• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Google+ |OT| A New Social Network

Slo

Honestly, I'm not liking G+'s privacy circles that much. I get why people don't want pictures of themselves passed out with Sharpie cocks drawn on their faces going to their co workers and parents, but too much privacy also takes the fun out of it for me. Facebook has turned some of my people who are barely acquaintances into friends because I see their camping pictures, I see their check-ins at a bar that I like, I see them post about how they like TV shows that I like. I can comment on them all and build a relationship with them. This will not happen with G+ because I'll probably not get any status updates from anybody who I'm not already super close with.

What's the point of social networking if you're only going to do it with people you are already close friends with? Why not just text them?

gcubed

Enco said:
Surely if you don't want to see a 'friend' they're not really a friend?

I don't understand the fb users that have 5000 friends only to hide the posts from 4990. Nobody gives a crap how big your friends list is. If someone isn't your friend, don't add them. That's the most annoying thing about social networking and hopefully Google+ fixes this.

about 6 months ago i deleted people that i knew, but dont ever talk to anymore. Now i only have a pretty small friend list full of people that i dont have to hide comments from, or worry about what i post

One thing Google should've spent much more time on is photo sharing and management, since that's a gateway drug to Facebook.

I like having Picasa as my photo manager, but they make it so annoying to share photos. First of all, I can set the visibility of an album to Public, Unlisted, or Private. Then, apart from the visibility, I can Share it with certain people. That's already too convoluted.

To top it off, they haven't updated the Picasa interface so that you can Share with +Circles yet. Yes, yes, I'm sure it's on the way and this is a field test, but that's the main thing they should be field testing!

Lastly, I use Picasa Web Albums as my photo database. I trust it over locally stored copies, so it's basically where my master photos are. As such, there are times I want to share an album of ~100 photos with my friends, except for 1 or 2 private ones. Since the option to keep a single photo private doesn't exist, my choices are to move the single photo to another album, which is annoying because I want to look at it as part of my e.g. vacation, or to copy the whole album, make one of the copies public and delete that photo from there. Argh.

foodtaster said:
Even in that case, simply take U.S smartphone penetration or perhaps developed country smartphone penetration and take that percentage and apply it to the 250 million. Still going to be a low figure. I hope you don't really think more than 50% of the 250 million are using smartphones when the U.S smart phone penetration isn't even anywhere near 50%

Why would these statistics have to be in parity?

You think Facebook usage across mobile phones is the same for smart phones and non smart phones?

You are simply terrible with statistics.

I'm not claiming the majority have smart phones.. but the idea that the "vast majority" don't is a bit silly.. the demographics for "smart phone owner" and "Facebook user" are pretty well synced.

Most people who own a smart phone are going to have a Facebook account.. and there are ten's of millions of smart phone owners in the US as an example... and only ~150 million active Facebook users. "Vast majority" don't have smart phones? Que? I'd say at least 25% do.

tycoonheart said:
Give me an example of what your friend is sharing on Google+ that you don't want to see and what this friend is sharing that you want to see?

There are no "updates" in Google+. Every post you make is a post to a specific user group.
It's a user I never added to any of my circles. They added me. Now my stream has stuff they are sharing which I never asked for. I'm going to add them to a specific circle in the future while I'm still figuring this out. Now imagine 100+ of these users clogging up my main stream homepage. Why would the ability to manage incoming shares be bad? Why should I have to delete people I know for not wanting to have a stream of shares from them?

From my impression, you expect people to add very select friends/family. This is not how social networks collectively work. To assume it will be the death of one.

Updates/shares...using the same meaning as of now.

kehs

Banned
Slo said:
Honestly, I'm not liking G+'s privacy circles that much. I get why people don't want pictures of themselves passed out with Sharpie cocks drawn on their faces going to their co workers and parents, but too much privacy also takes the fun out of it for me. Facebook has turned some of my people who are barely acquaintances into friends because I see their camping pictures, I see their check-ins at a bar that I like, I see them post about how they like TV shows that I like. I can comment on them all and build a relationship with them. This will not happen with G+ because I'll probably not get any status updates from anybody who I'm not already super close with.

