• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Google+ |OT| A New Social Network

foodtaster said:
the reality is that people only care about google+ simply because it's not facebook. kind of like social hipsters. when facebook copies all of these features within a month plus has 700 million more users, people will still use google. why? cuse it's google of course

Thanks for telling me why I like G+. I didn't know that was the reality.

kehs

Banned
kaching said:
I'm not liking the cosmetic changes to Calendar though. I want my two tone event slots on my calendar back. Don't like the single color slots at all. Colors all look more pastel.

That multi colored column of calendars always made me cringe.

You can switch to the old look btw, hit the gear on the top right and use classic view.

I've noticed they've changed the look of google calendar a bit today, with the aim of creating a "more seamless and consistent online experience".

I'm hoping this means G+ integration so I can arrange things with my friends etc easily.

cory.

Banned
Most of the people in my circles have stopped talking about G+ and just started using it. So that's a good sign.

Jtwo said:
Well, what are they saying about it?
One of the big complains I heard was that half of the advertised features are useless if you don't own an android phone. Including huddle and instant upload. The other complaint is that the only real feature that is unique to Google is circles. Basically people saying that there is very little incentive to switch to google. Some people I talked to simply said "if you added only people you cared about, then you will see quickly that google+ is garbage"

TLDR: If you don't have an android phone, but have a google+ account. Guess what you can do! circles and sparks (and hangouts)!

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Duane Cunningham said:
I hope they add Huddle/Hangout to their mobile app. That would be nice to video group chat via smart phone. It'd be like multiplayer Facetime.
Huddle is in the Android app already.

Treefingers said:
The only thing I really want is private messages.
There's an email button on the left side of profiles. If that's not what you're looking for, why? Curious.

Duane Cunningham said:
I hope they add Huddle/Hangout to their mobile app. That would be nice to video group chat via smart phone. It'd be like multiplayer Facetime.

Huddle seems to be exclusive to the mobile app, I'd like if it worked with people in browsers too.

Enco

Treefingers said:
The only thing I really want is private messages. And what others have said about not allowing reshare before sharing something. Oh and possibly a Gmail counter in the top bar (not really + related but yeah).

Other than that, pretty damn cool.

Edit: Oh and possibly being able to see if someone's online?
I would hate that.

I don't want people thinking I'm blowing them by being online and not talking to them. I also don't want people knowing how long I've been online :p

Really hope this picks up.

The invitation loophole has been blocked. Wish I invited all my friends first.

survivor

Banned
Bboy AJ said:
There's an email button on the left side of profiles. If that's not what you're looking for, why? Curious.
I think his friends are assholes like mine who have that option removed.

cory.

Banned
Enco said:
I would hate that.

I don't want people thinking I'm blowing them by being online and not talking to them. I also don't want people knowing how long I've been online :p
I'm sure there would be an invisible option if they did that.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
survivor said:
Ha, assholes! It doesn't show your email address, anyway.

You could also make a post visible only to that friend.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
foodtaster said:
TLDR: If you don't have an android phone, but have a google+ account. Guess what you can do! circles and sparks!
I guess that's a fair point, but there are a lot of people with Android phones out there. Also, there is tons of skuttlebutt about an iOS app. So that would solve that problem.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Treefingers said:
Edit: Oh and possibly being able to see if someone's online?
Chat does that, just like in Gmail, but you have to enable it first in G+. Look on the left under the Sparks section and enable chat if you haven't already.

Bboy AJ said:
You're being ridiculous.
Facebook has an amazingly intuitive UI and that is a big part of the reason why they are successful. The only exception being their privacy options. Google+ added a layer of complexity with circles and streams.

This is what happens when I just want to block posts from an individual.

You won't see their content in your stream.
They won't be able to comment on your content.
They will be removed from your circles.
They will still be able to see your public posts.

I just want them off my newsfeed, not delete them.

survivor said:
They need to add a private messaging system. Many people value their email address as personal information. They want people to be able to communicate with them without disclosing a personal email.

kehs

Banned
foodtaster said:
Some people I talked to simply said "if you added only people you cared about, then you will see quickly that google+ is garbage"

Sounds like people that have 800 friends on FB.

GG-Duo

From an Interactive Marketing Consultant: http://blogs.forrester.com/nate_elliott/11-06-30-is_google_going_to_kill_facebook

For marketers, though, it's somewhat less exciting. If Google+ and the 'circles' concept takes off, companies could have a much harder time reaching people through social media. After all, if users spend more time posting content to and reading content from just their circles of friends, doesn't that make it harder for marketers to get a message through? The more selective a user is in who they listen to, the more likely they are to screen marketing out of their world. It's a growing fact of life in online marketing — Google's done something similar with its Gmail 'priority inbox' feature, and Twitter's lists (as well as the lists features in Tweetdeck and Hootsuite) help people screen out non-essential messages as well. And fragmentation of social platforms doesn't exactly help marketers either: The more unique social tools our customers use, the more time we spend developing for and managing different platforms. So if Google+ catches on, there's a real chance social media marketing will become more difficult than it already is.

marathonfool said:
Facebook has an amazingly intuitive UI and that is a big part of the reason why they are successful. The only exception being their privacy options. Google+ added a layer of complexity with circles and streams.

