• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Google+ |OT| A New Social Network

kehs

Banned
nVidiot_Whore said:
If you want the OP to read like false advertising, so be it. I don't even have a Facebook account, and plan on at least trying Google+.. so don't mistake me as some Facebook fanboy.. I'm a fanboy of the truth.. and this entire forum is starting to annoy me how often the truth is ignored for exaggeration and misinformation in almost every thread... hell.. half the thread titles about "news stories" contain lies. At least "Official Threads" should be immune to that IMO.

I agree with nvidiot. First post of OTs should be about the topic at hand and nothing else.

Billen said:
Sounds a bit messy is you want to share with people in different circles when some are members of both.

Really?

Type in post

Select Circles

Hit Share

Anyone who is in more than one circle will only see one post from you.

xtop

maybe i'm doing it wrong, but i don't see how i can create a list of people, and only show the post to those people (in facebook). i have options of who i can share with, but nothing like circles. at least, nothing anywhere as close as easy to

jayb

I agree with nVidiot that the OP wording should be modified to be more clear.

Both Facebook lists and G+ Circles are easy to use and provide the same ability to tag a group of people, it's just that G+ Circles are more prominent and begs to be used.

As far as features, they seem pretty much the same - with the exception that you can add non G+ users to Circles, but can't with FB lists.

Copernicus said:
I think the difference is that in Facebook, the list idea is an afterthought that was added on only recently.

With G+ the entire sharing aspect revolves around sharing to specific circles.

Your first sentence is meaningless. Facebook Lists pre-date Google+.

Your second sentence makes a vague abstract claim about the difference in functionality.

I'd like a clear picture or the functional differences, not the same marketing repeated to me.

Crazyorloco

nVidiot_Whore said:
Create a list.. add people... when making a post, choose those people from the dropdown provided...

I honestly don't know how to even make a list on facebook. On G+ it's much easier to do such things. There's a button right on the top of the screen for circles.

xtop

nVidiot_Whore said:

Your second sentence makes a vague abstract claim about the difference in functionality.

I'd like a clear picture or the functional differences, not the same marketing repeated to me.

how do i use lists properly? when i'm making a post i have the option of sharing with the following:

everyone
friends of friends
friends only
customize

inside of customize i can choose between friends of friends, friends only, only me and specific people. only there can i break it down to individual people.

unless i'm completely and utterly blind about it working more like circles?

kehs

Banned
nVidiot_Whore said:

Compare gmail and yahoo mail.

They're both email services, but they are on entirely different levels in term of functionality.

Vinci

Danish
xtop said:
how do i use lists properly? when i'm making a post i have the option of sharing with the following:

everyone
friends of friends
friends only
customize

inside of customize i can choose between friends of friends, friends only, only me and specific people. only there can i break it down to individual people.

No, I see the same thing, though my Facebook mastery is less than fully mature.

Ploid 3.0

So I waited 2 days, still can't get in from the invite. In the email I just click the guy's picture to take me to his google+ page, then I click on +you to try to go to mine. Is that how you supposed to activate? Keeps saying it's full on that page. I also click "learn more" from the email and the same result as +you.

On the guy's google+ page there's no view, or comment. I can expand his message threads and such.

jayb

xtop said:

everyone
friends of friends
friends only
customize

http://www.facebook.com/help/?page=768

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
uBY3N.png

Here is whats going on.

I use Chrome, Google needs integrate the GoogleBar into the browser itself. See how I have it set up? I have pinned tabs for all their services so I'm able to reach them quickly whenever I feel like, no matter where I am on the web. It achieves effectively the same thing, but its redundant when I'm inside the actual services. They need to integrate this bar into chrome and keep the apps running at all times.

It would also be amazing if they brought instant upload to the Mac. They could just make a little service that monitors a pictures folder and uploads them instantly. Mhmm, that would be the life.

kamorra

Fuck Cancer
Do we have a list or something for adding GAF members to your circles? I only have one GAF member in my circle. :(

kehs

Banned
Jtwo said:
uBY3N.png

Here is whats going on.

I use Chrome, Google needs integrate the GoogleBar into the browser itself. See how I have it set up? I have pinned tabs for all their services so I'm able to reach them quickly whenever I feel like, no matter where I am on the web. It achieves effectively the same thing, but its redundant when I'm inside the actual services. They need to integrate this bar into chrome and keep the apps running at all times.

