• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Google+ |OT| A New Social Network

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
VanMardigan said:
What the hell, I put in my email ages ago and still no invite from Google. How the hell do you build up a network effect when you don't let people in? I wanna try this, I want to get into it, people are complaining that there aren't enough people on, yet Google won't let me in. There is a very limited window in which something like this will work. It's not like I hate FB, I was willing to give Plus a shot, but who knows if I will care by the time they decide to let me in to their empty walled garden.
Yeah, you care so much right now. I can totally tell. You care so much that you know exactly where to look for an invite and how to get in.

Loxley

I'm amazed at how many people I've seen on Facebook talking about Google+ and how awesome it is, Google is certainly doing a good job at getting the buzz going.

I just got an invite myself, I like it thus far, hope to play around with it a bit more later today.

So did anyone else notice this?:

You used to be able to share an animated gif, and the gif would animate when shared. Now when I try to share an animated gif, it's static unless you click on it. Wonder why they changed that.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
catfish said:
this is you saying

'where is the facebook wall?'

the answer is that it's not like facebook in that sense, there is no 'wall' there are streams instead.

It doesn't work like facebook, allthough there are a lot of similarities.

I can see the point that G+ will not gel with people that like to use facebook as a sort of 'look at my life and see how cool it is' presentation zone.

But all that stuff... I mean it's stupid, when have you ever viewed somebodies old wall posts? Usually you will want to see their pics/videos, and those are stored on their profile.

No, that's not what I'm saying. Perhaps I shouldn't have worded my post like that but what I described actually happened. I think it may have been a glitch (I'm also getting an error that my audience list cannot be fetched...or something).

I was asking if it was possible to determine if it was normal or not. Not that I wanted that type of feature in.

Loxley said:
I'm amazed at how many people I've seen on Facebook talking about Google+ and how awesome it is, Google is certainly doing a good job at getting the buzz going.

I just got an invite myself, I like it thus far, hope to play around with it a bit more later today.

So far I've been seeing the same thing with facebook, everyone is talking about G+ but when I go to G+ most of those same people aren't really using it. Hopefully as it expands my friends at least will use it more.

Shrennin

LyleLanley said:
So far I've been seeing the same thing with facebook, everyone is talking about G+ but when I go to G+ most of those same people aren't really using it. Hopefully as it expands my friends at least will use it more.

It's pretty much the same thing with facebook on my end. A lot of people are talking about it and discussing its possibilities. This means one of two things could happen: those people stay on facebook because of their friends, or they convince their friends to move over thus making G+ a replacement for facebook.

I didn't think G+ was going to make an impact on facebook, but now I see that it has the potential to.

Dork Knight said:

You used to be able to share an animated gif, and the gif would animate when shared. Now when I try to share an animated gif, it's static unless you click on it. Wonder why they changed that.
I wonder if users complained. Perhaps too many gifs add up and contribute too much to data plan limits.

kehs

Banned
Dork Knight said:

You have to attach a gif as a photo in order for it to animate. If you just drag it into the share box it's a thumbnail link.

LyleLanley said:

That just means they're not sharing with you. =P

Shrinnan said:
It's pretty much the same thing with facebook on my end. A lot of people are talking about it and discussing its possibilities. This means one of two things could happen: those people stay on facebook because of their friends, or they convince their friends to move over thus making G+ a replacement for facebook.

I didn't think G+ was going to make an impact on facebook, but now I see that it has the potential to.

Exactly what I've been thinking and I really hope it does as I love the idea of being able to add my parents, my boss and my friends on G+ and not have a single one of those groups see posts intended for the others. Hopefully I can convince my friends of it's usefulness.

Copernicus said:
That just means they're not sharing with you. =P

:(

saw this on facebook and then on google+

googleplus-vs-facebook-by-zirta.png

Copernicus said:
You have to attach a gif as a photo in order for it to animate. If you just drag it into the share box it's a thumbnail link.

I've been doing that and it doesn't work anymore. I think they changed it for whatever reason.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Bboy AJ said:
Yeah, you care so much right now. I can totally tell. You care so much that you know exactly where to look for an invite and how to get in.
I'm genuinely confused at what you're saying about me here.

kehs

Banned
Dork Knight said:
I've been doing that and it doesn't work anymore. I think they changed it for whatever reason.

Weird cause I'm looking at like three right now in my stream from today.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Dork Knight said:
Used to work for me, too, until two days ago. But it seems to work for others. I don't know.

Shrennin

I kinda already mentioned it twice but haven't really directly asked so I'll just ask:

What does the error: Unable to fetch audience list mean?

Is anyone getting that or is it just me?

JackEtc

A note to anyone adding us GAFfers on G+:

List your NeoGAF name in the "Other Names" section of your profile.

I love having a circle of cool gamers and OT folks to shoot the shit with (just reached 100 people in my GAF circle), but I'm sick of having random people adding me (especially those with no mutual GAFfers because they just joined) add me, and then having to go through every post and comment they've made seeing if they've mentioned NeoGAF anywhere. It's easier if, under "Other Names", it just says "NeoGAF: JackEtc" or whatever your name is. Listing it as a NeoGAF name makes it even easier so we don't have to find you on the online list.

Also post in this thread if you haven't already.

Ryaaan14

Banned
Shrinnan said:
I kinda already mentioned it twice but haven't really directly asked so I'll just ask:

What does the error: Unable to fetch audience list mean?

