• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Google+ |OT| A New Social Network

Vinci

Danish
Just fully integrate GMail and Reader, Google. That's all I'll ever need. The rest is gravy compared to that. If I can handle all my email needs and all my articles through the G+ interface, along with additional functions for each from being G+ based, that would be world changing.

kehs

Banned
walbertsmith said:
How do you change the Sharing Details to display "Visible to Private List" instead of the members of your circles?

I've googled this and searched around on various forums, but haven't been able to figure it out. It's mentioned here in this blog, but I haven't been able to find the option to activate it.

http://lcadvanced.com/blog/google-plus-first-impressions

I think if you share a post to +person1 +person2 +person3 it will be a "private list" but if you share to a circle it will show the people in the list. Not 100% sure though.

jvalioli

Share to a list the same way you share to multple circles. You don't need to use +/@ tagging. Just type their names in the share box.

jvalioli said:
Share to a list the same way you share to multple circles. You don't need to use +/@ tagging. Just type their names in the share box.

Ah, interesting... thanks for that. However, if I just wanted to share it with a particular circle would that still work? Or would I have to type out a ton of individual names?

Enco

walbertsmith said:
Ah, interesting... thanks for that. However, if I just wanted to share it with a particular circle would that still work? Or would I have to type out a ton of individual names?
Just type in the circles name instead.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I'm pretty much completely over G+.
I got a few of my friends on it but nobody uses it.

SephCast

Brotherhood of Shipley's
Jtwo said:
I'm pretty much completely over G+.
I got a few of my friends on it but nobody uses it.

If you start using it and post cool stuff, then they'll feel okay to post cool stuff, then they'll invite their friends...

Korey

wv30D.png

SUPREME1

Banned
How do I get the +1 tab to show publicly on my profile?

I've checked the box that says I want it to show as a tab on my profile, but when I back out the tab does not show.

Is this something that will come later or is my prfile jacked for some reason?

Little help please.

unomas

Banned
Loving the sparks feature, and I had a random guy add me to one of his circles, and my only thought why was that he looked up people with my job description. I thought that was pretty cool, and it could definitely be used as a job networking tool. There are just so many things better about Google+ over Facebook that I'll never go back to Facebook. Once they open this thing to the masses it could be huge, but it seems like it's taking forever. I'm now getting all my news on topics I'm interested in via the sparks feature which is great, it will link to news articles, youtube videos etc. etc.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
SephCast said:
If you start using it and post cool stuff, then they'll feel okay to post cool stuff, then they'll invite their friends...
I do post cool stuff, and I made a new friend on G+ too! Its not G+'s fault. The service is great.

I'm not surprised, I wasn't using Facebook for the same reason. Its just not that interesting, and I really am one of those guys that is just gonna talk to his besties through text or IM.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
Is it possible to share something with your circles and for that shared post to only appear in your steam and not your circles' streams? In effect, that post will only be viewable on your profile by those circles?

Korey

Shrinnan said:
Is it possible to share something with your circles and for that shared post to only appear in your steam and not your circles' streams? In effect, that post will only be viewable on your profile by those circles?
This is why Google+ will fail.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Shrinnan said:
this post summarises why the masses will stick with FB :(

Korey said:
ha

kehs

Banned
Shrinnan said:

Wut?

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
Shrinnan said:

No, that would be like sharing something and sending a private message to yourself at the same time.

kehs

Banned
Actually, you can. It's a little complicate though.

First you have to remove them from all circles.

Then you have post a public comment to no one specifically.

Then you have to re add them to a circle.

This will create a public post without it showing up in their stream when you created the post.

Posts only get added to a person's stream after you add them to a circle. If they want to see a post visible to them before they were added to your circle they have to peruse your profile.

jediyoshi

Copernicus said:

Dude wants to put stuff up that's only viewable if you go to his page as opposed to it appearing in their stream. He didn't mean his stream as in the stream he sees when on the home page. I'm guessing.

remz

jediyoshi said:
Dude wants to put stuff up that's only viewable if you go to his page as opposed to it appearing in their stream. He didn't mean his stream as in the stream he sees when on the home page. I'm guessing.
Can you even do that on FB?

Dragon

Banned
Korey said:

Nope. It will succeed because will move on from that awful website called Facebook.

BTW dude estimates are 20 million peeps by the weekend. That's incredible growth. Suck it trebeck (hey guys this is cool even with the new r00lz right?)

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
duderon said:
No, that would be like sharing something and sending a private message to yourself at the same time.

The reason I asked this is because something like it happened. It may have been a glitch.

Rez said:
this post summarises why the masses will stick with FB :(

I'm sticking with G+ as long as my friends do. I was asking that because it actually happened. I didn't think it was possible, which is why I asked. I definitely support G+ over facebook.

jediyoshi said:

Yeah, this is what happened. I didn't want to do it though, I just found out that it happened. I'm guessing it may have been a glitch.

Posts only get added to a person's stream after you add them to a circle. If they want to see a post visible to them before they were added to your circle they have to peruse your profile.

This *might* explain what happened, but the time on the post itself doesn't match quite match up.

I also get this error that says: "Unable to fetch audience list"

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
AahahahaHAHHAHA, that was really funny. I am laughing.
You know its totally true, too.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Jeff Minter is following me on G+.

Jeff Minter would probably not follow me on any other service.

Therefore, G+ wins.

Really though, this seems like the best way to bring EVERYONE you know or are interested in together. Both real life and 'internets' people. I like.

edit - oh, and once again, I am here: http://plus.ly/gofreak

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
What the hell, I put in my email ages ago and still no invite from Google. How the hell do you build up a network effect when you don't let people in? I wanna try this, I want to get into it, people are complaining that there aren't enough people on, yet Google won't let me in. There is a very limited window in which something like this will work. It's not like I hate FB, I was willing to give Plus a shot, but who knows if I will care by the time they decide to let me in to their empty walled garden.

ramyeon

VanMardigan said:
What the hell, I put in my email ages ago and still no invite from Google. How the hell do you build up a network effect when you don't let people in? I wanna try this, I want to get into it, people are complaining that there aren't enough people on, yet Google won't let me in. There is a very limited window in which something like this will work. It's not like I hate FB, I was willing to give Plus a shot, but who knows if I will care by the time they decide to let me in to their empty walled garden.
This is exactly what they did with Gmail at launch as well. People always want things they can't get easily more.

VanMardigan said:
I suppose you could wait until July 31 when they have open registration.

Menelaus

Banned
VanMardigan said:
No one likes a whiner, Walter.

kehs

Banned
VanMardigan said:

pm me your address

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Shrinnan said:
this is you saying

'where is the facebook wall?'

the answer is that it's not like facebook in that sense, there is no 'wall' there are streams instead.

It doesn't work like facebook, allthough there are a lot of similarities.

I can see the point that G+ will not gel with people that like to use facebook as a sort of 'look at my life and see how cool it is' presentation zone.

But all that stuff... I mean it's stupid, when have you ever viewed somebodies old wall posts? Usually you will want to see their pics/videos, and those are stored on their profile.

Dragon

Banned
I'm convinced we need mutual circles. Otherwise what's the point of me organizing people into groups like Programmers if they're going to share stuff about their kids to me?

Top Bottom