• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Google+ |OT| A New Social Network

Edit (Changing email)

I've been adding people right and left. Mostly it's been broken down into 2 circles. Gamers (I wana see stuff about games) and acquaintance ( you put your link up but I saw nothing about games). I'll probably start switching it up in a week or so.

Pand

wrowa said:
Okay, I'm in. And... I don't get it. People say G+ isn't supposed to be like Facebook, but... what it is supposed to be? How do I use it correctly?

It's not helpful that I don't really know any persons I could add to my circles either.

http://gplus.to/wrowa/

Create a GAF circle, add the people from this thread: https://plus.google.com/105251028773238389520/posts/BTpM3ekbbcp

It starts to get fun when you have multiple circles with a good number of people in them. The appeal, at least to me, is being able to manage who gets to see what easily.

Epix said:
so far it looks like video calls are computer to computer and not phone to phone. is this correct?
Yeah, there's no "hangout" for phones yet.

The latest version of Google Talk for Android has video chat, though, so I imagine it will be rolled in soon, carrier buffoonery notwithstanding.

Anyone else think that Google needs to implement a "Quick Share" input field that follows you on all pages? I feel it would be better than having to go back to your stream each time.

eznark

Banned
RJNavarrete said:
Anyone else think that Google needs to implement a "Quick Share" input field that follows you on all pages? I feel it would be better than having to go back to your stream each time.
Upper right corner of the google bar thing.

kehs

Banned
RJNavarrete said:

Top right of your screen.

Enco

Invites are still open which is cool.

Hopefully I can get more friends on (got an old friend on who then went on to invite several other people. You can thank me later Google :p).

edit: They should add an area where you can view a complete history of everything you have done with your account. That way you can easily find posts and comments and delete things or keep track of them.

kehs

Banned
I've block three people so far.

Those three people are redditors.

Coincidence?

Redditors on gaf: Stop sharing so much dudes.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
OchreHand said:
I think I goofed. I saw some photo albums on my G+ account and deleted them, and now all my images that are on my blog are gone. Pooooooooop.

That's because Google+ Photos = Picasa (they are basically just two different interfaces for accessing and managing the same photos), and Blogspot/Blogger uses Picasa for image hosting.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Copernicus said:
I've block three people so far.

Those three people are redditors.

Coincidence?

Redditors on gaf: Stop sharing so much dudes.
I don't like reddit. That place is really annoying.

OchreHand

RoadHazard said:
That's because Google+ Photos = Picasa (they are basically just two different interfaces for accessing and managing the same photos), and Blogspot/Blogger uses Picasa for image hosting.

I had a feeling that was the reason.. Oh well, time to re-upload images dating back from 2007 !

Cruzader

Banned
Marius_ said:
PM me your email

PM sent! thanx again!!!

Anyways I have held back from using FB. I worry about my public info being out there so would G+ be any different?

I just dont like the idea of having all my info being public but Ill give G+ a try and get some of my family & friends in there.

Number45

Cruzader said:
Anyways I have held back from using FB. I worry about my public info being out there so would G+ be any different?
It's much more transparent when you're setting up who can see what, it doesn't make the assumption from the off that you want everyone to see everything.

And on top of that you have the circles feature, to ensure you're sharing only with those you want to.

Enco

Is the 'Extended Circles' a new feature?

Instead of always saying 'Limited' or 'Public' I can now see 'Extended Circles' in the top right of posts. When you highlight it you get:

Visible to everyone in XXX's circles, plus all the people in their circles.

Cruzader

Banned
Good to know. Im a person that doesnt really like to tell when its my Bday so not to make a big deal and I've always worried these social sites would let everyone know in your FL that its your bday or something and Ill get tons of text messages or calls or something.

Im weird like that, sorry. I like to keep that in the down low so theres no pressure on parties and such since Im not a big party guy. Hope I can hide that info on G+! (yea even family members, I dont like to remind them of things like my Bday.)

Thanx for the info though. I just want something to keep in touch and share online stuff like videos or new music on blogs. thats it.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Enco said:
Is the 'Extended Circles' a new feature?

Instead of always saying 'Limited' or 'Public' I can now see 'Extended Circles' in the top right of posts. When you highlight it you get:

Nah, that's been there all along.

Toddler

How do I embed Youtubes into my stream?

On FB, all I need to do is post the link, but when I do that in G+ it just posts the link.

EDIT: Nevermind, got it. The "Add Video" button has a Youtube feature built in.

DR3AM

Dreams of a world where inflated review scores save studios
how do i set it up so that updates are in order by latest on top, like fb

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
The app is down for me, saying it's unable to communicate with the servers. Anyone else?

Edit: I killed the app and restarted it. Works.

Number45

Toddler said:
How do I embed Youtubes into my stream?

On FB, all I need to do is post the link, but when I do that in G+ it just posts the link.

EDIT: Nevermind, got it. The "Add Video" button has a Youtube feature built in.
I just pasted the full link it and it automatically parses it and places it in the post.

Earl Cazone said:
I have this yellow 1 all the time without a visible reason.

and: why is it gimped in opera?
Judging from the anger earlier in the thread, I'm guessing you need to edit your user agent string.

wrowa said:
Okay, I'm in. And... I don't get it. People say G+ isn't supposed to be like Facebook, but... what it is supposed to be? How do I use it correctly?

It's not helpful that I don't really know any persons I could add to my circles either.

http://gplus.to/wrowa/

The best thing to do is export your Facebook friends in order to grow your circles. I think the second thing to do is to join the circle all the NeoGAF folks as well. It is like being able to read both the OT and Gaming Forum at the same time.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Earl Cazone said:
I have this yellow 1 all the time without a visible reason.

and: why is it gimped in opera?

Google doesn't support Opera, and blocks/gimps certain features in it. I love Google's services, and I love Opera, but unfortunately they are very hard to use together in some cases.

For those who want to see something like the public stream on G+

go to google.com

put in : site:plus.google.com in the search followed by hashtag such as #neogaf and you will see all the public stream statuses etc for neogaf

again its not perfect but its something

Enco

Gummifaust said:
Good idea! Although I think it would be better that this discussion would be not visible for everyone. I guess not everyone what the comments on NeoGaf connected to their real name.
I was thinking about that but decided since the comment was public anyway people wouldn't mind.

I can make it private so you have to quote it to get it if you think that's better. You'll have to remove it from your quote though.

Enco said:
I can make it private so you have to quote it to get it if you think that's better. You'll have to remove it from your quote though.

It's still visible to the web. I thought more of a site which is password-protected or something like that. Perhaps I am to paranoid.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
I wonder what the ETA is on Gmail integration, custom stream lists, streamlined personal stream UI, and docs+ is. Not all of these features mind you, but just... some. It's barely a week old, but I find myself impatient.

Enco

Gummifaust said:
It's still visible to the web. I thought more of a site which is password-protected or something like that. Perhaps I am to paranoid.
Only people who quote the post can see it. For example, quote this.

I'm so confused. When you share something on your page within a specific circle, does your post show up on their profile page? Or only on their stream?

Top Bottom