Is anyone getting that or is it just me?
I get it occasionally. G+ can have hiccups sometimes, especially while navigating hastily. Usually a hard refresh will do the trick though.

JackEtc said:

I love having a circle of cool gamers and OT folks to shoot the shit with (just reached 100 people in my GAF circle), but I'm sick of having random people adding me (especially those with no mutual GAFfers because they just joined) add me, and then having to go through every post and comment they've made seeing if they've mentioned NeoGAF anywhere. It's easier if, under "Other Names", it just says "NeoGAF: JackEtc" or whatever your name is. Listing it as a NeoGAF name makes it even easier so we don't have to find you on the online list.

Ja. You can expose it only to your NeoGAF circle, as well. I have my Steam name there, too.

JackEtc said:

A fine idea, and as Mr. Snrub says, you can reveal it only to your GAF circle or whomever you want. This should be put in the OP (if it isn't there already).

Was this posted already? 10 Google Chrome extensions to make G+ better:

1.Add your notifications bar to any site
2.Add a notifications button to your toolbar
3.Reply to a specific person in a comment thread
4.Enlarge photos just by scrolling over them
5.Plop your Facebook news feed in Google+
6.Retweet Google+ posts with one click
7.+1 web pages even if they don't have +1 buttons
8.Hide annoying comments within your stream
9.Get your Facebook photos on Google+ the easy way
10.Post to Twitter, Facebook, and Google+ at the same time

kehs

Banned
LyleLanley said:
Don't give in! Make them go to the proper thread.

I can't ignore skeptics. It's my only weakness.

-------

I submitted a request for a business account. Let's see what happens!

Meus Renaissance said:
Is there a single unified circle where we can find every gaffer?

This should help.

Darklord

Banned
planar1280 said:
saw this on facebook and then on google+

googleplus-vs-facebook-by-zirta.png

I don't really get these. I've seen so many comics and articles saying how Google+ is the next big thing and FB is screwed. FB is fucking gigantic, ten times the size myspace ever was(and the only reason that died was because of how cluttered and poorly managed it was). I'm sure a lot will try google plus but I can't imagine the mass population migrating to it even if it is better. It's like iphones. The next one could be a piece of shit but everyone will still buy it over an Android.

Copernicus said:
I submitted a request for a business account. Let's see what happens!

I'm really excited for the potential of business accounts on G+. Being able to video chat with 10 coworkers instead of paying for skype or other solutions could be awesome.

Darklord said:
I don't really get these. I've seen so many comics and articles saying how Google+ is the next big thing and FB is screwed. FB is fucking gigantic, ten times the size myspace ever was(and the only reason that died was because of how cluttered and poorly managed it was). I'm sure a lot will try google plus but I can't imagine the mass population migrating to it even if it is better. It's like iphones. The next one could be a piece of shit but everyone will still buy it over an Android.

Except more people by Androids.

Vinci

Danish
gofreak said:
Jeff Minter is following me on G+.

Jeff Minter would probably not follow me on any other service.

Therefore, G+ wins.

Really though, this seems like the best way to bring EVERYONE you know or are interested in together. Both real life and 'internets' people. I like.

edit - oh, and once again, I am here: http://plus.ly/gofreak

Damn. Had no idea that was you. Sorry, man.

One other question. Will newly added members of your circle be able to see your past postings for that circle? Unfortunate that you can't search for people by their Other Name, would come in handy for the GAF circle

Vinci

Danish
Meus Renaissance said:
One other question. Will newly added members of your circle be able to see your past postings for that circle? Unfortunate that you can't search for people by their Other Name, would come in handy for the GAF circle

Their past postings will show up in your Stream, yes. I added a GAFfer a few minutes ago and can see a post they made hours ago in my Stream.

JackEtc

DBebm5 said:
A fine idea, and as Mr. Snrub says, you can reveal it only to your GAF circle or whomever you want. This should be put in the OP (if it isn't there already).
Mr. Snrub said:
Ja. You can expose it only to your NeoGAF circle, as well. I have my Steam name there, too.

Yep. Mine says "NeoGAF: JackEtc, Almost everywhere else online: Jaklap", and I have my XBL and Steam profile in my links.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Okay, so I just joined and created a "Gamers" circle, and added a nickname "Lyphen" only visible to the "Gamers" circle. I'm doing this right, right?

Alright, added my GAF name under "Other Names" and have it shared to anyone I place in my GAF circle.

eznark, what's the deal with the sports gaf list? never saw a response on if you just fat fingered the link or what.

Lyphen said:
Okay, so I just joined and created a "Gamers" circle, and added a nickname "Lyphen" only visible to the "Gamers" circle. I'm doing this right, right?

Yeah, now just add gaffers/whoever to the gamers circle.

SUPREME1

Banned
Darklord said:

Android is currently outselling iPhones 2-1.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
This is good. Really good. The clean interface, the super easy circles, etc. But man does Google need to open this up. It feels so empty in there. Also, get iOS and Windows Phone apps out ASAP. I hope this catches on or forces FB to revamp their UI and lists functionality. This is much better.

VanMardigan said:
This is good. Really good. The clean interface, the super easy circles, etc. But man does Google need to open this up. It feels so empty in there. Also, get iOS and Windows Phone apps out ASAP. I hope this catches on or forces FB to revamp their UI and lists functionality. This is much better.

GAF keeps it alive for me. Kinda fun just having a circle full of nerds sharing cool shit.

Top Bottom