• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Google+ |OT| A New Social Network

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Garcia said:
I really like omg.kittens iniciative of using our GAF:nickname on our profiles. I already updated so you can see mine as well.
Thanks! I stole the idea from Copernicus, tho. :)

Enco

I hope a proper groups feature comes about. If so, that would be a much easier way for gaf to get together.

Reader and calendar integration along with that would make things perfect.

And quoted for new page:
Enco said:
Vic Gundotra - Yesterday 7:05 PM - Public
We're listening. And making changes. Daily.

Sweeeet :D

kehs

Banned
omg.kittens said:
Thanks! I stole the idea from Copernicus, tho. :)

With any luck they'll accept my feedback to apply different circles to different nicknames, as well as adding the nickname in the stream feeds.

You hear me vic!

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Is there a way to go back and share something to more circles than you did initially?
Like, if originally I shared it to just my GAF group can I go back and add my friend circle to it later?

Oh yeah who was the other person I was video chatting with last night? I know one of the them was ryaaaan14, but I'm not sure of the other dude's GAF handle. It was nice to meet you! Whoever you were!

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Jtwo said:
Is there a way to go back and share something to more circles than you did initially?
Like, if originally I shared it to just my GAF group can I go back and add my friend circle to it later?

Oh yeah who was the other person I was video chatting with last night? I know one of the them was ryaaaan14, but I'm not sure of the other dude's GAF handle. It was nice to meet you! Whoever you were!
You can + people into a thread, but I don't think this works for entire groups yet.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
So there's a UFC event streaming into Facebook right now. I know they have been available on YouTube previously as well. And I just realized how amazing it would be to watch live events on YouTube in Hangouts.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
AstroLad said:
So there's a UFC event streaming into Facebook right now. I know they have been available on YouTube previously as well. And I just realized how amazing it would be to watch live events on YouTube in Hangouts.
Yeah, damn. Or Netflix parties!

AstroLad said:

I posted a Q yesterday about hangouts and if it was worth me digging out my webcam (bought but never used) and mate of mine replied saying it was, and one of the features he mentioned was everyone in the hangout being able to watch the same youtube video together.

Sounds like what you're mentioning here, but I haven't tried it myself so I can't say for sure.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Monkeylord said:
I posted a Q yesterday about hangouts and if it was worth me digging out my webcam (bought but never used) and mate of mine replied saying it was, and one of the features he mentioned was everyone in the hangout being able to watch the same youtube video together.

Sounds like what you're mentioning here, but I haven't tried it myself so I can't say for sure.
Oh yeah, you all watch YouTube videos together.
Hangout works as advertised — it’s clear Google put a lot of work into it before going live with Plus. Up to 10 people are allowed into a Hangout at one time. (If anyone else wants to join, they are put on a waiting list. But I don’t have that many friends, so that problem never came up.) Whoever is talking at a particular moment is displayed large, in the center of the Hangout window, while the rest of the group is displayed in a row along the bottom. Users can share links through the text chat function, and even watch YouTube videos at the same time — one of Hangout’s niftiest features.
http://www.digitaltrends.com/social-media/google-hands-on-five-awesome-

What I was referring to is that YouTube has live events now too, so ostensibly you could all watch a live event together over Hangouts.

AstroLad said:
What I was referring to is that YouTube has live events now too, so ostensibly you could all watch a live event together over Hangouts.

Provided they don't block it... I get sick of seeing "not available in your country" messages, lol.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Monkeylord said:
Provided they don't block it... I get sick of seeing "not available in your country" messages, lol.
hahah yeah i hear you. i think this is a lot less of an issue with live content because the providers usually elect for wide distribution in those cases

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
if anyone is into mma or euro board games pm me your name and which one(s) . . . looking to beef up those circles a bit :p

Girlfriend seemed to get a new Facebook feature of a sidebar combining chat and feed and it was crap.

If that's the sort of thing Facebook are doing with their UI and usability (don't talk to me about Android app, I LIKE TO REFRESH *uninstall*) then they'll be pushing a chunk of users away.

jvalioli

JonathanEx said:
Girlfriend seemed to get a new Facebook feature of a sidebar combining chat and feed and it was crap.

