• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Google+ |OT| A New Social Network

-Babyteks-

Neo Member
Mr. Snrub said:
GAF keeps it alive for me. Kinda fun just having a circle full of nerds sharing cool shit.

Yeah pretty much.
Part of me wants more people to get on, friends and stuff. The other part knows that they won't be as 'nerdy' and G+ won't be as interesting anymore, it'll just be whiny Facebook statuses in a new interface.

Does anyone else feel the Buzz stream should be on your Post stream? It should be unified to see what your friend has 'liked' and commented on. And from what it looks like, I can't be notified of new comments on a post I've commented on without also being emailed that notification. Don't want to be emailed for that

Vinci

Danish
-Babyteks- said:
Yeah pretty much.
Part of me wants more people to get on, friends and stuff. The other part knows that they won't be as 'nerdy' and G+ won't be as interesting anymore, it'll just be whiny Facebook statuses in a new interface.

I've already got a few friends and family on it. They seem to have gotten into the spirit all right - which is great because they could be annoying as hell on Facebook.

Meus Renaissance said:
Does anyone else feel the Buzz stream should be on your Post stream? It should be unified to see what your friend has 'liked' and commented on. And from what it looks like, I can't be notified of new comments on a post I've commented on without also being emailed that notification. Don't want to be emailed for that

Not sure about the Buzz stream idea, but you can turn off email notifications in Account Settings.

shoplifter

Meus Renaissance said:
Just realised you can't post on someone's profile. Hmm

But you can select only that person to see the post. (unless I'm totally missing what you're saying - which now that I think about it I probably was)

Meus Renaissance said:
Just realised you can't post on someone's profile. Hmm

There is no real "wall" to post to. However, if you just use the + or @ modifier (or choose to only share with that person), they'll see it on their profile.

I GUESS you could post directly to the friend AND make it Public, if you wanted it to show on their wall? Anyone try this?

shoplifter said:
But you can select only that person to see the post. (unless I'm totally missing what you're saying - which now that I think about it I probably was)

One of the effects of posting on someone's wall is that it can begin a discussion/conversation with everyone that can see that 'wall'. So it wouldn't be limited to just a one on one way exchange; you can bring others into it.

Mr. Snrub said:
I GUESS you could post directly to the friend AND make it Public, if you wanted it to show on their wall? Anyone try this?

That's interesting. I'd like to know if this could work but it just seems a step too much.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I figured out why my G+ didn't have a widget. It's because I stored it on the SD card. D'oh!

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Meus Renaissance said:
One of the effects of posting on someone's wall is that it can begin a discussion/conversation with everyone that can see that 'wall'. So it wouldn't be limited to just a one on one way exchange; you can bring others into it.

That's interesting. I'd like to know if this could work but it just seems a step too much.
Post publicly and use an @ in the body of the message to your friend.

Step too much? Uh, okay.

kehs

Banned
Mr. Snrub said:

There is no wall.

It'll show up in your profile. Your circles will be able to see it. It will show up as a notification for the receiver. Unless the receiver chooses to reshare it to their circles, they won't know about it, and honestly...why should they?

Copernicus said:
There is no wall.

It'll show up in your profile. Your circles will be able to see it. It will show up as a notification for the receiver. Unless the receiver chooses to reshare it to their circles, they won't know about it, and honestly...why should they?

Slipped up in my words, I even state "there is no 'wall'" right before, whoops
lol.gif

If post discovery is what is wanted, yeah, just use the Public share option, in addition to their name.

If you want to emulate the wall, just call out the subject person and then add whatever circles you want to see it and be able to comment on it.

Get'sMad

I dig this, but confused how the chat works. Do you still have to like add people to it who aren't already in your gmail chat contacts or will they just show up in there if your friends with them on google+?

kehs

Banned
SimleuqiR said:
Google+ App update in the Market.

The "What's New" info seems to be the same as the last update.

