• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Google+ |OT| A New Social Network

jvalioli

bangai-o said:
you guys hype google so much. This has gotten so dumb.
What does twitter have over G+ besides number of users?

I'm not in the group of people that think Facebook will be going away by the way.

bangai-o

Banned
Ashhong said:
its hard to get too into G+ for me right now because none of my friends are on it yet. no offense to you guys in GAF that i have added, but those are the people i want to be interacting and having hangouts with :p
well, the way i see it, when i want to interact with Gaf, then i just go to the NeoGaf believe website.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
jvalioli said:

The way the world has embraced twitter is the only thing twitter has going for it. But thats the only thing facebook has going for it. Its the only thing google has going for it in other markets.

There is literally nothing more important than the number of users. featureset does not matter. period. The featureset can SOMETIMES be a way to get that type of mindshare, but that is not always the case.

Korey

jvalioli said:

I'm not in the group of people that think Facebook will be going away by the way.
Twitter in concept is simple and pure.

You make a post in 140 characters or less. You have one list of people you follow and one list of people that follow you.

That's a summary of the entirety of Twitter.

It's not bloated with other things not serving its primary purpose (like photos, or...Sparks). There's no messiness with multiple overlapping friends lists or who can see what. It's either public or private. This makes it perfect for headlines or tweeting from the scene of an event or protest. If I can see it, then the whole world can see it and link to it. For our soundbite-driven society, Twitter is perfect.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I will happily ditch Twitter once my favorite organizations, non-profits, businesses, and bands are on G+. G+ is much more likely to reduce my Twitter use than my Facebook use, personally.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Twitter is still awesome for browsing headlines, getting fast news updates, seeing trending information. 140 characters is a great limitation for this use. G+, in its current state, won't replace Twitter for me.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, Google+ seems to a better tool for things like that.

When it comes down to it these are just faceless tools to use, some are better, some are worse, some have a lot of people and some are still growing. For the most part its true, an organization centric Twitter account comes off as faceless, its kinda useless because Twitter is so shallow. I know that Twitter is a pretty flexible tool that some people use in place of SMSing, but I pretty only use it as a highly customized "words of wisdom for the day" pull of calendar with a little quote on every page. I just want to see nice little compact ideas displayed in 140 characters of english language. Twitter isn't for finding out what is going on with your local CSA is up to. It can certainly be used for that, but I'm not sure its the most effective to find information about that type of stuff. It seems rather cumbersome to me.

These tools expand because the companies want to expand and then people start using them for things they probably never were meant to be good at in the first place.

bangai-o

Banned
Jtwo said:
Yeah, Google+ seems to a better tool for things like that.

When it comes down to it these are just faceless tools to use, some are better, some are worse, some have a lot of people and some are still growing. For the most part its true, an organization centric Twitter account comes off as faceless, its kinda useless because Twitter is so shallow. I know that Twitter is a pretty flexible tool that some people use in place of SMSing, but I pretty only use it as a highly customized "words of wisdom for the day" pull of calendar with a little quote on every page. I just want to see nice little compact ideas displayed in 140 characters of english language. Twitter isn't for finding out what is going on with your local CSA is up to. It can certainly be used for that, but I'm not sure its the most effective to find information about that type of stuff. It seems rather cumbersome to me.
but that is how YOU use a "faceless" Twitter. People do indeed add their real life pic, and can easily link latest updates of FlickR album, Wordpress Blog etc.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
bangai-o said:
but that is how YOU use a "faceless" Twitter. People do indeed add their real life pic, and can easily link latest updates of FlickR album, Wordpress Blog etc.
Yeah, so? I can't be the only one. There is no bad connotation to the word faceless here.

You yourself even said right there that the personality comes from the links and such. Which is useful, and I'm not saying its inherently bad or anything. I'm just saying its not the best tool to use for community organizations or bands or stuff. Its just not the best tool for that. Its completely serviceable though, which is what is important which is why the whole world uses it.

