• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Google+ |OT| A New Social Network

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Jtwo said:
Go here.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=435702

A lot of times there are threads for things already, you just gotta search them. It's bullshit we gotta rely on google to do it, but its better than nothing.

If you use chrome or FF, there are a number of ways to integrate GAF search directly in the browser. Its badass. Whenever I think of something I want to talk about on GAF, I just type "ng [subject]" into my chrome search bar and it provides me with a list of relevant GAF threads.

How do you do this in chrome mang?

Also, what do I need to tell people to add me on G+? My name? My email?

kehs

Banned
Timedog said:

Your email, your full name, or a link to your profile.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Copernicus said:
Your email, your full name, or a link to your profile.
have gaf'ers been adding each other? is there a gaf group or something?

Can I make my own custom URL for my profile page?

Rhythmic

So is it still not possible to invite people? Somebody said just add peoples email to a circle but I've been trying that and people are telling me it isn't sending them an invite?

gcubed

So I posted about the weird picasa storage thing yesterday and it turns out 15 minute videos and pics under 2048x2048 don't count towards your cap

survivor

Banned
So it seems like they rolled out the new Share features. Every time you try to share something you get a message reminding to be careful about who you share the post with. Plus you can't share a limited post publicly.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Copernicus said:
Gmail is realtime for me...

?
You know it's possible that in my entire existence on Gmail that I've just never been on the page the second I get an email.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Timedog said:

ok man here is what you do

NlXQ4.png

at the bottom of that list should be an "add search engine" segment

type it in exactly like my picture, and in the last section that is cutoff in the picture paste this in

Code:
http://www.google.com/search?q=site:neogaf.com+intitle:%s

And you should be good to go! umm, you have to press space after typing in NG.

Looks like Google Reader (at least on an account with no subscriptions) now takes into consideration what your circles like to read. The feed is now full of things like game news, xkcd, and articles that are straight out of neogaf threads.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Jtwo said:

NlXQ4.png

type it in exactly like my picture, and in the last section that is cutoff in the picture paste this in

Code:

Thanks Mr. Mister. Radiawesome.

DarkFlow

Banned
Jtwo said:

NlXQ4.png

Code:

Thanks for this, very useful.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Here's some sort of invite loophole my FB friend used so that she could send me an invite. I'm sure GAF is aware, but just in case I'll post it here.

"Yay! Ok, here's the invite loophole.
1. add contact's emails to a "circle" that you will use as your invite circle.
2. click the "share" button at the top of the screen. It will ask if you want to share whatever you type with people in your circles.
3. click the circle of the contacts that you want to invite.
4. share the message with those contacts.
5. contacts will get an email. they will need to follow the link about the comments.
6. if it doesn't ask them to sign up, have them keep trying periodically."

sun-drop

wario said:
nope. you can't share comment trails. we tried that a couple days ago with the GAF meet-up stream. only the original post you reshare gets shown.

hmmm another thing .... what if some one posts something to a circle i'm in ...i see it ..and comment .... who see's that comment?

only the people in my mates circle ? so quite possibly not any one from my own cirle of friends ?

hmmm ... i guess if i want a wider audience for a post sent to me i can reshare it ...

cool, but this is gonna do some people's heads in big time. lol

kehs

Banned
sun-drop said:
hmmm another thing .... what if some one posts something to a circle i'm in ...i see it ..and comment .... who see's that comment?

only the people in my mates circle ? so quite possibly not any one from my own cirle of friends ?

hmmm ... i guess if i want a wider audience for a post sent to me i can reshare it ...

cool, but this is gonna do some people's heads in big time. lol

If you post in someones thread, the only people that see it are people from the circle it was posted in.

You can see who that is by hitting the "Public/Limited" link in the header of the post.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I feel like such a fucking tool right now.
I have chrome fullscreen on an external monitor at all times, so I noticed the exact second Vic G. started hanging out. ..I got up to put on a collared shirt first and went back to click hangout and it was full. Ugh... the internet..

Polari

Jtwo said:
I feel like such a fucking tool right now.
I have chrome fullscreen on an external monitor at all times, so I noticed the exact second Vic G. started hanging out. ..I got up to put on a collared shirt first and went back to click hangout and it was full. Ugh... the internet..

