• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Google+ |OT| A New Social Network

survivor

Banned
So I just used the mobile website on my laptop and forced it to check in at a place. However that post only appears on my profile, but not on my stream. Is that what it's supposed to do?

Enco said:
As for the youtube video, I kinda agree about simplicity. Google is great with design though I think. I agree with the guys comment on the fact that wherever most your friends go, you'll go. If Google+ gets big and your friends switch over, great! If not, it's gonna be tough.

Which is why Google + needs to open the invites back up... so people can send them and people can feel like they are in an exclusive club (similar to how Facebook started out.) Then when it's big enough you open it up to everyone.

I also imagine that as + takes off we'll see less and less of Buzz and then it will be taken down. Buzz is still there because + is still currently closed... There's no point in making + users go to a different place just to use Buzz with their friends who only have Buzz.

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
wario said:
just found out you can post animated gifs

Bloody Hell!

2dKAU.gif

Veidt said:
Man is totally off base. It sounds like he hasn't yet used the service. Especially considering his reproaches. G+ beats Facebook on the simplicity front in every sense. It also 'just works'- and is not littered with the complications that follow facebook. Also, I wouldn't be surprised if he was sponsored by Facebook or something.

All Google really has to do is advertise this service like they advertise google chrome and make those ads extra simple.They'll have people just switching over in no time.
No. Facebook is way more simple than Google+ why? because everyone already knows how to use facebook

Kinitari said:
That's not the same thing as being simple.
simple: Easily understood or done; presenting no difficulty

Does anyone have trouble using facebook? is it difficult? nope.
Therefore it is simple, familiarity brings simplicity. Besides, facebook is pretty barebones anyway

Enco

UltimaPooh said:
Which is why Google + needs to open the invites back up... so people can send them and people can feel like they are in an exclusive club (similar to how Facebook started out.) Then when it's big enough you open it up to everyone.

I also imagine that as + takes off we'll see less and less of Buzz and then it will be taken down. Buzz is still there because + is still currently closed... There's no point in making + users go to a different place just to use Buzz with their friends who only have Buzz.
They should open up invites and all 5 or so invites per person.

I'm sure that would go down well and would spread quickly.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Upload the animated gif rather than linking it.

The Android App doesn't sync or push notifications well.

Veidt

Blasphemer who refuses to accept bagged milk as his personal savior
foodtaster said:
No. Facebook is way more simple than Google+ why? because everyone already knows how to use facebook
Same was said for myspace.
I feel like he wasn't making sense at all. He's going on about how it's too complex for people like him. Yet he is accustomed to Buzz. Most people even don't know what Google Buzz even is, and I doubt google will institute the same kind of marketing for Google Plus. So this man is in no way the same audience that Google+ hopes to ensnare. Those are the masses, the not so tech savvy people. The people that watch CSI and buy the things that are advertised in the commercial breaks accompanying. Google+ is simple to use. Google should focus on marketing it simpler.

Baconbitz

Banned
Veidt said:
Man is totally off base. It sounds like he hasn't yet used the service. Especially considering his reproaches. G+ beats Facebook on the simplicity front in every sense. It also 'just works'- and is not littered with the complications that follow facebook. Also, I wouldn't be surprised if he was sponsored by Facebook or something.

All Google really has to do is advertise this service like they advertise google chrome and make those ads extra simple.They'll have people just switching over in no time.
Idk. I'm using g+ and I'm still a little confused by a lot of aspects. Why do you need to have 4 different services in one? Just integrate them. On Facebook its just simpler and like he said you don't have to think. Not, that I don't enjoy g+ I just don't think that what g+ is intended for will be able to figure it out.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
foodtaster said:
simple: Easily understood or done; presenting no difficulty

Does anyone have trouble using facebook? is it difficult? nope.
Therefore it is simple, familiarity brings simplicity. Besides, facebook is pretty barebones anyway

You're stretching here - you're moving the goal posts. When someone says it is 'more simple to use', they mean it in the commonly used form of the word. Computers 75 years ago were probably un-intuitive messes, but it was all they had - so everyone who had to use them, knew how. Would you say a computer now adays is more or less simple to use?

