• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Google+ |OT| A New Social Network

ezekial45

Banned
Copernicus said:
I'm guessing they are giving preference to connections you already have through google services, so everything else gets queued.

The first 5 or so invites I sent went through without a problem, the next set have gotten nothing.

Yeah, i only sent about 5 as well. They got nothing.

Oh well. The wait continues.

mollipen

Yeah, I'm finally in!

A few things are kind of confusing, and I haven't gone back through this thread yet to see if they were talked about yet. I'm totally lost as to how I post something to a friend's page, or if that's even a concept on Google+. I guess maybe I just add them to the "share to..." part when I post something? But wouldn't that go to my page as well? Or maybe no.

Also, REALLY confusing, my stream's post are in absolutely no sort of order date-wise. That's really, really confusing.

kehs

Banned
shidoshi said:
Yeah, I'm finally in!

A few things are kind of confusing, and I haven't gone back through this thread yet to see if they were talked about yet. I'm totally lost as to how I post something to a friend's page, or if that's even a concept on Google+. I guess maybe I just add them to the "share to..." part when I post something? But wouldn't that go to my page as well? Or maybe no.

Also, REALLY confusing, my stream's post are in absolutely no sort of order date-wise. That's really, really confusing.

There are no pages or walls. You post a thread and you allow only certain circles to see it.

Terrell

shidoshi said:
Yeah, I'm finally in!

G+ makes no distinction between "messages" and "private posts". Anything you share enters your stream and is posted to the stream of people you share with. I think if you share with an individual person, G+ notifies that person so they can check it. Haven't tested that theory though.
Starting to think that some of the more finite aspects of G+ require a tutorial, just because of how different things are.

Ryaaan14

Banned
Random McPerson is Hanging Out. Click to join this Hangout!

/checks mirror. "Fuck it, do not feel like fixing hair. Hangout can wait."

Since when is the internet supposed to feel like my real life?

Mik2121

Ryaaan14 said:

I would quote your avatar if I could...

Terrell

Ryaaan14 said:

You make it sound like it's a bad thing. The idea of the Internet being the wild west and free of the trappings of social graces is the greatest travesty we visited upon ourselves.

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
Any idea how many invites they allow per person? I only was able to toss out 2.

PkunkFury

so if I'm adding people who aren't yet on Google Plus via e-mail, am I spamming their e-mail by posting stuff or moving them between circles?

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
OuterWorldVoice said:
I am wondering if it's a cookie. HANG ON!

77dLv.jpg

Gary Whitta said:
Being on Google+ right now is pretty cool, it's like Facebook after a virus has wiped up 99.9% of the world's population.
Or like Facebook when it was only like 10 colleges. Sigh, those were the days.

Terrell

PkunkFury said:
so if I'm adding people who aren't yet on Google Plus via e-mail, am I spamming their e-mail by posting stuff or moving them between circles?
I believe so, yes. OH GOD, I've been doing it, as well!!! What have I done??!?

mollipen

Terrell said:
G+ makes no distinction between "messages" and "private posts". Anything you share enters your stream and is posted to the stream of people you share with. I think if you share with an individual person, G+ notifies that person so they can check it. Haven't tested that theory though.
Starting to think that some of the more finite aspects of G+ require a tutorial, just because of how different things are.

Yeah, this whole concept is still feeling weird to me. Like, on Facebook, if I have something I want to make sure my friend sees, I go to their wall and post it. On here, I don't understand how to do that.

For example, I just did a test where the idea was "I want my friend Bob (fake name) to see this". So, I hit the share box, and added two share points: Public and Bob. Due to having it Public, I believe, it's on my profile page under "Posts". I don't really want it there, but I also don't want to make it just so that only my friend can see it. And when I wanted to add Bob, there was no way to just go to his profile and post something that included him - I had to type his name into that share box, which seems a bit odd. And then, when I did, if I go to his profile page and look under posts, my image isn't there.

I realize that a lot of it is just a different concept for doing this stuff, but it feels weird for now. With Facebook, I could post something to my page directly if I wanted all my friends to see it, or I could post it to a friend's page, so that s/he and her/his friends could see it as well. Like, it was that social content-sharing. This feels a little more like Twitter - which, oddly enough, I love Twitter, but in the confines of what it is, and not necessarily as a full social experience.

I just really need to play with this more.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
shidoshi said:
stealing this from Dave Cohen
Sharing

When sharing content in Google+, you have some different options for who to share it with:
1) You can share it to individuals by autocompleting their names or entering an email address, and only these people will see your post.
2) You can share it with one or more circles. Only the people in the circles you chose will see the post.
3) You can share it to Extended Circles, which means your circles, and all of your circles' circles (kind of like friends-of-friends).
4) You can share it publicly, which means anyone can see your post.
5) Or, you can share to any combination of the above.