What's the point of social networking if you're only going to do it with people you are already close friends with? Why not just text them?

"Post to Extended Circles"

gcubed

Battersea Power Station said:
One thing Google should've spent much more time on is photo sharing and management, since that's a gateway drug to Facebook.

I like having Picasa as my photo manager, but they make it so annoying to share photos. First of all, I can set the visibility of an album to Public, Unlisted, or Private. Then, apart from the visibility, I can Share it with certain people. That's already too convoluted.

To top it off, they haven't updated the Picasa interface so that you can Share with +Circles yet. Yes, yes, I'm sure it's on the way and this is a field test, but that's the main thing they should be field testing!

Lastly, I use Picasa Web Albums as my photo database. I trust it over locally stored copies, so it's basically where my master photos are. As such, there are times I want to share an album of ~100 photos with my friends, except for 1 or 2 private ones. Since the option to keep a single photo private doesn't exist, my choices are to move the single photo to another album, which is annoying because I want to look at it as part of my e.g. vacation, or to copy the whole album, make one of the copies public and delete that photo from there. Argh.

agreed, I use picasa as my photo database, my biggest hope is it gets a major upgrade out of this ordeal because its not the best out there for sharing, etc. It needs to allow for circles now, and if they are automatically uploading everything and want it for G+ sharing they need to upgrade their paltry limit.

Although its not telling me i'm using 2% of my limit, which as of a few weeks about was like 40%... but it still shows 1gb

oh, and nested albums would be nice

UltimaPooh said:
Still in a trial phase... I am sure once it launches for the actual public they will have iPhone and other app versions.

I wonder if they'll bother with WP7, considering it's nicknamed the "Facebook Phone" by some.

gcubed

Mr. Snrub said:
I wonder if they'll bother with WP7, considering it's nicknamed the "Facebook Phone" by some.

im sure if it starts gaining market share they will release an app for it

SimleuqiR

foodtaster said:
Even in that case, simply take U.S smartphone penetration or perhaps developed country smartphone penetration and take that percentage and apply it to the 250 million. Still going to be a low figure. I hope you don't really think more than 50% of the 250 million are using smartphones when the U.S smart phone penetration isn't even anywhere near 50%

Simply sending a text to your Facebook makes you a 'mobile device.' Just to tell you how vague mobile device is. Try it yourself on facebook. Besides, I'm not talking about accessing, I'm talking about the percentage of Facebook users who own a smartphone. Ugh.

What's the argument here? That G+ won't reach none smartphone users? That these FB users that don't use smartphones won't be able or won't want to try G+?

This whole back and forth started with the statement that an iPhone app is coming, since people complained that the only advantage of G+ was apparent when owning an Android device. Not sure what's the point of the statistics.

SimleuqiR said:
What's the argument here? That G+ won't reach none smartphone users? That these FB users that don't use smartphones won't be able or won't want to try G+?

This whole back and forth started with the statement that an iPhone app is coming, since people complained that the only advantage of G+ was apparent when owning an Android device. Not sure what's the point of the statistics.
The point was that half of the features are only currently accessible from Android phones. You can use Facebook from WebOS, Windows Phone, iPhone, Symbian, MeeGo, Blackberry, Maemo, etc.

kehs

Banned
marathonfool said:
It's a user I never added to any of my circles. They added me. Now my stream has stuff they are sharing which I never asked for. I'm going to add them to a specific circle in the future while I'm still figuring this out. Now imagine 100+ of these users clogging up my main stream homepage. Why would the ability to manage incoming shares be bad? Why should I have to delete people I know for not wanting to have a stream of shares from them?

From my impression, you expect people to add very select friends/family. This is not how social networks collectively work. To assume it will be the death of one.