If you want to criticise G+, please by all means, get in line - just don't be silly about it.

wario said:
you gotta click on the photo so you're viewing it in pic gallery mode. the animation won't play in the stream.

Plays in my stream.

Baconbitz said:
Idk. I'm using g+ and I'm still a little confused by a lot of aspects. Why do you need to have 4 different services in one? Just integrate them. On Facebook its just simpler and like he said you don't have to think. Not, that I don't enjoy g+ I just don't think that what g+ is intended for will be able to figure it out.

What do you mean 4 different services? It's all the same service, just different facets. It's like saying that Facebook Messaging is a different service than Facebook chat, Facebook groups, facebook pages etc etc, it's all a part of the same Facebook service - just different features.

Kinitari said:
You're stretching here - you're moving the goal posts. When someone says it is 'more simple to use', they mean it in the commonly used form of the word. Computers 75 years ago were probably un-intuitive messes, but it was all they had - so everyone who had to use them, knew how. Would you say a computer now adays is more or less simple to use?

If you want to criticise G+, please by all means, get in line - just don't be silly about it.
except Facebook is more simple than G+. Go start a new facebook account and you will see. Sure your facebook account now might not look simple now that it's cluttered with targeted ads and other messages

Slo

Copernicus said:
"Post to Extended Circles"

That's my point. I suspect that the only thing that get's posted to extended circles is "SEND ME 27 GREEN CHICKEN EGGS, I'M TRYING TO LEVEL UP MY FARM." Everything interesting will be friends only, which pretty much means if you weren't in the room as it happened, you won't see it.

:foreveralone

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
foodtaster said:
except Facebook is more simple than G+. Go start a new facebook account and you will see. Sure your facebook account now might not look simple now that it's cluttered with targeted ads and other messages

I'm not going to argue whether or not it is or isn't simpler to use - that is almost entirely up to someone's personal perspective. Right now, they are equally easy for me to use - although the G+ interface looks cleaner.

If you want to argue that it is simpler to use, I am not going to contest that, just don't bring some inane arguments into the picture.

Baconbitz

Banned
Kinitari said:
What do you mean 4 different services? It's all the same service, just different facets. It's like saying that Facebook Messaging is a different service than Facebook chat, Facebook groups, facebook pages etc etc, it's all a part of the same Facebook service - just different features.
What I'm saying is with google it feels like they're not part the same service. Let me put it to you this way. You have a neighborhood but you have parts of the neighborhood in a separate county. That is google +. Facebook it feels like everything is easy to access.

Kinitari said:
I'm not going to argue whether or not it is or isn't simpler to use - that is almost entirely up to someone's personal perspective. Right now, they are equally easy for me to use - although the G+ interface looks cleaner.

If you want to argue that it is simpler to use, I am not going to contest that, just don't bring some inane arguments into the picture.
Uhm, G+ is the challenger, anyone using it will be comparing it to Facebook. So of course familiarity will equal simplicity in this case. I get what you're saying, however.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
Baconbitz said:
What I'm saying is with google it feels like they're not part the same service. Let me put it to you this way. You have a neighborhood but you have parts of the neighborhood in a separate county. That is google +. Facebook it feels like everything is easy to access.

I can't argue with that, if you feel that way it is a legitimate complaint - I don't, but it doesn't mean no one else can. But help me try to understand, cause I am curious, what exactly feels fragmented to you?

wario

It does for me.

can you see animated gifs from other people to play in stream?

i can only get my own uploaded gif to work in stream. when i look at a friend's, i gotta click on the gif first.

cory.

Banned
wario said:
you gotta click on the photo so you're viewing it in pic gallery mode. the animation won't play in the stream.
Other people's gifs are playing for me in stream, but the one I uploaded had to be clicked on.

