• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Google+ |OT| A New Social Network

SimleuqiR

radioheadrule83 said:
God damn it, I added all of the GAFfers manually.. people will just be able to use the VCF file now!

Just tried the VCF file and got this:

Sorry, we weren't able to process that file. We support most CSV and vCard formats with up to 4000 contacts. You might want to try using a different format or limiting the number of contacts per file.

Not sure why it doesn't like the file.

Try importing it to gmail (be sure to have them stored in a contact folder) and then export that again as a CVS or Vcard file... surely G+ will be able to read an address book file that Gmail exports

SimleuqiR

radioheadrule83 said:
Try importing it to gmail (be sure to have them stored in a contact folder) and then export that again as a CVS or Vcard file... surely G+ will be able to read an address book file that Gmail exports

That worked, and it actually merged the contacts I already had. Everyone from GAF now resides in a NeoGaf contact group. :)

Edit:

NeoGaf Contact Group: 241

NeoGaf Circle: 238

kehs

Banned
http://www.onionsportsnetwork.com/articles/tim-duncan-sends-teammates-google-invitations-for,20947/

Tim Duncan Sends Teammates Google+ Invitations For Fifth Consecutive Day

SAN ANTONIO—For nearly a week, Spurs center Tim Duncan has reportedly emailed his teammates invitations to join him on Google’s new social networking site, Google+. “Please join soon, as I’ve already begun sharing game plans and upcoming events via Google+’s Circles feature,” Duncan wrote in an email Tuesday, adding that team chemistry “may suffer” if people don’t have access to each other’s +1’s. “I’ve pinned the San Antonio Spurs under my Sparks, and you should too as soon as you’ve set up your profiles. And, also, guys, please switch out your old Comcast and Earthlink email accounts for new GMail ones so we can communicate easier via Google Groups.” As of press time, no Spurs player has entered Duncan’s current Google+ Hangout.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Duncan should work on figuring out his retirement plans instead. Maybe his +1 requests are for a retirement island.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Google+ Traffic Growth Continues, Up 283% From Previous Week
Numbers from Experian Hitwise show that Google+ showed big gains again last week. For the week ending on July 16th Google+ saw over 1.8 million total visits. This is a 283% increase from the previous week and an increase of 821% from the week of July 2nd.

. . . .

Hitwise states that 57% of the total visits are from males, even though other reports show a much higher percentages of actual users being male. The largest demographic of visitors over the last week four weeks was the 25-34 age range which made up 38.37% of the total traffic.

Google was a leading traffic source for their own social network, sending 56% of the upstream traffic to Google+ from their various properties. Google.com led the way for this traffic, accounting for 34% % of the total upstream traffic.
http://searchengineland.com/google-...eed&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=feed-main

AVclub

Over the last week or so, I've started using G+ much less, but when I go there, I still find a great assortment of links and content from the people in my circles. It's becoming more of a feed than a social networking site for me.

kinggroin

Banned
AVclub said:
Over the last week or so, I've started using G+ much less, but when I go there, I still find a great assortment of links and content from the people in my circles. It's becoming more of a feed than a social networking site for me.

It took about two days or so of use before realizing that it's anything but facebook. It's kind of become a sort of GAF sub forum forbthe OT. So that's cool.

SimleuqiR

PaulLFC said:
Could anyone direct me to the GAF .vcf? I checked the OP and the last 10 pages or so but couldn't find anything.

Is in the G+ post where a whole bunch of GAFers have posted (it's on the OP). Someone was kind enough to put the file together and link it in that Mega G+ post.

PaulLFC

SimleuqiR said:
Is in the G+ post where a whole bunch of GAFers have posted (it's on the OP). Someone was kind enough to put the file together and link it in that Mega G+ post.

Ah yeah, got it now, thanks.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
_dementia said:
It's an onion article
what's an onion? they are more credible than espn i'm sure. lbj basically tells espn what to do anyway lol

kehs

Banned
Google+ has finally defined it's place on the Internet.

If you ever need a Facebook Vs Twitter Vs Google+ Vs Misc.Service. You know where to go.

There is this annoying issue when it comes to sharing links on social networking sites whereby the article description and thumbnail fail to be displayed. Sometimes one link will work, whereas another article, from the same website, will not. Tonight it's taken a new turn.

Article A
Article B

They are both from my blog. Article A when shared on Facebook only shows the URL and nothing else (which makes it hard to get noticed). Article B however works fine, displaying thumbnail and description.