If that's the sort of thing Facebook are doing with their UI and usability (don't talk to me about Android app, I LIKE TO REFRESH *uninstall*) then they'll be pushing a chunk of users away.
Screenshot? Curious as to what that looks like.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Korey said:
Really? I don't see Google+ doing anything to Facebook. It reminds me of Buzz/Wave
yeah but you've been blabbing about that since this came out. you should go work for facebook's stellar pr team or businessinsider

this is how i feel atm pretty much b/c i've felt this way about fb all along:
Google+ fills a void between public and private, it serves what is likely to be an older demo less interesting in hooking up or hipstering out and more interested in the social utility it provides. That's a good thing.
http://www.avc.com/a_vc/2011/07/why-im-rooting-for-google.html

Korey

AstroLad said:
yeah but you've been blabbing about that since this came out. you should go work for facebook's stellar pr team or businessinsider

this is how i feel atm pretty much b/c i've felt this way about fb all along:

http://www.avc.com/a_vc/2011/07/why-im-rooting-for-google.html
You HOPE it'll be successful, I'm saying I don't SEE it happening based on what I currently am experiencing using it. It's like a lighter, worse version of Facebook with better privacy options. I mean, I'm on my friend's page and we're in mutual circles, and yet there's nowhere indicating me to message or interact with him in any way? Social as hell!

Google+ fills a void between public and private, it serves what is likely to be an older demo less interesting in hooking up or hipstering out and more interested in the social utility it provides. That's a good thing.
They got the demo part right. The target seems to be San Francisco/Silicon Valley people in their 30s. "Less interested in hipstering out"? Google+ seems like it was custom made for hipsters.

Facebook was targeted toward university kids. It'll actually be interesting to see if a social media site designed for old people catches on for the general population.

MrBig

I'm liking the new google ui (that I'm assuming is part of the roleout of this). It's a pretty even compromise between Metro and the ancient 'web 2.0' ui philosophies that google and apple have been using.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Korey said:
You HOPE it'll be successful, I'm saying I don't SEE it happening based on what I currently am experiencing using it. It's like a lighter, worse version of Facebook with better privacy options.
uh i'm not the one who wrote that article hahaha. anyway back to facebook with you. people said aol would last forever too so keep fightin the good fight bro

Jexemad said:
OK, I have been added by dudes whom I don't know ever. How do I stop their posts from appearing in my Stream?
Next to the post is a downward facing arrow. Press it and then press block.

kehs

Banned
Korey said:
You HOPE it'll be successful, I'm saying I don't SEE it happening based on what I currently am experiencing using it. It's like a lighter, worse version of Facebook with better privacy options. I mean, I'm on my friend's page and we're in mutual circles, and yet there's nowhere indicating me to message or interact with him in any way? Social as hell!

They got the demo part right. The target seems to be San Francisco/Silicon Valley people in their 30s. "Less interested in hipstering out"? Google+ seems like it was custom made for hipsters.

Facebook was targeted toward university kids. It'll actually be interesting to see if a social media site designed for old people catches on for the general population.

Direct share, +NameOfPerson. Slides right into your main stream. (Or you could just you know...chat with them in the chat)

Honestly, this is Facebook without the stigma, and they've said as much.

Jexemad said:
OK, I have been added by dudes whom I don't know ever. How do I stop their posts from appearing in my Stream?

Unless you also added them to a circle (which you don't have to do) their posts shouldn't show up in your stream.

Jexemad

videogamer said:
Next to the post is a downward facing arrow. Press it and then press block.
I don't want to do that every time someone I don't know adds me :(
Thanks anyway.

Copernicus said:
Unless you also added them to a circle (which you don't have to do) they're posts shouldn't show up in your stream.
I put them in a circle at first but deleted it later. That's why I'm surprised their posts still show up.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Copernicus said:
Unless you also added them to a circle (which you don't have to do) they're posts shouldn't show up in your stream.
this. it works mostly like twitter followers basically. maybe file a bug

kehs

Banned
Jexemad said:
I don't want to do that every time someone I don't know adds me :(
Thanks anyway.

I put them in a circle at first but deleted it later. That's why I'm surprised their posts still show up.

Ah yeah, the updating isn't as quick as it should be(bugs), I've run into the same thing, but it does work in that matter. A page refresh resolved it for me though.

saelz8

So, this is the real Tom Anderson (Myspace Tom)

I thought it was a fake account at first, but it's actually him.
KuGsj.gif

ezekial45

Banned
Can anyone clear this up for me? When you place another person in your friend circle, does it send them a friend invite or something? Or is this just some twitter-eseque follow option where i can see there posts.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
ezekial45 said:
Can anyone clear this up for me? When you place another person in your friend circle, does it send them a friend invite or something? Or is this just some twitter-eseque follow option where i can see there posts.
It tells them via notification that you have added them and gives them the option to add you to their Circles. By default it also sends them an email but they can turn that off.

kehs

Banned
ezekial45 said:

The latter. There are no "friends". The notice is just a notice that they've added you, not a request.

Think of circles more like buddy lists on a forum rather than friend requests on facebook.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
let's say you add someone and you want them to know who you are too just add them then send them a +[name] message, which is basically like a PM

AstroLad said:
let's say you add someone and you want them to know who you are too just add them then send them a +[name] message, which is basically like a PM
To keep that "conversation" private, you can just answer that conversation as a normal message o you have to answer "+name message"?

kehs

Banned
iKeepPlaying said:
To keep that "conversation" private, you can just answer that conversation as a normal message o you have to answer "+name message"?

Just comment on the post. Up in the header you'll see "Limited", if you click that you can see who can see that particular post. In the case of a direct +User, it's just you two.

Copernicus said:
Just comment on the post. Up in the header you'll see "Limited", if you click that you can see who can see that particular post. In the case of a direct +User, it's just you two.
Thanks.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
And if you REALLY want to keep it private after you post it click on the option and "disable reshare."

survivor

Banned
Wait, you guys are saying +name messages are like private messages, but I remember seeing few posts that had +name. Was it because the person who made them changed the visibility or am I missing something?

Korey

Copernicus said:
Direct share, +NameOfPerson. Slides right into your main stream. (Or you could just you know...chat with them in the chat)

Honestly, this is Facebook without the stigma, and they've said as much.
What? I'm typing +My friend's name and it's not working. Do you type that in the main box or the second box? Do you have to type their entire full name, like "+Jonathan Westingfield"? There doesn't even seem to be autocomplete. I literally cannot figure out how to communicate with an individual on this. Facebook killer indeed.

And as I said, you go to his profile and there's NOTHING directing you to how you can communicate with that person.

Also, you can't even post to that person's wall.

What does "Facebook without the stigma" even mean?

kehs

Banned
Korey said:
What? I'm typing +My friend's name and it's not working. Do you type that in the main box or the second box? Do you have to type their entire full name, like "+Jonathan Westingfield"? There doesn't even seem to be autocomplete.

And as I said, you go to his profile and there's NOTHING directing you to how you can communicate with that person.

Also, you can't even post to that person's wall.

Type your message, then in the field that says "+Add Circle or People to Share With" just start typing their name. It'll autofill to your circles > people in circles > people in profiles.

There is no wall. Every share is tied to the person sharing.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
survivor said:
Wait, you guys are saying +name messages are like private messages, but I remember seeing few posts that had +name. Was it because the person who made them changed the visibility or am I missing something?
well there's lots of ways to use the + functionality. one way is a message shared with no one and you just type into your stream +X. that message will only go to that person.

or lets say you want to make a post go to a group but also to a person outside of that group, then you can share with a Circle (under Add Circles) and also type in +X if you want to add a person.

you can also use + to add people to existing threads. just reply with +X and they will be joined into the thread. i've had several people do this with me where there's some question or whatever i can address.

another distinguishing factor of + is that when you post into a stream, by default the people don't get email notifications, your message will just pop up in their stream if they have added you. but if you + them, the default is email notification. so this can be useful if you are trying to get someone's attention.

among other things it means facebook is less popular than the irs

What? I'm typing +My friend's name and it's not working. Do you type that in the main box or the second box? Do you have to type their entire full name, like "+Jonathan Westingfield"? There doesn't even seem to be autocomplete. I literally cannot figure out how to communicate with an individual on this. Facebook killer indeed.
there is autocomplete literally from the moment you start typing the first letter. if it doesn't work for you, then file a bug. that's what the feedback and limited beta state are for

Top Bottom