• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Google+ |OT| A New Social Network

Garryk said:
So I've used Skype, but I haven't used a Hangout. Looking at Gary's screens I can't really see much difference between the two applications other than G+ isn't available to the mass public. So how is the rumor that Facebook is getting Skype a big deal?
It's a 'big deal' because it's one less advantage that G+ will have over Facebook.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
_dementia said:
check out http://gplus.to

you can use it to shorten links to your profile to gplus.to/username

That's cool, but I wish Google would just let us get something like plus.google.com/username. That would feel cleaner. Sure, I managed to snag my profiles.google.com/username address when that was possible (maybe it still is if you're not already a G+ member?), which redirects to my Google+ profile, but that's not as nice!

andycapps

Treefingers said:
It's a 'big deal' because it's one less advantage that G+ will have over Facebook.

Only if Facebook has figured out a way to make Skype not P2P and not install Skype on your machine once it goes live.

KevinRo

RoadHazard said:
That's cool, but I wish Google would just let us get something like plus.google.com/username. That would feel cleaner. Sure, I managed to snag my profiles.google.com/username address when that was possible (maybe it still is if you're not already a G+ member?), which redirects to my Google+ profile, but that's not as nice!

The vanity URL for Google+ already works...

I didn't even have to register a google profile or anything. Those that sign up for Google+ now, get an option in the About section when they're editing their info. It asks them if they want to keep the numbers or have an option to use their username as their URL.

RoadHazard said:
How did you do that?

SimleuqiR

_dementia said:
How did you do that?

The old Google Profiles allows you to have a vanity link. It still should. If anyone here hasn't upgraded to G+ they should be able to go into their Google Account and set up a vanity link.

SimleuqiR said:
The old Google Profiles allows you to have a vanity link. It still should. If anyone here hasn't upgraded to G+ they should be able to go into their Google Account and set up a vanity link.
ah, looks like I missed out

kehs

Banned
Why am I waiting to watching an announcement from Facebook?

Fuck I need to go out and find new clients, work is too slow...

RoadHazard

Gold Member
KevinRo said:
The vanity URL for Google+ already works...

I didn't even have to register a google profile or anything. Those that sign up for Google+ now, get an option in the About section when they're editing their info. It asks them if they want to keep the numbers or have an option to use their username as their URL.

I don't get that option. :(

EDIT: Is that to get a plus.google.com/username URL, or a profiles.google.com/username URL? If it's the latter, I already have that.

golem

Im not sure I get this..

http://www.google.com/support/profiles/bin/answer.py?hlrm=en&answer=1192471

The purpose of Google Profiles is to enable you to manage your online identity. Today, nearly all Google Profiles are public. We believe that using Google Profiles to help people find and connect with you online is how the product is best used. Private profiles don’t allow this, so we have decided to require all profiles to be public.

Keep in mind that your full name and gender are the only required information that will be displayed on your profile; you’ll be able to edit or remove any other information that you don’t want to share.

If you currently have a private profile but you do not wish to make your profile public, you can delete your profile. Or, you can simply do nothing. All private profiles will be deleted after July 31, 2011.

Can I have a Google+ account without a profile?

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Wow, that graph is neat! I was just thinking last night as I was in between sleep and wake that they needed to change the "who can see this" pane from a bunch of tiny icons of people you dont know to some crazy infograph just like that.

Hey, is there a way to add you Google+ friends to gchat easily? Because I realize a lot of them have gmail accounts but I don't have them on gchat...

kehs

Banned
Zoramon089 said:
Hey, is there a way to add you Google+ friends to gchat easily? Because I realize a lot of them have gmail accounts but I don't have them on gchat...

Hit the little triangle next to chat on the left hand side > circles > select a circle to add to chat.

Copernicus said:
Hit the little triangle next to chat on the left hand side > circles > select a circle to add to chat.

Triangle...it only lets me click chat to open the list of people I already have. There's no triangle there. Is this supposed to be from my Google+ homepage?

kehs

Banned
Zoramon089 said:
Triangle...it only lets me click chat to open the list of people I already have. There's no triangle there. Is this supposed to be from my Google+ homepage?

Oh, yeah I'm talking about from the G+ page.

BIGGEST ISSUE I have with Google+ and Google Profile in general if you make your profile public anyone will now know your email. It's part of the URL now. Just add @gmail.com at the end .... so once they allow us to customize our URL or randomize it with some numbers.

NO DEAL.

But Google+ does seem cool other than my issue.

Enco

xBerserker said:
BIGGEST ISSUE I have with Google+ and Google Profile in general if you make your profile public anyone will now know your email. It's part of the URL now. Just add @gmail.com at the end .... so once they allow us to customize our URL or randomize it with some numbers.

NO DEAL.

?

kehs

Banned
xBerserker said:

NO DEAL.

No? Only if you own your name + gmail.

But then anyone who knows your name knows your email address.

*GASP*

Copernicus said:
No? Only if you own your name + gmail.

But then anyone who knows your name knows your email address.

*GASP*

I do see the google plus profile urls are random numbers . mmmm hopefully they update Google profiles to be the same way.

My reasoning is say some random person searches for me. They could find out my email. But if they randomize the profile url with numbers, then it's a non-issue.

Anyway... carry on.

SimleuqiR

xBerserker said:

NO DEAL.

view-as-another-user.jpg

What do yo see?
You know you can hide everything but your name and sex in profiles.

Korey

Mik2121 said:
Then, why do we still have IGN, Gamespot, Engadget, Gizmodo, etc...? Oh, and newspapers, don't even get me started with those....

While people like concise messages and headlines, when there's enough time, people also like to read longer stuff. Perhaps it's just you?... (oh, and I love Twitter in this regards, and that's why I'll still use Twitter while also using Google+, but that's another story).
alOzG.png

sooperkool said:
Good info here - How Circles Work

Credit to Jim Avila on G+
Is this a social network or a sequel to Inception?

SimleuqiR said:
view-as-another-user.jpg

What do yo see?
You know you can hide everything but your name and sex in profiles.

Guess it's different for Google+ but for a normal Google Profile the url for the profile was example:

http://www.google.com/profiles/mesocool

Now I know that persons email is mesocool@gmail.com

I just went into my Google Profile which is not public yet, due to this. It's still like this. Hopefully the profile URL changes to the Google+ way of just random #'s instead.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
xBerserker said:

NO DEAL.

Actually a really good point. Damn! I am now not as excited about having my vanity URL.

SimleuqiR

xBerserker said:
Guess it's different for Google+ but for a normal Google Profile the url for the profile was example:

I just went into my Google Profile which is not public yet, due to this. It's still like this. Hopefully the profile URL changes to the Google+ way of just random #'s instead.

Bboy AJ said:
Actually a really good point. Damn! I am now not as excited about having my vanity URL.

This could be the reason why they are not allowing you to get one once you joing G+. Maybe they are baking in the ability to allow you to pick a unique name, not based on your gmail information.

SimleuqiR said:
This could be the reason why they are not allowing you to get one once you joing G+. Maybe they are baking in the ability to allow you to pick a unique name, not based on your gmail information.

That would make more sense. Excited to try this out. Looks like I'll be waiting until the public gets access.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
xBerserker said:

The Google Profile URL only corresponds to your Gmail user name if you have changed it to do that. By default it's some random string of numbers, just like Google+ profile URLs.

Does anyone ever actually type in or look at the ''vanity links'' on facebook? It's funny for a bit, but I never ever look at it or use it to go on someone's profile. Doesn't add much to the experience at all.

Top Bottom