• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Google+ |OT| A New Social Network

So with that Google Chrome extension blocked for importing friends, what's the easiest way to import Facebook friends into G+? I did a search and it brings up creating a Yahoo account, linking Facebook, etc. but was hoping for something easier.

Just got in. I r confused.

Can you not directly message people? I can only seem to "share" something on my own wall, then select which circles can view it. And I can't even choose a single person to share with. Only entire circles.

I could only thank the guy that invited me by writing on my own wall!

AndyD

aka andydumi
makingmusic476 said:

Can you not directly message people? I can only seem to "share" something on my own wall, then select which circles can view it. And I can't even choose a single person to share with. Only entire circles.

If you add a person with a + before their name, it is addressed to them. You can't post on their stream, but you can direct a post on yours to them, and they will get notified.

I think the point is that your stream is your stream, and you can direct each post to a person, or a circle, or publicly. Unlike FB where your wall is not only yours.

Davedough

I've got some invites. Dont know how many because I haven't figured out this new fangled contraption yet, but if you want one, PM me and I'll send until I cant send no more!

AndyD said:
If you add a person with a + before their name, it is addressed to them. You can't post on their stream, but you can direct a post on yours to them, and they will get notified.

I think the point is that your stream is your stream, and you can direct each post to a person, or a circle, or publicly. Unlike FB where your wall is not only yours.
Ahh. I figured it out. Just type in their name in the share box instead of selecting a circle.

Weird system.

Terrell

makingmusic476 said:
Ahh. I figured it out. Just type in their name in the share box instead of selecting a circle.

Weird system.
It gets to be second nature after an extended run at it.

So far among my friends, it seems the killer feature is ability to use more characters and the ability to edit your posts and comments. Comes in handy when you're on mobile and your phone causes you to commit a spelling mistake.

snacknuts

we all knew her
makingmusic476 said:

The obvious answer to this "problem" is to send them an email.

EDIT: Okay, I didn't realize that you could have someone in a circle and not have access to what their email address is. Sorry for the asshole-ish reply.

DR3AM

Dreams of a world where inflated review scores save studios
how do i make make link to be "http://gplus.to/Eversynth" different name of course

Friend sent me an invite. It's useless for me until its mobile friendly or has an app. It keeps wanting me to log into my desktop to do anything useful.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
It's kind of weird. It'd be nice if you could tell people where you were from when adding them.

Is there an equivalent of a "group" system like Facebook? A public circle people can join or adopt as one of their own circles?

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
firehawk12 said:
Is there an equivalent of a "group" system like Facebook? A public circle people can join or adopt as one of their own circles?
No. If they ever do add it, I hope they have the option of blocking all invites to any of them.

kehs

Banned
firehawk12 said:
It's kind of weird. It'd be nice if you could tell people where you were from when adding them.

+Username Hi I'm firehawk12 from NeoGaf

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Ah, I see why I didn't get notes. People are just adding each other from the NeoGAF thread and there's no real chance to attach a message.

It seems like this wasn't meant for adding purely random people yet.

goober

I'd invite you, but I forgot how -_-

edit: yeah, idk where the invite button went, but apparently there's another way.

Quick

Banned
The layout is similar to Facebook, but cleaner. I like it a lot.

I had an invite button available, but it vanished. =\

mollipen

Is anybody having an issue with G+ where page aren't properly updating unless you do a hard reload (like as in hitting the reload button)? For example, I'll browse to a page I wasn't already on, something will look amiss, I'll hit reload, and then it'll show newer content.

I can't tell if it's an overall G+ issue right now, or if it's because I'm using the Dev version of Chrome.

goober

shidoshi said:
Is anybody having an issue with G+ where page aren't properly updating unless you do a hard reload (like as in hitting the reload button)? For example, I'll browse to a page I wasn't already on, something will look amiss, I'll hit reload, and then it'll show newer content.

I can't tell if it's an overall G+ issue right now, or if it's because I'm using the Dev version of Chrome.

Yeah, I'm guessing it takes a while to update everything. I just uploaded a profile pic, but on some pages it still shows the blank silhouette image.

Top Bottom