It would also be amazing if they brought instant upload to the Mac. They could just make a little service that monitors a pictures folder and uploads them instantly. Mhmm, that would be the life.

Not sure if you know, but you can click gmail/reader/+Jeff to take you to those places...

=P

Billen

Banned
Copernicus said:
Really?

Type in post

Select Circles

Hit Share

Anyone who is in more than one circle will only see one post from you.

Haven't tried it yet, so I had no idea it was that easy. Sounds cleaner than I thought. Looking forward to trying this Wave 2.0.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Copernicus said:
Not sure if you know, but you can click gmail/reader/+Jeff to take you to those places...

=P
Yeah, but when I leave Google's realm they disappear. They don't follow me everywhere like the tabs do. If the GoogleBar was a part of chrome, I could see it while I use NeoGAF.

kehs

Banned
Jtwo said:
Yeah, but when I leave Google's realm they disappear. They don't follow me everywhere like the tabs do. If the GoogleBar was a part of chrome, I could see it while I use NeoGAF.

True, but why are you leaving google servers?

incomprehensible!

Crazyorloco said:
I honestly don't know how to even make a list on facebook. On G+ it's much easier to do such things. There's a button right on the top of the screen for circles.

Yes, that is one of the actual functional differences. Google puts that functionality right on the main page.. For Facebook, you have to choose "Edit friends."

Then it's right there:

facebook-make-friend-list-1.png

So that is one difference.. you have to click once for G+.. twice for Facebook.

And of course, on Facebook.. you'd have to request friends in the first place.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Copernicus said:
True, but why are you leaving google servers?

incomprehensible!
I was just thinking about how weird it would be if G+ had a proxy webbrowsing service inside of it. So you could really sign in anywhere and get the exact same experience.

Enco

nVidiot_Whore said:
Sure.

But you can target posts, pictures, etc. to specific lists of people in Facebook... people appear completely ignorant of this.

And the OP appears ignorant of this fact. In the section comparing Facebook to G+ they say "Instead of sharing everything with everyone you can"... Yet.. you can control what you post to whom in Facebook.

It should be changed and more accurately reflect the differences between the 2 services when it comes to privacy.
Feel free to write an edited section of the op you're not happy with and I'll look at updating it.

Glad they're reading the feedback and constantly changing things. I'm hopeful for it being a much improved experience within a couple of weeks.

Enco said:
Feel free to write an edited section of the op you're not happy with and I'll look at updating it.

Sure.

While functionally Google Plus and Facebook have similar abilities to handle the "Privacy" of the information you post on their services, Google has designed all of Plus around the idea that you will share most information with a target subset of your "friends" and has built the service from the ground up around this approach.

The way you add a "Friend" in Google+ is by adding them to a "Circle", and all options for posting content on Google+ include the ability to filter who can see your content by way of these circles. From the start each of your friends are categorized in a way that allows you to specify what you want them to see. Facebook provides similar functionality, that many are unaware of, because it requires you edit an already existing group of "Friends" into "Lists", and options for sharing content with specific lists are less prominently displayed in the user interface.

I dunno.. something like that?

Just for the shpeil on privacy though.. I'd also say that you could highlight the "Feedback" mechanism in your comparison.. Google appears to be way more open to feedback and designing the service around it's users needs.. I'd say that's a HUGE plus over Facebook.. which appears to be based around keeping things the same and only adding functionality when it's outright demanded, or people are expressing serious concerns.

Google+ Hangouts are awesome.

One thing: one of my buddies is on a macbook pro running 10.4, but he can't run Chrome or the "hangout" video camera software. It's really weird. I've done some googling and I found that 10.4.11 doesn't support google chrome? Any suggestions?

EDIT: We can see him, but he can't see us now. This is odd.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Tell him to update his software. Though, I never upgraded to Snow Leopard so I'm not really one to talk.

Copernicus said:
Anyone find a way to unmute posts yet?

I muted something I'd like to get back to. =(
They need to add search et al. And maybe the ability to label posts and links and stuff. And then tie + and Gmail together to one communication hub. I'd probably cum if they ever do that. Efficiency is my g-spot.

wario

not sure if posted

a google engineer posted a video on her google+ page saying two updates to google+ coming within the week:

-'limited' posts can't be re-shared publicly

-stream option to display posts from the people you're close to

nVidiot_Whore said:
Sure.

I dunno.. something like that?

