• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Google+ |OT| A New Social Network

panda21

i just tried it, and if you aren't signed in it offers you to click to sign in, and then gives

"Google+ is in limited Field Trial
At the moment, we're testing with a small number of people, but it won't be long before the Google+ project is ready for everyone. Leave us your email address and we'll make sure that you're the first to know when we're ready to invite more people.
Keep Me Posted
Already invited? We've temporarily exceeded our capacity. Please try again soon."

if i try to sign in with my account that was invited...

Enco

Seems pretty random then.

I won't change the op yet until it's official. Pretty sure you can still get in through the loophole though. Read the op if you're interested.

Enco

Gowans007 said:
is there a neogaf group or anything in this thing, it's just a big old empty facebook for me.
No way to properly create groups, so no.

Hopefully that changes soon though.

How about...
1) we make a list of ppl. willing to have a "gaf circle" in this thread
2) we then create a chain-pm (on gaf) that will be sent around accoding to the order of that list
3) then each of us would create a gaf circle and add everyone from that list, thus creating a gaf stream

/edit
In the said chain pm ppl. would post their e-mail adresses

does it make any sense? lol

Corto

Gowans007 said:
is there a neogaf group or anything in this thing, it's just a big old empty facebook for me.

You have to add one person at a time to a circle created by you. My own GAF circle is at 82 at the moment.

Enco

Jamesfrom818 said:
I think Google couldn't find a way to shut down the invite work around so they just said fuck it and opened her up.
Some people are saying it's open, others are not...

xtop

is anyone else having problems using google chat inside of plus? i'm using the osx dev version of chrome and it won't let me type into the chat boxes. so annoying

SimleuqiR

Phantast2k said:
How about...
2) we then create a chain-pm (on gaf) that will be sent around accoding to the order of that list
3) then each of us would create a gaf circle and add everyone from that list, thus creating a gaf stream

/edit

They should allow you to nick name people in your circles. You know how difficult it is to try and figure out who's who? I'm more familiar with Gaf names.

Facebook is obviously unhappy with my new Google+ account..

pwIBg.png

Yaska

Phantast2k said:
How about...

/edit

I'm in. If there's a gaf group, info about it should be added to OP.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
I was really lost at first with all those streams and circles and stuff, but after watching all the movies explaining the features and clicking through g+ a bit I must say I'm impressed. Sharing stuff on your wall with all the people which leads to tons of boring/useless links/yt videos/photos from some friends is the biggest fb annoyance for me.

modulaire

After playing with + for a day a like it very much.

I'm just missing a "Groups"-feature to connect with more people and a better way to send direct messages to other members.

SimleuqiR

modulaire said:
After playing with + for a day a like it very much.

I'm just missing a "Groups"-feature to connect with more people and a better way to send direct messages to other members.

groups.google.com

All Google needs to do is tie up the services neatly, but they already have an infrastructure.
Had not been to Groups in a while, is nice and clean and has a very fresh look to it.

aza

Anyone have any idea what the exact size limit is for playing animated GIFs in the main stream? I've managed to figure out files over 500kb won't work while files under 100kb do.

Over the limit and the GIF just appears as a still frame.

S. L.

aza said:
Anyone have any idea what the exact size limit is for playing animated GIFs in the main stream? I've managed to figure out files over 500kb won't work while files under 100kb do.

Over the limit and the GIF just appears as a still frame.
i think the limit is the same as tumblr.
anything below 500k is fine

-edit acutally no, i have no idea then
-edit or it does, maybe a combo between size and res, 500k seems to work thou

jvalioli

Jamesfrom818 said:
I think Google couldn't find a way to shut down the invite work around so they just said fuck it and opened her up.
They are opening and closing it so that not everyone is joining at once I believe.

Mik2121

JCX said:
Two questions:

1) How do I invite people?

2) Is there a gaf group?
1) Via e-mail using the "Invite friends" button on the right side of the site. But right now that's turned off so you won't be able to see the button.

2) There aren't groups on Google+. At least for now.

Beaten like Facebook when it comes to privacy.

aza

S. L. said:
i think the limit is the same as tumblr.
anything below 500k is fine

-edit acutally no, i have no idea then
-edit or it does, maybe a combo between size and res, 500k seems to work thou

Thanks, I think I'll try different size and res combinations at around the 500kb mark and see what works.

sun-drop

have been using it today and while just added a few people so far .... i think it's pretty awesome.

awesome in terms of managing people .... i mean it just flat out destroys facebook in terms of making it easy to share with only specific groups.

so much so i have sent invite to my folks, with no fear they will ever see shit i wanna only be sharing with mates. sure you can set up lists in FB ..but man ... takes me a while to even find the setting page to do that usually on FB .

with G+ i don't have to mess around with "what yr page looks liek to this group" ..i just click on that circle's stream ... instant win.

the andriod app is pretty sweet, good integration via the gallery, can choose which circle to share to etc ...

only think i'm not loving is the huddles, although i'm probably looking at it too much as a twitter rival ..when actually it's more a private msg/txt like system, aimed at the circles. streamlined group txting i spose .... every one in a circle will see the messages from each other person right? ..thats a really efficient way to com with a group. better than txting.

so yeh .... i like it.

Circle me will bring the extra functionality to circles, allowing you to join circles by your interest. That'd be the easiest way for us to have a GAF circle... Click for a private beta invite

For now, I've been creating a "MicroGAF" circle - it's about 110 people strong so far. Within this MicroGAF stream, I posted a message saying "reply to this so that people know to add you to their personal GAF circles" - by adding everyone who replied, I gained a lot of members to my GAF circle. I also was notified every time it got shared by someone, and was able to see all the people who commented on that share, giving me more and more people for the MicroGAF circle. Obviously, once someone was added to my MicroGAF circle, they then got to see the other people who had replied to that post and were able to add and share independently with them to accumulate a GAF circle of their own.

Anyone who's not on my MicroGAF, search for thisisgil in plus and I'll link you in. It's a little viral, but we seem to have a lot of decent GAF discussion going between us on there, with posts about the Steam sale, Civ V, facebook games etc...

JCX

Thanks for the help. I think adding/deleting people from circles is my favorite part. The animation is nice.

Enco

Really really liking things. Managed to get 3 people I know on to it so far. I'm scouting for others on facebook haha.

It's so pretty :p

edit: and the notifications button trumps that of facebook's by so much

SimleuqiR

Love the +username thing!!

It's like Twitter's Direct Message, but better! In Twitter you can't DM multiple people AFAIK. In G+ I was able to "+username" three friends of mine, and the post on the stream was only accessible by them. Also another friend of mine couldn't see the post in my stream (wall) since he was not included. Mind you, all of them are in the same Circle.
3AQmK.gif

This is awesome!!

ocadman

SimleuqiR said:
Love the +username thing!!

It's like Twitter's Direct Message, but better! In Twitter you can't DM multiple people AFAIK. In G+ I was able to "+username" three friends of mine, and the post on the stream was only accessible by them. Also another friend of mine couldn't see the post in my stream (wall) since he was not included. Mind you, all of them are in the same Circle.
3AQmK.gif

This is awesome!!

Holy shit. That is awesome!

Enco

Gaaraz said:
Whats the +username thing? Does it mean you can do like plus.google.com/Gaaraz?
You can make a post and tag someone in it like Facebook/Twitter. You can make it so only they see the post or just so they know it's directed at them.

Enco

SimleuqiR said:
You guys should try it. There is pretty much no need for "messages" with the tag system.
Just did. That's true. The only plus to messages is that it's more organised.

Top Bottom