Updates/shares...using the same meaning as of now.

? If you don't add someone to a circle, you'll never see any of their stuff, unless they share something with you specifically. In which case you woud want to see it, right?

foodtaster said:
The point was that half of the features are only currently accessible from Android phones. You can use Facebook from WebOS, Windows Phone, iPhone, Symbian, MeeGo, Blackberry, Maemo, etc.

You realized most mobile apps for facebooks are nowhere near feature complete, right?

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Slo said:

Sharpie cocks on the face to Inner Circle. Camping pictures to the Acquaintances and other more inclusive Circles.

There you have it.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
foodtaster said:

Half? Huddle... and what else?

thespot84

so for the stream...can I hide just one circle from the stream? I know i can view just one circle, but i want to view all but one (or more). Should definitely be a feature, circles are great for organizing contacts but some I just don't care to see what they post...

nVidiot_Whore said:
That's an interesting take on it, but I'm not convinced this is true.

Facebook is a bit of a joke to me.. people add tons of friends.. then simply remove them from their news feed.. again.. what was the point of that? So you can spy on them if you feel the need?

But it is interesting.. Facebook seems geared towards a combination of extroverts, and voyeurs.

Perhaps there's room for both of these Networks in people's lives?

Google+ for more ACTUAL sharing with ACTUAL friends and family.. Facebook for the show offs and the voyeurs, or the show off/voyeur aspect of your personality?

It's not even a huge technical difference.. it's not like you can't keep a Facebook profile fairly private.. and only share what you want with limited people.. it's just not the common usage.. and you are bound to get "Friend requests" that become extremely obvious that you've denied or ignored... that's one aspect of Facebook Google+ seems to be handling, but it's also causing some people confusion it appears.
This is the most cynical way of looking at how people use Facebook.

There's a tremendous utility behind social networks. From event planning, seeking groups of similar interest, professional contacts, or organizing contact information.

People add "friends" for different reasons. Not all of them are to be a voyeur or exhibition. The ability to completely manage incoming/outgoing shares would be the best way of connecting with close friends/family while keeping the vast utility of your extended social network.

Kinitari said:
Half? Huddle... and what else?
Advertised features for Google+:

Sparks
Hangout
Instant Upload
Huddle
Circles
Mobile App

Features exclusive to android:
Instant Upload
Mobile App (Location based Stream/Circles)
Huddle

3/6 = 1/2 = 50%

kehs

Banned
foodtaster said:

Sparks
Hangout
Instant Upload
Huddle
Circles
Mobile App

Instant Upload
Mobile App
Huddle

3/6 = 1/2 = 50%

Did you at least chuckle before sliding "mobile app" as a "feature" for android?

Phoenix

foodtaster said:

Without a doubt access to other devices is coming as is likely access to much of the platform through some sort of API. That's just the Google way of doing things.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
foodtaster said:

Sparks
Hangout
Instant Upload
Huddle
Circles
Mobile App

Instant Upload
Mobile App (Location based Stream/Circles)
Huddle

3/6 = 1/2 = 50%

Really bro?

Copernicus said:
Did you at least chuckle before sliding "mobile app" as a "feature" for android?
It's not really a feature because of the mobile app, moreso because of the exclusive things you can do with the android mobile app specifically that you cannot do with the browser. You can do pretty much anything on Facebook mobile, including uploading pictures. Not too worried about it because Google+ will probably support everything by the Fall 2011 school year if Google is smart.

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
Best thing about this is that facebook might actually release some new useful features to keep people from jumping ship,

Competition is good.

SimleuqiR

foodtaster said:

But then you argued that most people on FB are NOT using a mobile device to access it. What do they use then?

foodtaster said:
It's not really a feature because of the mobile app, moreso because of the exclusive things you can do with the android mobile app specifically that you cannot do with the browser. You can do pretty much anything on Facebook mobile, including uploading pictures. Not too worried about it because Google+ will probably support everything by the Fall 2011 school year if Google is smart.

