• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Google+ |OT| A New Social Network

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
RoadHazard said:
The Google Profile URL only corresponds with your Gmail user name if you have changed it to do that. By default it's some random string of numbers, just like Google+ profile URLs.
I changed it a long, long time ago. Who knew at the time this would be an issue, with profiles now becoming public?

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Rocket Scientist said:
Does anyone ever actually type in or look at the ''vanity links'' on facebook? It's funny for a bit, but I never ever look at it or use it to go on someone's profile. Doesn't add much to the experience at all.

Not really, but if for some reason you want to link to your Facebook profile page it looks a bit nicer.

Bboy AJ said:
I changed it a long, long time ago. Who knew at the time this would be an issue, with profiles now becoming public?

Yeah, me too. Not really an issue for me, but it's a bit annoying that it can't be changed back once you're a Google+ user (trying to change your Google Profile settings just takes you to your Google+ profile).

kehs

Banned
You could technically just erase your G+ profile, and then make a new one, that would clear your vanity url.

xBerserker said:
I do see the google plus profile urls are random numbers . mmmm hopefully they update Google profiles to be the same way.

My reasoning is say some random person searches for me. They could find out my email. But if they randomize the profile url with numbers, then it's a non-issue.

Anyway... carry on.

You can remove yourself from searches. Its right there in the profile options.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Copernicus said:
You could technically just erase your G+ profile, and then make a new one, that would clear your vanity url.

Would that also erase your Google Profile? We're talking about Google Profile vanity URLs, not Google+ vanity URLs (as far as I know, they don't exist yet).

kehs

Banned
RoadHazard said:
Would that also erase your Google Profile? We're talking about Google Profile vanity URLs, not Google+ vanity URLs (as far as I know, they don't exist yet).

Your Google Profile is what you see in "profile" when you see it through Google+.

RoadHazard said:
The Google Profile URL only corresponds to your Gmail user name if you have changed it to do that. By default it's some random string of numbers, just like Google+ profile URLs.

Your partially correct.

http://www.google.com/support/accounts/bin/answer.py?answer=144414

It may have been available at some point to change it to whatever you want if your a gmail user. But now you can't, so I've never made my profile public to searches.

On my profile it has this:

Profile URL

To make it easier for people to find your profile, you can customize your URL with your Google email username. (Note this can make your Google email address publicly discoverable.) This unique name will also be used in other links to your content on Google. To help others discover your profile, in some Google services contacts who know your email address will see a link to your profile.

Your profile URL is
http://www.google.com/profiles/mygmailusername

rabhw

I wish there was a way to include a personal message when you add someone to one of your circles.

I understand the viewpoint of "if you don't recognize someone by name, why are you being friends with them".

...But I'm getting a bunch of people adding me to circles and I have no idea who they are, so as of now I'm simply assuming they are from GAF, and adding them to my GAF circle.

At least with the short message, someone could say "Hey it's rabhw from GAF".

andycapps

Copernicus said:
They should re-announce Hangouts right now and open up invites.

It would be pretty brilliant if they would just open up the beta right now. That's providing that they have the infrastructure ramped up for such an increase in a short amount of time.

gcubed

andycapps said:
It would be pretty brilliant if they would just open up the beta right now. That's providing that they have the infrastructure ramped up for such an increase in a short amount of time.

im sure they have the infrastructure, but i'm also sure they have a shit load of bugs and features that they got from a result of the first wave of invites to work through before they want to unleash it on everyone

kehs

Banned
rabhw said:
I wish there was a way to include a personal message when you add someone to one of your circles.

I understand the viewpoint of "if you don't recognize someone by name, why are you being friends with them".

...But I'm getting a bunch of people adding me to circles and I have no idea who they are, so as of now I'm simply assuming they are from GAF, and adding them to my GAF circle.

At least with the short message, someone could say "Hey it's rabhw from GAF".

You could always send them a message.

First thing I do is look at who they have in their circles. If alot of them are from gaf, chances are they are from gaf. You can narrow down how/if you know them easily with this method.

Also, if they added the ability to display an alias to a circle, then you'll see their screen name in the about portion of their profile.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Google+ is actually a little buggy. It is pretty common for me to bring down the notification pane and have it not work or just act really weird.

andycapps

gcubed said:
im sure they have the infrastructure, but i'm also sure they have a shit load of bugs and features that they got from a result of the first wave of invites to work through before they want to unleash it on everyone

True, the amount of bugs they're getting now is probably very sufficient to work through to resolve. Plus, the people that went through the trouble to get into the beta now are probably a lot more gracious about those bugs being fixed than the general public.

The best thing that I've seen about it thus far is that Google has been pretty upfront in talking about new features and fixes that are coming, as well as updating their Android app once or twice already.

any way to NOT alert someone if you add them to a circle? or is that always public knowledge?

and anyone frustrated that if you tag someone in one photo, they get access to the ENTIRE ALBUM?

kehs

Banned
kkaabboomm said:
any way to NOT alert someone if you add them to a circle? or is that always public knowledge?

It was explained as being "creepy", so I don't think it's going anywhere.

Enco said:

that was my feeling on the subject, i just wanted to know that i'd know it when people were following me. i know in theory they could just look up my name and read whatever i write 'publicly', but yeah.