Copernicus said:
I'm sorry but I don't seem to get why you want someone in your circles that you don't want to do anything with.
Enco said:
I just don't understand why anyone would want to block someone but give them the ability to comment on your things.. it just makes no sense at all to me.
Relationships aren't boolean and symmetrical. Relationships are fluid, asymmetrical, and circumstantial. Maybe you're a youth leader and kids want to connect with you, but necessarily want your homepage stream clutter with Justin Beiber links. That workplace co-worker contact you want to keep. Perhaps you know someone who you don't want to offend.

Why be so narrow in defining who can be in our exclusive social network. Why not add options at a granular level to be exclusive or inclusive? Not only is it a good business decision, it's human.

Social networks should mimic the way people define relationships and not define them for us.

kehs

Banned
marathonfool said:
Relationships aren't boolean and symmetrical. Relationships are fluid, asymmetrical, and circumstantial. Maybe you're a youth leader and kids want to connect with you, but necessarily want your homepage stream clutter with Justin Beiber links. That workplace co-worker contact you want to keep. Perhaps you know someone who you don't want to offend.

Why be so narrow in defining who can be in our exclusive social network. Why not add options at a granular level to be exclusive or inclusive? Not only is it a good business decision, it's human.

Social networks should mimic the way people define relationships and not define them for us.

That's.....what circles allow you to do?

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Mr. Snrub said:
You need to actually click on the photo icon, and upload it from your comp.
ok, that's... lame. Not as lame as facebook though!

Copernicus said:
That's.....what circles allow you to do?
All this time I've been referring to the homepage stream. Allowing me to control the flow of information coming to me.

Yet everyone else seems to say don't add them to your circle. Which is the attitude of defining social network relationships for others.

If I block someone on the stream, I banish them from my network. That's how Google is interpreting blocking.

cory.

Banned
marathonfool said:
All this time I've been referring to the homepage stream. Allowing me to control the flow of information coming to me.
Yeah, stream control is probably my top feature for them to implement.

Venfayth

Baconbitz said:

Not to simply dismiss you, but I felt that way when I switched to Facebook from Myspace. It's relative to learning a new interface.

kehs

Banned
marathonfool said:

Yet everyone else seems to say don't add them to your circle. Which is the attitude of defining social network relationships for others.

If I block someone on the stream, I banish them from my network. That's how Google is interpreting blocking.

Probably cause your thinking of your stream as your wall.

It's not, Stream is just all your circle streams put together. That's what it's supposed to do. Show you everything at once.

How else should a block be interpreted?

Copernicus said:
Probably cause your thinking of your stream as your wall.

It's not, Stream is just all your circle streams put together. That's what it's supposed to do. Show you everything at once.

How else should a block be interpreted?
That's even worse than Facebook. Putting all the power of sharing in the sharer. At least Facebook gives the receiver the power to control their content on their own homepage.

Blocking shouldn't delete them from your circle or disallow them from commenting on your shares. There is a mute button, but only on a individual content basis.

They should add a mute for individuals and circles in your main stream.
cory. said:
I think he's thinking block should mean hide.
At the UI level, it doesn't make sense. There's a block button on every posted content. It's redundant. The block button should be on the individual contact, not every content posted.

UltimaPooh said:

Facebook wasn't good at first because you "felt like you were in an exclusive club." It was good because it was an insulated community. Posting on facebook didn't include talking to everyone in the world. As facebook got larger it lost its appeal. I was on for my freshman and sophmore year because I felt like it was useful. Then I quit. That was four years ago, and I haven't missed it since. Google+ has the potential to gain back that feeling of control over who you are talking to that facebook lost a long time ago.

EDIT: Integration on my igoogle would be great too. One stop shopping.

kehs

Banned
marathonfool said:
That's even worse than Facebook. Putting all the power of sharing in the sharer. At least Facebook gives the receiver the power to control their content on their own homepage.

Blocking shouldn't delete them from your circle or disallow them from commenting on your shares. There is a mute button, but only on a individual content basis.

They should add a mute for individuals and circles in your main stream.

*shrugs*

This is getting too circular for me.

It's like clicking all mail and wanting it to not show you all mail.

Top Bottom