They need to add a private messaging system. Many people value their email address as personal information. They want people to be able to communicate with them without disclosing a personal email.

The only content you see of this person is the stuff he specifically shares with you (directly or through his circles).

You will never see "So and so changed his/her status" crap on here.

Like I mentioned earlier, Google+ isn't really too much like facebook. This thing seems to made purely to share information with each other. So if you don't want to see the information your friend is sharing, why even add him?

You're saying you want to add him to your Google+ account but don't want to see anything he shares? The ONLY thing you CAN view on Google+ is the stuff others share.

Bboy AJ

marathonfool said:
Agreed about FB. It works well but G+ is not "garbage in comparison." And yes, FB's privacy is convoluted. Probably on purpose.

Anyway, circles is not complex. Like I said before, it's just another way to use Friends Lists but with auto privacy options built in. Seems pretty intuitive to me.

Copernicus said:
Sounds like people that have 800 friends on FB.
Just about everyone I know has big friend lists. Facebook is more or less a contact directory that is managed remotely by the users themselves. People just don't use it as a private or limited network.

To assume people will only add those they know in person is a dead end for any social network. Google+ needs a better way to manage and filter incoming/outgoing information. Circles is a good start.
tycoonheart said:
The only content you see of this person is the stuff he specifically shares with you (directly or through his circles).

Like I mentioned earlier, Google+ isn't really too much like facebook. This thing seems to made purely to share information with each other. So if you don't want to see the information your friend is sharing, why even add him?

You're saying you want to add him to your Google+ account but don't want to see anything he shares? The ONLY thing you CAN view on Google+ is the stuff others share.
I add people because I know them. Some people over share so I don't want to see their updates. I rather use Google+ as a living contact directory. I think that's how most people see Facebook and why so many people hate their newsfeed.

Vinci

Danish
tycoonheart said:

Sounds like the perfect Friends Network to me. I mean, I guess that's what this is - not a Social Network, per se, but something more finite in scope and intention.

Enco

marathonfool said:

Surely if you don't want to see a 'friend' they're not really a friend?

I don't understand the fb users that have 5000 friends only to hide the posts from 4990. Nobody gives a crap how big your friends list is. If someone isn't your friend, don't add them. That's the most annoying thing about social networking and hopefully Google+ fixes this.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
foodtaster said:
the vast majority of people on facebook don't have smartphones
Right, but this is something a lot different. They said it's not meant to replace facebook, but to make the google experience better. It's not gonna kill facebook, and I really don't think that is the goal.

marathonfool said:
To assume people will only add those they know in person is a dead end for any social network.

That's an interesting take on it, but I'm not convinced this is true.

Facebook is a bit of a joke to me.. people add tons of friends.. then simply remove them from their news feed.. again.. what was the point of that? So you can spy on them if you feel the need?

But it is interesting.. Facebook seems geared towards a combination of extroverts, and voyeurs.

Perhaps there's room for both of these Networks in people's lives?

Google+ for more ACTUAL sharing with ACTUAL friends and family.. Facebook for the show offs and the voyeurs, or the show off/voyeur aspect of your personality?

It's not even a huge technical difference.. it's not like you can't keep a Facebook profile fairly private.. and only share what you want with limited people.. it's just not the common usage.. and you are bound to get "Friend requests" that become extremely obvious that you've denied or ignored... that's one aspect of Facebook Google+ seems to be handling, but it's also causing some people confusion it appears.

Enco

thespot84 said:
what's all this talk about personal emails? I can't see anyone's email anywhere on google+. What's the fuss about?
I think it's a misunderstanding.

If you want, you can enable an 'Email Me' button on your profile. You can choose who can see this and your email isn't shown at any point. People can send you an email without seeing your address. Pretty sweet feature.

kehs

Banned
thespot84 said:
what's all this talk about personal emails? I can't see anyone's email anywhere on google+. What's the fuss about?

No idea, but it does get disclosed if you start using gchat, and you can disclose it as well to certain circles, but it's hidden by default.

cory.

Banned
Enco said:
Surely if you don't want to see a 'friend' they're not really a friend?

I don't understand the fb users that have 5000 friends only to hide the posts from 4990. Nobody gives a crap how big your friends list is. If someone isn't your friend, don't add them. That's the most annoying thing about social networking and hopefully Google+ fixes this.
It both fixes and exacerbates it at the same time. It only really works like FB friends if you both have each other added. On the other hand, it's like Twitter and you can follow anyone as long as their profile is public and they don't block you. But you'd only be able to see things posted as public or possibly extended circles.