Consuming

With any of the sharing choices above, people will only see your post in their stream if they have you in a circle. So even if I share to my "best friends" circle, my friends won't see my post unless they also have me in one of their circles (or if they go to my profile).

Conversely, if I want to read my best friends' posts, just having them in my circle isn't good enough. They need to share their posts to a circle that includes me.

What does this mean for you as a Google+ user?

You know all those random people adding you to circles you? Don't worry about them, they'll only see your posts if you post publicly, or (maybe) if you post to your extended network.

Fine-tuning your circles is really the key to making the most out of Google Plus.

And, as most of you know, Google Plus is only about a week old! We're listening to all your feedback and writing code as fast as we can :) This is one of the most energetic and passionate teams I've been on over my 6 years at Google. Expect a lot of great improvements, big and small, rolling out on a continual basis.
what it really does, and certainly will do even more so after the field trial is over, is let you tailor your inbound and outbound communications to your needs and preferences, but that applies to everyone. so if someone finds you annoying, no there is no way to finagle your way onto their "wall." it's all about true contextual reciprocity rather than just shit do i really have to accept my 6th-grade classmate as a friend

but yeah the sooner you let go of these silly constructs facebook has created the better, at least in terms of g+ usage. it's actually pretty easy to grasp without holding on to those dogmatically, at least based on my experience with people

PkunkFury

I'm starting to think this may be too confusing for the average user (i.e. I can't picture my mom understanding and managing circles properly)

Also looking forward to a lot of "oops" moments where people share comments or info with the wrong circles by accident, and the media playing these up

I, however, love it :)

mollipen

AstroLad said:
it's all about true contextual reciprocity rather than just shit do i really have to accept my 6th-grade classmate as a friend

No, I'm totally on board with that idea, because that's exactly why I've come to want to use Facebook as little as possible. My confusion right now is more in how content posted to G+ is presented when it's shared, not questions like who it gets shared to. Facebook's system - for good or bad - makes total sense.

I think my confusion will go away once I've had the chance to actually interact with others on this thing. For now, it's just me pushing buttons and seeing what does what.

There is another thing I've run into, and it might be a case of RTFM, so you know. I set my phone number to be "Circles", but... I don't want ALL of my circles to be able to see it. Like, family and friends, cool, but acquaintances? Not really. I need to get stuff like that figured out.

Edit: Oh, and the near total lack of integration with YouTube is kind of bizarre to me. I can pull in my photos from Picasa, but not videos from YouTube, and when adding links to my profile, they give a long list of accounts you can link to, but not a default for YouTube.

Terrell

shidoshi said:
There is another thing I've run into, and it might be a case of RTFM, so you know. I set my phone number to be "Circles", but... I don't want ALL of my circles to be able to see it. Like, family and friends, cool, but acquaintances? Not really. I need to get stuff like that figured out.
Click the dropdown that lets you specify who sees it, click Custom, and it gives you full control of some circles seeing your details over others.

shidoshi said:
Yeah, this whole concept is still feeling weird to me. Like, on Facebook, if I have something I want to make sure my friend sees, I go to their wall and post it. On here, I don't understand how to do that.

For example, I just did a test where the idea was "I want my friend Bob (fake name) to see this". So, I hit the share box, and added two share points: Public and Bob. Due to having it Public, I believe, it's on my profile page under "Posts". I don't really want it there, but I also don't want to make it just so that only my friend can see it. And when I wanted to add Bob, there was no way to just go to his profile and post something that included him - I had to type his name into that share box, which seems a bit odd. And then, when I did, if I go to his profile page and look under posts, my image isn't there.

I realize that a lot of it is just a different concept for doing this stuff, but it feels weird for now. With Facebook, I could post something to my page directly if I wanted all my friends to see it, or I could post it to a friend's page, so that s/he and her/his friends could see it as well. Like, it was that social content-sharing. This feels a little more like Twitter - which, oddly enough, I love Twitter, but in the confines of what it is, and not necessarily as a full social experience.

EDIT: OK, I see the confusion... G+ doesn't spread the content you generate around. Rather than posting on someone else's wall, it keeps your post in YOUR page and is viewable by the individual names you add to it; they are also notified of this post if you add their individual name to it. Similarly, even if you add his name to share it with them, it's not HIS content, so it won't appear on HIS profile.

Help make sense of it better now?