Enco

kkaabboomm said:
that was my feeling on the subject, i just wanted to know that i'd know it when people were following me. i know in theory they could just look up my name and read whatever i write 'publicly', but yeah.
Always good to have anti-stalker features :p

That tagging and viewing whole albums thing sounds pretty iffy.

next question: in my photos tab on g+, it just shows the most recent 4 albums time/date wise, with a text link to see all my albums and/or go to the next 'page' of albums. any way to re-order them to the ones you want to showcase are first displayed, even if they are older?

also: any way to NOT have it 'post' when you tag someone in a photo? like in my main stream or whatnot? oddly enough, when i click 'limited' on the post to see who it's shared with...no one is listed. no circles, not public, no one....weird.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Copernicus said:
Your Google Profile is what you see in "profile" when you see it through Google+.

Well, in the same way that Picasa = Google+ Photos, I guess. Same data, two different interfaces. If you're not a Google+ member, your Google Profile is a seperate thing, on its own site (profiles.google.com). Once you become a Google+ member, these are merged, and your Google Profile URL redirects to your Google+ profile.

The problem is that the Google Profile page has settings which are not available in the Google+ profile settings, such as the ability to change your public profile URL to your Gmail user name or back to the random number string.

EDIT: Here's a screen showing this (using an account I made for a character sharing site, so I don't mind showing it):

sbcik.png

(Yes, I know it's in Swedish, but you get the idea.)

This setting does not exist in the Google+ profile settings, and can't be reached since trying to view your Google Profile redirects you to your Google+ profile. This account isn't a Google+ member, and therefore I can reach and change this setting. With my real account, I can't. So, whatever you set this to before you join Google+, you're then stuck with.

xBerserker said:
Your partially correct.

What I meant was "if you have changed your Google Profile URL from the default string of numbers to your Gmail user name".

Dartastic said:
Where the heck do I go to find my actual URL?

Just go to your profile page. There it is.

kehs

Banned
RoadHazard said:
Well, in the same way that Picasa = Google+ Photos, I guess. Same data, two different interfaces. If you're not a Google+ member, your Google Profile is a seperate thing, on its own site (profiles.google.com). Once you become a Google+ member, these are merged, and your Google Profile URL redirects to your Google+ profile.

The problem is that the Google Profile page has settings which are not available in the Google+ profile settings, such as the ability to change your public profile URL to your Gmail user name or back to the random number string.

EDIT: Here's a screen showing this (using an account I made for a character sharing site, so I don't mind showing it):

http://i.imgur.com/sbcik.png

(Yes, I know it's in Swedish, but you get the idea.)

This setting does not exist in the Google+ profile settings, and can't be reached since trying to view your Google Profile redirects you to your Google+ profile. This account isn't a Google+ member, and therefore I can reach and change this setting. With my real account, I can't.

What I meant was "if you have changed your Google Profile URL from the default string of numbers to your Gmail user name".

Just go to your profile page. There it is.

I see what you mean, but once you do switch over to your G+, your profile URL will be a number URL, the vanity will never show unless someone types it in manually.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Copernicus said:
I see what you mean, but once you do switch over to your G+, your profile URL will be a number URL, the vanity will never show unless someone types it in manually.

My Google Profile vanity URL shows up if I search my name, so that's not entirely true.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
The Friendly Monster said:
Just tried my luck and managed to get in.

Invites are at least partially open.

Now to try this out.
Yes, looks like you can sign up, if you go to google.com/plus

kehs

Banned
RoadHazard said:
My Google Profile vanity URL shows up if I search my name, so that's not entirely true.
Shows up where?

I haven't seen my vanity url anywhere, and I had my profile setup to use it.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Copernicus said:
Shows up where?

I haven't seen my vanity url anywhere, and I had my profile setup to use it.

In Google's search results. If I search "[my name] google" it's the first result in the list. Then comes my Google+ profile.

kehs

Banned
RoadHazard said:
In Google's search results. If I search "[my name] google" it's the first result in the list. Then comes my Google+ profile.

Ah okay, I see what you mean now. You can't really deduce that added portion is the email address, because at one point Google allowed you to crate a custom vanity url.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
The Google+ feature suggestion page is pretty nice, it looks like a lot of the stuff I want is a lot of stuff other people want as well.

For example!

Being able to select multiple circles for default stream, but not all of them - I know some people in this thread were saying there was 'no need' - but I mean, wouldn't it be better if the feature was available?

Also, Google docs/mail/etc mixing in with G+ would be fantastic. Having a circle work on a shared document is great, emailing people in a circle is fantastic, things like this.

I would like to see some desktop support for huddles.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Copernicus said:
Ah okay, I see what you mean now. You can't really deduce that added portion is the email address, because at one point Google allowed you to crate a custom vanity url.

They only ever allowed that for Google accounts without Gmail addresses, I believe.

Technosteve said:
is there a neogaf mega group?

There are no groups. There are just circles, and those are private to each user.

kehs

Banned
Kinitari said:
The Google+ feature suggestion page is pretty nice, it looks like a lot of the stuff I want is a lot of stuff other people want as well.

For example!

Being able to select multiple circles for default stream, but not all of them - I know some people in this thread were saying there was 'no need' - but I mean, wouldn't it be better if the feature was available?

Also, Google docs/mail/etc mixing in with G+ would be fantastic. Having a circle work on a shared document is great, emailing people in a circle is fantastic, things like this.

I would like to see some desktop support for huddles.

I was one of those people, and I see the error of my ways. The streams desperately needs boolean options as well as custom streams. Good thing is that they've apparently listened and are working on it.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
I wish I knew where I could hear about any Google+ news from G+ staffers. Like a twitter account, or even a G+ person I could add for updates. I like to be in the know :D.

Top Bottom