On Google Plus, Article A works fine whereas Article B does not - the complete opposite situation with Facebook. What is causing this?

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
Meus Renaissance said:
There is this annoying issue when it comes to sharing links on social networking sites whereby the article description and thumbnail fail to be displayed. Sometimes one link will work, whereas another article, from the same website, will not. Tonight it's taken a new turn.

Article A
Article B

They are both from my blog. Article A when shared on Facebook only shows the URL and nothing else (which makes it hard to get noticed). Article B however works fine, displaying thumbnail and description.

On Google Plus, Article A works fine whereas Article B does not - the complete opposite situation with Facebook. What is causing this?

Article A is a Google+ sympathizer while Article B hates change.

I have no idea. I have experienced what seem like glitches on G+ myself but this seems to be an issue with both of those sites. You could try reporting it for G+ as feedback - at the very least it may help with G+.

kehs

Banned
Meus Renaissance said:

Article A
Article B

As far as I know, G+ only supports 1 url for description/thumbnail.

iavi

Has anybody else using Surplus noticed that Gmail says that their account is open in another location? I've disabled the plugin, for now, and it seems to have gone away, but I just want to make sure that it was that and not something way worse.

eznark

Banned
So huddles are fantastic. I've got my wife and two of our really close friends using Google+ and we're liking the myriad communication features...but fuck me, why can I not also use huddle on my pc?

eznark said:
So huddles are fantastic. I've got my wife and two of our really close friends using Google+ and we're liking the myriad communication features...but fuck me, why can I not also use huddle on my pc?

I concur with this. I'm not a big fan of Google+, but Huddle is just flat out awesome.

kehs

Banned
So about that vcf file....I'm uploading it and nothing happens. It only marks people I already have in my circles, but I don't see any way to add anyone I don't.

I might be missing a step.

Audioboxer

Copernicus said:
So about that vcf file....I'm uploading it and nothing happens. It only marks people I already have in my circles, but I don't see any way to add anyone I don't.

I might be missing a step.

I couldn't get it working either, so I just manually added everyone... all 265 people now residing in my NeoGAF circle.

Enco

typo said:
I concur with this. I'm not a big fan of Google+, but Huddle is just flat out awesome.
It just need to run on desktops and iPod touches. Then I can finally forget about facebook. Until then it's not going anywhere.

Koodo

Banned
I don't get the excitement over Huddle. Isn't that just a messenger in the vein of Whatsapp or BBM or etc-too-many-to-name?

Mairu

Koodo said:
I don't get the excitement over Huddle. Isn't that just a messenger in the vein of Whatsapp or BBM or etc-too-many-to-name?
Not being able to access Huddle on the web interface seems really stupid, hopefully they will add it in the future.

Hylian7

Is there still no word on when the G+ API is coming out? I had an idea for something I want to write for it: Something that uses the Steam API to keep the circles you choose up to date when you're playing something on Steam, and a link to join the server you're playing in if it's a multiplayer game. This is obviously just a thought in my head right now, but I'll have to look more into the Steam API to see if what all I'm thinking is possible.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
What's the small orange envelope icon (in the top-right corner of the contact rectangles in the Circle page) supposed to mean?

d3dWv.png

Unread e-mails from that contact?

Audioboxer

I dun goofed.

Thought all the contacts in my gmail under "other contacts" could be deleted to stop them appearing on my mobile, but in doing that it deletes everyone in your circles :(

Having to re-add a lot!

Enco

I dun goofed.

Thought all the contacts in my gmail under "other contacts" could be deleted to stop them appearing on my mobile, but in doing that it deletes everyone in your circles :(

Having to re-add a lot!
That happened to me.

Luckily Google has a nice restore button that saved me a lot of time.

Audioboxer

Enco said:
That happened to me.

Luckily Google has a nice restore button that saved me a lot of time.

It does? /cry

Manually added everyone on GAF again :'( Does that restore button restore all your circles as well, or just the contacts?

kehs

Banned
Jocchan said:
What's the small orange envelope icon (in the top-right corner of the contact rectangles in the Circle page) supposed to mean?

d3dWv.png

Unread e-mails from that contact?

Contacts imported from hotmail.

Songbird

Prodigal Son
Wow, this whole thing is pretty complicated. So I want to add as many people I know from GAF and the sub-communities into different circles - I have to do this person by person? Sounds tricky without an official GAF group.

Top Bottom