first this morning. Made an attempt when i got home from work and I got in fine.

Guess I am just lucky.

Ashhong

Zombie James said:
I've only signed up about 5 minutes ago but initial impression is really, really positive. I love the circles concept.

Yea I'm a huge fan of Circles. Too many times I want to post something but dont want family or someone to see. I tried blocking my family's access to my wall and posts but they realized it and got angry
lol.gif

Jobiensis

Ok, Anyone can add me... please..

Robert Bushner (I reserve right to edit this out)

JCreasy, I see two black Jasons!

UltimatePooh, I can't find you.

Yeah the Gmail theme is too much white IMO. They need to get some borders or different shades for different sections of the page or something.

survivor

Banned
Jobiensis said:
Ok, Anyone can add me... please..

Name (I reserve right to edit this out)

JCreasy, I see two black Jasons!

UltimatePooh, I can't find you.
I added you

They really need to make it so we can have custom names in our profile links Much easier than just numbers

Circle T

Is anyone else's Stream totally not showing up chronologically?

If I click on "Stream" on the left, I get all the posts that I should be seeing, but they are not in any kind of discernable order. Some are 2 days old, followed by one from tonight, then one from earlier this morning, then another from 3 days ago, then tonight, etc.

I might be missing a setting somewhere, but if I am, I can't for the life of me see where.

Oh, and feel free to add me, if anyone wants...

Jeff Hilgenberg (Vault Boy profile pic)

Polari

mclaren777 said:
The aesthetic changes to Gmail/Calendar are really quite awful. :(

I think Calendar looks fine. Mail needs a little work though.

Is anyone else having a problem where notifications are stuck? Whenever I click on it, it goes to zero, but next time I load a Google page it's at one, but with the same notifications I have already read.

thespot84

Circle T said:
Is anyone else's Stream totally not showing up chronologically?

If I click on "Stream" on the left, I get all the posts that I should be seeing, but they are not in any kind of discernable order. Some are 2 days old, followed by one from tonight, then one from earlier this morning, then another from 3 days ago, then tonight, etc.

I might be missing a setting somewhere, but if I am, I can't for the life of me see where.

Oh, and feel free to add me, if anyone wants...

Jeff Hilgenberg (Vault Boy profile pic)

Well, there's something they do called 'bumping'. if someone comments on an old thread it will get moved to the top of your stream. could that be what's happening?

Unrelated: did anyone mention the 'other name' trick in this thread? I saw it on google+...

make a circle called gaf or neogaf or whatever, then go to your profile to edit it, and on the bottom of the main page go to 'other names' there you can put in your gaf handle, and choose to share it only with the your gaf circle. Now you should appear as your gaf handle to gaf...

EDIT: at least i think that's how it works :-|

thespot84 said:
wait, are we trying hangout as the new tinychat?

If it could work worth a shit it might be a good option. I'm just trying it out and it crashes every few minutes. Plus I can't hear anyone's audio.

thespot84

Devolution said:
If it could work worth a shit it might be a good option. I'm just trying it out and it crashes every few minutes. Plus I can't hear anyone's audio.

can you use gchat's voice/video features? i have to imagine it's the same code...

optimiss

I can't wait for Google Reader to get a UI overhaul. Hopefully it will increase performance. GR is sooo heavy.

man of science

Neo Member
I love the Google+ look.

I've only been back on Facebook for less than a month and I'm already sick of the blue. It looks so stale.

They need to hurry up and change Gmail over though because the grey/black switcheroo is bugging me.

I got my sister, her boyfriend and one of my best high school friends to join Google+ thanks to the invite loophole and after playing around with it I have to say Google really stepped up their game.

bananas

Banned
Ryn said:
The circles are so adorable when you delete one! They just kinda get up and roll away :]

I laughed when that happened. It took a few seconds and I was like, "Um, hello?" Then it just started rolling. Very Apple like. I wonder how much of this is Andy Hertzfeld.

---

Also, apparently gmail is changing to conform with the Google+ design that's being spread across the Google services.

Edit: Apparently this is already posted.

Jezan

thespot84 said:
Well, there's something they do called 'bumping'. if someone comments on an old thread it will get moved to the top of your stream. could that be what's happening?

Unrelated: did anyone mention the 'other name' trick in this thread? I saw it on google+...

make a circle called gaf or neogaf or whatever, then go to your profile to edit it, and on the bottom of the main page go to 'other names' there you can put in your gaf handle, and choose to share it only with the your gaf circle. Now you should appear as your gaf handle to gaf...

EDIT: at least i think that's how it works :-|
Problem is , that all your "alternate names" are set for that circle you choose :/ there should be an option to allow different nicknames for each circle.

thespot84

Jezan said:
Problem is , that all your "alternate names" are set for that circle you choose :/ there should be an option to allow different nicknames for each circle.

i agree, but for right now, i only need one, so it works. You should request a feature...

Nyrad

has anyone else the problem that your old igoogle avatar is shown in-chat instead of the new google+ avatar?

Enco

Love the new gmail.

Never used the gmail site before due to the disgustingly overcrowded and messy theme. Now I'm happy!

To do:
1. Convert more people to G+

mooooose

Calendar looks amazing. Gmail is ok. Google+ is fucking awesome.

Somehow, Google rolls out a product out of nowhere and in less than a week focuses their entire project around it. WTF. Kinda astonishing. With such backing, I can't help but hope it takes off.

Polari

bananas said:
I laughed when that happened. It took a few seconds and I was like, "Um, hello?" Then it just started rolling. Very Apple like. I wonder how much of this is Andy Hertzfeld.

More how Apple used to be like. :(

Enco

salva said:
Is this the thread where i can ask for an invite?
Nope. Check the other one.

So many terrible anti-google+ articles that spout nonsense and make no points what so ever. Any site with such an article will never be visited by me again. Nothing wrong with disliking Google+ but saying Google shouldn't even try or that it's a waste of time and there's nothing good about it is a joke.

aza

Just noticed that when you have multiple profile pictures and click on your current profile picture, it plays a sweet little animation switching in between all of them. A nice touch.

Enco said:
Nope. Check the other one.

So many terrible anti-google+ articles that spout nonsense and make no points what so ever. Any site with such an article will never be visited by me again. Nothing wrong with disliking Google+ but saying Google shouldn't even try or that it's a waste of time and there's nothing good about it is a joke.

Oh, thanks.

GG-Duo

ocadman said:
How does hangout work?

You start a Hangout session and name the Circles that it's visible to.

Then anyone that belongs in those Circles will see it in their stream and be able to join.

You'll also be able to invite more people while you are video conferencing, and I believe your friends can also invite others to join as well. I'm not sure if it's restricted to your original designated Circles, however, or anyone he invites. If you invite an individual through their Gtalk account, they will see a link to go to the Hangout directly via Gtalk.

Anyway, then it's just like any group video conferencing, except when someone speaks, their video gets focus in the big window.

There's also a "YouTube" button. When you are in that mode, EVERYONE watches the same YouTube video together, and your microphone becomes Push-to-Talk. Anyone can also wrest control away - fast forward, etc, or start a new video.

There's also a "chat" window on the side, in case you want to paste links in there.

Overall, I love how they've implemented this as a "drive-by" kind of video conferencing. It's zero friction to get going.... Plus the YouTube thing is also fun as hell.

Top Bottom