Just for the shpeil on privacy though.. I'd also say that you could highlight the "Feedback" mechanism in your comparison.. Google appears to be way more open to feedback and designing the service around it's users needs.. I'd say that's a HUGE plus over Facebook.. which appears to be based around keeping things the same and only adding functionality when it's outright demanded, or people are expressing serious concerns.
What you say is true, but LOL @ Google meeting the users needs.

I'm a HUGE Google user but they hardly take care of the users.

- Voice
- Goggles
- Maps

Have hundreds of people complaining about single issues on their forums and they never do anything about it. That's not even counting the rest of their products, just the ones I use frequently (Though unfortunately I can't use Goggles now that I've moved to WP7)

foodtaster said:
What you say is true, but LOL @ Google meeting the users needs.

I'm a HUGE Google user but they hardly take care of the users.

- Voice
- Goggles
- Maps

Have hundreds of people complaining about single issues on their forums and they never do anything about it. That's not even counting the rest of their products, just the ones I use frequently (Though unfortunately I can't use Goggles now that I've moved to WP7)

Well.. none of those features have a built in extensive feedback mechanism. It's a guess at this point, but they APPEAR to be putting more of a focus on feedback.. not sure why they'd bother coding such an extensive system if they weren't intending on using the feedback.

At the very least I think it deserves a mention in the OP, but you are right in that it isn't proven to actually matter.

kehs

Banned
Something that has more less gone unnoticed is the album limit of G+:

http://www.androidpolice.com/2011/07/01/picasa-now-has-unlimited-storage-for-google-users-sort-of/

Basically anything you upload is not counted toward your Picasa 1GB storage limit if you upload through G+.

One caveat is that anything bigger than 2048x2048 will be sized down to that size. (about 3 megapixels)

If you want to upload unadultered images, just do it through picasa, but it'll count toward your GB limit, unless it's smaller than 800x800.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
It actually is pretty shitty you can't get the picture out of Google+ though. I took a photo intending to just drop it into imgur from G+ and couldn't do it.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
gcubed said:
seriously? you went wayyyy up the cool GAF list for linking the aquabats
Just watchin' the dating game.

kehs

Banned
Jtwo said:
It actually is pretty shitty you can't get the picture out of Google+ though. I took a photo intending to just drop it into imgur from G+ and couldn't do it.

What about a browser extension?

----------------

They need to tie sparks into feeds, as well as add a starring system similar to gmail.

Question: Is it possible to link your Twitter? Right now, it seems you can only link Buzz, and quite frankly, no one uses that anymore. And I'd rather not reactivate it just so it can link my Twitter posts.

SimleuqiR

Jtwo said:
Did you tried going through Picasa? It my work there.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
SimleuqiR said:
Did you tried going through Picasa? It my work there.
Yeah, I had to go to the crazy picasa command center where there is every photo I've ever posted to my blog from the last 6 years. I've never really liked picasa.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Every few hours, I F5 the G+ page, hoping I can finally cash in on my invite, but alas.

Forever alone.

Dork Knight said:
Question: Is it possible to link your Twitter? Right now, it seems you can only link Buzz, and quite frankly, no one uses that anymore. And I'd rather not reactivate it just so it can link my Twitter posts.
God, that sounds terrible and exactly why Buzz failed. It was just reposts of everyone you follow on Twitter. I hope they don't incorporate this feature.

Expendable. said:
God, that sounds terrible and exactly why Buzz failed. It was just reposts of everyone you follow on Twitter. I hope they don't incorporate this feature.

Buzz failed because it was Twitter with a different name.

Facebook links to your Twitter and it works great for me. If Google wants this to work, they need to make it so you can link your social networks together. I don't wanna copy and paste stuff I write on Twitter into my circles -- what's the point of that?

If I can't link my Twitter...I don't see myself ever posting anything on Google+.

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
Doesn't have to be a buzz recreation, but some form of communication with google reader would be appreciated. I share tons through that.

kehs

Banned
Buzz failed because they didn't define it properly. They let everyone define it instead.

It actually ties in perfectly with G+ because it's has a place to live now. It's a real world local twitter that's tied to your profile that you care about. With the circles you specify who sees it which alleviates the "everyone knows where I am" issue.

------

Google decided to redesign again:

1sGJIpVMfe8hkDJxR9DUpGiMisH3FU0k.jpeg

(1997)

Top Bottom