Twitter is a great way to attain information from other places. But its VERY shallow information. To view that information more deeply you have to click through to another service.

it's almost like twitter is a part of this giant network of information and can be used to view some parts of that information very effectively, but isnt very good at viewing other parts. but it has a brand so it seems like a defined object when its really not, it can be anything that the user wants it to. its just this weird thing where all shit is interrelated so why do we think of them as different, you need to use it all at once. im just rambling. im bored.

bangai-o

Banned
Jtwo said:
Twitter is a great way to attain information from other places. But its VERY shallow information. To view that information more deeply you have to click through to another service.
the information is what matters. Not the platform to gather every single bit into one mega service. Use the internet while you are on the internet.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
bangai-o said:
the information is what matters. Not the platform to gather every single bit into one mega service. Use the internet while you are on the internet.
Thats exactly what I'm saying.

In my opinion there are other tools to more effectively view the type of information you get out of following organizations of people.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Phoenix said:
Are invites active? If so, how do I add people and get connected to the various neogaf circles?
You can read the OP.

Polari

I don't know whether this has already been discussed or not, but Google would be nuts not to sign up the likes of Lady Gaga and other Twitter personalities on exclusive deals.

Korey

Jtwo said:
In 2011, 99% of information is shallow. Our society is addicted to soundbites and concise thoughts and headlines. Youtube videos over 20 seconds won't get watched.

That's why Twitter and status updates are successful and why nobody blogs anymore.

Phoenix

Bboy AJ said:
You can read the OP.
Read that but people said the circle loop hole was closed. Is that the only mechanism? No simply 'invite' button anywhere? This method isn't clean.

Mik2121

Korey said:
In 2011, 99% of information is shallow. Our society is addicted to soundbites and concise thoughts and headlines. Youtube videos over 20 seconds won't get watched.

That's why Twitter and status updates are successful and why nobody blogs anymore.
Then, why do we still have IGN, Gamespot, Engadget, Gizmodo, etc...? Oh, and newspapers, don't even get me started with those....

While people like concise messages and headlines, when there's enough time, people also like to read longer stuff. Perhaps it's just you?... (oh, and I love Twitter in this regards, and that's why I'll still use Twitter while also using Google+, but that's another story).

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
pretty much 90% of anything worthwhile posted on twitter is just a link to what's basically a blog post. for me it's like rss + occasional timely commentary from people you're interested in.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Jtwo said:
For the most part its true, an organization centric Twitter account comes off as faceless, its kinda useless because Twitter is so shallow. I know that Twitter is a pretty flexible tool that some people use in place of SMSing, but I pretty only use it as a highly customized "words of wisdom for the day" pull of calendar with a little quote on every page. I just want to see nice little compact ideas displayed in 140 characters of english language. Twitter isn't for finding out what is going on with your local CSA is up to. It can certainly be used for that, but I'm not sure its the most effective to find information about that type of stuff. It seems rather cumbersome to me.
That's exactly what I use Twitter for, personally. Well, not CSAs specifically, but my local grocery co-op, library, Planned Parenthood branch, etc. That's the secondary reason I use any social network (interacting with friends being the first). It's totally replaced email announcement lists for the majority of (web savvy) organizations.

AstroLad said:
pretty much 90% of anything worthwhile posted on twitter is just a link to what's basically a blog post. for me it's like rss + occasional timely commentary from people you're interested in.
Exactly.

Phoenix said:
Read that but people said the circle loop hole was closed. Is that the only mechanism? No simply 'invite' button anywhere? This method isn't clean.
To, umm, actually answer your question: No, invites aren't available right now. I have no clue when they'll open back up. :-\

Bboy AJ

Phoenix said:
There's a link to the invite thread in the OP. All your questions are answered there.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
That's so weird! I've never thought to use twitter that way.
I guess I have only been using it for barely a year though, I resisted it for a long time. Maybe my stance is some of that initial resistence I still carry deep down somewhere.

gcubed

omg.kittens said:
That's exactly what I use Twitter for, personally. Well, not CSAs specifically, but my local grocery co-op, library, Planned Parenthood branch, etc. That's the secondary reason I use any social network (interacting with friends being the first). It's totally replaced email announcement lists for the majority of (web savvy) organizations.

Exactly.

To, umm, actually answer your question: No, invites aren't available right now. I have no clue when they'll open back up. :-\

Sometime prior to July 31st when its rumored to be fully launched

First successful Google+ Hangout tonight! We wound up with about ten people in there. We watched puppy videos on YouTube and shouted at each other's pets!

