• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Google+ |OT| A New Social Network

Enco said:
I don't get it.
a6Y7c.jpg

Ripclawe

Banned
Lesiroth said:
So how are you guys grouping GAF members so far? Just a simple GAF circle? (Like I did)
Thats what I did.

Now to find an easier way to add people from that mega gaf post. anyway to add in one easy method?

Shambles

Wish I could claim two gplus redirects. One for my gaming name, one for my real name. Ah well, just made a gplus.to and plus.ly one. I'll just have to remember which names goes to which service.

mollipen

AndyD said:
It will conflict with the phot autoupload in the upcoming cloud for sure.

No it won't.

The only Google app I can think of that had issues was Google Voice, and Apple's argument (for right or wrong) was that it conflicted with the primary function of the iPhone - as in, being a phone. Also, it may or may not have been AT&T not liking the fact that Google Voice allows people to avoid stuff they want money for (like text messages).

Auto-uploading photos won't be a conflict. There's no way Apple is going to get that specific in attacking features of apps, because then suddenly anything that plays music, for example, can be argued to be a conflict with the iPod functions.

I mean, unless this argument is also the reason we don't have an official Google-made Google Maps app on the iPhone. If that is the case, then screw Apple for sticking me with that crap they put together. It's so ridiculously bad.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
Terrell said:
Well, I invited a good chunk of my FB friends, most of whom aren't tech geeks who desire the bleeding edge. They all love it. So I think that once the invites open up wider, you're going to see a much larger diaspora from Facebook than most people expect.

I'm going to invite a good chunk of my facebook friends too so I hope they will try it out. I really like the design and features (you can finally edit your posts! - I don't believe facebook offers this option so correct me if I'm wrong).

Honestly, facebook is definitely behind on a lot of things that Google+ does.

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
Shrinnan said:

Honestly, facebook is definitely behind on a lot of things that Google+ does.
And the thing is, they can't really catch up unless they fundamental change their philosophy on some things. FB has been stagnant about that for a few years now.

Shrennin

SpeedingUptoStop said:
And the thing is, they can't really catch up unless they fundamental change their philosophy on some things. FB has been stagnant about that for a few years now.

What exactly is their philosophy now? What things are they against exactly? I've already mentioned this already, but I can think of no reason for there not to be an edit button for one's wall posts and status updates (there is a way to edit one of those if you're quick enough but you definitely can't do both). There are many other things facebook is missing that Google+ offers but the edit option just seems like common sense.

On features not offered by either facebook or Google+, I sort of understand - like the dislike button that is often wanted by many people.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
Anyone hear about any potential updates? The most frequent suggestion I see is customizing which streams are shown on default, or creating 'stream lists' where you can exclude or include particular streams. That would be great.

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
Shrinnan said:
What exactly is their philosophy now? What things are they against exactly? I've already mentioned this already, but I can think of no reason for there not to be an edit button for one's wall posts and status updates (there is a way to edit one of those if you're quick enough but you definitely can't do both). There are many other things facebook is missing that Google+ offers but the edit option just seems like common sense.

On features not offered by either facebook or Google+, I sort of understand - like the dislike button that is often wanted by many people.
I'm talking friend requests, mutually agreements that you guys are "friends". things like that, where they would more prefer everyone to know everything about each other, whereas google wants people you know to be treated differently from one another.

Shrennin

Kinitari said:
Anyone hear about any potential updates? The most frequent suggestion I see is customizing which streams are shown on default, or creating 'stream lists' where you can exclude or include particular streams. That would be great.

What about steams also being in chronological order? I know the streams are arranged by most popular, but the one thing facebook does that I think Google+ should incorporate is the Top News/Most Recent differentiation.

Unless there is already a way to do this...?

SpeedingUptoStop said:
I'm talking friend requests, mutually agreements that you guys are "friends". things like that, where they would more prefer everyone to know everything about each other, whereas google wants people you know to be treated differently from one another.

Okay, I see now. It essentially makes it impossible for facebook to incorporate the more "twitter" like features that google+ does (a "Following" Circle would be impossible in facebook because Google+ allows you to add people to Circles without having to have the other person's agreement).