Oh, I see your point.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
thespot84 said:
so for the stream...can I hide just one circle from the stream? I know i can view just one circle, but i want to view all but one (or more). Should definitely be a feature, circles are great for organizing contacts but some I just don't care to see what they post...
Not from what I can tell. Submit feedback. I'll do the same right now.

Copernicus said:
? If you don't add someone to a circle, you'll never see any of their stuff, unless they share something with you specifically. In which case you woud want to see it, right?
I think I figured it out. They should be relegated to my Incoming circle. I added them to a Circle briefly, but removed them a little later. They must have posted stuff while they were in the circle. They feed doesn't update to reflect the changes when you add/remove people in the circle.

marathonfool said:
This is the most cynical way of looking at how people use Facebook.

There's a tremendous utility behind social networks. From event planning, seeking groups of similar interest, professional contacts, or organizing contact information.

People add "friends" for different reasons. Not all of them are to be a voyeur or exhibition. The ability to completely manage incoming/outgoing shares would be the best way of connecting with close friends/family while keeping the vast utility of your extended social network.

I'm fairly cynical about Facebook, admittedly. But it's from actually using the service, not simply analyzing it from a technical perspective.

I'm not cynical of Facebook itself, I'm cynical of how people use it.

Which is why I said this:

It's not even a huge technical difference.. it's not like you can't keep a Facebook profile fairly private.. and only share what you want with limited people.. it's just not the common usage

Facebook doesn't force people to be extroverts or voyeurs, or to not actually use Facebook for something actually.. well.. USEFUL.. but in my experience, it's how people use it. They send out massive ammounts of friend requests to people they barely know.. or don't even know at all, but happened to maybe go to the same school so they know their name.. they post details of their lives that are not interesting whatsoever.. and don't serve them any purpose other than to simply "share stuff", which I can only imagine they like the idea of people seeing what they are up to..

More often than not I'd see "friends" posting about events that have already happened.. that they didn't organize in the first place on Facebook.

SimleuqiR said:
But then you argued that most people on FB are NOT using a mobile device to access it. What do they use then?
I argued that most people aren't using a smart phone, not a mobile device. A mobile device according to facebook is having a phone that can access the internet or connect with facebook via text. Or in other words, any phone made from year 2000 or newer.

EDIT: I'm not trying to hate on Google+, it's pretty cool actually. I have about 20 people in my circle. It's good, but you guys have to be critical if you want it to stand a chance against Facebook.

P.S I was one of the cheerleaders for Buzz and Wave and look where I ended up. I ain't failing a third time.

kehs

Banned
marathonfool said:
I think I figured it out. They should be relegated to my Incoming circle. I added them to a Circle briefly, but removed them a little later. They must have posted stuff while they were in the circle. They feed doesn't update to reflect the changes when you add/remove people in the circle.

Yeah, I noticed this too last night, their feeds aren't automaticallly pulled until you refresh.

gcubed

1) they need to bring the photo browsing method over to picasa ASAP.

2) They need to reactivate invites so i have someone to use G+ with

SimleuqiR

foodtaster said:
I argued that most people aren't using a smart phone, not a mobile device. A mobile device according to facebook is having a phone that can access the internet or connect with facebook via text. Or in other words, any phone made from year 2000 or newer.

EDIT: I'm not trying to hate on Google+, it's pretty cool actually. I have about 20 people in my circle. It's cool, but you guys have to be critical if you want it to stand a chance against Facebook.

P.S I was one of the cheerleaders for Buzz and Wave and look where I ended up. I ain't failing a third time.

People can still access the mobile site of G+. But I understand and agree with your point about the browser (web) version having missing features.

kaching said:
Chat does that, just like in Gmail, but you have to enable it first in G+. Look on the left under the Sparks section and enable chat if you haven't already.
Ah, hah. Didn't notice that. Thanks!