32zj0pe.jpg

25qbtbb.jpg

I have the Fix + bar for +... I was just wondering if they or anyone else is working on an extension that allows for the bar to be displayed while you are browsing other web pages.

I'm not interested in Surplus

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
UltimaPooh said:
I have the Fix + bar for +... I was just wondering if they or anyone else is working on an extension that allows for the bar to be displayed while you are browsing other web pages.

I'm not interested in Surplus
surplus has been working perfectly for me recently after a couple days of wonkiness

JackEtc

Didn't even realize there was a G+ OP. I've had it for a while now, and I love it. I just wish I had more active people on it =\

I'll be excited when it opens up more, and all the Facebook retards stay on that because they can't figure out G+.

Terrell

Hylian7 said:
Is there a way to make it where my profile picture is only visible to certain circles?
Nope. Ask for the feature in feedback and maybe they'll add it.
But truthfully, Google is trying to bring real-world rules to social media. And anonymity with your public image to the world is counter-intuitive of that.

Anyone wants to add me : ( Here in China no one have it. Also it's weird sometimes I can log in without the use of a VPN and some other times it's blocked by the GFW.

Garryk

So I've used Skype, but I haven't used a Hangout. Looking at Gary's screens I can't really see much difference between the two applications other than G+ isn't available to the mass public. So how is the rumor that Facebook is getting Skype a big deal?

PaulLFC

Is there a dev blog or Google site somewhere where we can keep up with what the Plus team are working on or considering adding in the future? I'd be interested to see what their future plans are for G+...

bounchfx

I've gotten invites on two of my gmail accounts, yet whenever I click the links in them to 'post' or respond, google just has a button to 'keep me posted'.

what gives?

bounchfx said:
I've gotten invites on two of my gmail accounts, yet whenever I click the links in them to 'post' or respond, google just has a button to 'keep me posted'.

what gives?
perhaps they closed invites?

Enco

Invites have been closed for 2 or 3 days now.

Longest it has been closed. It's possible that they won't open it until the launch at the end of this month or they might just wait a bit longer and enable official invites.

JackEtc

Enco said:
Invites have been closed for 2 or 3 days now.

Longest it has been closed. It's possible that they won't open it until the launch at the end of this month or they might just wait a bit longer and enable official invites.
Has the launch been confirmed for the end of this month?

Enco

JackEtc said:
Has the launch been confirmed for the end of this month?
Not officially but you can have a read of the article linked in the op.

I say it seems pretty realistic. They can't really afford to keep it closed too long.

SimleuqiR

More positive reactions for Google+, particularly the Hangouts feature:

Is Google’s Hangouts Its Killer App?

Last night a chatroom changed my life.

But it wasn’t just any chatroom. It was a virtual “hangout,” the group video chat service that is a prominent feature of Google+, Google’s new social-networking service that aims to challenge Facebook..

Shortly before bed, I lingered online, checking my various social networking sites when I noticed several friends were in a video chat session on Google+. I put on some pants and clicked my way into the room with six other people….and didn’t leave until nearly 3 in the morning. We spent several hours cracking jokes, making fun of each other’s snacks and welcoming other friends who noticed our group online and dropped in to say hello. At one point, we found YouTube videos with lyrics and turned the chat into an impromptu karaoke room. A few of our other friends dropped into say hello before making their way offline and heading to bed. One friend, Lindsey, said she’s been hanging out with different groups of friends since 10PM and later told me she didn’t sign off until close to 5 in the morning.

Part of the appeal of Google’s service, I think, is that most of us are already loitering online and are likely already logged into Gmail, making it easy to jump into a room and “hangout.” There’s no awkward preamble of texting to figure out whether or not someone is free to Skype or use FaceTime. You can just start a hangout and see who joins the room or see who in your network is already in a group video chat session and join in.

The other, larger part, is how well the technology works. The service effortlessly switches back and forth between the person who is chatting, cleverly skipping your own camera, so you avoid awkwardly staring into your own face on your laptop screen.

GigaOm, a technology blog, dove deep into the technology behind the service, which includes cloud-based architecture and a close-knit browser integration, keeping out the stuttery lags that tend to be a buzzkill for other video messaging services.

Top Bottom