Just had a great Google+ Hangout with a couple of friends, really seeing the potential of this. I think it can become a great video podcasting tool imbedded within the Google community.

SpeedingUptoStop said:

They are suffering from the hotmail syndrome ... they dont update anyhting to not upset their userbase, and in the process they are left with an old a cumbersome interface

Shurs

Gary Whitta said:
Just had a great Google+ Hangout with a couple of friends, really seeing the potential of this. I think it can become a great video podcasting tool imbedded within the Google community.

I hope my "who has the cooler cell phone" comment didn't come off as pretentious, Gary.

It certainly wasn't meant as an indictment of the technology or people who use it to talk about whatever they'd like to talk about. I just thought, within the context of the video, it was funny.

Part of the reason I wound up in a Google+ Hangout today was because I tried to start a Facebook video chat with a friend but the tech was so broken we went over to Google instead and it worked flawlessly. Definitely feels like Facebook rushed the launch of video chat to counter Google+, the tech is not reliable at all right now.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
i will wait 6+ months and see where the crowd stands on this, and if it becomes the popular thing amongst my friends, i will definitely jump in. without the people, in these initial stages, such a thing has limited use to me; hell, most of my closest friends have a love-hate relationship with social media, so their adoption of this will be slow, i'm sure.

Vire

Gary Whitta said:
Part of the reason I wound up in a Google+ Hangout today was because I tried to start a Facebook video chat with a friend but the tech was so broken we went over to Google instead and it worked flawlessly. Definitely feels like Facebook rushed the launch of video chat to counter Google+, the tech is not reliable at all right now.
Yep, I had multiple problems with Facebook's video chat earlier this morning - I just wanted to test it for comparison sake.

Last night, I used Hangout to connect with my brother and his wife in NYC, it's fantastic how simple and easy it is to use.

Now if I could only convince the rest of the world to switch over... :/

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
it's never really been "open to everyone" per se -- although there's some twitter feed (not google) that keeps saying that. it's still in field trial, and invites open for specific periods. afaik at least

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
You know how you can click on Limited in the Stream to see who the post is shared with? Is there a way to disable that, so that when I post something Limited, no one can see who it's actually being shared with?

AndyD

aka andydumi
Bboy AJ said:
You know how you can click on Limited in the Stream to see who the post is shared with? Is there a way to disable that, so that when I post something Limited, no one can see who it's actually being shared with?

Good catch. I agree. Suggest it with the feedback link.

kehs

Banned
Bboy AJ said:

Wouldn't that lead to situations like Jay Leno in the closet during a meeting?

lo escondido

Apartheid is, in fact, not institutional racism
The main thing I don't like is that by putting someone in the following circle they can see my whole profile. By default they can see everything I post since whenever I post the default option is "your circles". Is there a way to change the default sharing? And is there a way to change the privacy of a post after the fact?

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
lo escondido said:
The main thing I don't like is that by putting someone in the following circle they can see my whole profile. By default they can see everything I post since whenever I post the default option is "your circles". Is there a way to change the default sharing?
I believe it simply defaults to whatever circles you posted to last. So if you post to Your Circles all the time, then yes everything will go to Your Circles. But of course, you can easily change the recipients of any individual post. I have one called *Inbox which is basically everyone except the people I'm following. I suppose if I wanted to blast a post to everyone but followees, I could post to there, but nearly all of my posts are more fine-grained than that -- to 1-3 Circles, or even sometimes to just a handful of specific people.

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
Gary Whitta said:
I don't know why so many people follow celebrities on social networks, their tweets/messages are usually the dullest things imaginable.

Just like everybody else on twitter then.

NinjaFridge said:
Just like everybody else on twitter then.
You're following the wrong people then. There are many people on Twitter who consistently post interesting, entertaining and intelligent stuff. But it seems as though the more famous the celebrity, the less interesting their tweets are.

Gary Whitta said:
I don't know why so many people follow celebrities on social networks, their tweets/messages are usually the dullest things imaginable.

Unless they're Steve Martin, Edgar Wright, Simon Pegg, or Nick Frost.

It's amazing how hilarious Rainn Wilson can be as Dwight Schrute but god he is awful with jokes on Twitter.

Top Bottom