Vinci

Danish
nVidiot_Whore said:
Google+ for more ACTUAL sharing with ACTUAL friends and family.. Facebook for the show offs and the voyeurs, or the show off/voyeur aspect of your personality?

Wasn't that somewhat similar to its original intention - to 'see who was having sex and with whom'?

nVidiot_Whore said:
Strange assessment of the stats you have there.
The actual amount of people on Facebook is over 700 million. And even if you assume that all of the 250 million are smartphones (hint: they are not) the vast majority still doesn't have one.

Vinci

Danish
foodtaster said:
The actual amount of people on Facebook is over 700 million. And even if you assume that all of the 250 million are smartphones (hint: they are not) the vast majority still doesn't have one.

In time, that will change. There eventually won't be any other choice but to have a smartphone. So long as these applications scale across each model - which they will because it increases Google's social penetration - than eventually, at least in the developed world, everyone will be on it with their phones.

foodtaster said:

The bolded is entirely pointless.. if Facebook is under-reporting user stats, they'd be under-reporting mobile stats. They are reporting who is active.. which is far more interesting than "total accounts."

Of their active users, at least half appear to be using a mobile phone.

Are they all smartphones? The majority smartphones?

Who knows.. your claim that the "vast majority" don't have smartphones is not based on any proven fact.. certainly not proven by the stats you linked to.

marathonfool said:
I add people because I know them. Some people over share so I don't want to see their updates. I rather use Google+ as a living contact directory. I think that's how most people see Facebook and why so many people hate their newsfeed.

Give me an example of what your friend is sharing on Google+ that you don't want to see and what this friend is sharing that you want to see?

There are no "updates" in Google+. Every post you make is a post to a specific user group.

kehs

Banned
foodtaster said:

That's not what the stats says.

The stat says the site is accessed by 250 million devices. Not that only 250 million of their users have smart phone.

gcubed

well... that as fast.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/06/30/google-code-reveals-intent-to-unleash-games-and-questions-to-th/

Having a difficult time getting your honeydew list checked off because you're trying to level up in Mafia Wars? You may want to just chuck the whole sheet of paper in the trash. Buried deep in Google Plus' source code are a few curious references to at least two new services that may very well be destined for the invite-only social networking suite. The first is Google Games, the tech giant's first venture into the world of social gaming. While this isn't a big stunner -- recent job postings insinuated that this feature would come around sooner or later -- it makes perfect sense for it to be included as part of the Google+ experience to help strengthen Mountain View's bid against the likes of Facebook.

Baconbitz

Banned
I was thinking that maybe we should create a google document with all the people that are on google + from gaf. What do you guys think?

foodtaster said:
TLDR: If you don't have an android phone, but have a google+ account. Guess what you can do! circles and sparks (and hangouts)!

Still in a trial phase... I am sure once it launches for the actual public they will have iPhone and other app versions.

Copernicus said:
The stat says the site is accessed by 250 million devices.

No it doesn't...

There are more than 250 million active users currently accessing Facebook through their mobile devices.

It also says they are twice as active as non-mobile users.

So most likely.. most of them are using smart phones... but the guy you are responding to is claiming that the "vast majority don't have smart phones."

It's a strange analysis of stats that claim the most active users of Facebook, which includes at least half of their active users.. use some sort of mobile device. I doubt too many highly active Facebook mobile users are on non-smart phones.

kehs

Banned
gcubed said:

Google is going to assimilate onlive.

believe.

nVidiot_Whore said:
No it doesn't...

It also says they are twice as active as non-mobile users.

So most likely.. most of them are using smart phones... but the guy you are responding to is claiming that the "vast majority don't have smart phones."

It's a strange analysis of stats that claim the most active users of Facebook, which includes at least half of their active users.. use some sort of mobile device. I doubt too many highly active Facebook mobile users are on non-smart phones.
?

The stat says:

250 m / 500m Active users are accesising via a smarpthone.

I thought he was interpreting that as only 250m of Facebook's users own smartphones. Which would be wrong.

nVidiot_Whore said:
The bolded is entirely pointless.. if Facebook is under-reporting user stats, they'd be under-reporting mobile stats. They are reporting who is active.. which is far more interesting than "total accounts."

Of their active users, at least half appear to be using a mobile phone.

Are they all smartphones? The majority smartphones?

Who knows.. your claim that the "vast majority" don't have smartphones is not based on any proven fact.. certainly not proven by the stats you linked to.
Even in that case, simply take U.S smartphone penetration or perhaps developed country smartphone penetration and take that percentage and apply it to the 250 million. Still going to be a low figure. I hope you don't really think more than 50% of the 250 million are using smartphones when the U.S smart phone penetration isn't even anywhere near 50%

Simply sending a text to your Facebook makes you a 'mobile device.' Just to tell you how vague mobile device is. Try it yourself on facebook. Besides, I'm not talking about accessing, I'm talking about the percentage of Facebook users who own a smartphone. Ugh.

Top Bottom