• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GOP votes to end rule stopping coal mining debris from being dumped in streams

Status
Not open for further replies.
Who needs water anyway?

(WASHINGTON) — Moving to dismantle former President Barack Obama's legacy on the environment and other issues, House Republicans approved a measure Wednesday that scuttles a regulation aimed at preventing coal mining debris from being dumped into nearby streams.

Lawmakers also voted to rescind a separate rule requiring companies to disclose payments made to foreign governments relating to mining and drilling.

Republicans said the votes were first in a series of actions to reverse years of what they see as excessive government regulation during Obama's presidency. Rules on fracking, guns and federal contracting also are in the cross-hairs as the GOP moves to void a host of regulations finalized during Obama's last months in office.

"Make no mistake about it, this Obama administration rule is not designed to protect streams. Instead, it was an effort to regulate the coal mining industry right out of business," said Rep. Bill Johnson, R-Ohio, who sponsored the disapproval measure on the stream protection rule.
http://time.com/4657438/congressional-republicans-environmental-regulations-coal-streams/

nynt9

republicanconvention.png

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
"Make no mistake about it, this Obama administration rule is not designed to protect streams. Instead, it was an effort to regulate the coal mining industry right out of business," said Rep. Bill Johnson, R-Ohio, who sponsored the disapproval measure on the stream protection rule.

FUCKING LOL. These assholes.

"Make no mistake about it, this Obama administration rule is not designed to protect streams. Instead, it was an effort to regulate the coal mining industry right out of business"

Stopping coal mining waste from being dumped into local streams.

Man, Obama was so devious.

FeL6Pp.gif

So the only way the coal industry can survive is if they can dump their garbage into streams? Did I read that right you fucking idiot?

Al-ibn Kermit

I work in water quality at a large utility and I was thinking earlier today about how the EPA stepped up water quality checks since the Flint disaster but now with Trump's deregulation and coal mining/fracking and whatever else getting unchained, we are headed for something much larger than Flint or Hurricane Katrina.

Fixing a fucked up water source/distribution system is incredibly expensive. Doing that for a bunch of small, semi-rural communities is just a nightmare since the cost per customer is enormous.

Sooo.... if it is the regulation wasn't put in place to protect streams and you repeal it and they dump waste in the streams are the streams going to be fine in his eyes?

Silly me I am trying to find logic where there is none. No logic only money matters.

Maximus.

Hahaha oh man. It's crazy how blind so many are that the GOP don't care about the environment or the people they pretend to represent.

Not everyone deserves it, but those with hubris and arrogance do.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Bit worried The Onion is gonna have to close over the next 8 years.

Not going to feel bad for the people who live near these mines when their kids start having health issues. They continually vote against their Intreast, not a single tear will be shead.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
The GOP wake up every morning thinking to themselves, how can we screw people today?

Let these communities destroy themselves if they're so damned determined to do so. Their legacy to their children can come in the form of cancer that they won't be insured for.

Loudninja

This is one of the dumbest things I read and that says alot.

Lets destroy what little fresh water we have and marine life cuz why not.

Phobophile

A scientist and gentleman in the manner of Batman.
Glad to see American conservatives being outstanding conservationists. They're finally putting their ideology to good use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom