• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Google+ |OT| A New Social Network

SimleuqiR

Copernicus said:
Just change your name to adam, its what google wants.

Hello Adam

hal.jpg

SimleuqiR

Baconbitz said:
So, since facebook is blocking you from importing stuff from there is there another way to do it?

Through Yahoo Contacts. Import your FB contacts into Yahoo, then export them to a file.
I did this a few months back to properly update my Google Contacts.

Angry Fork

So I haven't tried this yet or looked up any info about it. Just tidbits here and there. Final GAF verdict: Real competitor to facebook or just meh? Or does it need more time?

bengraven said:
Anyone cool on Google+ yet? Devs, news types, writers, celebs, whatever?

I've got some friends of mine...and Notch. That's it. lol

Soulja Boy, Neil Gaiman, Ashton Kutcher and Mark Cuban are the only "cool" types in my circles.

Cudder

Pardon me, I haven't been keeping up with the invite situation since I last heard they closed invitations due to high demand. Did they ever re-open them?

SimleuqiR

Angry Fork said:
So I haven't tried this yet or looked up any info about it. Just tidbits here and there. Final GAF verdict: Real competitor to facebook or just meh? Or does it need more time?

It's won me over due to it's integration with Google services, and I like the Circles comcept. The Android app is amazing - can't wait for a feature rich Tablet version. So it's definitely no "Meh" by any means.

In the end only time will tell how successful it will be.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
RoadHazard said:
There's gonna be an iPhone app, but it most likely won't have Instant Upload. Pretty sure Apple wouldn't let them do that. (Don't they have their own similar thing?)
I don't remember the official word but that's probably right. In any event, I'm sure they'll make it as easy as possible. Really looking forward to Huddle working with iPhoners though.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Angry Fork said:

It needs more features, for sure, but I think most people here (there are a few exceptions, of course) agree that G+ feels refreshing in a way that FB hasn't in a long, long time. I think it's gonna be great if/when people can be convinced to come on over.

I already spend a lot more time on G+ than I do on Facebook, even though almost none of my friends are on G+ yet. While G+ makes it easier to target updates to different groups of people depending on what you're sharing - thus giving you greater control over your privacy - it also feels a lot more open, what with its Twitter-esque way to follow people and whatnot. I can easily find loads of interesting stuff to read by different people, while FB mostly just bores me nowadays.

SimleuqiR

GK86 said:
Might be a dumb question, but how do you add someone through their Google profile? I don't see anything that says add. I'm on my phone if that makes a difference.

There is a big red button on the top right of his profile that reads "Add to Circles". This is on the desktop version though.

Korey

Angry Fork said:
It's not a real competitor to Facebook in the same way Twitter isn't a real competitor to Facebook.

From what I've experienced and seen, G+ serves a slightly different purpose than Facebook which makes it both better and worse in different areas.

G+ is more content sharing and specific on who you're sharing things with and when, but as a result loses a lot of the minutia of keeping tabs on people in your lives that Facebook offers. G+ is far less social, because you only see things meant for you and might miss out on discovering parts of people's lives that you find interesting but was closed from you because it wasn't "meant" for you.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
SimleuqiR said:
There is a big red button on the top right of his profile that reads "Add to Circles". This is on the desktop version though.

Thank you. It doesn't show up on the phone.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Pretty interesting article from TechCrunch about how G+ is sending a ton of traffic their way already. Publishers take note.

If Google Buzz Is A Black Hole For Sharing Traffic, Google+ Is The Big Bang

Back in March of last year, we noted that Google Buzz, Google’s shiny new social network at the time, was getting smoked in terms of referral traffic sent our way, by a dead man, FriendFeed. It turns out, Google’s own Analytics service was undercounting Buzz because it resides in Gmail, which uses HTTPS, which strips out referral information. In other words, most Buzz traffic could only be inferred, not seen. Still, after months of looking over the data, I’m not convinced that Buzz actually sends any amount of meaningful traffic whatsoever. The same is not true of the newly launched Google+ so far.

Yes, it has only been out for a week at this point (and is still only available to a very limited number of users), but based on what we’re seeing, the social network is already sending a large amount of traffic our way.

How large? Well, since its launch last Tuesday, Google+ has already cracked our top ten referring sites. It currently resides just behind Digg in that timespan. If you narrow that down to just count July so far (a few days after launch, so more users had time to sign up), the numbers are even better. It would already be the number seven referrer, just behind Hacker News. And it’s already a fifth as large as the leading social referrer, facebook.com.
. . . .
Google Buzz was and continues to be a black hole for publishers. But Google+ is a big bang.
http://techcrunch.com/2011/07/05/google-plus-sharing/

Korey said:
It's not a real competitor to Facebook in the same way Twitter isn't a real competitor to Facebook.

From what I've experienced and seen, G+ serves a slightly different purpose than Facebook which makes it both better and worse in different areas.

G+ is more content sharing and specific on who you're sharing things with and when, but as a result loses a lot of the minutia of keeping tabs on people in your lives that Facebook offers. G+ is far less social, because you only see things meant for you and might miss out on discovering parts of people's lives that you find interesting but was closed from you because it wasn't "meant" for you.

Agreed completely. I can't see myself or any of my friends ditching Facebook any time soon. In fact, 80% of my Friends list on Facebook will never set up a G+ account. It's too techy and geeky for the vast majority. Which sucks, because I love G+ aside from the Circles aspect.

kehs

Banned
Freestyler said:
Agreed completely. I can't see myself or any of my friends ditching Facebook any time soon. In fact, 80% of my Friends list on Facebook will never set up a G+ account. It's too techy and geeky for the vast majority. Which sucks, because I love G+ aside from the Circles aspect.

What is there to like about G+ without circles?

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Freestyler said:
and i'd wager if you're like 99% of people you don't give a shit about 80% of your friends list on facebook

jvalioli

Regardless the folks at Twitter are probably very worried. Twitter will probably have to make some significant changes if it doesn't want G+ to make it irrelevant.

Terrell

OK folks, you can stop asking for an invitation. Invites are closed. Period. End of story. Google doesn't want you in right now. Besides, there's a separate thread for your completely futile request.

kehs

Banned
Terrell said:
OK folks, you can stop asking for an invitation. Invites are closed. Period. End of story. Google doesn't want you in right now. Besides, there's a separate thread for your completely futile request.

Invitations are still being sent out, they're algorithm for how many and who gets em has slowed down though. They've said as much.

Terrell

Copernicus said:
Invitations are still being sent out, they're algorithm for how many and who gets em has slowed down though. They've said as much.
What good is an invitation you can't use?

"We've temporarily exceeded our capacity. Please try again soon."

Pretty self-explanatory to me. Tech blogs have already stated that even sent invitations aren't currently working and their invitations don't grant access to the service. Exceeded capacity means that no one else is getting in right now, even if they were invited.

kehs

Banned
So I just realized you can call people out and have jeers and cheers from anyone who wants to chime in.

Make a public post with a mention to them.

Public Post - "+Mom +Best Friend What do you two have to say for yourselves!"

lethial

Reeeeeeee
Terrell said:

Pretty self-explanatory to me. Tech blogs have already stated that even sent invitations aren't currently working and their invitations don't grant access to the service. Exceeded capacity means that no one else is getting in right now, even if they were invited.

It said that for me but I got in a day or so after receiving the invitation.

jvalioli

Terrell said:

Exceeded capacity for the current time slot.

Terrell

lethial said:
It said that for me but I got in a day or so after receiving the invitation.
I got mine 3 days ago and it still doesn't work. Looks like you got lucky. I've got an Automator action in place on my Mac that checks my invite every 10 minutes and still nothing. So this "timed release" stuff people are talking about is crap.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
This is not the got damn invite thread. Leave us be, heathens.

Sharing photos is so seamless. I actually use my camera now.

Gazunta

Does anyone know what happens if you take someone out of any of your circles? Do they get notified?

Is there a way to add someone to a circle, but prevent them from being able to comment on your posts?

kehs

Banned
Gazunta said:
Does anyone know what happens if you take someone out of any of your circles? Do they get notified?

Is there a way to add someone to a circle, but prevent them from being able to comment on your posts?

They don't get notified.

Why?

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Gazunta said:
No.

afaik, you can't mute a specific person, but you can disable comments for a specific thread you make, and also remove specific posts within one of your threads.

PaulLFC

PlusBar is awesome. If this is the standard of extensions/addons in just a week then I can't wait to see what can be done when + goes public.

bangai-o

Banned
jvalioli said:
Regardless the folks at Twitter are probably very worried. Twitter will probably have to make some significant changes if it doesn't want G+ to make it irrelevant.
you guys hype google so much. This has gotten so dumb.

Ashhong

its hard to get too into G+ for me right now because none of my friends are on it yet. no offense to you guys in GAF that i have added, but those are the people i want to be interacting and having hangouts with :p

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
bangai-o said:
you guys hype google so much. This has gotten so dumb.
Totally, with the way some people [and I'm just as guilty here] talk about Google you'd almost think everyone uses gmail. But practically nobody uses gmail.

Twitter is here to stay, I've only started using it within the last year.

Korey

jvalioli said:
Twitter has nothing to worry about.

Top Bottom