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
shidoshi said:

For your Profile, go to the page, then Edit Profile, then click on the relevant field and Custom. You can select very fine-grained visibility there, down to either specific circles or even just individual users if you want (or specific circles + certain individuals). And just to be on the safe side, after you hit Done Editing, you can always punch in the name of users into the View Profile As box to see what others can see (including the public).

Korey

shidoshi said:

All very great points.

You go to your friend's page and there's no way to interact with him there. You have hit "home" or click the share box on your toolbar and type out his name to write him a message.

The more you experience Google+, you find that it's more about content sharing, and less about social interaction.

Hylian7

panda21

OuterWorldVoice said:
I am wondering if it's a cookie. HANG ON!

I just tried deleting my plus.google.com cookies and I still can't get in with either of my google accounts :'(

is it US only or something?

Don't have time for a better image, but perhaps it's better to look at it this way. Everything you post, ends up on your own page/''wall''. What circles do is limit what a person viewing your page sees. Anything a certain person can see on your page, ends up in the stream of the circle they have you in.

Tz9sV.jpg

I need a good way to figure out if the people who I've put in my Mini-GAF circle are actually from GAF. I've made the mistake of adding all the people who I know to my Friends Circle, and everyone else who've added me to my Mini-GAF Circle.

... Hmmmm

Korey

Rocket Scientist said:
Don't have time for a better image, but perhaps it's better to look at it this way. Everything you post, ends up on your own page/''wall''. What circles do is limit what a person viewing your page sees. Anything a certain person can see on your page, ends up in the stream of the circle they have you in.

http://i.imgur.com/Tz9sV.jpg
It's a long-form of Twitter with more privacy options and a profile.

Which leaves it in a weird position in the social networking world. I don't think it competes with Facebook at all for what Facebook's purpose is, and it's messier than Twitter for what Twitter's purpose is.

What do you guys think of the new Gmail look preview? I don't like it much, but that's probably because I'm not used to it. After a couple of days, I switched back to my Android theme, which I find the best for readability. It's nice and easy on the eyes, with contrast in the right places.

When they make the Gmail+ look default, they'll probably leave the "classic" themes as an option, so I'm not sure what I'll do.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Looks great to me. It's my preference. I used to use a darker theme so it was an adjustment at first.

Twinduct

Finally one of the 20+ invites I sent out has activated!
Finally, it's been a week of sharing topics with myself!

This would feel better if the person actually talks though :<

Btw anyone use the huddle feature yet? I tried to huddle with some people, but they got annoyed with the spam, they really need to bring out some huddle compatibility with Blackberry (considering the whole world is on it)

RoadHazard

Gold Member
PkunkFury said:

When you share stuff with people not already on Google+ they'll be receiving e-mails about it, yes. Not when you're just adding them to or moving them between circles, though.

Battersea Power Station said:
What do you guys think of the new Gmail look preview? I don't like it much, but that's probably because I'm not used to it. After a couple of days, I switched back to my Android theme, which I find the best for readability. It's nice and easy on the eyes, with contrast in the right places.

When they make the Gmail+ look default, they'll probably leave the "classic" themes as an option, so I'm not sure what I'll do.

I like the dense preview theme. The regular one has far too much padding between everything.

RoadHazard said:
I like the dense preview theme. The regular one has far too much padding between everything.
Do you use right side chat? I love it with the current themes, but the Preview ones put in way too much padding and empty space. They said they're working on it, though, so I'm sure it'll look better when it's ready.

eznark

Banned
needlejuice said:
Will companies be able to block access to Google+, like most firms have with Facebook?

I think a very real difference here is that Google+ can be seamlessly and without embarrassment be used for business. Right now, you pretty much have to create a separate business/professional facebook page because most clients/co-workers don't want to know your views on Lady Gaga and Murderer Mom.

Google+ allows you to seamlessly integrate your personal and professional life into a single social network which 1. reduces the hassle and 2. means I no longer have to tell clients I can't be their social network friend (a real hassle in my line of work). It's also a great collaboration tool for small businesses that maybe don't have the huge budget for a Cisco infrastructure.

I'm super impressed so far.

JackEtc

Anyone else not seeing the invite button? I saw it, asked a few of my friends if they wanted invites, then I went to invite them, and the button is gone. What gives?

vaelic

Banned
JackEtc said:
Anyone else not seeing the invite button? I saw it, asked a few of my friends if they wanted invites, then I went to invite them, and the button is gone. What gives?
last I heard, they hit their quota for invites. not certain...

JackEtc said:

Does adding them to circles not work? That's how I was inviting people last night.

Top Bottom