• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Google+ |OT| A New Social Network

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I hate having IM, text, Huddle. Let's all just consolidate this stuff into one thing and make it seamless and transparent. It would be nice to move from mobile to desktop to laptop seamlessly. I already do it with GVoice with texts but it's annoying seeing 60+ "unread" messages and notifications on my phone. Slight annoyance, yes, but a problem without a solution. And that's only with texts.

Google has the power to do it. They're probably one of the few that actually can.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Trurl said:
Sorry if this has been asked before, but is there a good way to emulate groups as they are on Facebook?

Not really, unless you somehow manage to get a bunch of people to all add each other to a circle. But it still wouldn't really work like a group.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Trurl said:
If Google+ were a video game console, Gary Whitta would be the best game available at launch.

Truth!

At the moment I'm using Google+ more like Twitter, where I'm just following some interesting people. Garry Whitta happens to be at the top of that list.

Trurl

Banned
santouras said:
shared or public groups are apparently coming
Cool.

After that my only concern is that people actually join. Google has created the first social networking site where I feel comfortable being connected with my parents, but it won't be much of an advantage if my parents never join.

snacknuts

we all knew her
Trurl said:
Cool.

After that my only concern is that people actually join. Google has created the first social networking site where I feel comfortable being connected with my parents, but it won't be much of an advantage if my parents never join.
My mom refuses to join Facebook. I'm fine with that for the most part, since it keeps her from leaving stupid comments on my posts, but it requires more effort to share photos and the like with her. G+ should solve that problem.

bananaman1234

Unconfirmed Member
I just joined and google+ has a perfectly cropped profile pic of me already...I'm not sure how they got it as I'm not using that pic anywhere else online except facebook, which has an uncropped version. Any ideas? I'm just curious.

wario

isoku said:
I just joined and google+ has a perfectly cropped profile pic of me already...I'm not sure how they got it as I'm not using that pic anywhere else online except facebook, which has an uncropped version. Any ideas? I'm just curious.

do you use gtalk? they might have taken the photo from there.

jvalioli

isoku said:
You don't have a picture for gchat or google profiles?

Mik2121

isoku said:
It's Google. You just don't question them. They own the internet.

Trurl

Banned
blame space said:
what is going on

is this just a way to get gary whitta beamed directly into my brain
At first, yes. Gary Whitta is to Google+ what Super Mario 64 was to the launch of the DS.

goober

Any interesting people on Google+ that I should add?

Open to recommendations.

Also, I think I'm pretty interesting. please add me! I know some of you guys already have!

gplus.to/goober

edit: oh shit Gary Whitta

Ryaaan14

Banned
Ok the shit is starting to finally hit the fan as far as placing people in circles. Before it was safe to assume everyone was from GAF, now I have no fucking clue who all these people are following me.

Mik2121

Ryaaan14 said:
Ok the shit is starting to finally hit the fan as far as placing people in circles. Before it was safe to assume everyone was from GAF, now I have no fucking clue who all these people are following me.
Check who else are they following. If you got people in common and they are in your GAF circle, then they are 99% likely gaffers. If not, check their profile, click on "About" and see if they got some nickname added. If that doesn't give you any clue either, send a stream message adding just them and ask who they are :p

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Technosteve said:
notifications don't work =/ missed a hangout
They're not working so hot in the Android app.

Achtius

One question about how circle works:

If I add someone to an existing circle, would that person see the post I made before he was invited?

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Bboy AJ said:
They're not working so hot in the Android app.
Ok yeah, I'm glad its not just me. The experience of going from the desktop app to the mobile app is anything but seamless. I got woken from a very pleasant nap for a 5.5 hour old notification. That was so fucking bullshit.

Apparently Plus+ is open to all now but I'm still seeing this...

Screen%20Shot%202011-07-06%20at%2011.36.00%20PM.png

Bboy AJ

Achtius said:
One more question. Does the msg sent in huddle count as text msg or does it use data?
Data.

ezekial45

Banned
I've sent a ton of people invites, but none of them are getting it.

Am i doing it wrong? It synced my contacts list and i clicked on them for the invites.

kehs

Banned
Gary Whitta said:
When I get an alert that people added me, why are some names bolded and others not?

They group them together

W, X, Y and Z have added.

The bolded one is the latest person that added you that you weren't aware of. X, Y, and Z are notifications you already saw.

If more than one is bolded, it's because they were grouped since you last looked at who added you.

ezekial45 said:
I've sent a ton of people invites, but none of them are getting it.

Am i doing it wrong? It synced my contacts list and i clicked on them for the invites.

They are actively preventing people from just mass emailing people. I'm guessing they want more actual connections instead of forum dwellers.

Terrell

Kinitari said:
The Google+ feature suggestion page is pretty nice, it looks like a lot of the stuff I want is a lot of stuff other people want as well.
Wait, what? Where is this page? Did I miss something?

Crazyorloco

Yay!!! Finally added some people. My fiance and some friends got in. I think they're going to close it up again soon. I felt like calling up more friends to tell them "Check your emails quick!" It's so much better when there are more people using it.

When inviting friends and family, recommend people to follow so they'll keep being interested. Im glad I had gaf posters streams to look at and "nearby streams" on the android app.

kehs

Banned
ezekial45 said:
So they blocked it for outsiders then?

We continue to throttle invites, so please don't mass invite folks as it won't work. If you invite a handful of your most important friends and family you're much more likely to get these folks into our system.

I'm guessing they are giving preference to connections you already have through google services, so everything else gets queued.

The first 5 or so invites I sent went through without a problem, the next set have gotten nothing.

thetechkid

I've tried adding some of my friends, some have gotten the invites while others are still sitting around with no invite. Is there a system to this or is Google getting hammered with invites or something?

Edit: Oh

Top Bottom