• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Google+ |OT| A New Social Network

kehs

Banned
Please accept our apologies for the spam we caused this afternoon.

For about 80 minutes we ran out of disk space on the service that keeps track of notifications. Hence our system continued to try sending notifications. Over, and over again. Yikes.

We didn't expect to hit these high thresholds so quickly, but we should have.

Thank you for helping us during this field trial, and once again, we are very sorry for the spam.

Google ran out of space.

inconceivable.gif

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
MidnightCowboy said:
I started using it today. It's pretty bad. Far less intuitive than Facebook, but I suppose it's still early.

Not jumping down your throat, but what did you find un-intuitive? I have a few things I really don't like, and I hope they are working on fixes/feature adds. What are your complaints?

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Kinitari said:
Anyone hear about any potential updates? The most frequent suggestion I see is customizing which streams are shown on default, or creating 'stream lists' where you can exclude or include particular streams. That would be great.
That would make G+ sooooooo much more usable for me.

Kinitari said:
Not jumping down your throat, but what did you find un-intuitive? I have a few things I really don't like, and I hope they are working on fixes/feature adds. What are your complaints?
I don't like how you need someone's email to chat with them, you can't write on someone's "wall" or whatever, the photo viewing system is a little wonky. Really just simple things that I feel Facebook does better. I'm not going to quit on Google+ though, because it is early and I have faith Google knows what they are doing.

Ryaaan14

Banned
MidnightCowboy said:
I don't like how you need someone's email to chat with them, you can't write on someone's "wall" or whatever, the photo viewing system is a little wonky. Really just simple things that I feel Facebook does better. I'm not going to quit on Google+ though, because it is early and I have faith Google knows what they are doing.
I think you're under the impression Google+ is supposed to be a new Facebook, when it is actually something completely different.

Vinci

Danish
I am sold. I enjoy G+ so much more than Facebook - just the ease of use and convenience is great, and this is when it's running at much lower capacity than when it opens up entirely. That says a lot.

So yeah, I'm good with this. I'm hoping I can bring everyone over from Facebook to this, but that might be a challenge. Oh well.

Ryaaan14 said:
I think you're under the impression Google+ is supposed to be a new Facebook, when it is actually something completely different.

Exactly. Its priorities are different.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
MidnightCowboy said:

I think first, while I agree with some of your points, you need to make sure you aren't expecting Facebook 2.0.

That being said, personal messaging is something that is consistent not just in social sites like facebook, but in pretty much any site where people can interact - they definitely need to make it more intuitive.

jayb

Are there any businesses or news sites that are on Google+? I like following twitter accounts like this, and it would be great to do the same on Google+. It's like Facebook and Twitter combined! Loving it so far.

Just a couple of general impressions, these points may have already been raised:

It's very impressive to see how much the "+1" button has already proliferated on content sites all over the web, it already seems as ubiquitous as Twitter and Facebook buttons. Apparently the number of +1 hits your site gets directly affects its ranking in Google search results. This is a very smart move by Google, leveraging its massive power in search to help get Google+ known around the web. It's amazing how quickly webmasters will adopt something when Google is holding your page ranking hostage!

One of the things I really like is Google+'s Twitter-like functionality, it's like Twitter but better. Like on Twitter I can post something publicly to anyone who's following me and get a ton of interesting responses, but unlike Twitter they are actually threaded into a real Facebook-style conversation, not just a bunch of singular replies. Best of both worlds!

felipeko

jayb said:
Are there any businesses or news sites that are on Google+? I like following twitter accounts like this, and it would be great to do the same on Google+. It's like Facebook and Twitter combined! Loving it so far.
Google is asking them to wait for the business profiles release...

ShadiWulf

Do the images on google+ load for anyone else? Or am I the only one having the issue. It happens no matter what browser I'm using.

Sent feedback to google to tell them about it.

eznark

Banned
Gary Whitta said:
Just a couple of general impressions, these points may have already been raised:

It's very impressive to see how much the "+1" button has already proliferated on content sites all over the web, it already seems as ubiquitous as Twitter and Facebook buttons. Apparently the number of +1 hits your site gets directly affects its ranking in Google search results. This is a very smart move by Google, leveraging its massive power in search to help get Google+ known around the web. It's amazing how quickly webmasters will adopt something when Google is holding your page ranking hostage!

One of the things I really like is Google+'s Twitter-like functionality, it's like Twitter but better. Like on Twitter I can post something publicly to anyone who's following me and get a ton of interesting responses, but unlike Twitter they are actually threaded into a real Facebook-style conversation, not just a bunch of singular replies. Best of both worlds!

Participating in the thread you created on +1's I'm starting to see the power and possibilities of using real names. Dyack was right! I've always liked that the WSJ tried to use real names to foster more intelligent conversation, and if the quasi-public nature of G+ can do the same thing, I think it could be very powerful and internet-wide game-changing.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
When you invite someone to use Google+, is the email you send them the one Google+ uses or does it allow the person to choose the email to use? Does it have to be a GMail email?

kehs

Banned
MidnightCowboy said:

Think of everything you do on G+ as being on the same level.

So when you share something, the only difference between a wall post and pm, is who it's directed to.

So a "pm" is just a share with one person.

A "wall post" is just a share directed at a group of people.

There is no wall.

p.s. the redditor / gaf overlap appears to be quite large on G+.

