• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Google+ |OT| A New Social Network

kehs

Banned
shidoshi said:
Is anybody having an issue with G+ where page aren't properly updating unless you do a hard reload (like as in hitting the reload button)? For example, I'll browse to a page I wasn't already on, something will look amiss, I'll hit reload, and then it'll show newer content.

I can't tell if it's an overall G+ issue right now, or if it's because I'm using the Dev version of Chrome.

I don't think Google has giving G+ the priority it needs yet for it to be more consistent. Once they move it along side Gmail it should be golden.

omg.kittens said:
:lol, yup. That's what I've started doing.

It's funny how simply having direct messages inline with the stream makes them a little more informal and not so PRIVATE.

I love it so far. Got an invite through a friend who has a friend at Google. Gotten a lot of interest from friends though I don't have unvites. I really think Google's got a winner here. The circles idea is genius.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
APKmetsfan said:
I love it so far. Got an invite through a friend who has a friend at Google. Gotten a lot of interest from friends though I don't have unvites. I really think Google's got a winner here. The circles idea is genius.

It's still going to take a lot to beat Facebook. Maybe that isn't Google's goal right away, but it's definitely why this platform exists. Honestly, I would rather have a Google + account than a Facebook, but where my friends are is going to be where I end up staying.

The Circles idea is very nice for customization and privacy. It also functions nicely as a mix between Facebook and Twitter.

Cudder

RoadHazard said:
Well, do you know if anyone in the circles you've added to your chat list has added you to theirs? It's not enough that you just add them (which should be obvious if you think about it).

Another thing I just found out: I've been wondering why I've only been getting push notifications about new Huddle messages to my phone, and not about anything else (have only been getting those when launching the app). Turns out to have to go to the Google+ settings (in your desktop browser) and enable the other types of notifications you want pushed to your phone. For some reason they're all (except for Huddle messages) disabled by default, unlike e-mail notifications.
Needs to be quoted. Thanks. I can't fucking stand that Gmail is literally the only app on my Nexus One that actually has working Push notifications. Facebook claims to have it, but it's broken as fuck.

And most other apps just have you set a period of time (15 mins-2 hours) that the app refreshes itself and checks for anything new. Glad to know Google+ actually has push.

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
My profile is glitching

Profile pic keeps fluctuating
Its not displaying the right amount of folk that have added me, its actually spazing out giving me a questionable number
And a box for Chat options keeps appearing in the Home section

Its annoying

Marius_ said:
My profile is glitching

Profile pic keeps fluctuating
Its not displaying the right amount of folk that have added me, its actually spazing out giving me a questionable number
And a box for Chat options keeps appearing in the Home section

Its annoying
have you reported it yet?

Terrell

Shrinnan said:
It's still going to take a lot to beat Facebook. Maybe that isn't Google's goal right away, but it's definitely why this platform exists. Honestly, I would rather have a Google + account than a Facebook, but where my friends are is going to be where I end up staying.

The Circles idea is very nice for customization and privacy. It also functions nicely as a mix between Facebook and Twitter.
Well, I invited a good chunk of my FB friends, most of whom aren't tech geeks who desire the bleeding edge. They all love it. So I think that once the invites open up wider, you're going to see a much larger diaspora from Facebook than most people expect.

I'm intrigued, but between this, Facebook and Twitter this seems like a chore in addition.

Unless the overwhelming majority of my Facebook people jump, I don't see this having any effect on my life.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Nowy said:
I got in and I'm adding people from this thread. It seems a bit confusing, but it is 4am and I'm really tired. Add me at https://plus.google.com/113719768118762447503/posts
google-plus-cheat-sheet.jpg

Ryaaan14

Banned
So many people from GAF and Reddit accidentally sharing friends. It's kinda heartwarming.

Got a huge influx of IRL friends on G+ today, every day I enjoy using it more. Now we just need that GOT DAMN iPhone app. :_(

Big Chungus

I tried uploading a video and posting it on my wall but I accidentely canceled it and now i'm not sure how to repost that video.

The video is stored in an album but it doesn't have an option to repost on my wall.

Number45

KennyLinder said:
Well didn't two of them get removed?
Some were removed because they conflict with core features of the phone - the only way this will conflict with a core feature of the phone is if Facebook say it does (or Apple have plans).

htcloverboy said:
hey how can i invite friends to G+? It doesnt work for me with putting them in circles.
Looks like invites are closed again, when they're open you'll have a button on your stream page.

panda21

how do i get a nice url like that?

(not the one in the post above mine, the ones that are like usernames)

also is it generally open to the public now? i want to start trying to persuade my facebook friends to join but i dont want to peak too early

Ryaaan14

Banned
panda21 said:
how do i get a nice url like that?

(not the one in the post above mine, the ones that are like usernames)

also is it generally open to the public now? i want to start trying to persuade my facebook friends to join but i dont want to peak too early
http://gplus.to/

Probably should be added to the OP.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Number45 said:
Some were removed because they conflict with core features of the phone - the only way this will conflict with a core feature of the phone is if Facebook say it does (or Apple have plans).

It will conflict with the phot autoupload in the upcoming cloud for sure.

We may see a slimmed down G+ app, but I doubt as full featured as Android.

I had my wife as "sharing via email only", set in my Family circle. I posted a message to family, she got an email, and in the email she had the opportunity to sign up, which she just did.

AndyD

aka andydumi
JodyAnthony said:
I had my wife as "sharing via email only", set in my Family circle. I posted a message to family, she got an email, and in the email she had the opportunity to sign up, which she just did.

Yep, that's one way to do it. However, sometimes even with the email you can't sign up, it simply says stay tuned.

So they either have open invites, invites by sharing only, or not open at all.

kehs

Banned
They're finally adding indicators about where people are in relation to your circles, pretty cool.

All the +1s now say "+11 by people outside your circles".

Copernicus said:
They're finally adding indicators about where people are in relation to your circles, pretty cool.

I was kind of confused by that because when I clicked to see who marked a +1 it's by people who are in one of my circles and I thought it was referring to people I haven't added anywhere, but I'm assuming it means people who ARE in one of my circles, but not in the same circle I placed the person who shared the content?

Enco

Copernicus said:

I don't get it.

Top Bottom