• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Google+ |OT| A New Social Network

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I wonder if they still send out emails to that subscriber list..

Can you make a post on someone's page like "Happy Birthday" and not have it shared on everyone's homepage? No problem with people that go to that person's page reading the comment but rather annoying that it broadcasts or "shares" it with everyone, even people that don't know the person on Facebook.

kehs

Banned
Squall ASF said:
Can you make a post on someone's page like "Happy Birthday" and not have it shared on everyone's homepage? No problem with people that go to that person's page reading the comment but rather annoying that it broadcasts or "shares" it with everyone, even people that don't know the person on Facebook.

If it's public it will show from the person who created the post. Otherwise it will show only to the people who are included in the share. There's really no "page" or "wall" at all. Just like there's no "internet". Posts only show up for those who they are directed towards.

Just found out you can remove individual comments from a thread. Awesome.

Squall ASF said:
You don't post on peoples own pages
You simply post from your own page and tag the people you want to view it
So if it's Happy birthday you can write the message and select just that person to see the message, they'll be informed of your message to them, which is in your stream, but no one else will see it if you wish, or you can choose 'extended circles' so only people close to you can read it

If it's a more general message, or say, some gaming news, you can select your GAF circle only to view it, so you make the message on your stream and tag GAF to see if, then everyone in your GAF circle can see it and no one else

Same with family messages etc, it's all posted on your own stream and you select who sees which messages from it

Hmm interesting change. So many people are used to browsing other pages and absorbing everything on their wall. Now people can only obtain what's handed to them. Will definitely improve privacy versus FB's setup and people can no longer play detective with information that's none of their business. Sounds promising.

As long as you remember that you're not posting "to" anyone you'll be fine. You're posting to your own stream and just choosing who can see/respond to that post.

When posting you simply select at the bottom which circles, individuals or combination of the two will see the post.

Croc

Banned
Does anyone know if you can rearrange your circles? I have enough to where under my stream section there is now a "more" button I have to click to see my other circles. The ones under "more" are the only ones that even have any people in them right now.

kehs

Banned
So....I'm thinking there should be a "Get Plused" thread for people to share their profiles or turn this into one?

kamorra

Fuck Cancer
Copernicus said:
So....I'm thinking there should be a "Get Plused" thread for people to share their profiles or turn this into one?

Yeah, this. We need some kind of GAF circle/group.

ocadman

Has anyone been able to send a post to non Google+ emails? I'm trying to send one to my friend and it's not working. He's not getting anything. It was working earlier.

There's like a GAF post people send out within their own GAF circles for people to comment on so other people can add GAfers to their own circles, i've added around 15 to my GAF circle this way so far

ocadman said:
Has anyone been able to send a post to non Google+ emails? I'm trying to send one to my friend and it's not working. He's not getting anything. It was working earlier.
The invites have stopped atm I believe

Shurs

Question:

My profile shows that 9 people have me in their circles, but it appears, based on notifications, that 18 people have me in their circles. What's up with that?

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
BlazingDarkness said:
There's like a GAF post people send out within their own GAF circles for people to comment on so other people can add GAfers to their own circles, i've added around 15 to my GAF circle this way so far
Wait, how does it work? I want to get more gaffers on my list, and more importantly want to figure out who everyone is. So confusing going to RL names.

kehs

Banned
Jtwo said:
Wait, how does it work? I want to get more gaffers on my list, and more importantly want to figure out who everyone is. So confusing going to RL names.

I think post to your gaf circle, and everyone comments. Then you see which people that commented you already have in your circle and not. Just sent one out.

I'm curious to know whether G+ supports the nickname field from profile in their search

kamorra

Fuck Cancer
Copernicus said:
I think post to your gaf circle, and everyone comments. Then you see which people that commented you already have in your circle and not. Just sent one out.

I'm curious to know whether G+ supports the nickname field from profile in their search

But how would people that are not in my GAF circle see that I made a post there? I'm confused.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
kamorra said:
But how would people that are not in my GAF circle see that I made a post there? I'm confused.
Was wondering the same but figured there is some mechanism similar to retweeting that I didn't know about until then.