Achtius

Does anyone know if the people in the "following" circle can see the posts I set to "Your circle"?

Also is there any way to include picture in the google + app when posting? I take the picture in the google + app but the photo doesn't show up until I add them manually in the google + website.

Terrell

shidoshi said:
No it won't.

The only Google app I can think of that had issues was Google Voice, and Apple's argument (for right or wrong) was that it conflicted with the primary function of the iPhone - as in, being a phone. Also, it may or may not have been AT&T not liking the fact that Google Voice allows people to avoid stuff they want money for (like text messages).

Auto-uploading photos won't be a conflict. There's no way Apple is going to get that specific in attacking features of apps, because then suddenly anything that plays music, for example, can be argued to be a conflict with the iPod functions.

I mean, unless this argument is also the reason we don't have an official Google-made Google Maps app on the iPhone. If that is the case, then screw Apple for sticking me with that crap they put together. It's so ridiculously bad.
Don't disagree with them, dude. Google wants Apple dead, and vice versa, according to some, and nothing shall sway their opinion.
I stand by my idea that Apple will bake Google+ into iOS, if only to protect itself from Android holding G+ integration as an advantage against iOS if G+ ends up being insanely popular.

DR3AM

Dreams of a world where inflated review scores save studios
major work needs to be done for g+ to go public. i still cant believe they released a beta.

kehs

Banned
Terrell said:
Don't disagree with them, dude. Google wants Apple dead, and vice versa, according to some, and nothing shall sway their opinion.
I stand by my idea that Apple will bake Google+ into iOS, if only to protect itself from Android holding G+ integration as an advantage against iOS if G+ ends up being insanely popular.

Why would google want apple dead? Apple consistently provides clients to Google on a steady basis.

DR3AM said:
major work needs to be done for g+ to go public. i still cant believe they released a beta.
Practically every online service in history has gone through some form of semi-private beta and for good reason, why would this one be any different? Would you have preferred they release a product to the public without any testing in the wild?

Terrell

Copernicus said:
Why would google want apple dead? Apple consistently provides clients to Google on a steady basis.
Dunno. Ask people in this thread that said it was unlikely to impossible for Apple to ever bake G+ into iOS because they're competitors out for each other's blood and will perform every dirty tactic possible to screw each other over. Like saying G+ Instant Upload "duplicates functionality" with iCloud and will be delayed ala Google Voice.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Terrell, baked in meaning OS hooks. If you've used Android before, you know what people mean when they say baked in.

MidnightCowboy said:
I don't think you know what intuitive means.

Terrell

Bboy AJ said:
Terrell, baked in meaning OS hooks. If you've used Android before, you know what people mean when they say baked in.
I know what it means. I'm saying full integration like what has been done with Twitter, OS hooks and all.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Terrell said:
I know what it means. I'm saying full integration like what has been done with Twitter, OS hooks and all.
We'll see...

2th

Banned
G+ makes me realize how many people I am friends with on Facebook that I just don't give a shit about. I honestly could never talk to the 90 or so people I went high school with that I Am friends with and never care. G+ lets me start fresh and only add the people I actually want to hear about.

Karl2177

So the invite system is essentially viral. Can someone who gets an invite, then invite someone else in turn? Next question, where does one go (aside from waiting at the plus.google page) to get an invite?

DR3AM said:

The rough-around-the-edges beta is still a lot more enjoyable than Facebook. What does that say about Facebook?

I'm getting my friends into Google+, they're really digging the clean interface and responsiveness. But quick question. If I added a public post to my wall, is it possible to edit the permissions from Public to one of my circles? I don't see that option.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
PartlyCloudlike said:
I'm getting my friends into Google+, they're really digging the clean interface and responsiveness. But quick question. If I added a public post to my wall, is it possible to edit the permissions from Public to one of my circles? I don't see that option.
I don't believe that option currently exists. You could delete and repost for now.

-KRS-

KennyLinder said:
When you +1 on a website, should it also appear in the Google+ Stream?

No it'll just show up under your "+1s" in your profile from what I understand.

@Jamesfrom818: Indeed, that was the first thing I looked for in reader after signing up for G+. It's only a matter of time until they implement something like that though. They already have the "Like" button so it only seems natural.

eznark

Banned
Jamesfrom818 said:
Google Reader really needs to be updated with some +1 action.
Word. And there needs to be a Circles Spark that grabs all my friends plus 1'd articles so I can read them. Finally maybe the reader share feature will be useful.

gcubed

Gary Whitta said:

I believe the +1s affect your ranking when people in you friend list do it, I don't think it has global consequences. If I'm remembering correctly from when they rolled it out

bengraven

Gary Whitta said:
I don't know why so many people follow celebrities on social networks, their tweets/messages are usually the dullest things imaginable.

Yeah, for example you would think Hugh Hefner's tweets would be amazing. You would think. Man is intelligent, is surrounded by beautiful women, and has embraced technology.

Nah. "Crystal went to the zoo today". "Today, Maria stopped by". "I lost my keys, Bill can you find them for me?".

wrowa

Okay, I'm in. And... I don't get it. People say G+ isn't supposed to be like Facebook, but... what it is supposed to be? How do I use it correctly?

It's not helpful that I don't really know any persons I could add to my circles either.

http://gplus.to/wrowa/

Top Bottom