????

https://plus.google.com/117841284165024027243/posts/6qmbsieEJ8g

Fun Features

- Customize your Stream to show streams from individual circles (Stream>Menu>Manage Views)

- New UI allows adding multiple people or entire circles to an existing group Huddle

- Set photo as wallpaper (when viewing photo)

Good Fixes

- Fixed some issues with the Swype keyboard

- If someone you've never huddled with before invites you to a group Huddle, you can now dismiss the invitation

- Performance improvements and bug fixes throughout the app

Weird....I'm showing I have the new version, but I don't have any of the new stuff.

Crazyorloco

SimleuqiR said:
Google+ App update in the Market.

The "What's New" info seems to be the same as the last update.

????

Punit Soni (G+ mobile app staff posted this today):

"Hi there...there is some new Android goodness coming to Market soon. Here is the new stuff in the G+ mobile app:

- Customize the main stream view to show streams from individual circles
- Fixed some issues encountered by users with the Swype keyboard
- Set permissions for who can start a huddle with you
- If someone you've never huddled with before invites you to a group huddle, you can now dismiss the invitation (without blocking them)
- New UI allows adding multiple people or entire circles to an existing group huddle
- Set photo as wallpaper
- Performance improvements and bug fixes throughout the app

Remember it takes some time for the update to roll out so please be patient :)Have fun! +Joe Rideout"

Awesome. I can't wait to download this.

*edit: Copernicus you're quick! lol :-D They really are actively updating this app pretty quickly. We had an update not too long ago. I love you Google.

modernkicks said:
I dig this, but confused how the chat works. Do you still have to like add people to it who aren't already in your gmail chat contacts or will they just show up in there if your friends with them on google+?

Chat in G+ is kinda weird...doesn't seem to be much rhyme or reason as to who shows up.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
samus i am said:
Spent about an hour or two setting up my profile. Not really loving it so far.
There are ten options, you don't need to write your biography. I thought it was pretty simple, set some things for friends and family only, others to circles, and links to my steam community for gamers.

Enco

gcubed said:
an hour or two? wtf did you put in your profile?
:lol

It took me a total of 10 or so minutes to look through everything. Setting up my account and all the necessary privacy settings (little was changed) took around 2 minutes.

Vinci

Danish
Is there a way to assign a nickname to someone in your Circles (ie. you would see it and no one else would)? It'd be pretty awesome to switch people's visible name in my Circle to their GAF monikers.

Also: If there isn't a way to do it, there should be and Google should get on it STAT.

gcubed said:
an hour or two? wtf did you put in your profile?

I was very meticulous and weighted out the pros and cons of every setting. This is one of the reasons why I never complained about FB settings. I tested what everything does so there are no surprises, and have it set up perfectly.

SimleuqiR

10+ Million Confirmed!!

http://techcrunch.com/2011/07/14/larry-page-on-google-over-10-million-users-1-billion-items-shared/

Page says that Google+ now has over 10 million users who have created profiles, and these users are sharing 1 billion items per day. Page explains that in particular, Circles, which allows users select and organize their Google+ contacts into groups, has been a popular feature of Google+ amongst users.

To put those figures in perspective, Google+ only launched two weeks ago. At 10 million users, the network has already accumulated 1.3 percent of Facebook’s 750 million users in two weeks.

samus i am said:
I don't really like that people don't have an individual wall you can post on. It seems to work a lot like a group version of twitter.

To me that's a plus. You are in control of the type of content you want to share, and with whom. You want to share something with me, lets say something about a game, but also want your GAF circle to see it just +Myname and +GAF-circle.

SimleuqiR

thezerofire said:
so how do you communicate with your friends?

Your +Friend<circle>

I want to share something with GAF, I include the GAF circle.

You can pin point specifically who you want to share with: +friend1 +friend2, etc.

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
Vinci said:
Read that yesterday. There's another article projecting that it'll have 20 million by the weekend, which would be amazing.

That was speculation. This is coming from Google.

SUPREME1

Banned
To put those figures in perspective, Google+ only launched two weeks ago. At 10 million users, the network has already accumulated 13 percent of Facebook’s 750 million users in two weeks.

wat

Funny math is funny.

Top Bottom