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
Should we have a public G+ profile thread for GAF so everyone can post their profiles (like the Twitter thread)? Not much activity with the 20 or so people I've friended. Plus, it's so easy to divide everyone up, don't have to worry about weirdo gaffers stealing my personal info.

ocadman

kamorra said:

Seems like its more you can see whom they shared the post with and add them to your GAF circle? I'm trying to figure it all out too.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
SpeedingUptoStop said:
Should we have a public G+ profile thread for GAF so everyone can post their profiles (like the Twitter thread)? Not much activity with the 20 or so people I've friended. Plus, it's so easy to divide everyone up, don't have to worry about weirdo gaffers stealing my personal info.
Yeah we should just do whatever makes it easiest to find eachother. Maybe even like a google docs or something we could pm around?

kehs

Banned
Okay Okay I think I got this figured out, lol. If you see a post from someone in your gaf circle, reshare it to your gaf circle and do a +1. You'll see a list of people who plused one the post. Then you add the ones who are not in your gaf circle.

This won't work for people who do not allow +1 to show their names.

I also found this from eariler in the thread if you want to display your handle to your gaf group:

thespot84 said:
Unrelated: did anyone mention the 'other name' trick in this thread? I saw it on google+...

make a circle called gaf or neogaf or whatever, then go to your profile to edit it, and on the bottom of the main page go to 'other names' there you can put in your gaf handle, and choose to share it only with the your gaf circle. Now you should appear as your gaf handle to gaf...

EDIT: at least i think that's how it works :-|

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
This is so confusing, I'm just gonna wait for someone else to figure it out. I think Kamora has a good idea, why don't we just directly link invisibly here in this thread? That solves the lurker problem and we don't have deal with some extended circle manipulation bullshit.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
DarkFlow83 said:
So are any gafers sending out invites for this, or did you all just get lucky?
Go here.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=435702

A lot of times there are threads for things already, you just gotta search them. It's bullshit we gotta rely on google to do it, but its better than nothing.

If you use chrome or FF, there are a number of ways to integrate GAF search directly in the browser. Its badass. Whenever I think of something I want to talk about on GAF, I just type "ng [subject]" into my chrome search bar and it provides me with a list of relevant GAF threads.

kehs

Banned
I just sent a feedback to google for them to allow "other nickname" to supercede Real name.

I urge you guys to do the same

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Copernicus said:
I just sent a feedback to google for them to allow "other nickname" to supercede Real name.

I urge you guys to do the same
Doesn't that kind of like, get away from the point of G+ though. I mean, if you don't want people to see your real name, don't friend them. I have a public twitter account under a pseudonym just for that purpose. Nobody I know really uses twitter so I have it completely open to the entire internet to get more people to interact with. But I don't display my full name and GPS coordinates.

SpeedingUptoStop

Just fill in your "Other Names" section under your About tab with your aliases and make them viewable to everyone, don't need to change your main name.

kehs

Banned
Jtwo said:
Doesn't that kind of like, get away from the point of G+ though. I mean, if you don't want people to see your real name, don't friend them. I have a public twitter account under a pseudonym just for that purpose. Nobody I know really uses twitter so I have it completely open to the entire internet to get more people to interact with. But I don't display my full name and GPS coordinates.

Not necessarily. It would just make it easier to see things from online contacts that you normally only associate with a screen name, while at the same time keeping you inside of G+ for the same information. The other name is applied per circle.

SpeedingUptoStop said:
Just fill in your "Other Names" section under your About tab with your aliases and make them viewable to everyone, don't need to change your main name.

That name only appears in the about section though. If your just looking through your main stream you'd never know who the post was from.

PS, the roll call works.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I completely agree a nickname function should be available.

SpeedingUptoStop

Yea, I suppose that makes sense. I was just talking in getting gaffers to recognize each other easily, but a function where the nickname supersedes the Real Name for certain circles would make sense. It would be a great blend of the impersonal (twitter) and personal (FB).

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Achtius said:
They have it. go under profile :p
Well, I don't want to use it! I thought copernicus was bitching that they didn't have it. I'm completely stoned right now.

Wait a second do they really? Im trying to take out my last name it wont let me.

kehs

Banned
So I just realized why I couldn't find an muted post earlier.....that post was erased lol. The muted posts will show up in that persons stream.

BlazingDarkness said:
Exactly
You can essentially have a full stream of comments on your stream that only you and the other person can see

That is pretty awesome. I like that better than having a separate area for personal messages.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Finally added a picture, but now its not showing up.
Can you guys see it?

..not sure why I'm asking this on GAF instead of +.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Sitting here watching G+ refresh in real time is making me PINE for realtime gmail.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
pffft, should have bought a computer with a return key.

Top Bottom