Bboy AJ said:
There's an email button on the left side of profiles. If that's not what you're looking for, why? Curious.
Just for the fact that I have to rely on them checking their e-mail rather than them getting a notification that immediately lets them know that they have a message from me.

nVidiot_Whore said:
I'm fairly cynical about Facebook, admittedly. But it's from actually using the service, not simply analyzing it from a technical perspective.

I'm not cynical of Facebook itself, I'm cynical of how people use it.

Which is why I said this:
The difference in Google+ is huge. It asks you how you want to share the individual content every time you post it. There's a big emphasis on content sharing filtering that is outgoing. Not so much incoming though, which is what I also desire.

Phoenix

Marius_ said:
Best thing about this is that facebook might actually release some new useful features to keep people from jumping ship,

Competition is good.

And it looks like some bigger competition is coming as Google is looking for someone to run Google Games which will undoubtedly leverage their Web Store platform for games in the Google+ social network. Should be interesting to see this develop and see how much Facebook has to backpedal when they realize that they truly aren't the only game in town anymore (myspace doesn't count and hasn't counted for years now).

foodtaster said:
I argued that most people aren't using a smart phone

No, you said the "vast majority" don't own a smart phone.

I personally think it's quite the exaggeration.

Smart phone adoption is pretty high in many places.. and increasing fairly rapidly.. and expected to continue to increase.

http://blog.nielsen.com/nielsenwire/?p=25901

As of December 2010, nearly a third (31%) of all mobile consumers in the United States owned smartphones,

It's significantly higher in the UK, and other European territories.

The majority of Facebook users don't have a smartphone.. sure.. that's obvious.. "vast majority" though? A bit of an exaggeration.. and by the end of 2011, the "majority" probably will have smart phones as penetration in most major regions is expected to break 50%.

And according to Facebook.. mobile users in general are by far their most "active users".. so they would be the biggest target for anyone trying to compete.. since the most "active users" are also the reason the "not so active" users are on the service.

marathonfool said:
The difference in Google+ is huge. It asks you how you want to share the individual content every time you post it. There's a big emphasis on content sharing filtering that is outgoing. Not so much incoming though, which is what I also desire.

There is an option to block people.

giga

dk_ said:
Wtf, why can't I use my iPad? When I try to post something no keys pop up. :-/
Working here

RQWxX.png

UltimaPooh said:
There is an option to block people.
Read up. It not only blocks them, it deletes them from you circles and doesn't allow them to comment on anything you share. They can only see what you share publicly.

It's not a block button, it's a banishment button.

Bboy AJ

wario said:
just found out you can post animated gifs
I'm going to go for the top +1 comment with this:

2580936_7nv3a_24696227.gif

kehs

Banned
marathonfool said:
Read up. It not only blocks them, it deletes them from you circles and doesn't allow them to comment on anything you share. They can only see what you share publicly.

I'm sorry but I don't seem to get why you want someone in your circles that you don't want to do anything with.

Veidt

Blasphemer who refuses to accept bagged milk as his personal savior
Baconbitz said:
Man is totally off base. It sounds like he hasn't yet used the service. Especially considering his reproaches. G+ beats Facebook on the simplicity front in every sense. It also 'just works'- and is not littered with the complications that follow facebook. Also, I wouldn't be surprised if he was sponsored by Facebook or something.

All Google really has to do is advertise this service like they advertise google chrome and make those ads extra simple.They'll have people just switching over in no time.

Enco

marathonfool said:

I just don't understand why anyone would want to block someone but give them the ability to comment on your things.. it just makes no sense at all to me.

As for the youtube video, I kinda agree about simplicity. Google is great with design though I think. I agree with the guys comment on the fact that wherever most your friends go, you'll go. If Google+ gets big and your friends switch over, great! If not, it's gonna be tough.

Top Bottom