A collared shirt? Good move, I hear Vic G. kicks anyone wearing a crew neck, hahaha.

kehs

Banned
wario said:
haha, i saw that too. is there a limit on the number of people that can join a hangout?

I don't think they're techinally is, but I'm sure you can kill any data connection trying to push the actual data through.

Garcia

What a strange phenomena I've been experiencing lately. Turns out that a good portion of the people I thought were originally GAFfers are in fact Redditors.... They're still cool tho' but I will have to filter down my circles later.

SimleuqiR

Garcia said:
What a strange phenomena I've been experiencing lately. Turns out that a good portion of the people I thought were originally GAFfers are in fact Redditors.... They're still cool tho' but I will have to filter down my circles later.
Gaf and Reddit crossing swords! Eeewww

Fireblend

Banned
Garcia said:
reddit is pretty awesome, goes great with gaf.

sun-drop

the only bummer is not being able to easily see a message history between you and another person with out trolling through your stream looking for that orig post.

just in perspective of tagging in some one ... as opposed to FB's message option, ie inbox etc.

i guess google would rather have us email each other via gmail ..

sun-drop

and ..it needs an option to limit certain circles from seeing the members of certain other cirles of yours.

at the mo i can only see the option to limit all circle member listings from ppl not in yr cirles ..not particular ones ... ?

kehs

Banned
sun-drop said:
the only bummer is not being able to easily see a message history between you and another person with out trolling through your stream looking for that orig post.

just in perspective of tagging in some one ... as opposed to FB's message option, ie inbox etc.

i guess google would rather have us email each other via gmail ..

You could make a circle with just that person...kinda wierd though.

Willectro

Banned
My buddy and I had invites we couldn't use yesterday, but I got in by using the link in the invite email a few minutes ago... I don't see what all the hype is about. This has a ways to go to compete with Facebook.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
will52 said:
My buddy and I had invites we couldn't use yesterday, but I got in by using the link in the invite email a few minutes ago... I don't see what all the hype is about. This has a ways to go to compete with Facebook.
facebook is for tween girls and grandmas. aol 2.0

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I hate to keep on whining here about this, but... Folks who got their invite AFTER me are able to use theirs, but I got mine Wednesday and still can't do shit with it. Am I missing something? Any advice / commiseration would be helpful, hah.

Phoenix

I'm trying to figure out how to get in the GAF circle and add others to my GAF circle. There should be some way to tag yourself so that others can find you based on that tag.

Phoenix

omg.kittens said:
I hate to keep on whining here about this, but... Folks who got their invite AFTER me are able to use theirs, but I got mine Wednesday and still can't do shit with it. Am I missing something? Any advice / commiseration would be helpful, hah.

I'm in but I have yet to be able to add new people. Keeps telling me that Invites are off.

jvalioli

Invites are turned off and on randomly.

edit: Er not randomly but they are turned off when they hit a certain number to keep a continuous stream of users.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Well, I had a GRAND time hanging out last night. That was super fun.

X-Frame

Is there anything stopping Facebook from implementing Hangout and Circles clones?

If that happens, where would Google+ still have any relevancy? Just curious ..

jvalioli

X-Frame said:
Is there anything stopping Facebook from implementing Hangout and Circles clones?

If that happens, where would Google+ still have any relevancy? Just curious ..
Facebook just made a deal with Skype to bring video chat to Facebook. I'm sure its related to Google+ launching.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Things I like so far:
- Circles!
- Animated GIFs! Wish they animated in the thumbnail, tho.
- I can set my gender to Other! Custom gender descriptions would be better, tho.
- You can follow random people and not have it be weird. The G+ culture falls somewhere between Facebook and Twitter in this regard, and it's perfect.

alekth said:
Haha, I love the "other" gender description as well. Though, yeah, they could have just made it completely custom. Also, it seems to be one of those things one cannot make invisible at all?
Ooh, good point. That should definitely be an option.

Garcia

I really like omg.kittens iniciative of using our GAF:nickname on our profiles. I already updated so you can see mine as well.

Top Bottom